HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen to OTT for 2nd and Picard

Old
02-13-2010, 03:55 PM
geehaad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
this comes off as a little dickish, but it's starting to get really old.
It's not *starting* to get old, it done been there already. It's like these Ottawa fans refuse to read even a single post of the current thread conversation to see that what they are about to say has been said 50 times already.

HEY OTTAWA FANS, WE GET THAT YOU'RE DISAPPOINTED WITH PICARD

Lurk a little before posting why don't ya...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
It's not *starting* to get old, it done been there already. It's like these Ottawa fans refuse to read even a single post of the current thread conversation to see that what they are about to say has been said 50 times already.

HEY OTTAWA FANS, WE GET THAT YOU'RE DISAPPOINTED WITH PICARD

Lurk a little before posting why don't ya...
Cut and past time saver for some Sens fans.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But Picard is no Corvo and if you think so you will be disappointed.

I personally loved Corvo and his game but Picard is just brutal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I personally didn't notice Picard out there at all tonight.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I personally didn't notice Picard out there at all tonight.
but the 2nd round pick kicked *** tonight.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
but the 2nd round pick kicked *** tonight.
Agreed. The team really seemed to rally around the 2nd round pick. Its locker room presence is great.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

He sucked tonight

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
He sucked tonight

Agreed - he was the Invisible Man. Did NOTHING to defend against New Jersey's forwards, didn't check, didn't block shots, in general he didn't contribute one bit to the total team effort.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Damn that Picard guy

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:44 PM
GoCanes2013

The Hurricanes have placed their 2010 (Ott) 2nd round pick on waivers today, after last night's terrible showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Agreed - he was the Invisible Man. Did NOTHING to defend against New Jersey's forwards, didn't check, didn't block shots, in general he didn't contribute one bit to the total team effort.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiRuutu View Post
The Hurricanes have placed their 2010 (Ott) 2nd round pick on waivers today, after last night's terrible showing.
So if another team picks it up on re-entry, does it become two 4th round picks?

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Caniac View Post
So if another team picks it up on re-entry, does it become two 4th round picks?
Or does it become 2 √2 round picks? I knew I was a liberal arts major for a reason!

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Zillaege

Hi guys, another Sens fan here, I'm not sure how much you'll really want my opinion, but I thought I'd share it anyway:

Picard will need to be sheltered at even strength, but he'll help you on special teams. He can play both PP and PK, and is adequate at both. His biggest strength by far is his shot, it's not a laser beam but he has a very accurate slap shot and has great shot selection, he's very adept at simply getting wrist shots through when theres a forward in the shooting lane. He can handle himself in the corners, but his transition game is god-awful and he can really kill you at even strength. Theres not much of a need for outlet passes on special teams though so he can excel there.

I think his biggest issue is simply confidence. He'll have time and space coming out of his own zone, then hesitate, hesitate, run out of time and turn the puck over. He'll also pass the puck off almost immediately in the offensive zone rather than use his shot to create scoring chances. This is completely subjective, but his body language and facial expressions really give the impression he lacks confidence. If he can learn to just make simple, easy outlet passes, and be a little more patient on the blueline, he could be a decent #4, but as is, he's at best a bottom pairing defenseman right now.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:50 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Zillaege, that sounds like a player who not only lacks confidence but fails to understand the system he is being asked to play. Hesitating to make a clear outlet pass suggests some uncertainty about where the play is supposed to go.

Is it fair to say that he might be able to thrive in a different system, or does the problem seem to be between his ears?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Zillaege

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Zillaege, that sounds like a player who not only lacks confidence but fails to understand the system he is being asked to play. Hesitating to make a clear outlet pass suggests some uncertainty about where the play is supposed to go.

Is it fair to say that he might be able to thrive in a different system, or does the problem seem to be between his ears?
I would suspect the problems between his ears, as he's played under 2 different coaches and 2 very different systems, but has had limited success in both instances. Bryan Murray has also mentioned that Clouston does a good job in simplifying the game, which you would think make it easier on Picard, but that clearly hasn't been the case. 2 coaches isn't a very big sample size though, and by all accounts he played a good 20 games for the Bolts in 07/08 and Bolts fans were sad to see him go, so I wouldn't rule out that he just wasn't a good fit in Ottawa.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:24 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Let's hope so, though it is troubling to know he struggles with outlet passes in a relatively simple system. Perhaps he's fighting the play out of fear from past mistakes.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Picard is a good #5-6 defenseman and not as bad as what some Sens fans are saying here.

A lot of Sens fans decided they were going to blame him for anything going wrong with the team this year. They wanted him waived before the season even started. Reality is that he outplayed everybody not named Phillips or Volchenkov coming out of the training camp. He was playing top 4 minutes and often was the most used defenseman.

Nobody wanted to admit it because they all wanted him gone before the season but he was playing very well at that time. Then the haters got what they wanted, he had a brutal period against Nashville. Deflected two goals in his own net and then gave the puck away on the third goal. A -3 period. From that point, no matter how well he played, Sens fans said he was brutal. He could play a perfect game (0 giveaway, +1, 2 hits, 2blocked shots,) it did not matter, he was brutal.

Now I'm not saying he didn't struggled or played great all year, he does make mistakes. Before the Sens went on their 11 game run, Ottawa lost 5 in a row and Picard was having a tough time (so did our goaltenders). Karlsson, Campoli and Picard all got scratched a couple of times leading up to the winning streak but then Karlsson started playing like an NHL all star and Campoli scored the winning goal in the first game. Picard was the odd-man out when Volchenkov and Kuba came back from injury.

The good: Picard's shot is always on net. He will go for the soft accurate shot rather than the wide slap shot. If you have a guy standing in front of the net capable of deflecting shots, Picard could get his share of points. He likes joining the rush which is one of the things we don't have enough of. He's got a great first pass and can hit guys for a breakaway but those high risk attempts could lead to turnovers in the neutral zone.

The bad: He's kind of soft for his size, is an average skater, can be beat on the outside because he plays the puck rather than the man (although he has a good poke check) and is not the best positionally. But at the same time, I just described you Kuba, our highest paid defenseman who was before the winning streak, by far the biggest disappointment this season. If you offered me Picard at 800K or Kuba at 3.7M, I would take Picard. He's not any worse defensively and he's actually capable of helping a PP for much less. If Picard played the first PP unit instead of Kuba, he would have more points than him and our PP would probably not be 30th in the league. But sometimes ice time is decided by the pay check and Kuba always got that first PP shift while Picard and Campoli had the last 30 seconds when the puck is 200 feet from the offensive zone.

Having said all that, he is not another Joe Corvo. Joe is better than Picard. When he plays with confidence, he's a guy capable of playing top 4 minutes but probably more suited for #5-6 role. In Ottawa, we have Karlsson and eventually Cowen coming up. I think he knew he was not part of future plans and it showed in his play. Almost two year after the Meszaros trade, we probably got more out of him than what Tampa got from Mez.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
GoCanes2013

I'll put this here so Canes fans can vote. Senators fans (who just by history FAR outnumber Canes fanbase) seem to think Volchenkov is BY FAR a better player than Tim Gleason. We've given that he's a better shot blocker and mean hitter, but overall FAR better than Gleason? Pure rubbish.

Go vote for Tim!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=739368

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:40 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

I wouldn't change Timma for Volchenkov.

It's really very close but next Volchenkov contract will be at least 4.5-5.
He can throw big hits than Gleason and he blocks shot better than Timmy. Nothing else. Gleasssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooon!

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

One of the Sens fans brought out the real reason for their opinions of why Gleason isn't comparable. It's because "he didn't want to play in Canada". After all, you just need to watch them play. Volchenkov plays in Ottawa, and Gleason doesn't.

Not even worth it to debate with them. They've already drunk the kool-aid.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Caniac View Post
One of the Sens fans brought out the real reason for their opinions of why Gleason isn't comparable. It's because "he didn't want to play in Canada". After all, you just need to watch them play. Volchenkov plays in Ottawa, and Gleason doesn't.

Not even worth it to debate with them. They've already drunk the kool-aid.
I'm not going over to the Ottawa board to debate it, because I don't enjoy debating with kids. I'll just throw my two cents in here.

It's a toss up - the two players are even in pretty much every category. If I had to choose one to log PP minutes, I'd definitely choose Gleason. Whoever said that Volch's shot is better than Gleason's is smoking a big ol' fatty. Gleason's passing ability is better, and more decisive. The pendulum swings Volch's way on overall defense, and especially so in shot-blocking. He's like another goalie for the Sens, I swear. In the Capitals game last week, I think he blocked 6 or 7 Ovechkin shots. That's something you absolutely have to pay for. Maybe the most noteworthy aspect of Volch's game is the open-ice hit...I don't think a lot of players are looking around for Gleason, but they sure as hell keep their head up for Volchenkov. Gleason is pretty solid along the boards and in the corners, though. I'd almost call that area a wash.

One last thing...there is a definite chemistry between Anton and Chris Phillips, so that absolutely plays into all of the man-crushes from Sens fans. I can't really see any pairing that would be similar on the Canes...maybe the Aaron Ward from 4 years ago paired with Gleason, that would be money. Anyways, just my perspective.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I'm not going over to the Ottawa board to debate it, because I don't enjoy debating with kids. I'll just throw my two cents in here.

It's a toss up - the two players are even in pretty much every category. If I had to choose one to log PP minutes, I'd definitely choose Gleason. Whoever said that Volch's shot is better than Gleason's is smoking a big ol' fatty. Gleason's passing ability is better, and more decisive. The pendulum swings Volch's way on overall defense, and especially so in shot-blocking. He's like another goalie for the Sens, I swear. In the Capitals game last week, I think he blocked 6 or 7 Ovechkin shots. That's something you absolutely have to pay for. Maybe the most noteworthy aspect of Volch's game is the open-ice hit...I don't think a lot of players are looking around for Gleason, but they sure as hell keep their head up for Volchenkov. Gleason is pretty solid along the boards and in the corners, though. I'd almost call that area a wash.

One last thing...there is a definite chemistry between Anton and Chris Phillips, so that absolutely plays into all of the man-crushes from Sens fans. I can't really see any pairing that would be similar on the Canes...maybe the Aaron Ward from 4 years ago paired with Gleason, that would be money. Anyways, just my perspective.
It is normal to like your player better than the other teams player when it is close. For me (maybe not for everyone), I have a very tough time judging DMEN without watching them LIVE. On TV/WEB, the camera follows the puck so much, you don't always get to see what the DMAN is doing without the puck. How is his skating, what did he do before he made the decision to pinch, how is his positioning on the weakside, etc...

I've always liked Anton but honestly don't see him enough live to be able to compare to Gleason. I will say this..Gleason is probably under-rated by other fans, but over-rated by many Canes fans. I like him and am glad he is on the team, but I'd prefer him as a 3 vs. a 1-2. He'll have games where he looks like a world-beater, then will lay a couple of eggs. Thankfully, his good games outweigh is bad by a good margin. I also don't think Tim is as good a skater as some of the better dman. He is tough, physical and plays with a lot of heart though (and is showing more offensive ability).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
ice_chip Consensus at RecZone: Picard resembles David Tanabe, who also wore No. 45.
lol.

02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
cool, CG can wear her turkey Tanabe avi picture again.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
I knew JR would find a way to get Tanabe back.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote