HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turris and Zibanejad potentially elite center combo

Old
04-19-2014, 07:31 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Turris and Zibanejad potentially elite center combo

Turris (24 3rd overall)
Zibanejad (21 6th overall)

Sign Zibanejad to a Turris type extension... be set at the C position for the next half decade as these two players continue to develop.

Zibanejad probably gets 20-25G 40-50Pts and 200Hits with increased minutes and better wingers next season.

Could become a 30G 60-70 point 250 hit two-way force in a couple seasons.

People say how does the Sens replace Spezza? The Sens have two young top drafted centers... Both can be 30G 60-70 point two-way forces with Z providing a physical edge the top six lacks.

I'd deal all the 2015 UFAs for pieces that fit in Turris and Zibanejads age range... in 2-3 years when the combo begins to peak, that is the time to go for the cup

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
They definitely have the potential to be an elite combo. Very exciting to think about.

But it hasn't happened yet. No sense piling more expectations on the kids' shoulders.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 07:59 AM
trentmccleary

Fisher and Vermette.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 08:04 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I do think Zibanejad will score 30 within the next two seasons. His shooting skills are great.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Fisher and Vermette.
The abilities of those 2 players were taken for granted for most of their time here. People were always looking to replace them with imaginary players.

Same thing could be said for Nick Foligno at LW/C. Apparently we had tons of prospects looking to take their jobs.

Turris/Zibanejad have the potential to be an excellent tandem. Maybe not PPG type centers but reliable 2 way 50-65 pt guys who can play against anybody.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:26 AM
DHins

Hopefully, but also very likely average #1 and #2 centers in the league

DHins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:36 AM
DueDiligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Turris (24 3rd overall)
Zibanejad (21 6th overall)

Sign Zibanejad to a Turris type extension... be set at the C position for the next half decade as these two players continue to develop.

Zibanejad probably gets 20-25G 40-50Pts and 200Hits with increased minutes and better wingers next season.

Could become a 30G 60-70 point 250 hit two-way force in a couple seasons.

People say how does the Sens replace Spezza? The Sens have two young top drafted centers... Both can be 30G 60-70 point two-way forces with Z providing a physical edge the top six lacks.

I'd deal all the 2015 UFAs for pieces that fit in Turris and Zibanejads age range... in 2-3 years when the combo begins to peak, that is the time to go for the cup
So your definition of "Elite" is a 60-70 point player????? Wow standards sure have dropped!!!
Seriously they are both good players and but I think Turris tops out at 65 pts. and Zbad at 60 pts. And that is if everything goes well for them. But neither is elite.

DueDiligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:43 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueDiligence View Post
So your definition of "Elite" is a 60-70 point player????? Wow standards sure have dropped!!!
Seriously they are both good players and but I think Turris tops out at 65 pts. and Zbad at 60 pts. And that is if everything goes well for them. But neither is elite.
I'd argue Krejci - Bergeron is an elite combo and Turris - Zibanejad can be every bit as good as those two.

More to the game then offense... only a few players PPG now... game is evolving

Old
04-19-2014, 09:49 AM
OgieO

I think they can be a very solid tandem that could be difficult to play against. If that's the direction we want to go, I think we could be successful but I doubt ANYONE would ever call these two an elite duo up the middle. If Zibby was going to be "elite" he'd have shown more by now. I think he's good, but above average #2C good, not #1C good.

If we get lucky and Zibby and Lazar mesh, we could have the makings of a very good top two lines that handle both ends well. I think you'd want to make sure you had a D group that could pitch in and help create offense though (yes, EK is a very good start). You'd also have to shed some dead weight in the back 6 that don't pitch in enough scoring (Greening & Condra) to help make up what you lose from Spezza.

You're PP also suffers if you move Spezza but you're idea of moving him for assets that fit the age group of the rest of our players has lots of merit, no question. I'd love to add another elite dman that can score 50 points and log 25+ mins. Those guys are super rare to find though.

Last edited by hockeyalltheway: 04-19-2014 at 10:41 AM.
OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:03 AM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
I'd argue Krejci - Bergeron is an elite combo and Turris - Zibanejad can be every bit as good as those two.

More to the game then offense... only a few players PPG now... game is evolving
I completely agree.

The days of the 100 point player is gone for now. There are only a couple players that can routinely play well above a PPG and these are generational talents. A 1-2 centre punch of 65-70 point 200 foot players is just what the doctor ordered. You then have the option of adding top offensive talent on the wings if you choose (e.g. Patrick Kane).

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:12 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapJackKing View Post
I completely agree.

The days of the 100 point player is gone for now. There are only a couple players that can routinely play well above a PPG and these are generational talents. A 1-2 centre punch of 65-70 point 200 foot players is just what the doctor ordered. You then have the option of adding top offensive talent on the wings if you choose (e.g. Patrick Kane).
Puck possesion wingers like Macartur, Stone, Hemsky are the ideal wingers.

Build a sweet system behind two wicked two-way centers

Old
04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm on the fence on both.

It's an intriguing tandem but can they put up the consistent offence required for deep playoff success?

I could see a Boston type system but I could also see Fisher-Vermette.

Tough call to make now, at least for me.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Magix

Turris nearly hit 60 in his first full season. Mike fisher has broken 50 points twice... As for zibanejad-vermette thats a weird comparison. Zibanejad has shown more than vermette at the same age.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:36 AM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

It's an intriguing tandem but can they put up the consistent offence required for deep playoff success?

The big question mark for me is can Zibanejad learn to use his linemates more effectively? He is getting there and it is this skill that will make him a better and more effective player than Fisher. Turris is already better than Vermette but will really need to work on his face-offs this off-season, especially if we move Spezza.

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:37 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Two young top 10 picks... Let them sink or swim

With the talent the club has and the talent it could get for Spezza, plus the budget flexibility to put money in other areas... Strengthen depth of club

Worst case the plan does not work and the team gets to draft an elite talent a year from now... Perhaps even McDavid

Old
04-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

People say how does the Sens replace Spezza?
Not saying being solid up the middle isn't paramount. But replacing Spezza could be as simple as adding a prime-age two way top 4 defensemen.

These guys should be pretty adequate going forward. Veteran insulation is needed though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:41 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Not saying being solid up the middle isn't paramount. But replacing Spezza could be as simple as adding a prime-age two way top 4 defensemen.
That's what I'd put Spezzas money towards for sure... Get another horse back there to help lessen the burden for EK

Old
04-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Elite center combo ? No.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

I still havent seen much of zibby's playmaking ability or two way game although i am encouraged by his willingness to crash the net and his shot when he uses it. Spezza-Turris combo is better.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

Lazar will likely be on the 3Rd line if Spezza gets traded

Rodrigo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Moller

These two being so heavily overrated on these boards is exactly why you all think Spezza is expendable. Might want to get these guys to learn how to win faceoffs before you start using words like elite anywhere near their names.

What will the fickle masses do when these two slump for long periods of time? And make no mistake - they will. All players do.

Moller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moller View Post
These two being so heavily overrated on these boards is exactly why you all think Spezza is expendable. Might want to get these guys to learn how to win faceoffs before you start using words like elite anywhere near their names.

What will the fickle masses do when these two slump for long periods of time? And make no mistake - they will. All players do.
When Turris had about 2-3 weeks of slumping offensively, the only people that complained were Spezza supporters. So fickle.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 12:07 PM
HSF

elite...no

probably 2nd line centers

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 12:12 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
elite...no

probably 2nd line centers
What this guy said.

God Says No is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 12:16 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueDiligence View Post
If Turris gets 65pts and is a plus 20 we will win more games with him as our number 1 center. Heck didn't Spezza only get 66pts this season.

Not far off is Turris. And he plays a 200ft game

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote