HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Florida has honest owners...

Old
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
On last years comments from Tambellini, not Katz, about roster changes: This was when they were still talking about supporting MacTavish.

I thought in August, and still think now, that this was about seeing what was there before moving assets. Like Tambo says: Assessing the situation.

In a sense, it gave us clarity on who should stay and who should go. Nilsson is not a player. O'Sullivan has issues. Cogliano IS redundant. Potulny and Brule are roster players. Jacques and Stone are useful bottom sixers. We know these things now.

This is where **** gets real, so to speak. This is where I consider him on the clock.

Chasing and begging after Heatley and offering up Penner, Cogs and Smid is not about "seeing what there is before moving assets." It's moving into the "we know what we have, we know what we want, and we think we're a piece or 3 away from it.

However, I do agree with the last part. This season, unexpectedly, and with great difficulty, has become a blessing in disguise. It's taken all the pressure off to do deals to "try to get into the playoffs", and allowed management to sit back and see what they have, and who are really people who have some character under very trying circumstances. They should not be in any rush to do anything that could be hurried and dumb at this point. Let the other teams that are on the bubble and desperate to make the playoffs come to us, but make sure and throw the "open for business" door wide open.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Baby Nilsson

Until now, I don't think he spoke since Tambo was hired

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Did Katz say anything at all?

The more I think about it, I don't remember him saying anything.

I think we may both be thinking of Tambellini's comments?
Maybe it was a few months before when he took over the team. The fact is, at that time, he said the same things about management. I guess he can't say much else in public other than to offer support. How he feels in private may be entirely different, especially if there is another year of **** ups.

Old
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Who was the one who created the mess of highly priced contracts that left the team with no cap space.........

Who were the two that flew out to Kelowna begging Heatley to please, please play for Edmonton...........

Who signed an injury prone aging goalie to a four year high priced contract......

Maybe you are right - there are no "significant shortcomings we have as an organization"........... Which is why Katz never mentioned that part....
Last I checked Heatley is tearing it up in San Jose. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get Heatley.

Horcoff was coming off a really great half season and If you read the thread of when he was signed its 23 pages of people praising the deal for the most part. Horcoffs bad year was far from a likely situation. Lowe signed that deal anways.

Khabibulin was the most proven goalie available.

It's easy to have loud opinions after the fact isn't it? Regardless of that, I think you have some unrealistic expectations if you expect them to fire Lowe anytime in the near future.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

"We must admit the significant shortcomings we have as an organization, and we must move quickly and efficiently to overcome these shortcomings and reshape this franchise on a much more solid foundation."

I never heard Katz state that Lowe & / or Tambellini scre*ed up - that the reason the team is such a mess is because of them....

Please show me where Katz said that...

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you are right - there are no "significant shortcomings we have as an organization"........... Which is why Katz never mentioned that part....
Actually he did say that.

Did you actually listen to the interview?

I will paraphrase for you.

"Despite the injuries this team's performance has not met expectations and management, ownership realize this" He then talked about commiting to scouting and rebuilding and changes.

It is the same thing, just different words!
Now that you have paraphrased what Katz said & not one person disagreed with you - please read what you wrote....

Katz said the players failed........ Katz did not say management scre*ed up....

Katz blamed the players - Florida owners laid the blame on players & management... And that is the difference between the two organizations......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Last I checked Heatley is tearing it up in San Jose. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get Heatley.

Horcoff was coming off a really great half season and If you read the thread of when he was signed its 23 pages of people praising the deal for the most part. Horcoffs bad year was far from a likely situation. Lowe signed that deal anways.

Khabibulin was the most proven goalie available.

It's easy to have loud opinions after the fact isn't it?

You don't really think Heatley would be doing the same amount of "tearing it up" here, do you. I mean, I don't see a Jumbo Joe or Patric Marleau here to get him the puck, do you? And he was never going to a rebuilding team like ours anyhow, no matter how much we begged. It was the begging part that really got me.

Not many questioned getting Khabby, but I know of a whole lot that questioned the term of the deal.

Signing Comrie? I know Hillary is hot and all for the junior crowd, but WTF?

And what happened to that cheap checking/faceoff/penalty killing guy that we so desperately needed?

Old
02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Now that you have paraphrased what Katz said & not one person disagreed with you - please read what you wrote....

Katz said the players failed........ Katz did not say management scre*ed up....

Katz blamed the players - Florida owners laid the blame on players & management... And that is the difference between the two organizations......
Except:

1) No, they didn't single out anyone. The exact words were admitted the shortcomings with the roster and are working to reshape the franchise.

2) Katz called his team "unacceptable" even without the injuries.

How can you read Katz's quote and think he's scapegoating: There are no alternative wordings. You want him to say: "You're fault!" to a manager he's a keeping on?

That's senseless.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
[/B]

In bold, I will believe it when it happens, boy this is getting old actions speak louder than words.
But why do you have to criticize his words. Why not wait until their actions happen? don't judge a book by its cover.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Stoneman89

And before anyone puts any stock or validation into what someone says, as opposed to what they do, remember it was Katz that said publicly, "MacT isn't going anywhere" a short while before he was canned.

Old
02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

1) No, they didn't single out anyone. The exact words were admitted the shortcomings with the roster and are working to reshape the franchise.

2) Katz called his team "unacceptable" even without the injuries.
Everyone keeps stating Katz blamed the players & not management....

What am I missing........

Old
02-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
And before anyone puts any stock or validation into what someone says, as opposed to what they do, remember it was Katz that said publicly, "MacT isn't going anywhere" a short while before he was canned.
That was in an effort to shift the focus off of "Fire Mac T" and back to "The Oilers are in a playoff race". What did you think that Mac T would be the coach for ever when katz said that?

Old
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:

That Florida never blamed the management and that Katz calling his team "unacceptable" can not be logically interpreted as him "only blaming the players"?

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post

Katz was serious when he sent that text... He was never going to fire MacTavish...

There was a public lynching by media & fans that forced him to do something he did not want to do....

Old
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post

did you think that Mac T would be the coach for ever when katz said that?
He is doing his best to cover for Lowe..... And his strategy is obviously working for many of the posters on this topic thread........

Old
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This has nothing to do with the point of this thread, the OP was designed to say that Florida has an honest owner while the Oilers don't by using the Florida owner's letter as evidence when in reality Katz said pretty much those same exact things yesterday.
This has nothing to do with "talk is cheap" stuff, it has to do with the fact that Katz basically said the same things that the Florida owner did but REA is lambasting Katz and applauding the Florida owner, it makes no sense.
^^THIS.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:

So when he says "We need to do better at all levels of the organization" What does that mean? I take it as meaning that all levels of the organization have been unsatisfactory. And as long as management is a level of the organization then I would take that as Katz saying that he is not happy with the performance of management. No?

Old
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
hockeyaddict101

Where in the Florida letter does he blame management???

The answer!! Nowhere

yes we know rea that you hate katz but come in this letter is no different than the comments Katz made and no amount of backtracking is going to change that

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:49 PM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
Katz was serious when he sent that text... He was never going to fire MacTavish...

There was a public lynching by media & fans that forced him to do something he did not want to do....

There's no point even arguing with you. How do you know what Katz was or wasn't going to do? Personally, I believe what he meant was "MacT isn't going anywhere for the rest of this season." And he stuck to that. What makes your point more valid than mine?

You've clearly made your mind up on Katz. He's done exactly what you want him to, and you *****. There's no pleasing you.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 01:56 PM
SpaceCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
This is pretty much exactly what DK stated yesterday.
Word.

SpaceCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:01 PM
deanmoriarty

The Oilers organization takes their fans for granted, always have.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
The Oilers organization takes their fans for granted, always have.
I call BS on that. As a season ticket holder, I've been treated pretty damn good (no matter who the owner's been) for over 30 years.

As a matter of fact, two years ago we were treated to an incredible lunch and Q&A session in Camrose. Not only that, but the team also let every single person choose a piece of merchandise to take home with them form a kiosk they set up. I walked away with an Oilers poker set valued at $125. That's just one example. They've done a ton of other things like that. Let's not forget all the work they do in the community.

I'd say they treat their fans pretty good. At least from my perspective.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
GSC

Quote:
"Despite the injuries this team's performance has not met expectations and management, ownership realize this" He then talked about commiting to scouting and rebuilding and changes.

It is the same thing, just different words!
I'm not so sure about that...

Katz discussed team performance relative to organizational expectations, but he came up short of implicating the organization for having any fault in the unraveling of the club this season. While he did mention the rebuild and making changes, all of that centered on his discussion about the team.

That's the way I read (and heard) into it.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
I call BS on that. As a season ticket holder, I've been treated pretty damn good (no matter who the owner's been) for over 30 years.

As a matter of fact, two years ago we were treated to an incredible lunch and Q&A session in Camrose. Not only that, but the team also let every single person choose a piece of merchandise to take home with them form a kiosk they set up. I walked away with an Oilers poker set valued at $125. That's just one example. They've done a ton of other things like that. Let's not forget all the work they do in the community.

I'd say they treat their fans pretty good. At least from my perspective.
HF poker night at your house?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
HF poker night at your house?
Anytime.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
GSC

Quote:

You're not missing anything, that's exactly what happened.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote