HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL Announces 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup Bid Applicants

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
  #101
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Branch is crazy if he thinks having the Majors in a memorial cup tournament will magically make people in Toronto give a damn about junior hockey. I think it would be excellent if somehow the Leafs had a long playoff run next season to bury the mem cup on the back page of the sports section, should Mississauga be granted the tournament. It would serve the league right for being stupid.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
  #102
youngblood10
Registered User
 
youngblood10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Windsor isn't getting it. Branch didn't even stick around long enough to give Henrique the MVP trophy. Only could happen to Henrique and Branch should be ashamed about that.

He also dodged all the media, when does Branch ever not want to talk and at the finals of his own league no less.

Odd actions out of Branch and the delays. No way this is going to Windsor.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
  #103
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Branch was worried about having crap thrown at him. I think that motivated his hasty exit more than anything else. While he was handing the cup to Harry the Barrie bench was being pelted with knotted towels, and I saw a couple beer cans tossed too. He would have seen that from where he was standing in that corner, so he didn't waste any time.

Last year when Windsor won he kept blabbing on and on before handing out the cup, but he didn't even have a microphone this time which does give it a bit of pre-planned feel to it.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
  #104
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Branch was worried about having crap thrown at him. I think that motivated his hasty exit more than anything else. While he was handing the cup to Harry the Barrie bench was being pelted with knotted towels, and I saw a couple beer cans tossed too. He would have seen that from where he was standing in that corner, so he didn't waste any time.

Last year when Windsor won he kept blabbing on and on before handing out the cup, but he didn't even have a microphone this time which does give it a bit of pre-planned feel to it.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
memorial cup wont even sell out in missisaugua.get real .windsor is the hottest ticket in the O and everyone knows it .4 blue chip americans coming,1 or two euros,plus ellis and fowler will be back on D......THEY COULD WIN THE WEST AGAIN

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
  #105
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Windsor isn't getting it. Branch didn't even stick around long enough to give Henrique the MVP trophy. Only could happen to Henrique and Branch should be ashamed about that.

He also dodged all the media, when does Branch ever not want to talk and at the finals of his own league no less.

Odd actions out of Branch and the delays. No way this is going to Windsor.
I would not read to much into his action in windsor if anything that would maybe mean they will be awared the cup but he does not want to say anything yet.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:55 AM
  #106
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Branch is crazy if he thinks having the Majors in a memorial cup tournament will magically make people in Toronto give a damn about junior hockey. I think it would be excellent if somehow the Leafs had a long playoff run next season to bury the mem cup on the back page of the sports section, should Mississauga be granted the tournament. It would serve the league right for being stupid.
It won't matter if the leafs make the play offs or not.Just look at the eastern conference final the majors did not draw well at all if i had to guess i would say maybe they avg 2,000 with likely alot of giveaways.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
  #107
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Branch was worried about having crap thrown at him. I think that motivated his hasty exit more than anything else. While he was handing the cup to Harry the Barrie bench was being pelted with knotted towels, and I saw a couple beer cans tossed too. He would have seen that from where he was standing in that corner, so he didn't waste any time.

Last year when Windsor won he kept blabbing on and on before handing out the cup, but he didn't even have a microphone this time which does give it a bit of pre-planned feel to it.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
and having idiots in the stands throwing beer cans and knotted towels at the visiting players is showing everyone that Windsor
and their "fans" are worthy and deserving of hosting the Memorial Cup?
I think that behaviour exhibited there and in the past may have cost Windsor the Memorial Cup.
At least in Missy the CHL doesn't need to worry about the fans.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
  #108
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
and having idiots in the stands throwing beer cans and knotted towels at the visiting players is showing everyone that Windsor
and their "fans" are worthy and deserving of hosting the Memorial Cup?
I think that behaviour exhibited there and in the past may have cost Windsor the Memorial Cup.
At least in Missy the CHL doesn't need to worry about the fans.
That would be pretty stupid if they used that to make their decision. Why not look at Windsor as the city that hosted the All Star Game, Canada/Russia and Top Prospect games where there weren't any issues. You will get a different fan there for the Memorial Cup.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
  #109
OHLFAN1
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
I would like St.Mikes to get it.Just would like a nice central location for Ontario fans to travel..

OHLFAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:13 PM
  #110
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That would be pretty stupid if they used that to make their decision. Why not look at Windsor as the city that hosted the All Star Game, Canada/Russia and Top Prospect games where there weren't any issues. You will get a different fan there for the Memorial Cup.
Do you think that behaviour would show the city/fanbase in a positive light to the selection committee?
The selection between Windsor and Missy IMHO is favoring Missy and this behaviour by the fans could've swing the vote awasy from Windsor!

Do you think it helped?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
  #111
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Nice try, but the decision was already made.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:35 PM
  #112
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Nice try, but the decision was already made.
You're not really going to try to say that the behaviour by some Windsor fans we saw in the OHL finals was a one time incident, are you?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
  #113
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Do you think that behaviour would show the city/fanbase in a positive light to the selection committee?
The selection between Windsor and Missy IMHO is favoring Missy and this behaviour by the fans could've swing the vote awasy from Windsor!

Do you think it helped?
I don't think it made any difference at all. Well maybe it did swing votes but that would be ridiculous in it's own right because Missy can't even half fill the building for a conference finals game so that should swing votes away from Missy and before people say Missy would sell out I wouldn't be too quick to say that. I was in Rimouski and tickets for the tiebreaker with the host team in it were easy to pick up I believe they were 600-700 short of capacity.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
  #114
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
You're not really going to try to say that the behaviour by some Windsor fans we saw in the OHL finals was a one time incident, are you?
That's the first time I have seen any incidents like that at the WFCU Centre. So to answer your question it depends on what you're asking.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
  #115
Ottomatic
Registered User
 
Ottomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
You're not really going to try to say that the behaviour by some Windsor fans we saw in the OHL finals was a one time incident, are you?
Nothing that you don't see in other arenas - and the cheerleader story was a joke. Maybe not Mississauga, because you need fans in the arena to begin with.

6500 fans, maybe 20 idiots that game with thousands more who would have gladly had their seats.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
  #116
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That's the first time I have seen any incidents like that at the WFCU Centre. So to answer your question it depends on what you're asking.
Windsor fans have been largely unwelcoming to any visiting fan for years upon years. Not all Windsor fans -- I've met a number of great ones. Every fanbase has their donkeys, but Windsor seems to have more than their fair share.

I'd say it might just be my experience, but I don't know anyone who hasn't seen or dealt with ******** in Windsor over the years.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:13 PM
  #117
pointman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Windsor may have their share of interesting fans as do most OHL teams ...but i am putting my $5 on the Spits hosting the cup next year ...potentially back to back mem cups or at least appearances , they will be worthy enough opponents to host and a good hockey town to boot...it's a perfect fit !!

pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
  #118
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Windsor fans have been largely unwelcoming to any visiting fan for years upon years. Not all Windsor fans -- I've met a number of great ones. Every fanbase has their donkeys, but Windsor seems to have more than their fair share.

I'd say it might just be my experience, but I don't know anyone who hasn't seen or dealt with ******** in Windsor over the years.
I can't speak to others experience because nothing has happened around where I have sat but let's just say this stuff can happen in a lot of places. I was given a tough time in London but I am not going to whine about it, just making a point it happens and move on. Unfortunately some people love to play the victim card.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:25 PM
  #119
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I can't speak to others experience because nothing has happened around where I have sat but let's just say this stuff can happen in a lot of places. I was given a tough time in London but I am not going to whine about it, just making a point it happens and move on. Unfortunately some people love to play the victim card.
If it were one or two people, I'd tend to agree. But it's not.

But to put this back on topic, I think Missy has to be the frontrunner, if for no other reason than the western conference has hosted the last 3.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:39 PM
  #120
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
A couple of beer cans and knotted towels isn't that big of a deal really. Their team just won a second championship after facing elimination a week before. There were a few rowdies but find me a crowd of 6500 that has none in it. I think the visual of that arena going nuts had more of a positive impression than a negative one on the selection panel, if it had any impact at all. I've been to a game in Mississauga and it has the atmosphere and energy of a museum.

As far as the poor experiences of visiting fans goes, its all garbage. I've taken grief in a few visiting buildings before and I don't cry about it as if that teams fans have some issue. I've taken crap in Guelph, Sudbury, Plymouth, and London, and I'm sure if I visited more arenas the list would be longer. Windsor is nothing unusual, but since they are winning people need to find some reason to knock them down so they can feel better about their own team. Its crap.

To me its pretty clear this issue is only being brought up as an excuse to rip on the champs. It has no bearing on the decision of the OHL whatsoever, lets face it. If the OHL is going to pretend to give a damn about the community, there's really only one choice.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
  #121
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
A couple of beer cans and knotted towels isn't that big of a deal really. Their team just won a second championship after facing elimination a week before. There were a few rowdies but find me a crowd of 6500 that has none in it. I think the visual of that arena going nuts had more of a positive impression than a negative one on the selection panel, if it had any impact at all. I've been to a game in Mississauga and it has the atmosphere and energy of a museum.

As far as the poor experiences of visiting fans goes, its all garbage. I've taken grief in a few visiting buildings before and I don't cry about it as if that teams fans have some issue. I've taken crap in Guelph, Sudbury, Plymouth, and London, and I'm sure if I visited more arenas the list would be longer. Windsor is nothing unusual, but since they are winning people need to find some reason to knock them down so they can feel better about their own team. Its crap.

To me its pretty clear this issue is only being brought up as an excuse to rip on the champs. It has no bearing on the decision of the OHL whatsoever, lets face it. If the OHL is going to pretend to give a damn about the community, there's really only one choice.
What is your excuse for ******* fans when the Spits weren't champs?

I agree that every building has idiots. After reading some the stuff you've posted on here, I'm not surprised you've found some kindred spirits at other buildings.

As a general rule, if you're not an ass, you won't have a problem at any other barn. That doesn't always follow in Windsor.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
  #122
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Boo hoo. Go cry to somebody who cares. We get it, you don't like going to Windsor. Don't come then, I'll try to hold back the disappointment. It has nothing to do with Windsor's bid for the cup, so take the poor victim act somewhere else. Maybe there's some sort of shelter for victims of Windsor fans or something since it seems to be a serious problem.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:02 PM
  #123
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
What is your excuse for ******* fans when the Spits weren't champs?

I agree that every building has idiots. After reading some the stuff you've posted on here, I'm not surprised you've found some kindred spirits at other buildings.

As a general rule, if you're not an ass, you won't have a problem at any other barn. That doesn't always follow in Windsor.
Windsor Arena wasn't in the best area there was a reason why some fans were called the Wyandotte Whinos. What I find surprising is people seem to get on the case of Windsor fans asking "how do you explain that, what do you have to say for that etc." Guess what I don't really give a darn it's not my concern, I know when I go to the game I have a good time and I don't hassle anybody and that's good enough for me.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
  #124
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Windsor Arena wasn't in the best area there was a reason why some fans were called the Wyandotte Whinos. What I find surprising is people seem to get on the case of Windsor fans asking "how do you explain that, what do you have to say for that etc." Guess what I don't really give a darn it's not my concern, I know when I go to the game I have a good time and I don't hassle anybody and that's good enough for me.
No question, the WFCU is lightyears away from the old barn. It's a beautiful facility.

I feel the same way you do. I've met a lot of great fans of all teams, and ultimately it's hockey - it should be fun.

The reason I asked for an explanation was in response to a comment that the only reason fans say Windsor is not always the best place for visiting teams is through jealousy that they're the top team, which is complete and utter nonsense.

I'd say 99% of OHL fans are happy to see a franchise turn around the way Windsor has, and were happy for Windsor fans when they got an ownership group who cares about the city, the fans, the team, and the players. I think Windsor can and should be held up as a model for Kingston and a few other franchises who aren't as well run at the moment.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
  #125
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Nothing happens at Windsor games that doesn't happen at every arena in the OHL. You're lying if you say otherwise. Its just fashionable to blame Windsor. Maybe its because they are winning, maybe its because we're a struggling auto town and picking on them seems to be the clever joke du jour among the cultured folks in society.

Forgot to mention I got some grief in Erie when I visited there too. My "crime"? Applauding after a Windsor goal.


Last edited by jughead42: 05-07-2010 at 04:41 PM.
jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.