HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre McGuire on TEAM 990

Old
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire on TEAM 990

Has anyone else who listens to 990 noticed that the past few weeks Pierre McGuire has declined to answer a lot of questions surrounding the Habs? Saying things such as it would be inappropriate and such views are confidential?

Does anyone else find this odd for a media guy? He's usually very forthright. Makes me wonder if something is afoot...

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Has anyone else who listens to 990 noticed that the past few weeks Pierre McGuire has declined to answer a lot of questions surrounding the Habs? Saying things such as it would be inappropriate and such views are confidential?

Does anyone else find this odd for a media guy? He's usually very forthright. Makes me wonder if something is afoot...
He has ties and doesn't want to sever those potential employable ties if you know what I mean.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
WestIslander

Quote:

It can be one of two things:

1) He is sick of being hated my Montreal fans and players for being anti-Habs and was probably told off badly by someone or was probably given the finger during a game etc.

2) He is the next GM of the Montreal Canadiens and he needs to start adapting a tight lipped attitude starting now.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

All that guy says is so smart. I'm tired of listening to him than watch the Canadiens do the opposite. So freaking frustrating.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

1) He is sick of being hated my Montreal fans and players for being anti-Habs and was probably told off badly by someone or was probably given the finger during a game etc.

2) He is the next GM of the Montreal Canadiens and he needs to start adapting a tight lipped attitude starting now.
# 2 is scary...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He has ties and doesn't want to sever those potential employable ties if you know what I mean.
I completely agree, but he used to be very, very forward; lately, he is acting very differently. Or so it sounds.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
couz

How is he on Habs TSN telecasts?

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Nidema

Quote:

Unfortunately, if this team does not make the playoffs, I think he will be GM. There are not many options out there that are bilingual.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
I completely agree, but he used to be very, very forward; lately, he is acting very differently. Or so it sounds.
Not really. It was just the way Melnick worded the question. He asked him the exact same question yesterday, but not in the context of "what you would say to Geoff Molson". He basically said that he thinks Gainey hired the wrong coach, that he hired a defensive-minded guy to coach really offensive minded players--that the mix was wrong, and he repeated it again today.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
MrNasty

Quote:

As much as I hate McGuire at least he is not being a ****** and trying to create controversy. The reason this thread is even on here is because you guys are shocked somebody in the Montreal media is not blabbing like a school girl.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
If it is indeed a "change in behaviour", he was probably taken aside by someone- probably Cammy and asked to give it a rest. That's probably all it would take for him to get the point.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
Unfortunately, if this team does not make the playoffs, I think he will be GM. There are not many options out there that are bilingual.
It's going to happen and as much as I hate the idea of a non-experienced GM in Montreal, I am thinking that if he practices what he preaches and uses the tricks of the trade he learned from Burke, Lamouriello and others, he will win the cup with the Canadiens.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Nidema

I'm starting to be more receptive to the idea of Pierre McGuire being the next GM. To me, I think it's clear we need a real direction and I think McGuire can provide it.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
As much as I hate McGuire at least he is not being a ****** and trying to create controversy. The reason this thread is even on here is because you guys are shocked somebody in the Montreal media is not blabbing like a school girl.
Nope, the threads here because I've been listening to McGuire going back to the 90s when he was with Dino Sisto on CJAD, and I have never heard him refused to answer questions on the Habs, which he has done numerous times over the past couple of weeks.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
Nope, the threads here because I've been listening to McGuire going back to the 90s when he was with Dino Sisto on CJAD, and I have never heard him refused to answer questions on the Habs, which he has done numerous times over the past couple of weeks.
You have your answer then!

Old
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

why does everyone want sportscasters to be GM's?
Posted via Mobile Device

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
It's going to happen and as much as I hate the idea of a non-experienced GM in Montreal, I am thinking that if he practices what he preaches and uses the tricks of the trade he learned from Burke, Lamouriello and others, he will win the cup with the Canadiens.
You know what though? Experience as a GM or coach kind of went out the window when all the rule changes went into effect after the lockout. It really is a "new NHL" and there is a definitely a new philosophy on how to win out there. You don't need or want a guy who figured out how to build a winner in the 90's. you need new blood and someone who doesn't live in the old world, so to speak. Any GM like that is going to be pretty inexperienced so i wouldn't be too worried about McGuire experience level. Look at a guy like Ray Shero for example. Looks like he's doing an alright job. Of course he has a tremendous amount of talent to work with but he's 48 years old.

McGuire is a great hockey mind and probably knows more about NHL players than anyone else. I'd hire him yesterday.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
I also found that it was strange that he wasn't an analyst last night on TSN during the Habs-Lightning game. Instead Ray Ferraro took his spot. Maybe Pierre wasn't available but who knows.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
markov`

You know, guys, there's a reason why McGuire is working at TSN and not for a NHL team. And no, it's not by choice.

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Here a short list for the GM job that i would like:

-Pierre Mcguire
-Dale Tallon
-Patrick Roy

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
So it is confirmed!

Pierre McGuire is the next GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

/thread

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Pierre for GM? I'm 70% for it.

Bob should be bumped up to the higher ranks, he has wisdom and knowledge.

Patty Roy would be good too but I'm afraid he wouldn't be a good judge of talent.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:58 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

I think the next GM should be pierre,, bob mckenzie, kypreos, Kelly hrudy or anyone else on TV! How about Joel bouchard or benoit brunet.
Posted via Mobile Device

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:59 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
I also found that it was strange that he wasn't an analyst last night on TSN during the Habs-Lightning game. Instead Ray Ferraro took his spot. Maybe Pierre wasn't available but who knows.
That is because he did the Edmonton/Chicago game the night before in Edmonton and the Montreal/Tampa Bay game was assigned to the other NHL on TSN tandem because they have two tandems now.

This is a non-issue!

Old
01-28-2010, 04:59 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
He was doing the Edmonton-Hawks game in Edmonton Tues night for TSN.

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote