HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Olympics: Nodar Kumaritashvili (Georgian luger) killed in training

Old
02-12-2010, 04:58 PM
SlowFreshOil*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Exactly there were warnings before watching the video but I wasn't expecting much other than maybe the guy flying off the course and then being able to see anytihng. I am still trying to figure out why they even have this video posted.

As for the course, how the **** does that pass anykind of safety inspection.
I was surprised by the lack of padding, netting or anything else that would have prevented a rider from leaving the track like that. Especially considering it's the world's fastest and most dangerous track.

At least it appears he left the world quickly and hopefully in little pain.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
really? maybe cuase those beams are holding up the track? stupid engineers following the laws.......... really?
Serious, you must be drunk. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Cam98

Very sad...also the other sad part, theres been dozen other crashes on same course....gets you thinking.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Man everything I'm reading about this course if how ****ign dangerours it is. Whoever the **** designed this and let this design go through should be hit over the head with a cast iron pan.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 5013
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Man everything I'm reading about this course if how ****ign dangerours it is. Whoever the **** designed this and let this design go through should be hit over the head with a cast iron pan.
Yeah, overkill is overkill. They went too far, and should've looked a lot more at the aspects of safety and not all out speed. And if they did do that then they didn't do a good job of it.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Yeah, overkill is overkill. They went too far, and should've looked a lot more at the aspects of safety and not all out speed. And if they did do that then they didn't do a good job of it.
Exactly and reading the article posted in the last post of the 2nd page I didn't realize that this track was used in the 2008 world cup circuit. There were a ton of crashes then and they didn't think to maybe fix any of the issues then?

Regardless of any of the semantics with with the design of the course. When I see a hairpin u-shaped turn where a sled/ luger is coming in and out of the corner at a speed of 140-150 and you have the outside of the track lined with solid steel beams that appear to be about 1 meter from the outside and spaced about 5-6 meters apart just speaks danger to me.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
awesomo
HARD!

the track is way too dangerous, padding MIGHT have saved him, but i dunno if it wouldve mattered at that speed

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If I didn't want to see the video, why would you assume I wanted to see pictures? I like my violence nice and fictional, thank you.
Me too . No thanks on the video .
I still get sick to my stomach when I remember watching Sergei Shalibashvili die in the pool back in 83 University Games .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
jsho

Huge tragedy..really puts a damper on the opening ceremonies tonight.

How often do accidents with an athlete flying off the track happen? I dont follow it really enough, but I would think this would be the first occurance of it.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
the track is way too dangerous, padding MIGHT have saved him, but i dunno if it wouldve mattered at that speed
No padding would have done nothing. The only thing that would have prevented this would have been higher walls to keep him in the track, even then there's no telling what would have happened.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Cam98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
No padding would have done nothing. The only thing that would have prevented this would have been higher walls to keep him in the track, even then there's no telling what would have happened.
yup agreed watching the video looked like went head first into wall. probably broken neck padding would of done same thing.

but it's just sad, all these crashes they been having all week during training sessions. nothing being looked at.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
doormat247

To me at least, raising that outside wall and extending it another ten feet down that final straightaway would probably help minimize the risk of the racers crashing off of the course like this.

That said, from the sounds of things there were a bunch of things that happened in this particular crash that helped launch the poor guy off the track. I saw the the video and everything and it just happened so fast. I'd rather not see it again, but hopefully they can make the needed changes to the track to increase the safety so it doesn't happen again.

doormat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
bzur

This is just tragic... I don't even want to watch the actual event knowing that I will likely cringe every time that someone takes that corner... Just...wow.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
They have a name for the 'highest wall' you can design for a high speed course of any kind.

It's called a tunnel.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
yup agreed watching the video looked like went head first into wall. probably broken neck padding would of done same thing.

but it's just sad, all these crashes they been having all week during training sessions. nothing being looked at.
Yeah, really what happened to cause the crash wasn't some freak accident that no one could have foreseen possibly happening. Its quite tragic that this accident had to happen for them to maybe take more safety precautions.

And yeah i don't think any amount of foam padding would have saved that guy. If the way he impacted the pole didn't kill him then going from 140-0 in 0.000 sec certainly would. Drive a car into a concrete wall at 140 and I don't care how many air bags and safety mechanisms your car has, you're not going to live through that.

Old
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
They have a name for the 'highest wall' you can design for a high speed course of any kind.

It's called a tunnel.
haha yeah one of those could have helped there, although tunnels are also quite dark which i can imagine would also be a bit hazardous. Some higher walls would also help.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:06 PM
SpaceCam

Absolutely insane to have a wall that short with metal pylons right on the other side of it coming out of a turn like that.
Is it a freak accident? Yes probably.
Is it an accident that is impossible? Absolutely not.
Is it an accident that could be avoided? Hell yeah.

Tragic. RIP.

SpaceCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Everest

This whole event...'luge'...is so obscure & sketchy...

I half-jokingly mentioned in a different thread yesterday...'If luge is a winter sport, water sliding should be an event in the summer olympics.'

And now this tragic result occurs...

Makes me even less kewl about winter water sliding.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil View Post
I was watching the torch relay on television when they cut to this moments after it occurred. The video looked pretty brutal and happened on the fastest turn on the entire luge track. We forget at times the level that these amazing athletes are completing at and the potential toll it can have.
So were we when they cut to the accident. I feel sorry for the family and the Olympic family when something like this happens.

02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Arpeggio

Geez, that article posted on the last page is really incriminating. Why was it necessary for the designers of the track to shoot for ridiculous speed records, and on top of that, put all the tough turns at the point where the sleds are going the fastest? This is just sheer stupidity, I can't believe it.

Thinking selfishly, this event pretty much single-handedly ruins the games for me. I just can't imagine what Nodar's family is going through right now, just unbelievable.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Geez, that article posted on the last page is really incriminating. Why was it necessary for the designers of the track to shoot for ridiculous speed records, and on top of that, put all the tough turns at the point where the sleds are going the fastest? This is just sheer stupidity, I can't believe it.

Thinking selfishly, this event pretty much single-handedly ruins the games for me. I just can't imagine what Nodar's family is going through right now, just unbelievable.
Well I think part of it could be attributed to the fact that he was an inexperienced luger. put you or I on an Indy 500 track in a Indy 500 race car and the same thing could happen.

That coupled with the tracks inability to keep fallen lugers in the track and it turned fatal.

I don't think theres a problem with the track technical difficulty and design. The problem is in the safety design of the track. 5 feet taller walls on both sides and Nodar would be days away from living out his Olympic dream, which really is the sad part. He probably put so much work into this and now that is all lost.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
I can't believe they actually showed the footage of this poor young man's death on TV. That is repulssive and disrespectfull to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Nodar. You soar with the angels now.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:20 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
Who in their right mind would put metal beams beside a luge course? it just screams of stupidity. Anyways, my thoughts go out to the family and friends of Nodar.

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
RKD

You know, I watched this on YouTube earlier in the day and while it was completely shocking and saddening, I didn't feel overly emotional about the footage I'd just seen.

But just a few minutes ago, TSN/CTV aired the run again. This time I was able to see it on a large screen in HD. The sound of the steel girder clanging followed by the strange silence and the visual of a motionless body really had an effect on me. We all know that life can be snatched away so quickly, but this was an all too literal representation of that. The rush noises of the luge track immediately transformed into silence...there are no words.

I felt chills down my body and even began to feel my eyes well up a little bit.

RIP, young man. My thoughts are with his family, friends, and teammates tonight. Just a horrible tragedy and it's a shame this great event had to get off to such a start.

02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
tru_gq

RIP still trembling over seeing that video.. someone mentioned the grinding of steel and then silence ... it was very eerie when I reflected back on the sounds of that video... true tragedy.. My thoughts and prayers to his friends and family

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote