HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Olympics: Nodar Kumaritashvili (Georgian luger) killed in training

Old
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Jesus

vCash: 500
Well this is just a horrible story and that was only in training.

Imagine how far the athletes will try to push their luges knowing that a gold medal is on the line if they can go just a little bit faster.
So much for a happy opening ceremony.

RIP

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

RIP.

The track is apparently too fast for a lot of the athletes there. I suspect there will be some changes before more trial runs are held.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
RIP.

The track is apparently too fast for a lot of the athletes there. I suspect there will be some changes before more trial runs are held.
there isnt even time... they might just shut down that event

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
hi, dumb event. dumb course design. terrible outcome.
90 mph into anything, padded steel or not = bad.
extreme danger as 'sport' isnt appealing. sorry.

nothing against the guy, its terrible. but you have to wonder about some of the design reports coming out as "fastest" and most dangerous course - and it plays out this way.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
MrOiler

Rest in peace.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Wow

Tragic

R.I.P.

hossy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Baby Nilsson

R.I.P.

I was was thinking just how dangerous this sport is yesterday..

And did they really have to make turn 13 the most dangerous turn?

Last edited by Baby Nilsson: 02-12-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Baby Nilsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Its a rather unfortunate incident. The course looks extremely dangerous and was thinking the walls were very low for a course and the walls weren't high enough and didn't jet out far enough around the corners. Padding probably wouldn't have saved him not at that speed.

The sickening part was seeing what looked to be his helmut being spit off into the distance. This could have been avoided with a much safer course design.

R.I.P

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Antidote

What a tragedy! The design clearly never foresaw an athlete leaving the track. So sad!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Mentallydull

RIP Nodar

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Absolutely horrific and tragic, i'm debating on whether or not to watch the video, leaning towards not, just 21 years old (sigh).
I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often in luge events, lugers always seem to have a small margin of error.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Absolutely horrific and tragic, i'm debating on whether or not to watch the video, leaning towards not, just 21 years old (sigh).
I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often in luge events, lugers always seem to have a small margin of error.
For the first time, perhaps ever, I watched something like this and wished I hadn't afterward. It's up to you, but I would recommend not if you're on the fence.

02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
For the first time, perhaps ever, I watched something like this and wished I hadn't afterward. It's up to you, but I would recommend not if you're on the fence.
I have a strong stomach for these types of things, i've seen some sick stuff in my life but i think that it's better if i pass on watching a video of a 21 year old young man get flung 90 mph into a metal pole, thanks for the heads up.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Amazing how dude just came flying out of the turn, then to a complete halt like THUMP (you could hear the "brrrrrrrring" sound from him clanging off the metal), and then just lay there motionless. Crazy stuff, RIP.

Oh and by the way, for people worried about whether the video is too graphic or not... while it is fairly disturbing to see, it's probably not as bad as plenty of other stuff you've seen in your lifetime. Bad, but not as bad as some people in here are saying it is (not to take away from the tragedy or how really unsettling it really is...), just my opinion.

If you are easily upset by anything remotely "graphic" or flat out raw, then don't watch it.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Amazing how dude just came flying out of the turn, then to a complete halt like THUMP (you could hear the "brrrrrrrring" sound from him clanging off the metal), and then just lay there motionless. Crazy stuff, RIP.

Oh and by the way, for people worried about whether the video is too graphic or not... while it is fairly disturbing to see, it's probably not as bad as plenty of other stuff you've seen in your lifetime. Bad, but not as bad as some people in here are saying it is (not to take away from the tragedy or how really unsettling it really is...), just my opinion.
It's not particularly graphic...I just think it's bad because of the context. Knowing what happens is what makes it disturbing for me.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
SourOil

My mom called me really upset about seeing the accident on tv. I was positive that the networks would stop showing it once the death was confirmed. I was really disappointed that they decided to show the accident. As horrible as it sounds, I bet TSN would have made a different decision if it were an American or Canadian athlete.

Tragic - I wish the Georgian team the best of luck

SourOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourOil View Post
My mom called me really upset about seeing the accident on tv. I was positive that the networks would stop showing it once the death was confirmed. I was really disappointed that they decided to show the accident. As horrible as it sounds, I bet TSN would have made a different decision if it were an American or Canadian athlete.

Tragic - I wish the Georgian team the best of luck
When we first saw it, it was during the Torch Relay after the accident had happened and they just said that he had life-threatening injuries. They showed it one more time but there was nothing said he had died.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Yes it is harsh but goin' out doin what you love is the best way to go out IMO!

God bless Nodar!

Old
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Yes it is harsh but goin' out doin what you love is the best way to go out IMO!

God bless Nodar!
Disagree. The athlete trusted he would be safe in the competitive evironment & he has been betrayed.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Disagree. The athlete trusted he would be safe in the competitive evironment & he has been betrayed.
You don't have to agree or disagree as that wasn't really my point. I'm just saying. Not to mention it is being deemed a freak accident.

Old
02-13-2010, 02:39 AM
rprice92

irs weird that in my radio and tv course for law and ethics there was a debate about whether showing graphic images in the media is good or not and this is shown. to me this isn't really grapic. i've watched it about 4 times already. it is tragic, but i don't think it's that graphic. no blood until one of the pics on the early version of tsn when they try and revive him. maybe i'm just desensitized

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
irs weird that in my radio and tv course for law and ethics there was a debate about whether showing graphic images in the media is good or not and this is shown. to me this isn't really grapic. i've watched it about 4 times already. it is tragic, but i don't think it's that graphic. no blood until one of the pics on the early version of tsn when they try and revive him. maybe i'm just desensitized
Agreed. It wasn't really 'graphic' per say, so much as sad.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:53 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
Your desencitized. Sportsnet recaps the opening ceramonys but does not comment on all the f ups but felt the need to show a young man get pasted against the pillar to his death?

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:54 AM
MugRunchability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
Agreed. It wasn't really 'graphic' per say, so much as sad.
I agree with what Ryan said above; the graphic nature of the video isn't entirely what makes it so disturbing. The fact that you are watching someone's last moments of life makes it particularly eerie for me; especially when they showed his entire run, starting from the top of the course. As well, the pictures linked earlier in the thread were unbelievable, I'd never seen anything like that. The fact that they showed his face after the accident was something I'd never seen before.

MugRunchability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:05 AM
rprice92

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Your desencitized. Sportsnet recaps the opening ceramonys but does not comment on all the f ups but felt the need to show a young man get pasted against the pillar to his death?
a picture (or in this case a video) is worth a 1000 words. would you have realized how sad and tragic this was through written journalism? i don't think so. shakespeare couldn't describe how horrific this was. they needed to show it of how bad it actually was and how fast he was going for you to know exactly what happened

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote