HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers acquire Jody Shelley for a 2011 5th or 6th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
blue2noise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Well there's still other ways we'll get embarassed and manhandled. LOL
Touche'

Old
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Yeah, Jody Shelley has a reputation as a TOUGH player. But he also has a reputation for his off-ice work ethic, being a respected lockerroom leader, and awesome human being.
This.

And anyone that thinks Shelley can't throw with the best of them is just an HF/Hockeyfights blowhard. The guy won't back down from anyone, and does more than hold his own. He WILL make your team instantly tougher.

I have mixed feelings about letting him go, but guys like him know their role and live up to it. Don't expect much offense, but he's actually improved on skating and developed more instinct this season. He just rang a shot off the cross bar last night in a tight game.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 0
Former-Shark, now radio commentator, Jamie Baker on the trade.

Note the disappointment in his voice. Most Rangers fans will love the big guy.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:04 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post

Thanks for the link SS.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

This squad was surely lacking a great interviewer. Thank god we got him.

Old
02-12-2010, 09:09 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
And anyone that thinks Shelley can't throw with the best of them is just an HF/Hockeyfights blowhard. The guy won't back down from anyone, and does more than hold his own. He WILL make your team instantly tougher.
Sharks fan coming in peace.

When Shelley came to the Sharks the whole team started playing like they were 2 inches taller. He is obviously well liked by the whole team. He works tremendously hard by all accounts. He is great in the community, I am pretty sure once he is done playing he has a job in Columbus lined up. He will finish all of his checks and won't back down from anyone. I hope he does well for you guys.

Old
02-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Sharks fan coming in peace.

When Shelley came to the Sharks the whole team started playing like they were 2 inches taller. He is obviously well liked by the whole team. He works tremendously hard by all accounts. He is great in the community, I am pretty sure once he is done playing he has a job in Columbus lined up. He will finish all of his checks and won't back down from anyone. I hope he does well for you guys.
Seems like Shelley's doing exactly what an enforcer/grinder is supposed to do, unlike what Brashear did...

'Preciate the insight.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Crease

Looking forward to having Shelley in the Rangers locker room.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
grbennett

I live in Columbus. A few years ago my beloved Rangers came to town and I went to the game for my birthday. I remember we lost and I remember Shelley scored one of Columbus' goals. Anyway, I love seeing that we got him. I'm sure we'll all like him soon enough.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:36 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Holy crap, one year when he played Juniors in the QMJHL he had 448 PIMS in one season hahaha that's wild.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Here is a local article with comments from Shelley, he is awesome

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14393316?source=rss

Old
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Shelley and Prust on the 4th line? Oh man Flyers games just got more interesting. And if Lisin sits you add Voros=

Old
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
bscharf

great move

Only glen sather could rationalize a **** deal such as this. theres literally not one reason to justify this deal. how about getting a defenseman considering MDZ got shanked last night and redden rosy and gilroy are all jokes. team should be renamed the new york lundqvists because hes the only reason they are close to playoff contention.

im just happy the rangers now have a guy that will jump in when DRURY and GABORIK get into fights rather than our bunch of ******* that stood by and watched. Watch out carcillo and hartnell. *******.

Old
02-13-2010, 03:07 PM
bscharf

exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Everyone relax...you will all be happy the next time we play the Flyers and Carcillo runs his mouth, we will have serious payback amo on that piece of ****.
EXACTLY RIGHT. now when the flyers group of dirtbags go after our players, well have more than 5 8 sean avery to **** them up. i love avery but the guy has to defend his team constantly. we need a good fighter thats big.

Old
02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Only glen sather could rationalize a **** deal such as this. theres literally not one reason to justify this deal. how about getting a defenseman considering MDZ got shanked last night and redden rosy and gilroy are all jokes. team should be renamed the new york lundqvists because hes the only reason they are close to playoff contention.

im just happy the rangers now have a guy that will jump in when DRURY and GABORIK get into fights rather than our bunch of ******* that stood by and watched. Watch out carcillo and hartnell. *******.
I don't get it. Are you happy with the deal or not?

Old
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
EXACTLY RIGHT. now when the flyers group of dirtbags go after our players, well have more than 5 8 sean avery to **** them up. i love avery but the guy has to defend his team constantly. we need a good fighter thats big.
do you really think shelley or any other player is going to be a detriment and make the other team think twice abotu running a "star" player? Those days are long over sadly. Players could care less who is on the other team. Carcillo wont change his game one bit. It would be funny though if brashear gets his relase he signs with the flyers for the last few games at the end of the year.

Old
02-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Fletch

thought a bit more about the move...my final thoughts are that it's too little too late. Fine having a guy like this, and I thought the Rangers did in Orr last season, so it's too bad the Rangers need to trade for a 34 year old and waive a recently signed guy. Can't get over the joke of a GM this team has and how he constantly moves pieces around to get nowhere. What I will say is that I don't agree with many against the trade because I think they don't agree because some people can't deal with small moves. If it's not Kovalchuk coming to NYC or Redden leaving NYC, some really don't want to see it. In most circumstances, if you block everything out, its not a bad move. The question is will Torts even dress a guy like Shelley and we he tolerate penalties? Hasn't that really been the issue with Torts? Are the coach and GM on the same page?

Old
02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Don Cherry loves this pickup.

Old
02-13-2010, 08:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
thought a bit more about the move...my final thoughts are that it's too little too late. Fine having a guy like this, and I thought the Rangers did in Orr last season, so it's too bad the Rangers need to trade for a 34 year old and waive a recently signed guy. Can't get over the joke of a GM this team has and how he constantly moves pieces around to get nowhere. What I will say is that I don't agree with many against the trade because I think they don't agree because some people can't deal with small moves. If it's not Kovalchuk coming to NYC or Redden leaving NYC, some really don't want to see it. In most circumstances, if you block everything out, its not a bad move. The question is will Torts even dress a guy like Shelley and we he tolerate penalties? Hasn't that really been the issue with Torts? Are the coach and GM on the same page?
Disagree, Fletch. This isn't simply "a small move" - or at least that's what we're worried about. This reeks of a GM who thinks his team is going to make the POs. The reason that I and others are so against it, is that he should be racking up draft picks at the expense of veteran players as opposed to the other way around.

You think you need more toughness - I agree! Deal Prospal for a 1st, or at least a 2nd, and call up Byers or even Soryal to take his place. Let the young guys play out the season and get the benefit of the experience. But don't spend assets that can contribute to the future in exchange for 20 game, 34 year old rentals that clearly have no benefit other than this year.

Old
02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Disagree, Fletch. This isn't simply "a small move" - or at least that's what we're worried about. This reeks of a GM who thinks his team is going to make the POs. The reason that I and others are so against it, is that he should be racking up draft picks at the expense of veteran players as opposed to the other way around.

You think you need more toughness - I agree! Deal Prospal for a 1st, or at least a 2nd, and call up Byers or even Soryal to take his place. Let the young guys play out the season and get the benefit of the experience. But don't spend assets that can contribute to the future in exchange for 20 game, 34 year old rentals that clearly have no benefit other than this year.
Can definitely get a first for Prospal. Even a pick 10-17 they can get. Trade him to a border line playoff or team that thinks they can make it ala Detroit Dallas Anaheim.

But this won't happen....

Old
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Blueshirts27

Send a message via AIM to Blueshirts27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I hate fighting and wish the NHL would ban it.

That being said, i recognize the absolute necessity of NHL teams having a "goon," "enforcer," or whatever you want to call it, on their roster.

With all the other garbage we've had to put up with this year, I am tired of seeing Rangers getting the crap beat out of them in fight after fight. Have we won a single fight all year?

Brandon Prust is a willing lightweight and though he will, he can't realistically take on the big boys.

A 6th round pick is no great loss.

Next time we play the Flyers and with Shelley and Prust in the lineup, guaranteed nobody will be taking liberties with Gaborik.

Like I said, getting rid of fighting forever would make me happy but until then, we need a guy who can fight.

It is simply part of the game. Clean fights still are great momentum changes and a great tactic for picking up your teams play. There is no reason to eliminate fighting.

Old
02-15-2010, 09:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Okay, no sense having two Shelley threads any longer. Please use the other thread from now on.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=738412

It's just pain.
Closed Thread