HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zinovjev sent home from the WC's for drug use / Unofficial drug test administered

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2004, 10:58 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
poor decision by zino, but smoking pot isn't a big deal- i'd be willing to guess that at least 25% of the current NHL players probably mess around w/weed at some point. as a few people said, it's just plain stupid to do it during a tournament that YOU KNOW THEY TEST AT
i mean, the kid could've waited 2 weeks and done it 6 times a day if he wanted. just another immature act by zino, but hopefully he'll learn from this.

Old
04-25-2004, 11:19 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Well at least he can play in North America in the fall if his act is together. I think a stoned traffic cop routine resulting in injury would have been a little tougher to handle.

Old
04-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Can't say this latest surprises me...

What a shame, too. He blew the opportunity to further hone his game on the world stage against some good competition.

Maybe someday he'll grow up, but it is apparent that he isn't there yet.

Old
04-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Bruin_Ron

let's give him the 'C'

Old
04-26-2004, 12:07 AM
bostontrevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Forget the law. Forget the effects of marijuana. Put it all aside for a moment.

He violated the rules and made himself ineligible. He can't play because of his mistake. Doesn't matter whether you agree with the rule or not, he blew it.
Umm... It seems to me that's exactly what I was saying.

Old
04-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2
Why is this a big deal ?

I don't know if it's a BIG deal... I would have liked to see him at the tournament, though. That's the big thing for me.

And if he didn't already have negative connotations brought to his name, we'd probably all be thinking "why is this a big deal?" Like if Bergeron got sent back for the same thing. We wouldn't like it... But there would be allowances made rather than insults thrown.

I don't think smoking pot is a big deal... I don't think that Zinovjev smoking pot is a big deal. I don't think that Zinovjev poor standing with us fans is really that big of a deal... But everything put together, plus the fact that we miss seeing play in the tournament IS relatively a noteworthy.

Old
04-26-2004, 07:26 AM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
It's a little heavy-handed to single out Zinovjev's pot use for condemnation, when it's impossible to know how many Bruins use illegal drugs. The NHL doesn't drug test.
just curious, has there been any talk of implementing a drug testing policy when the new cba is reached? do the owners want it?

Old
04-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Bruins2020

Although I am sad to hear this, as I would much rather read a story about how Sergei is working his butt off and making great strides as a pleyer.

I think it is disgusting that a trace of marijuana is blown up like this while it is perfectly acceptable for players to go out on all night drinking binges any time they want.

What is worse, one hit from a bong or a raging alcoholic? In this scenario, the latter is no problem while the hit from the bong gets you into deep trouble.

There are numerous alcoholics in professional sports.

Not defending Sergei, more stating my displeasure of the hypocracy implied here.

In many areas, alcohol is the worse drug.

Old
04-26-2004, 02:39 PM
HockeyGoddess

I don't care for either the use of drugs or alcohol. Both are dangerous, and people who use drugs or go on drunken binges and the like, I don't have a whole lot of respect for (if any) (not that that makes one iota of difference to those who are drug users or alcoholics)... Neither is really "worse" IMO. They're both bad. The difference is that one is illegal in international hockey tournaments, and the other isn't... Zinovjev KNOWS this, yet that didn't stop him from smoking some weed sometime in the recent past before the drug test was administered. That just shows a lack of cranial capacity, regardless of what caused it.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
04-26-2004, 02:50 PM
neelynugs

is zinovjev considered a possibility for russia's world cup entry? i figure the team will be littered with mostly NHLers, but i wondered where he would fit in. anyone?

Old
04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
SToMper!

No matter what anyones view on pot or alcohol is, it's simple. It was against the rules and he must've known it, and he got caught. Ya spark one up and yer already playin' with fire........dude. We can call him Spiccoli Zinovjev now! Anything to say, Mr. Hand???

Old
04-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
It's a little heavy-handed to single out Zinovjev's pot use for condemnation, when it's impossible to know how many Bruins use illegal drugs. The NHL doesn't drug test.
Hmmm...

A reporter writes about Zinovjev's immature behavior in Providence and you question that he doesn't have his facts straight.

A columnist talks about Zinovjev's petulance, and you question said columnist's integrity and call him out on this forum.

Now, you say- hey- don't single out Zinovjev- it isn't fair! There isn't a drug testing policy in the NHL! Boys will be boys!

Talk about being an apologist for someone!

The guy is missing out on some pretty good hockey because he broke the rules. If you aren't going to hold him accountable for this latest screw-up, then I don't think you have the right to be questioning anyone about anything on this forum ever again.

It all gets back to credibility. Zinovjev was reported to have issues getting to work on time. He left in a huff and went home to make more money. Now, he gets booted from his country's national team because he used an illegal substance. It isn't just one thing with this guy. Is it possible that he has some serious character issues? And, why is it that when he is at the center of controversy, people are falling over themselves to absolve him of blame?

How is this latest incident not his fault again?

Last edited by Stock Rocks: 04-26-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old
04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks

How is this latest incident not his fault again?
Well said, SR & Stomper!

To me, it basically shows a careless disregard and lack of respect for that league and in turn...the fans. Because a player knows that if he gets busted, he will be suspended.

It's all about personal accountability. Using illegal substance (even if it's only pot) is against the rules of every professional league.

We just happen to live in a society where it's always someone else's fault.

Hell...go to a bar...get drunk...drive home...get in an accident...kill someone...sue the bar for serving you.

Old
04-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Grapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink
To me, it basically shows a careless disregard and lack of respect for that league and in turn...the fans. Because a player knows that if he gets busted, he will be suspended.

It's all about personal accountability.
You're absolutely right ...

We can discuss which is worse (alcohol or pot) till we are blue in the face. That is not the issue, the kid should have known he could be tested and should have refrained from using anything that is against the rules.

Old
04-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapesarenotpucks
You're absolutely right ...

We can discuss which is worse (alcohol or pot) till we are blue in the face. That is not the issue, the kid should have known he could be tested and should have refrained from using anything that is against the rules.

Has he tried the "I was at a party.. It must have been second-hand smoke?"

Old
04-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Jeff from Maine

Very True

He SHOULD have known that this was going to be the result.

But I wont come down on him too harshly for that. Something tells me that he is far from the only one in the B`s organization to indulge in greenage from time to time.

Hell the NHL/ hockey as a whole is known as a party/drinking fraternity.

I`m not excusing his behavior....he made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

But it is a very real part of hockey. And he is far from the only one who engages in this behavior.

Later

Old
04-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Stock Rocks

Yes, but this is now one more questionable event in what is becoming a bit of a broken record don't you think?

Missed practices, questionable work habits and now this?

He's certainly not helping himself.

Old
04-26-2004, 04:04 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Yes, but this is now one more questionable event in what is becoming a bit of a broken record don't you think?

Missed practices, questionable work habits and now this?

He's certainly not helping himself.
i agree- jeff gorton talked about how zinovjev realized he made a mistake by leaving the team earlier this season, which would lead us to believe that he "matured" over the course of the year in russia. then, he goes and breaks the rules which makes him ineligible to play in a pretty good tournament. either zinovjev is still very immature, he doesn't give a crap, or he's just plain stupid. either way, he's a definite talent, and i'm hopeful that he can get over this type of behavior

Old
04-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
It seems highly speculative to claim that other players are doing the same and it's therefore not such a big deal. I have no way of knowing if that is true or not. To me, this is not about the lifestyle choice. As I've said before, I don't personally respect that choice. But to each his own, I'm not the police and have my hands full worrying about what I'm doing right or wrong on a daily basis. The problem is, Zino needs to be building his career in a positive, professional way. Or at least, if he wants to enjoy success at the top of his profession he better approach it that way. Of course, he could play in the Quebec league with Link Gaetz and Patrick Cote and other people who have made their own choices and hopefully are happy with the outcome. Regardless of one's view of the transgression, I am not sure I fully understand the rush to rationalize this incident. But then, there is no obligation to make me see things a particular way so... carry on.

Old
04-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Stock Rocks

I'm not all that surprised about the rationalization...

After all, when the President says, "It was just sex," then you're going to create the mindset that says "It was just pot!"

I'm with you- Zinovjev has yet to show me anything beyond flashes of good talent packaged around a questionable attitude and work ethic.

The road to hockey hell is paved with people like Zinovjev- talented pinheads who kept making poor decisions over and over again. For his sake- I hope he grows up sometime soon.

Old
04-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Jeff from Maine

My Stance As Well Black Eye

But I do know for a fact that MANY NHLers, as well as AHLers take part in this "lifestyle".

I dont respect it either myself. I drink but dont smoke....I`ll wait for someone to critique my stance by calling me a hypocrite...but whatever.

But it is a fact of life.

Hockey is what other sports are...a microcosm of everyday life and people.

I teach and coach, and know of MANY people in both professions who smoke pot on a regular basis.

Just as I know many people in other walks of life who do the same...athletes, militray men, professionals, bluecollar workers...

I dont respect their choices, but I wont come down on them for putting their careers in jeopardy every time they light one up.

Its their decision. They know what they risk each and every time they choose to engage in their vice.

And to Stock....yes, I agree. he certainly is building up a less than impressive resume.

Later

Old
04-26-2004, 04:27 PM
SToMper!

I wouldn't say a lot of us are coming down on him for his choice of medicinal recreation. Whether one does or doesn't is one's own business, But what I would come down on him for is his timing and immature regard for the consequences. There it's a rule that if caught in you system you're out and he was caught. Stupid decision to make when his career advancement is at stake. What he tokes is his own bag.........dude.

Old
04-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
let's give him the 'C'

Hey, as long as he shows up for the meet and greets during the playoffs he should be fine.......

Old
04-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Hey, as long as he shows up for the meet and greets during the playoffs he should be fine.......
Yeah, after all, there's nothing more important than a hockey players obligation to the media. I mean, the game itself is secondary to giving an interview.

I couldn't care less what happens to "The Siberian Smoker" as long as we don't have to see him in a Bs sweater again.

Old
04-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Pierce34*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Stupid Suckivan....its all his fault!!
Don't joke. Maybe Suckivan planted the pot on Zino (now I just have to figure out Jillson's role in all of this).

Closed Thread