HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zinovjev sent home from the WC's for drug use / Unofficial drug test administered

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2004, 06:54 PM
  #51
wensink
Registered User
 
wensink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Hey, as long as he shows up for the meet and greets during the playoffs he should be fine.......
I thought as long as the "C" would stand for cannabis.

Jusk kidding....

wensink is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 08:17 PM
  #52
hardbody77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonaldo
Sergei Zinovjev was sent home today from Russia's WC team for failing a doping test. Sovspurt.ru reported that traces of marihuana were found on Zinovjev's test.

Spells pretty bad for Zino...
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
thats terrible dude,and to think ,russia doesnt have cheetos or fritos

hardbody77 is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 09:00 PM
  #53
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
But I do know for a fact that MANY NHLers, as well as AHLers take part in this "lifestyle".

I dont respect it either myself. I drink but dont smoke....I`ll wait for someone to critique my stance by calling me a hypocrite...but whatever.

But it is a fact of life.



Later
JFM....I know you arent condoning this and I understand your point, but this incident is about one thing...responsibility. He needs to realize that he has to start acting like a professional.

I am sure a lot of people do it, but why do it if he knows there will be testing? Is he trying to get into the NBA?

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 09:31 PM
  #54
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 36,844
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce34
Don't joke. Maybe Suckivan planted the pot on Zino (now I just have to figure out Jillson's role in all of this).
Jillson prolly sold it to him......

WBC8 is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 10:19 PM
  #55
howaryuh
Registered User
 
howaryuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Maybe he was just in a room where other people were smokin pot? Sound familiar? Maybe some Canadian kid who won gold in snowboarding? lol, there are those that don't get caught, those that do and get away with it, and then the ones who get smeared and pay dearly....

howaryuh is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 11:20 PM
  #56
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
I heard that they tested Murray and found apathy in his system.

Magnus Fulgur is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 11:23 PM
  #57
ThorntoNeely198
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
And we wondered how it took Zino three weeks to get to Boston. Heck, you know how many convenience stores there are between Siberia and Wilmington? Like, eleventy bazillion.

Hell hath no fury like a winger stoned on Frozen Tundra Jibbajabba. Get this kid into training camp ASAP.

ThorntoNeely198 is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 08:41 AM
  #58
The-Godfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Hmmm...

A reporter writes about Zinovjev's immature behavior in Providence and you question that he doesn't have his facts straight.

A columnist talks about Zinovjev's petulance, and you question said columnist's integrity and call him out on this forum.

Now, you say- hey- don't single out Zinovjev- it isn't fair! There isn't a drug testing policy in the NHL! Boys will be boys!

Talk about being an apologist for someone!

The guy is missing out on some pretty good hockey because he broke the rules. If you aren't going to hold him accountable for this latest screw-up, then I don't think you have the right to be questioning anyone about anything on this forum ever again.

It all gets back to credibility. Zinovjev was reported to have issues getting to work on time. He left in a huff and went home to make more money. Now, he gets booted from his country's national team because he used an illegal substance. It isn't just one thing with this guy. Is it possible that he has some serious character issues? And, why is it that when he is at the center of controversy, people are falling over themselves to absolve him of blame?

How is this latest incident not his fault again?
With all respect......I think we are spoiled a little bit we see an 18 year old like Bergeron and how he presents himself , and we sometimes forget that some of these kids just arent as responsible, and have some major growing up to do.....I agree that this was a bonehead thing for him to do and that his actions thus far have been.....well....stupid and childish.....however we do have to remeber he is stil young and will make mistakes......that being said I don't want to see him over here again untill he gets his stuff straight....and shows he has matured.

The-Godfather is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
  #59
Stock Rocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Billerica, Mass.
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish Godfather
With all respect......I think we are spoiled a little bit we see an 18 year old like Bergeron and how he presents himself , and we sometimes forget that some of these kids just arent as responsible, and have some major growing up to do.....I agree that this was a bonehead thing for him to do and that his actions thus far have been.....well....stupid and childish.....however we do have to remeber he is stil young and will make mistakes......that being said I don't want to see him over here again untill he gets his stuff straight....and shows he has matured.
He's 24.

I think he can be expected to be held to a higher standard than the average 18 or even 20-year-old...

Stock Rocks is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 09:46 AM
  #60
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 35,936
vCash: 500
Awards:
to all those pots calling the kettle black.. knock off the off topic personal stuff.

I'm getting pretty tired of it.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 09:55 AM
  #61
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 34,202
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
let the kid smoke some dope... not like it improves his abilities!

Porn* is online now  
Old
04-27-2004, 11:01 AM
  #62
The-Godfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
He's 24.

I think he can be expected to be held to a higher standard than the average 18 or even 20-year-old...
I think you kinda missed my point........all I am trying to say is that some kids mature faster than others....granted he is at the point where I don't know if you still call him a kid....but hes not an old man either.

The-Godfather is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 11:52 AM
  #63
Stock Rocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Billerica, Mass.
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish Godfather
I think you kinda missed my point........all I am trying to say is that some kids mature faster than others....granted he is at the point where I don't know if you still call him a kid....but hes not an old man either.
I got your point.

And my point to you is that when you break the rules like this- you can't use the "he's just a kid" excuse when the player is 24.

Yes- some mature faster than others, but try using that excuse in a court of law and see how far it gets you.

Furthermore- he's been playing for the Russian national team for about four years now. He's definitely old enough to understand what the rules are, so maturity issues aside, he doesn't need to be coddled by the fans either. He got caught. Whether 99% of the hockey players around the world smoke pot is irrelevant. Zinovjev blew a good chance to play more hockey and better prepare for the next season.

We need to stop making excuses for him and realize that like John Grahame at the same age, he has some growing up to do. He needs to figure out how important professional hockey is to him and either resolve to cleaning up his off-ice act, or being content to spend the rest of his days playing pro hockey in Russia. Not only has he made it difficult to justify to the Bruins that he should be playing in Boston right now, but he's making it hard on them to trade him. They invested a high enough pick on him, that they aren't going to want to just give him away.

Stock Rocks is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
  #64
petrobruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London Ont.
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Zino Conspiracy

CHECK OUT THIS TREAD.


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=74192

petrobruin is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 01:26 PM
  #65
BoyntBergie
Registered User
 
BoyntBergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
Thanks for that Petro. Interesting indeed.

We just need to get this kid over here and get his head screwed on, and we'll be all set with him.

BoyntBergie is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 01:31 PM
  #66
Bruin_Ron
Registered User
 
Bruin_Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrobruin

Very interesting, indeed. We may never know, but regardless - his rep is taking yet another beating

Bruin_Ron is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 01:40 PM
  #67
erfus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
Very interesting, indeed. We may never know, but regardless - his rep is taking yet another beating
That seems far-fetched. If this Bardin character is substituting essentially "I just don't like him" with "He uses drugs" than he should be out of hockey. That's crazy.

erfus is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 01:44 PM
  #68
Newfie Bruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
So is it possible that the Russian GM knew he smoked weed at a particular time and to get even with him, decided to give the team a drug test.
Anyways, i still hope he gives it another try over here and shows us he can be a 50-60 pt player

Newfie Bruin is offline  
Old
04-27-2004, 11:22 PM
  #69
ThorntoNeely198
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
to all those pots calling the kettle black.. knock off the off topic personal stuff.

I'm getting pretty tired of it.
Wally, if the irritation persists until training camp, you might want to ask #54 for some of "the good stuff." I guarantee you'll be as cool as a cucumber. A frosty, just-north-of-Mongolia cucumber.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Something about this story just strikes me as incredibly, persistently funny.

ThorntoNeely198 is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 07:23 AM
  #70
bwunderlich
Registered User
 
bwunderlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: woodstock, ny
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
two things i'd like to see:

1. one of the more trusted responsible journalists round these parts set up an in depth interview with his agent and zino when the waters cool.
2. oc tell him to get over here now, live in lapointe's lawnmower shed, mow his lawn, and get heavily involved in the off-season training and conditioning program.
3. get ready to start the season with the p-bruins and hard work will get you up with the big club in no time.

bwunderlich is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 08:52 AM
  #71
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Fenway
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porn*
let the kid smoke some dope... not like it improves his abilities!
Uh, wanna bet?
At the least he'll be able to execute those abilities with, um...a little more vigor?

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:21 PM
  #72
Soyuz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
bwunderlich, I am glad you'd like to see all those things Zino do - but that's not very likely - he doesn't interview well.

As far as the Bardin issues, he is an ass and has always been that way. But, hey, this year his club won the championship. People like him pop up in Russian hockey, since it's not exactly a clean business over there. It's not that it's all mafia - but simply put a few people (owners/managers) have a lot of power and aren't accountable to anybody - not the fans or anyone since they put up their own millions and hockey is not a "business" that is at all profitable.

Soyuz is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
  #73
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Hmmm...
A reporter writes about Zinovjev's immature behavior in Providence and you question that he doesn't have his facts straight.
A columnist talks about Zinovjev's petulance, and you question said columnist's integrity and call him out on this forum.
In fact, I wasn't alone four plus months ago in questioning whether the rush-to-judgement on Zinovjev passed muster according to journalistic standards. KPD did the same in this Globe column: http://www.boston.com/sports/article...was_in_a_rush/
I still believe it isn't responsible journalism. Unless the player or his agent are offered the opportunity to respond, it's impossible to know if there were mitigating circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
Now, you say- hey- don't single out Zinovjev- it isn't fair! There isn't a drug testing policy in the NHL! Boys will be boys!
Talk about being an apologist for someone!
I'm pointing out that one or several of the other Bruins could be regular pot-smokers or worse. We can't know since the NHL doesn't drug test. We can disparage Zinovjev's behavior, but that doesn't make it unique. He just happened to get caught when he voluntarily took a drug test.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't stick words in my mouth or engage in name-calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
The guy is missing out on some pretty good hockey because he broke the rules. If you aren't going to hold him accountable for this latest screw-up, then I don't think you have the right to be questioning anyone about anything on this forum ever again.
Is it possible that he has some serious character issues? And, why is it that when he is at the center of controversy, people are falling over themselves to absolve him of blame?
How is this latest incident not his fault again?
I can't speak for Zinovjev, but I imagine that he regrets what happened because he wanted to play in the competition.

At the same time, how about a little perspective? Marijuana use and cultivation has been largely decriminalized in Canada. I don't condone pot smoking, but I don't think adult recreational use is any more serious a problem than responsible alcohol use. And there is no way to know how many NHL players smoke pot.

I've read the same reports questioning Zinovjev's character as you have. I found it hard to reconcile those reports with the effort he expended on the ice during games, but that doesn't prove or disapprove their veracity. Maybe the reports are true in whole or in part. Maybe they are exagerrated. I don't know. I hope they aren't true because I hate to see talent and especially Bruins' talent wasted.

Your name-calling me an "apologist" and declaring that "I don't think you have the right to be questioning anyone about anything on this forum ever again" are the kind of personal attacks that drag this forum down to the least common denominator. Is it really necessary?


Last edited by misterjaggers: 04-28-2004 at 02:51 PM.
misterjaggers is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
  #74
Stock Rocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Billerica, Mass.
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers

Your name-calling me an "apologist" and declaring that "I don't think you have the right to be questioning anyone about anything on this forum ever again" are the kind of personal attacks that drag this forum down to the least common denominator. Is it really necessary?
So let me get this straight-

You do the same thing to others, and then you hide behind the rules when someone else holds you to the same standard that you have done in the past to Bruwinz20 and others you don't agree with?

Riiiight.

I made no personal attack. A personal attack would be saying "You're an idiot."

Saying you are an apologist is an observation supported by the fact that you publicly questioned a ProJo reporter about needing a fact checker on a story he wrote that you didn't agree with, and then coming on here and trivializing Zinovjev's alleged drug use. Is that not the definition of an apologist? Someone who continues to make excuses for someone (ie- reporter not having the right story, hey- the nhl doesn't drug test so what's the que pasa)

As far as the questioning on the forum comment, that's how I feel. You are very outspoken and nasty toward players who don't perform in your eyes, but then give another guy who you happen to like a free pass when he appears to make another mistake that reflects poorly on him. What should be good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Review the rules, sport. I haven't done anything on this thread that you yourself haven't engaged in during past months. And I'd appreciate you not making moderator-baiting comments to the effect, using words like "name-calling" and "personal attack" as it is clear that I haven't done that. Saying that you are an apologist isn't an insult. It's an observation- one that I backed up with references to the fact. If you ave an issue with it- take it up with me instead of openly moderator-baiting as you are doing.

Feel free to PM me for any further comments.

Rob

Stock Rocks is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 04:37 PM
  #75
HockeyGoddess
 
HockeyGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
I'd really prefer not to close down this thread. Please take personal disagreements to PM or email.

__________________
I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect!

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
HockeyGoddess is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.