HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Does The SUN Have Against Katz?

Old
02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
Exactly, horrendous, bunch of damn babies in the media. I don't care who reports what, eventually anything of interest makes its way to places like this and like OilersNation, places that are a lot less biased and usually filter out a more accurate opinion anyway. The media feel like they're owed something by Katz and the Oil? Are they mad that they have to tune into the radio and listen to Katz like chumps? That they can't ask the burning questions I'm sure they all had waiting to spring on him?

Give me a break Derek Van Diest. Loser. I hope print media goes out the window in this century and the internet takes over. Hopefully idiots like him will be out of a job.
You dont think its understandable that a Journalist would be pissed when his competiotor (a biased shill who is simply a mouthpiece) is given access that he is constantly denied.
Seems like a reasonable emotion to me.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
MrOiler

These articles make Edmonton look like some kind of hick town. I hate to say it, but Edmonton and Calgary really are night and day in terms of vision and attitude. It's really too bad. Edmonton more and more just seems like a big Grande Prarie once you have been anywhere else outside of Alberta.

It could be so much more.

It's a shame that such small minded people are running the press in Edmonton. I wonder if at the root of it is that they are intimidated by someone who can get things done? Afraid they might lose their place in the big scheme of things? Or, "Hey Mr. Katz, you're not paying enough attention to me! I'll show you."

This whole downtown development might be a watershed moment for Edmonton: step up as a city, or step back and remain a second/third tier city. We have the economy, but it doesn't appear as if we have the leadership or vision.

I would love to see Edmonton become more than it is. I just can't help but feel that the Jones, Van Diests, and Simmons of Edmonton will stop it dead in its tracks. You have to wonder what small things motivate them.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Agreed. Katz's interview was nothing more than an infomercial.
I think you might be misunderstanding me, but to be clear, I feel this article is written because the Sun is disappointed that THEY aren't getting this coverage. I'm sure they would have loved to have had this infomercial in print on the front page of their paper.

The first paragraph makes them sound like babies.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
So once again The SUN has started up the anti-Katz propaganda machine with this gem:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/co...49641-sun.html

It's time this POS rag gets put in their place. Especially their "sports" dept. A bunch of long toothed, lard ***** and young know-nothings.

Edmonton's becoming more of a joke by the day.
That story stank of jealousy. Why would katz choose to talk to the SUN? His message was meant for Oilers fans, if their is one media stream that could reach the most Oilers fans its probably Oilers Lunch and the Oilers website, not the SUN.

Why does the owner have to talk to the media? All i care about is if he pays the bills and keeps the team in Edmonton. The only real decision he needs to make is who his President of hockey Ops should be. Then after that its up to the President.

So Mr.SUN if you want answers ask Lowe, ask Tambi, don't ask Katz cause he's not going to be able to answer your questions properly. That would be like going to the Owner of Safeway and asking him what isle you will find the tomatoes in your local Safeway.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
These articles make Edmonton look like some kind of hick town. I hate to say it, but Edmonton and Calgary really are night and day in terms of vision and attitude. It's really too bad. Edmonton more and more just seems like a big Grande Prarie once you have been anywhere else outside of Alberta.

It could be so much more.

It's a shame that such small minded people are running the press in Edmonton. I wonder if at the root of it is that they are intimidated by someone who can get things done? Afraid they might lose their place in the big scheme of things? Or, "Hey Mr. Katz, you're not paying enough attention to me! I'll show you."

This whole downtown development might be a watershed moment for Edmonton: step up as a city, or step back and remain a second/third tier city. We have the economy, but it doesn't appear as if we have the leadership or vision.

I would love to see Edmonton become more than it is. I just can't help but feel that the Jones, Van Diests, and Simmons of Edmonton will stop it dead in its tracks. You have to wonder what small things motivate them.
So its reasonable to shut out all but a select few in the media who are his mouthpieces.
And Edmonton should just open the chequebook for Katz & give him whatever he asks for?

Old
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Beerfish

I thought the article was going to be written by Jones. I sense that the media outlets are mad because as a high profile guy he stays out of the spotlight and the fact that he feeds info to only certain media sources.

The writer was totally correct about the 'interview'. Picking an employee who has obviously lost all objectivity on the situation to lob you soft balls and nod in agreement isn't that meaningful.

Essentially people are waiting to see what big difference Katz is going to make to this team. The team has a bigger payroll, is much much worse and he has changed his tune about paying 100 mill towards an arena.

People are right to ask just what has changed for the better.

I do agree about the sun though. I sense at least in the Jones articles that he is more pissed at Katz for not offering himself up for interviews as opposed to what he has or has not done for the team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
So its reasonable to shut out all but a select few in the media who are his mouthpieces.
And Edmonton should just open the chequebook for Katz & give him whatever he asks for?
I do think it is reasonable to not deal with media that has demonstrated that they will openly attack you because you aren't helping them sell their product by talking with them.

There is no way I'd reward Terry Jones with an interview after he decided to smear my face into the dirt.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I do think it is reasonable to not deal with media that has demonstrated that they will openly attack you because you aren't helping them sell their product by talking with them.

There is no way I'd reward Terry Jones with an interview after he decided to smear my face into the dirt.
Thing is , he deals with NO ONE, other than his paid shills who masquerade as members of the media.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Matador

The media and the citizens in this city have the right to question Katz. It creates healthy debate and prevents one side from taking advantage of the other. Openly questioning the team, and the Katz Group isn't anti-Edmonton and it isn't anti-Katz, nor is it intended to push him away from the city. Furthermore it is not proof of the so called deadmonton mentality that those who do question him apparently have. There is a lot of academic literature questioning the socio-economic benefit of building new sport arenas to revitalize an economy and create world class city prestige. The debate needs to take place to make sure Edmonton gets it right where others have failed. Unfortunately some people have an either "you're with us or against us" mentality in regards to Katz and the arena project.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Thing is , he deals with NO ONE, other than his paid shills who masquerade as members of the media.
I personally don't think it'd be any different if he had made the announcement through the Edmonton Sun, or any other media outlet.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Jmask83

That was the worst article ever. First off no one ever expected Eberle to be a dominant player. We expect him to come in be a solid 20 to 25 goal guy that can score some clutch goals and play well on the powerplay. As for MPS and Anton Lander?? Well I have seen them play I don't even get paid to watch them play and I have seen them play both in WJC and SEL. Maybe I should get this guy's job because I can write a more informed article than him. There is nothing wrong with having a balanced team with many 20 to 25 goal scorers and thats what our current crop of young guys are.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
Exactly, horrendous, bunch of damn babies in the media. I don't care who reports what, eventually anything of interest makes its way to places like this and like OilersNation, places that are a lot less biased and usually filter out a more accurate opinion anyway. The media feel like they're owed something by Katz and the Oil? Are they mad that they have to tune into the radio and listen to Katz like chumps? That they can't ask the burning questions I'm sure they all had waiting to spring on him?

Give me a break Derek Van Diest. Loser. I hope print media goes out the window like the extinction of the dinosaur in this century and the internet takes over. Hopefully idiots like him will be out of a job.
Fixed it. It sounds better that way.

02-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I personally don't think it'd be any different if he had made the announcement through the Edmonton Sun, or any other media outlet.

Who knows. Fact is, its only his paid jocksniffers who are granted access.
If other members of the media are somewhat frustrated by that, I dont think its all that surprsing or inappropriate.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Little Fury

Knowing how the MSM in this town usually deals with the Oilers management, I really doubt van Diest or Jones would have the balls to ask those "tough questions" (some of which are quite legitimate IMO) if they did have direct access to Katz.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Auguste Escoffier

"How can you expect Jordan Eberle to come in and be a dominant player in the league when he only had 75 points in his draft year, while Sam Gagner had 118 and is still developing three years into his NHL career? Rob Schremp had 90 in his first year of junior and didn't pan out."

Is this guy extremely clueless?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Who knows. Fact is, its only his paid jocksniffers who are granted access.
If other members of the media are somewhat frustrated by that, I dont think its all that surprsing or inappropriate.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were a member of the MSM...with the inappropriate referances to other media personnel that happen to have his ear. Kind of pitiful really...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

What I took out of that was that Mr. Van Diest believes that Katz should make all the decisions for this club without undermining Tambellini and Lowe while doing it.

Absolute garbage. I stopped reading when he asked who has seen MPS and Lander play.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Katz isn't really shuting out specific media, he just doesn't like to talk period and he did a thing with someone he trusted. It's not like he is picking and choosing which reporters from rival companies he wants to talk to. He wanted to get a message out there without having to deal with the usually media bs.

You really think now after people are calling him out that he'll give them the exclusive interview they want? Sounds like a bunch of god dam kids in the local media.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I wouldn't use the Sun to wipe my bottom.

But, fair is fair. This article may have some bad questions, but it also has a lot of valid ones.
That's the worst and most dangerous form of journalism, mixing truth and lies together. Some valid points with negative views and propaganda.

That easily gets people confused and bought into their self serving agenda.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
its not like the journal is any better, Paula Simmons (or whatever her name is) was pretty anti-arena
The sports section itself may not be any better (even thought it is) - in your opinion at least - but the paper itself is 1,000,000x better.

The Sun is pure trash.

Last edited by Philly85: 02-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
That's the worst and most dangerous form of journalism, mixing truth and lies together. Some valid points with negative views and propaganda.

That easily gets people confused and bought into their self serving agenda.
No doubt the Sun has an agenda. Jones has been hounding Katz for years.

Unfortunately, I think Katz saw his shadow, and he'll disappear back into his hidey-hole for another 18 months. So it doesn't matter who asks the questions.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
Copy and paste job:

We have a guy who worked his a** off, profited, and he is still being shot down.

He is worth Billions, decided to live here and raise his kids here.

You don't build a 20+ million dollar house in Edmonton for future investment. It means you wan't to live here.

And people, backward people, want to push this guy away.

Shame on you people.

Pathetic.
nothing to do about that at all.

don't you have an issue about the fact the person who interviewed him is an employee of his? and he said 100 million to a new arena and now he has all these conditions and it's towards the development? I think it is fair to question his intentions in regards to the hockey team and further development in the community.

you mention his drive for profit and he is worth billions. that's the exact reason why we worry.
he either wants ownership of the team to make profit, or as a toy. both of which does not benefit the oilers or the city.
remember the big Gerorges contract offer and his envolvement with heatley. maybe tambo doesn't have the jucie to improve the team, because of katz.

regardless, Katz so far has done nothing so far as an owner that is selfless or shows he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
he built that 20 million house for himself. he sure didn't do it to improve the community and help others. or did it have a soup kitchen I didn't hear about?

I believe there is nothing he does unless he stands to make money from it. so anything he or his team says, we should all take it with a grain of salt.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
The media and the citizens in this city have the right to question Katz. It creates healthy debate and prevents one side from taking advantage of the other. Openly questioning the team, and the Katz Group isn't anti-Edmonton and it isn't anti-Katz, nor is it intended to push him away from the city. Furthermore it is not proof of the so called deadmonton mentality that those who do question him apparently have. There is a lot of academic literature questioning the socio-economic benefit of building new sport arenas to revitalize an economy and create world class city prestige. The debate needs to take place to make sure Edmonton gets it right where others have failed. Unfortunately some people have an either "you're with us or against us" mentality in regards to Katz and the arena project.

well said. kudos to you.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Copperhead

Is it even common practice for owners in this league to talk that much to the press anyways? As far as I'm concerned I want to hear from the guys being paid to make decisions and coach the team.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Katz isn't really shuting out specific media, he just doesn't like to talk period and he did a thing with someone he trusted. It's not like he is picking and choosing which reporters from rival companies he wants to talk to. He wanted to get a message out there without having to deal with the usually media bs.

You really think now after people are calling him out that he'll give them the exclusive interview they want? Sounds like a bunch of god dam kids in the local media.
Eh? of course he was shutting out other media by like.....not giving any interviews to them. And if by trusted you mean an employee that he 100% knows will not ask him any uncomfy questions you have it about right.

Just remember...'MacT isn't going anywhere.'

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote