HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LRT Expansion

Old
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Shredator

vCash: 500
LRT Expansion

The LRT is going to be expanding soon here. It was proposed to goto the new arena site via the Grant Mac station, so I thought i'd look to see if anything else was planned.
They are going to expand it 6 lines and go all over the city, St. Albert. There is a presentation on the site there. Its pretty cool, Edmonton will be a huge and brand new city soon.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...work-plan.aspx

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Yeah, my girlfriend is an engineer for the expansion project. I've been following it for a while, it looks pretty cool.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
dookers9

Long overdue.

Odd how Edmonton was the first on the continent to boast light rail, but essentially stopped building right after.

Too bad there wasn't the forethought by councils past to have undertaken more work by now. We could have used it long ago.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Gah instead of going to millwoods send a line to the airport.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Would it work to get out to the airport. It would be really convenient to have something like that to the airport. They opened the Canada Line out here on the west coast and it's really convenient. We took the Canada Line to the airport when we went to Florida in December.

02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Would it work to get out to the airport. It would be really convenient to have something like that to the airport. They opened the Canada Line out here on the west coast and it's really convenient. We took the Canada Line to the airport when we went to Florida in December.
I love the idea of reaching the airport - hopefully with a specially designed train car, because the current ones would be a joke with luggage. I was living in Brisbane, Australia years ago and we hopped on a train much like our LRT that took us to the airport, and it was brutal. Our luggage was all over the aisles in peoples' way. I would think that they cold make a point of running a particular style of car on routes south of Ellerslie.

As for Millwoods... aren't there something like 300K residents within the borders of it? I'm thinking that it'd be equally as important to get the train out there in the name of traffic.

Old
02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Senor Catface

I haven't looked into it, but if we're connecting St. Albert to the line, are they going to help fund it or is it an Edmonton only idea for money?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
I love the idea of reaching the airport - hopefully with a specially designed train car, because the current ones would be a joke with luggage. I was living in Brisbane, Australia years ago and we hopped on a train much like our LRT that took us to the airport, and it was brutal. Our luggage was all over the aisles in peoples' way. I would think that they cold make a point of running a particular style of car on routes south of Ellerslie.

As for Millwoods... aren't there something like 300K residents within the borders of it? I'm thinking that it'd be equally as important to get the train out there in the name of traffic.
They made the trains wider out here that go out to the airport and luggage isn't all over the place. They've got a special area for wheelchairs and another for bicycles. The room between the seats is bigger as well.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Well lets see if the FINALLY get their **** together

When I left Edmonton in 1990'sh they had already announced plans to expand to Mill Woods, West Edmonton Mall(up the old train line that ran along stony plain road--at one point in time there were plans to build houses there) and to get it out to the International airport

I know when I left they were argueing who would pay for it--have they FINALLY settled that arguement 20 years later?

Considering how long it took for this to get the green light(if it has finally been approved) I do not hold hope for a new arena in my life time.

For those old enough(like me--yes grey hair is showing) they first annonced these plans right after the expantion to the university area. NOt sure why it took so long for it go any further

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Well lets see if the FINALLY get their **** together

When I left Edmonton in 1990'sh they had already announced plans to expand to Mill Woods, West Edmonton Mall(up the old train line that ran along stony plain road--at one point in time there were plans to build houses there) and to get it out to the International airport

I know when I left they were argueing who would pay for it--have they FINALLY settled that arguement 20 years later?

Considering how long it took for this to get the green light(if it has finally been approved) I do not hold hope for a new arena in my life time.

For those old enough(like me--yes grey hair is showing) they first annonced these plans right after the expantion to the university area. NOt sure why it took so long for it go any further
Oh, I'm pretty sure you DO know. That is, if you've indeed lived any part of your adult life here - as you say - and have come to get a grasp of just how inefficient the old cronies in City Council have been over the past couple decades.

We're all cautiously optimistic that this thing goes through. Cautiously.

Old
02-13-2010, 12:16 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure you DO know. That is, if you've indeed lived any part of your adult life here - as you say - and have come to get a grasp of just how inefficient the old cronies in City Council have been over the past couple decades.

We're all cautiously optimistic that this thing goes through. Cautiously.
well from start to finish the tearing down of Renfrew park(nee John Ducey Park) to the building of the Teles Feild took 2 to 3 years in the planning

Like I said--when they open the university expantion is when they first announced the plans we are talking about now was first talked about in 1986 when they made plans for uni expantion--lets see 2010-1986--24 years-- even by Edmonton standerds that i a hell of time to plan things out.

Whatever happened to the west Edmonton mall expantion plans? Could have used that when I attended JP

Old
02-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Muad'Dib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
I haven't looked into it, but if we're connecting St. Albert to the line, are they going to help fund it or is it an Edmonton only idea for money?
Based on plans for the expansion from Nait it looks like they line will stop around 153rd Ave and St. Albert Trail. It would be my guess that it would be up to St. Albert to build a connecting line if they wanted one. Who knows, by the time this gets completed Edmonton may have already annexed St. Albert.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...sFactSheet.pdf

Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:26 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
well from start to finish the tearing down of Renfrew park(nee John Ducey Park) to the building of the Teles Feild took 2 to 3 years in the planning

Like I said--when they open the university expantion is when they first announced the plans we are talking about now was first talked about in 1986 when they made plans for uni expantion--lets see 2010-1986--24 years-- even by Edmonton standerds that i a hell of time to plan things out.

Whatever happened to the west Edmonton mall expantion plans? Could have used that when I attended JP
Though I agree planning time is usually too long, lets not act like Edmonton is the only city that this happens in.

Calgary's West LRT was first proposed in the early 1980s, and didn't receive approval and detailed planning until 2006. These things take time.

Things moved pretty quick last year on the new LRT lines, with the routes being selected fairly quickly.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:33 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Couple of quick questions

1) Is the money in Place

2) Have they started building?

I only ask becuase I know the WEM expantion was announced it was believed the money was in place--this was about 94'ish

btw

using Calgary as an example is never a good starting point for a rebuttle IMO

Old
02-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Muad'Dib

This is just in the concept phase right now. The city has approved or pretty much approved the routes for the WEM, Millwood and NAIT LRT expansions. Now that is done, they can start looking into further into the future while the current projects are being built. Current planning includes this expansion towards St. Albert, Elerslie and north from Clarview. There is also a desire to expand towards Sherwood Park. The Elerslie station would be the likely jump off point for an airport LRT station.

Old
02-13-2010, 06:37 AM
smithboy89

What they should have done is built a ring-track around the city when they built the Henday.

From there just expand out to the ring-road using more tracks, or even busses.

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:56 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithboy89 View Post
What they should have done is built a ring-track around the city when they built the Henday.

From there just expand out to the ring-road using more tracks, or even busses.

overpasses take money and time to build. If you feel the timing is still short sighted, by all means throw in some of your disposable income towards the project. Chances are, we won't see a dime from you folk once the arena district becomes a reality.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Muad'Dib

Quote:
That may be what the city is planning. The Elerslie, St. Albert Trail and Gormon train stops are all close to the Henday. The city may plan to eventually connect them.

Old
02-13-2010, 09:33 AM
hungoverman

Quote:
I live in Milwoods. All they need to do is run a super express bus every 20 minutes from Millwoods TC to Century Park LRT. Every day 6 am til 1 am. Use the cash on the expansion north and west.

hungoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Darshan

i live in millwoods too and i would never take the bus. however, if there is an LRT getting me around I am all up for that. Millwoods alone would be the 3rd largest city in Alberta next to Calgary and Edmonton. Why would you NOT put the LRT there?

Darshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungoverman View Post
I live in Milwoods. All they need to do is run a super express bus every 20 minutes from Millwoods TC to Century Park LRT. Every day 6 am til 1 am. Use the cash on the expansion north and west.
This is a horrible idea for most of Millwoods and the Meadows who are far away from the Century park terminus. Which is a terminus.

So this would be catch bus, transfer at MWTC, jump on Century shuttle, ride LRT say to Coliseum or Commonwealth.

Even optimistically this would be 45 mins with no waits. For a trip that could be made direct by express buses to those locations quicker.

Making Millwoods a feed to a terminus is the worst of ideas that has been shotdown every time.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:49 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Couple of quick questions

1) Is the money in Place

2) Have they started building?

I only ask becuase I know the WEM expantion was announced it was believed the money was in place--this was about 94'ish

btw

using Calgary as an example is never a good starting point for a rebuttle IMO
1) No, not yet. Working on funding, I believe.

2) No.

And what's wrong with using Calgary as an example? They're a similarly sized city, in the same province, and are often seen as a "measuring stick" for development in Edmonton (for some people anyways), and their LRT took just as long to plan.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:28 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post

2) No.

And what's wrong with using Calgary as an example? They're a similarly sized city, in the same province, and are often seen as a "measuring stick" for development in Edmonton (for some people anyways), and their LRT took just as long to plan.
top reasons not to use Calgary as a measuring stick

1) It is Calgary

2) Calgary sucks

3) see number 2

4) I would rather see Edmonton leading the following cowtown

5) Never follow a city that call themselves cowtown--something just wrong with that

Old
02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
SlowFreshOil*

There are whispers here in Leduc there's a massive capital region mass transit system that's being planned. One of the first phases would be a line out to the airport.

Take it for what it's worth, but the Mayor in his state of the city address said that there are plans for a transit system between Leduc, Nisku and Edmonton during peak hours during the next year.

It would only make sense that they're looking at the airport too for even further future expansion. It could be a nice money maker for the municipalities involved. I would rather pay a $15-20 LRT fare to get from the airport to the city. It beats paying those blood sucking airport taxis.

I'm all for mass transit. Build a bullet train between here and Calgary too with a stop in Red Deer along the way.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post

2) No.

The entire C-Train runs above ground. Don't like as above ground can be dangerous.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote