HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shorter Scheds, More rivalries, no interdivisional play

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2004, 07:30 AM
SwiftyHab

vCash: 500
Shorter Scheds, More rivalries, no interdivisional play

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=81473

This is just at the proposal stage, but personally I'm cool with it. Yes Id like to see western conference teams more often, but I also like the idea of building divisional rivalries, even though our division may be one of the toughest next year and our record may not be as representitve because of our stiffer competition compared to say a Tampa Bay who will face much weaker opponents more often
On second thought, this may not be such a good idea afterall.

I say, I say, if you really want to improve the game, let players use their sticks in a fight, and just like in Sega's Ice Hockey, if you lose the fight you get 5 minutes in the box. They should also put both team benches back together, allow bench brawls, and institute the no touch icing rule, God forbid some poor guy gets hurt in a footrace.

Old
04-25-2004, 08:04 AM
temporary pencil

Are they trying to turn hockey into baseball?

Old
04-25-2004, 08:28 AM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
I don't like it.......... the best games are against the west.... so I hope they don't do it....

Old
04-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I would vote no against this idea.

Old
04-25-2004, 08:36 AM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
They should make a canadian division...... It will be easier for canadian team to survive...

Old
04-25-2004, 10:20 AM
chicpea*

No inter-conference play? When would I get to see the Habs?! Are you crazy?

Old
04-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Habsolution

8 games against your own division ? Unfair...

Old
04-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Habber

I like the idea of a shorter sched, but they can't scrap inter-conference play, that would suck. How am I supposed to wacth the Habs when they don't come to Calgary and Edmonton?

Old
04-25-2004, 11:40 AM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Canadian division would be great.

Old
04-25-2004, 12:25 PM
G Man 77

I like it... more games against TO, Boston, Ottawa means more meaningful games that I always look forward to watching.

Who cares about facing Western teams we only see once every 2 years now anyway? I can live without seeing Columbus or even the Avs... there's no rivalry or emotion there, not even against the Western Canadian teams.

Less travel, less games.. means healthier players giving us a better show on the ice. Right now we have teams watered down by injuries playing back to back games against teams they meet once a year, no wonder the games suck.

So the Western Canadian teams won't get to see the HAbs & TO, but in return they get to see each other more often... always good games that sell out.
We can see each in pre-season, or in the Cup Finals.

A little less revenue for teams, but lower travel costs, & more sellouts because you're replacing "who cares" games like Columbus or Florida by more games against division rivals.

More big divisional games on TV should mean higher ratings also, perhaps salvaging a better TV deal in the future.
It also allows the NHL to better serve both US & Canadian TV demands.., the US teams can have their Sat afternoon games while the 2 Canadian divisions can play on Saturday nights.

The fans should be happy because they'll see more rested players playing more meaningful games (72 instead of 82) with more emotion against division rivals... so what if they don't get to see Western teams, personally it doesn't bother me a bit.

Old
04-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Rahan

Nobody sees a problem here? We would be really disavantaged being in such a strong division. Now Tampa would be assured being in the top-4 for 20 years at least, the South-East division being what it is. That sucks.

Old
04-25-2004, 12:38 PM
RE-HABS

As much as the west would miss out on seeing the Habs and Leafs coming out to play their teams I would rather see the Habs play their rivals more than see the Predators or Blue Jackets come to town.

I think they are trying to make the rivalaries bigger, division games more important and get travel costs down for teams, that would generate the lost money for less games played for the teams.

It is something you may have to try, if it doesn't work you scrap it and go back to what worked before...its not like the NHL doesn't change its mind, the offside rule is coming back to speed up the game again so things can go back to how they were.

I think there would be a rule of some sort though of the Canadian teams playing each other though.

Old
04-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Breenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyHab
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=81473

This is just at the proposal stage, but personally I'm cool with it. Yes Id like to see western conference teams more often, but I also like the idea of building divisional rivalries, even though our division may be one of the toughest next year and our record may not be as representitve because of our stiffer competition compared to say a Tampa Bay who will face much weaker opponents more often
On second thought, this may not be such a good idea afterall.

I say, I say, if you really want to improve the game, let players use their sticks in a fight, and just like in Sega's Ice Hockey, if you lose the fight you get 5 minutes in the box. They should also put both team benches back together, allow bench brawls, and institute the no touch icing rule, God forbid some poor guy gets hurt in a footrace.
I hope they do it. Games only get better when there is some sort of history between the two teams. I don't care to see any team one a year, there's no anamosity. The reason why playoff hockey is so much better too is because of the history.

Old
04-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Traitor8

Look guys...it's a disadvantage...teams like Boston,Toronto,Ottawa,Buffalo will never be as bad as Atlanta,Washington,Carolina this year...their fans just wouldn't allow it..

Move Pittsurgh to Winnipeg
Move Buffalo to Quebec

Division:
Montreal
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa
Boston

Other Divison:
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Colombus

Other Diviison:
Detroit
Colorado
Dallas
St-Louis
Los Angeles

Other Division:
Atlanta
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington
Carolina

Other :

New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
New York
New York

Old
04-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
As much as the west would miss out on seeing the Habs and Leafs coming out to play their teams I would rather see the Habs play their rivals more than see the Predators or Blue Jackets come to town.
I don't especially like the Predators and the Blue Jackets but Zherdev, Nash, Hamhuis I care about and I'd like to watch them play against the habs once in my lifetime.

I also care a lot about Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Detroit and a couple of others.

Quote:
I think they are trying to make the rivalaries bigger, division games more important and get travel costs down for teams, that would generate the lost money for less games played for the teams.
Regular season games don't create rivalries. Besides playing 8 mores games a season against Boston, Ottawa, Toronto and Buffalo won't create a rivalry. There's already one. And it's been created in the off season. Besides some rivalries have nothing to do with teams being in the same division (ie Colorado and Detroit).

Also teams like Washington, Detroit and Carolina get the shaft as far as travelling is concerned if the new schedule format was to go on.

Anyway you lose 5 home games with the new sched. What does that mean 5M-10M ? You think they'd save 5M-10M of travelling ? Possible...

Quote:
It is something you may have to try, if it doesn't work you scrap it and go back to what worked before...its not like the NHL doesn't change its mind, the offside rule is coming back to speed up the game again so things can go back to how they were.
Well you know how the league is slow to accept the fact they made a mistake...

Quote:
I think there would be a rule of some sort though of the Canadian teams playing each other though.
The league doesn't care about that.

In this proposition the NHLPA and the league win. The fans lose. Just like always.

You see I think the idea of reducing the number of games is a good one. But I hate the no inter-conference and 32 games against your division methods of achieving this.

It creates a problem where there's none (no inter-conference games) and accentuate one that is already existing (playing more games against your division).

Right now teams like Nashville, Atlanta, Detroit and TB would benefit a lot from playing in weak divisions. The Habs, Sabres, St-Louis would have a harder time to make it into the post season. If it creates a problem right now. Chances are it'll still be one in 10 years.

My schedule would be :

4 times against every eastern opponents = 56 games
once against the western opponents = 15 games
For a total of 71 games.

A reduced schedule, a fair schedule, one in which you get to see every team in the NHL.

Old
04-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Look guys...it's a disadvantage...teams like Boston,Toronto,Ottawa,Buffalo will never be as bad as Atlanta,Washington,Carolina this year...their fans just wouldn't allow it..
You don't know about that. It might changes a lot. The leafs were bad for a long time. Buffalo too, Boston got Thornton one year because they were the worst. Montreal sucked the big one for a long while. It happens.

Right now the problem is in the SE and Central divisions. In 10 years the problem might lie elsewhere, especially since teams like Atlanta, Washington, Florida will all be on the rise with the great players they have and I'm not even talking about TB who's got a great team right now. Obviously from year to year some teams are gonna benefit from this though. And it's just not fair.

Old
04-25-2004, 02:37 PM
G Man 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
My schedule would be :

4 times against every eastern opponents = 56 games
once against the western opponents = 15 games
For a total of 71 games.

A reduced schedule, a fair schedule, one in which you get to see every team in the NHL.
Only 4 times a year against TO & Boston?... no thanks
Screw the inter-conference games, nobody cares about 'em anyway...

The only argument with much validity against the proposed change is the advantage it gives to certain divisions... but that's relative.
Atlanta & Florida will be very good very shortly, Tampa is already strong... Washington will recover.

Then the 2 other divisions are sufficiently strong... things will even out in time.

They might consider "strength of sched" as a tie-breaker... but then again that's dangerous you don't want to end up with a system as stupid as college basketball in the States.

The Habs blow all the games vs. "easy" teams anyway, we usually play to the level of our opponents... so playing more against the East doesn't bother me. And as I said in the next few years the South division will get much better.

Old
04-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man 77
Only 4 times a year against TO & Boston?... no thanks
Screw the inter-conference games, nobody cares about 'em anyway...
I disagree. A lot of people care about inter-conference games. So you don't mind never seeing the likes of Bertuzzi, Naslund, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Nash, Zherdev, Datsyuk, Nagy, Doan, Marleau, Iginla ever again ? I do. And I know a lot of people do.

No Lemieux VS Gretz match ups ? No Roy VS Habs ? Imagine how that would have sucked.

I care about 'em. As a hockey fan I like to see as many different teams as possible. As many talented players as possible.

Quote:
The only argument with much validity against the proposed change is the advantage it gives to certain divisions... but that's relative.
Atlanta & Florida will be very good very shortly, Tampa is already strong... Washington will recover.

Then the 2 other divisions are sufficiently strong... things will even out in time.
I like that positive approach but fact is that some divisions are gonna be stronger than others at one point in the future. Wether it be the SE, NE, whatever. One of them is gonna be stronger and one of them is gonna be weaker. And it won't be fair. It isn't right now. It hasn't been ever since the division were separated that way. I don't see it changing over night.

One day Washington, Atlanta, etc will be good teams. But maybe one day the leafs, Devils, Flyers won't be as good. Maybe the likes of Hossa, Havlat, Alfredsson will bolt out of Ottawa making them a weak team in 5 years. Thus making the division weaker. You have no idea what the future has in store, neither do I. What I know is that if it's a problem right now, there are possibilites about it being a problem in the future. Playing 8 more games against your division will only accentuate that problem.

Quote:
They might consider "strength of sched" as a tie-breaker... but then again that's dangerous you don't want to end up with a system as stupid as college basketball in the States.
I'm not sure I'm aware of this strenght of schedule system. Is it like the NFL ? Do you mean re-arranging divisions depending on the previous season standings ? If that is so, no thanx.

Quote:
The Habs blow all the games vs. "easy" teams anyway, we usually play to the level of our opponents... so playing more against the East doesn't bother me. And as I said in the next few years the South division will get much better.
Irrelevant. I'm not talking about the habs. Maybe we'll benefit from this in 10 years. I'd still think it's not a good rule.

Closed Thread