HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nodar Kumaritashvili

View Poll Results: Should TSN/SPORTSNET have televized his death?
yes 57 42.86%
no 76 57.14%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2010, 10:59 AM
McQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I wanted to see it as well, I think. I guess my thing is that maybe they could have made the footage available on there web site for people that wanted to look for it, and not have kinda force fed it to the masses.
Dude, "force fed?" Change the channel. This isn't 1984.

McQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:00 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
So not even OT???, I come to a hockey site to talk hockey and I am bombarded by self righteous indignation. Isn't there an Olympic site or "***** about the media" site where you could go to post this poll?
Go away.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
SpaceCam

I'm not sure if I'm not seeing the same footage as everyone else (I've only seen the one head on camera view), but the footage I've seen really isn't THAT graphic. It's shocking, yes - and truly tragic, but I have seen far more graphic footage in my time.
Personally what I find more disturbing are the still pictures taken during the run & I get to thinking "you're about to die & you have no idea". That disturbs me more than the footage itself.

SpaceCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Loweball

Seeing it on TV wasn't as bad as the first time I saw it, on TSN's web page. You actually hear a "DONG" when his head hits the pole. That made me queezy.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
deanmoriarty

Meh, I've been able to avoid seeing the footage, it's not like they're forcing it on people.

Unfortunately the public gets kicks from tragedy and the media knows it

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:23 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Saw it on CTV news after the opening ceremony. They did give the warning that the content was graphic.

02-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosik View Post
Pretty sure all the American broadcasters showed it also at least im 99% sure NBC did.

That doesn't make it the right thing to do. In my opinion, it was highly unethical to show a man's death on national tv.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I wanted to see it. I wanted to see what happened. There's going to be so much talk and analysis about it, I wanted the information. It was horrible horrible footage - even though I thought I prepared for it, there's no preparing for it.

But I have no problem with them showing it, provided they give warnings and they don't sensationalize it. It's information. And it's powerful footage. There's nothing wrong with showing the footage; what's gained from hiding it other than repressing information and sheltering the audience from the harsh reality of what happened, the danger inherent in that sport, and the pain we all feel as humans connecting to that poor poor man's last moments?
Pretty much my take. I wanted to see what went wrong and what indication there was of why. i.e. problems with the track.

Not showing this would have looked as much like cover up and could also be perceived as protectionist and self serving.

Make no mistake this is a black eye for Vanoc, not bonus ratings(if thats what anybody thinks) Its terrible for all concerned that this occurred at a venue. Seemingly due to the venue. Even greater tragedy for Vanoc that it occurred before the opening even got under way.

I think in an era of increased extreme sports getting ever more extreme its also possible that a tragedy serves as a reminder of sensible limits and boundaries about pushing the envelope to far.

A tragic reminder but one that may save other lives. But only if its duly remembered and considered.

Finally as for showing the coverage this was training runs many of which were getting some spot coverage already on TSN.
Some of the training runs for events were already being televised and I believe live.
Does anybody know whether this run was carried by TSN from the start and before the accident. The tape of the entire run seems to indicate it might have already been aired.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:42 PM
OilerBoy888*

I think the footage should be shown as long as a warning is given to the viewing audience. There are more sick things on youtube than what we've seen and if we are given a chance to close our eyes, I can't see why not.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
That doesn't make it the right thing to do. In my opinion, it was highly unethical to show a man's death on national tv.
Well, children its estimated see 100's of depictions of death a week on "National TV" and 1000's more graphic depictions on video games.

All of which are apparently ok because they are not real. Which depending on how you look at it is even more of a disservice to a generation and producing potentially bulletproof thoughts and actions.

A real tragedy occurred. Children in this day and age are not naive to death in any way shape or form.

What purpose is served sheltering from something that our society doesn't shelter them from in anyway in anycase?

As far as adults if you can't handle this nature of depiction in current times I'm not sure how you've managed to stay so sheltered.

Old
02-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
I think people should have a choice to see it if the footage is available. If you take away the ability to choose, then you live in China, not Canada.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
I disagree, I don't see anything unethical about it. They show people dieing in wars, they show people dieing in Haiti, they show people killed in car accidents, they showed people on fire jumping out of the twin towers. Some of the most iconic and riviting imagines of the human experience are those that are the hardest to watch.

I think not showing these things does less justice to the persons involved.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Pennertration

I saw this on CTV last night and they did give a warning. I found the footage disturbing - and shocking - but it did provide context/information that was useful in understanding how the crash, and the fatality, occurred.

I did not like the fact that they showed footage of medical staff working on him afterward. I thought that was unnecessary and does nothing to add to the story.

Very tragic. After seeing the footage, I was left wondering why there wasn't some kind of wall or plexiglass erected in front of those beams (again, the video is useful in providing an understanding of what happened).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Jesus

It's not about sheltering the mass audience from seeing a person die it is about sheltering Nodar Kumaritashvili from having his death, the most private of all human affairs, being showcased all around the world.

We all keep our doors locked so as not to have random people going through our homes. No one wants millions of people to know what goes on in our daily lives. We all have secrets and private lives and, imo, a human death should be as intimate as possible and not broadcast to millions of people. That is why I am against watching REAL death in any way, shape, or form. It is not about sheltering myself from the realities of life but about paying respect to the person that is dying.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:52 PM
SlowFreshOil*

It's history documented on film. It happened. It's not the first time someone dying has been broadcast, and it won't be the last. In this, the information age, it had to be shown.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
It's not about sheltering the mass audience from seeing a person die it is about sheltering Nodar Kumaritashvili from having his death, the most private of all human affairs, being showcased all around the world.

We all keep our doors locked so as not to have random people going through our homes. No one wants millions of people to know what goes on in our daily lives. We all have secrets and private lives and, imo, a human death should be as intimate as possible and not broadcast to millions of people. That is why I am against watching REAL death in any way, shape, or form. It is not about sheltering myself from the realities of life but about paying respect to the person that is dying.
I get your point and dont disagree entirely. I wonder how the Kennedy family feels? It is a world event and it is world wide news. It is going to be shown, especially with technology being what it is today.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:30 PM
frag2

Quote:

This. I remember when I was younger, I heard about Owen Hart and his WWF/E accident where he plunged 50ft to his death on live TV and no news broadcast would dare to broadcast that back in the day.

Times have changed I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I get your point and dont disagree entirely. I wonder how the Kennedy family feels? It is a world event and it is world wide news. It is going to be shown, especially with technology being what it is today.
World event is one thing but to show the accident/death in its entirety, and the replaying of it every time the issue is brought up in sport recap shows, it is a little too much. I'm sure people are aware of the accident already and if they want to watch it, they can look it up on their own.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well, children its estimated see 100's of depictions of death a week on "National TV" and 1000's more graphic depictions on video games.

All of which are apparently ok because they are not real. Which depending on how you look at it is even more of a disservice to a generation and producing potentially bulletproof thoughts and actions.

A real tragedy occurred. Children in this day and age are not naive to death in any way shape or form.

What purpose is served sheltering from something that our society doesn't shelter them from in anyway in anycase?

As far as adults if you can't handle this nature of depiction in current times I'm not sure how you've managed to stay so sheltered.
I guess so. I mean I can see your POV, but I just feel that this is different than the news reporting a death/murder etc., or a graphic video game.

I guess this is part of the new media/information age culture on news. I guess I'm just old fashioned in what should be public consumption and what should not. I just thought it would have been terrible for that young man's family to see those images on all the networks.

Maybe a different comparable, but should Gloval and CTV start showing us all the footage from fatal car crashes they do? Pretty much the same thing in terms of the impact on the families of those killed.

I know there is an opinion/view point for all situations, I just feel it's not in line with my persoanl ethics which may be very different from the ethics of the media.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
czar99

Quote:
Thank you Jesus!!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I wanted to see the footage. TSN/CTV gave a warning about it's graphic and possibly disturbing nature, I watched it because I chose to, and I didn't find it the least disturbing.

You had ample time to close your eyes or walk out of the room. Anyone complaining about having that content been forced upon them, obviously wanted to see it and won't admit it now that they regret it.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Not sure which network they watched it on then because CTV/Sportnest/TSN gave a clear warning and explanation last night before showing the footage.

Perhaps other networks are showing it now without proper warning but when CTV showed it last night, they gave clear warnings.

Either way, it's a very disturbing video to watch. Very sad news.
When we first saw the accident, it was shortly after the accident happened. They gave a warning and at that time they said he had life-threathning injuries. The accident happened while we were watching the Torch Relay broadcast.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Andy Martin

I absolutely think it should have been shown given that a warning is given before showing it(which there was)

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

Quote:
I guess so. I mean I can see your POV, but I just feel that this is different than the news reporting a death/murder etc., or a graphic video game.

I guess this is part of the new media/information age culture on news. I guess I'm just old fashioned in what should be public consumption and what should not. I just thought it would have been terrible for that young man's family to see those images on all the networks.

Maybe a different comparable, but should Gloval and CTV start showing us all the footage from fatal car crashes they do? Pretty much the same thing in terms of the impact on the families of those killed.

I know there is an opinion/view point for all situations, I just feel it's not in line with my persoanl ethics which may be very different from the ethics of the media.
These are good and well expressed points as well regardless of whether we agree on them.

But ftr I'm not even sure I agree or disagree.

Just that its quite clear that the world, and MSM shifted to an all omniscient view years ago and with big brother programming ruling the airwaves.

Privacy died, innocence as well, but it did years if not decades ago.

So its not really so simple for TSN or any other broadcaster and they really are just going on clear precedent.

MSM shows deaths on National TV. Its been happening for 50 years or more.

So singling out TSN for criticism in this is unbased from that consensus perspective.

In anycase I appreciate the different views and kudos for expressing them well.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-13-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old
02-13-2010, 03:12 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

Bingo . Some of the "opinions" expressed in this thread are pitiful to say the least . I'm sure if that was your brother most of you would be having a different take on the situation .

And why did we need a second thread on this tragedy when there was already a four page thread going when this one got created ?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Bingo . Some of the "opinions" expressed in this thread are pitiful to say the least . I'm sure if that was your brother most of you would be having a different take on the situation .

And why did we need a second thread on this tragedy when there was already a four page thread going when this one got created ?
So if someone expresses a difference of opinion with you on this matter/didn't have an issue(or much of an issue) with it being shown given a proper warning, then they're pitiful?

I'll just agree to disagree.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote