HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nodar Kumaritashvili

View Poll Results: Should TSN/SPORTSNET have televized his death?
yes 57 42.86%
no 76 57.14%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2010, 04:21 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Bingo . Some of the "opinions" expressed in this thread are pitiful to say the least . I'm sure if that was your brother most of you would be having a different take on the situation .

And why did we need a second thread on this tragedy when there was already a four page thread going when this one got created ?
Because the other thread did not have a poll. I was very interested to see if people were for or against the televising of Nodars death.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Meanashell11

vCash: 500
So they have voted and you lost. Close this thread.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Well the next time someone gets murderd they should show half a head blowen off?
If it's newsworthy, definitely yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Neda_Agha-Soltan

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
you also didnt have to watch it when its aired. but here we have people seeking it out through some type of voyeurism to see if its "morally acceptable" then condemning it after. nice paradox. duh.
Agreed 100%...I haven't seen it, haven't googled or utubed it, and I do not intend to be a "rubbernecker" in the death of this young athlete. That is my choice

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:41 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
So they have voted and you lost. Close this thread.
Actually there still voting, my vote was NO so I'm winning(if you can call it that), and why do you keep coming back to this thread? If the mods feel it should be closed then they are free to do so. Come to think of it that would be a good poll.

Last edited by czar99: 02-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Cam98

i don't agree with what they did. it was very sad to see, just glad i don't got a weak stomache

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Ragss

I'm fine with it.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
So if someone expresses a difference of opinion with you on this matter/didn't have an issue(or much of an issue) with it being shown given a proper warning, then they're pitiful?

I'll just agree to disagree.
Typical liberal Canadian response . Twist the words to make them mean whatever you want , parading the death of a young man around the internet is disgusting voyeurism of the worst kind . Pretty ironic considering all the folks who had their panties in a bunch about the peeping tom on the other thread .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Should TSN/SPORTSNET have showen the footage of this young mans poor demise? I think not.

A black eye for Canadian broadcasting in my opinion.
Why not?

oilwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Typical liberal Canadian response . Twist the words to make them mean whatever you want , parading the death of a young man around the internet is disgusting voyeurism of the worst kind . Pretty ironic considering all the folks who had their panties in a bunch about the peeping tom on the other thread .

Bit of a difference between a sick mother****er(peeping tom) and showing a luge crash at the olympics(WITH A WARNING BEFOREHAND). Do you feel they shouldn't show auto crashes where the driver dies during a race on television either?

Edit:You must hate watching the six o clock news too, don't you? We live in a twenty-four hour news world and it was bound to get shown and it SHOULD be shown.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Bit of a difference between a sick mother****er(peeping tom) and showing a luge crash at the olympics(WITH A WARNING BEFOREHAND). Do you feel they shouldn't show auto crashes where the driver dies during a race on television either?
Sweet logic you've got working there . Ever stop to think that you might be the "sick mother ****er" in this scenario ?

Old
02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Sweet logic you've got working there . Ever stop to think that you might be the "sick mother ****er" in this scenario ?
Nope. Because I'm just watching the news, not invading someones privacy

Old
02-13-2010, 10:20 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Nope. Because I'm just watching the news, not invading someones privacy
So you know that Nodar didn't mind you watching the last few seconds of his life for entertainment ? You haven't invaded the privacy of his family either ?

Old
02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
So you know that Nodar didn't mind you watching the last few seconds of his life for entertainment ? You haven't invaded the privacy of his family either ?
Im sure if you respected his family like you say you do you wouldnt be participating in some internet chat site that is talking about it. But here you are....................

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Who said I watched it for entertainment? I watched it because it was newsworthy. If you're that opposed to something like this(and car crashes, anything from either war etc), why are you discussing it?

Old
02-13-2010, 10:27 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im sure if you respected his family like you say you do you wouldnt be participating in some internet chat site that is talking about it. But here you are....................
I'm just trying to keep the sick puppies like you in line .

Old
02-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I'm just trying to keep the sick puppies like you in line .
LoL. Seriously though. Thats why I am staying away from it now. You have a point. We should leave it alone imo.

Old
02-13-2010, 10:34 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Who said I watched it for entertainment? I watched it because it was newsworthy. If you're that opposed to something like this(and car crashes, anything from either war etc), why are you discussing it?
Dude put up a poll , mods let it stand , that means its open for discussion on the site . Follow ?

What you and liquor boy can't seem to understand is that I'm arguing that the man's privacy be respected . I know that if it was your brother dying on the side of a mountain you wouldn't be so quick to call it "newsworthy" .

Old
02-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Dude put up a poll , mods let it stand , that means its open for discussion on the site . Follow ?

What you and liquor boy can't seem to understand is that I'm arguing that the man's privacy be respected . I know that if it was your brother dying on the side of a mountain you wouldn't be so quick to call it "newsworthy" .
What you dont understand is that you are contributing to the problem. Now I am going to stop posting in here because I want to respect the young man and his family.

Old
02-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:

Isn't a reporters job to report the news of the day no matter how 'graphic' it is? THERE WAS A WARNING! No one put a gun to you or anyone elses head and forced you to watch it.

Sometimes in the news, things like these happen, it's not in bad taste to show it.

Old
02-13-2010, 10:41 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What you dont understand is that you are contributing to the problem.
How's that ? I'm not happy that the thread exists period , but if there is going to be a thread polling whether we should all get to watch a young man die then you can be damn sure I'm not going to let it be full of people saying they watched it because it was "newsworthy" or because "they wanted to see what happened" .

It was a personal tragedy that unfortunately played out in front of cameras . That doesn't give us the right to ogle . And I think you know it .

Old
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
How's that ? I'm not happy that the thread exists period , but if there is going to be a thread polling whether we should all get to watch a young man die then you can be damn sure I'm not going to let it be full of people saying they watched it because it was "newsworthy" or because "they wanted to see what happened" .

It was a personal tragedy that unfortunately played out in front of cameras . That doesn't give us the right to ogle . And I think you know it .
Personally I think the still photographs are worse than the video, but that's just me.

Edit:And now I'm done. You can't change people's minds on something like this.

Old
02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Personally I think the still photographs are worse than the video, but that's just me.

Edit:And now I'm done. You can't change people's minds on something like this.
Me too.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
MerryJ99

I voted no, but I still watched it when it came on the TV. The biggest reason I voted no is that I am a Mom and if that was my child it would kill me to watch it. I wish they had not shown the whole run in its entirety because that is what made it just that much more painful, I actually cried when I watched it, I also shed a tear while watching the opening ceremonies.

What bothers me the most is that watching his death doesn't bother some people, when people are seeking the video out to watch it, somehow it becomes wrong, but that I suppose is the world in which we live, like it or not.

But as some have posted what it does show is that this Luge Track is unsafe and that maybe instead of pushing sports so far to the extremes that it takes life away maybe this incident and his death will be for not and Safety will come first again instead of the need for adrenaline and the thrill of it all.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
I voted no, but I still watched it when it came on the TV. The biggest reason I voted no is that I am a Mom and if that was my child it would kill me to watch it. I wish they had not shown the whole run in its entirety because that is what made it just that much more painful, I actually cried when I watched it, I also shed a tear while watching the opening ceremonies.

What bothers me the most is that watching his death doesn't bother some people, when people are seeking the video out to watch it, somehow it becomes wrong, but that I suppose is the world in which we live, like it or not.

But as some have posted what it does show is that this Luge Track is unsafe and that maybe instead of pushing sports so far to the extremes that it takes life away maybe this incident and his death will be for not and Safety will come first again instead of the need for adrenaline and the thrill of it all.
We live in a world where we're bombarded with these images(death) all the time, be it through film, music, or every day life(the news). I guess I'm just desensitized to it all.