HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nodar Kumaritashvili

View Poll Results: Should TSN/SPORTSNET have televized his death?
yes 57 42.86%
no 76 57.14%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not necessarily the case as I stated earlier. He slammed right into one of the turns almost perpendicular and then went careening right across, perpendicular, to go off the track. Had there been the wall there he hits that and the earlier turn at full speed. Close to 100mph.

People that get thrown out of vehicles at this speed usually die. Add a fixed immovable object to the equation and its pretty much a given.

Primarily because all the G force would have been directed at the wall, not down.
I would assume one huge factor of this is that a person in a car goes through a windshield and isn't wearing a helmet(unlike Nodar).

Honestly does nobody here think that if those beams weren't there Nodar would still be living? My question I asked earlier is why are those beams even there. I'm not a track desigener nor engineer I'm am just asking because I honestly believe that if he was just launched out of the track and did notihng other than skid along the pavement and then into the snow Nodar would have been seriously injured but would probably still be living.

Two observations I make are:

The support polls are there holding up a roof, what is the purpose of this roof? Is it necessary?

Secondly, if the roof covering the track is necessary, why are the polls not built on the other side as that is a turn that is taken at a very high speed and I am sure we all know the basic theory of centrifical force.

Like I said I don't proclaim to be an engineer or a sliding track designer, but I think those are two fairly logical observations that I still haven't been able to find answers to.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
It really doesn't matter what is there when you get launched into the air like that. It wasn't the collision that was the issue, it was him being throw through the air. Whether you had a higher wall at that poing or spikes, it wouldn't have mattered in that situation.

You can't make something that will ease the impact when the human body gets launched like that. If anything, the issue is the speed and the turn leading up to when he got launched... those are the safety issues in question.
I think the point he is trying to make is that possibly with a retaining wall there yah sure he would have hit the rataining wall and it would have retaied him for as far as the wall went. Obviously nobody knows what the outcome would have been but, the observation is that hopefully the retaining wall works well and long enough to let gravity pull him back down and keep him inside the track where he would have just slid down the ice until the force of friction brings him to a stop.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
The difference of course is that Nodar choose to participate in an event that made parts of his life public, including his untimely death.
Really ? I could perhaps buy that argument if the tragedy had happened during an actual Olympic race that was being broadcast live around the world . This was a case of the media gratuitously broadcasting the death of a real person because they knew that a bloodthirsty public wanted to see it . Oh , and the fact that the deceased was an unknown from a "minor" country just made it that much easier .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote