Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
I think I have as many shootout goals as Kovy.
generally if we even got to him we were already up one so it doesn't really matter.

Old
02-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Well good game

Thanks for the nice treatment

Good luck in future, Hope you make playoffs and knockout the Caps in 1st round

Old
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
JA shoulda rewarded Marty and Kane. they couldnt have done any worse.

Pavs was great. albeit shaky at times.

'Giving up on him' is absurd. now i agree that he needs seasoning, heck it might take him 3 or 4 more years to really master the position, but he's going to get there. The problem is this team looks ready to go forward NOW, or at least in the next 2 years...can Pavs realistically grow that quickly?

if not, they MUST make a move for a goalie (Ellis or Rinne?) to bridge to Pavelec.

Old
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
why do we only have shootouts when kozzy is scratched.
because if Kozzy plays, we lose by 2.

The guys played hard tonight. Reasoner earned Bogosian's "A". Hell, give him Armstrong's "A" also. Although I loved seeing Hossa get lit up.

I didn't think we'd get any points this trip as we were playing against three of the best home teams in the league. If we were promised 4 of 6 pts. everyone would have been like: .

I'm proud of this crew. Nice to see Pavel K. talking to Kulda at the end. There is hope and optimism now.

Enjoy Olympic HOckey. Go to games in March!

Old
02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Robotic

Reasoner needs the "C". Always good but tonight he was amazing.

Bolts and Army dishing the pain. Wonder if Hossa is out for Olympics. BS that Army got a penalty for defending himself vs. Versteeg though.

Max with another good effort. Was worried after the Kovy trade.

Keep Kulda up the rest of the year.

Pevs needs to get back on track fast!

Bergie kind of invisible tonight.

Ondrej was good late but I'm still uncomforable. Bolland goal was weak.

Todd White is a sack of ****

Old
02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Definitely need upgrades over White, Kozlov, and Boulton. I'd keep Thorburn around over Bolts. Kulda needs to stay in the lineup.

Hindsight call of the night: TOBY--why the heck didn't you just rip a shot back on goal when you picked up your own rebound in the slot in OT?????? He had the top left side and had already scored one tonight! I wanted to see that put right back on net.

And Peverley is holding on to the puck waaaaaaaaaaay too long. He needs to shoot instead of trying to dangle. He ain't no Afinogenov.

Finally.....I wonder if whoever wrote down the shootout lineup for JA accidentally wrote Antro instead of Afi. ? He looked like total crapola on that one.

Old
02-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i was really happy with how we played tonight. if moose starts we win that game, but pavs played well. he will get over his over-committing issue and eventually gain some speed moving across the crease.

I LOVE Kulda and he needs to stay the rest of the year for sure. he seems to be translating his solid defensive game to the NHL quite well.

good to see that in the AK era we are still scoring at relatively the same rate.

we got 4 of 6 against 3 teams who rarely lose at home, and 6 of 6 was a real possibility.

i think we have a great shot to make a run at it with all the home games in march. we have some really tough games to close the season in April, so it is crucial we get into a playoff spot and build at least a few points cushion in march if we are going to make it.

NOBODY GET HURT IN THE OLYMPICS PLEASE

(and trade for Poni at the deadline DW)

Old
02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Robotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Finally.....I wonder if whoever wrote down the shootout lineup for JA accidentally wrote Antro instead of Afi. ? He looked like total crapola on that one.
Probably McConnell. Dumbass gets the two mixed up all the time even though they aren't on the same lines and don't play or look anything alike.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:37 AM
odgersfan83

I was pretty puzzled to see Antropov in the shootout tonight.

If you had told me on Wednesday morning that we were going to take 4 out of 6 on the road I would have been totally fine with that...and I still am.

I am very excited about the way this team is playing. No shame in losing to The Blackhawks.

I just hope management doesn't go crazy and trade Kubina when we're 2 points out of a playoff spot with 3 games in hand on Montreal.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:16 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I do realize Pavelec made some good saves, but he was all over the place and is TERRIBLE at staying square to the puck. I've never seen a goalie slide that far out of the crease (on his belly no less) this often. He can give up 4+ in the blink of an eye if he isn't getting lucky with the bounces. I guess I just can't stand his "style" or see it being successful long-term in the NHL for a goalie not named Hasek. The straw house finally collapsed on Tim Thomas this season for trying that crap, and Pavelec's illusion only lasted a month or so.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:58 AM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

I typed out a very long response to this, but the boards erased it. I'll be quick: Ondrej Pavelec is the reason his team earned a point tonight, not the reason they lost. He does need some work, as all young goalies do, but he's a stud. Other teams' fans see it, but for whatever reason, he's having a very hard time earning the respect of his own. He's unorthodox, to an extent, but so is Hedberg, and people want to make him goalie coach. There were a number of saves tonight that Pavelec made (especially the shot where he was screened and still managed to catch it) that I'm not sure Hedberg would, and it's because of how large he plays in his net. He faced 40 *quality* shots from one of the best offensive teams in the game, and turned aside all but four (and no one could've saved that Hossa goal. Give credit where it's due). He's going to be the darkhorse of the Olympics, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him steal some games for his country.

Most people who post on this board have never played goal, and have no idea what the position actually requires. Pavelec has the size, the athleticism, the mental fortitude, and most importantly, the work ethic, to be great. And he's given us no reason to think he won't be. He'll keep pace with the team's development, and may even wind up being this year's Ward/Varlamov. He's improving daily, and already this season he's gotten much better moving through the crease, staying upright, and using his glove to the high corner. He's 22. And he gives his club a chance to win games that, honestly, they shouldn't. Tonight's third period was a perfect example.

Overall, excellent road trip. The supposedly doomed club played two of the best home teams in the league and earned three points in back-to-back nights. Chicago is just sick. And to damn near beat them in their own barn (think we may have if Max shoots instead of Antro) is commendable.

Now, let's watch some Olympic hockey, and hopefully all of our boys come back injury-free, and ready to destroy that soft March schedule.

Old
02-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Lux Aurumque*

It's becoming increasingly obvious that, without Kovy, this team can really do some damage. As long as Enstrom and Kubina return from Vancouver healthy, we're gonna be in the playoff race right until the end.

Hello deja vu, welcome back from 2005-2006.

Old
02-14-2010, 10:21 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I do realize Pavelec made some good saves, but he was all over the place and is TERRIBLE at staying square to the puck. I've never seen a goalie slide that far out of the crease (on his belly no less) this often. He can give up 4+ in the blink of an eye if he isn't getting lucky with the bounces. I guess I just can't stand his "style" or see it being successful long-term in the NHL for a goalie not named Hasek. The straw house finally collapsed on Tim Thomas this season for trying that crap, and Pavelec's illusion only lasted a month or so.
See, I don't see much Hasek in the kid. Pavs needs to do more cartwheels, for that comparison. However, the more I watch Pavelec, the more he reminds me of this guy:

Old
02-14-2010, 11:49 AM
RoyalAir
Looks Better In Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
See, I don't see much Hasek in the kid. Pavs needs to do more cartwheels, for that comparison. However, the more I watch Pavelec, the more he reminds me of this guy:
I can certainly see Richter. But I see Hasek, too. Mike Richter was the only Ranger that I ever remotely liked.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:49 AM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i was really happy with how we played tonight. if moose starts we win that game, but pavs played well. he will get over his over-committing issue and eventually gain some speed moving across the crease.
Yup, it seems like we're giving away some games trying to get Pavs going. I realize Moose needs some rest though, but I wish our option 2 was a bit more consistent and better w/ rebound control.

That being said he's young and will develop into a serviceable goalie. I doubt he ever becomes the consistently great netminder that some people peg him to be, but he should be decent down the road and play with more consistency than he does now.

Old
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
GetPucksDeep

Pavs is better now than he was at the beginning of the year. Can't ask for much more than that. Have to be real happy getting 4 points in the last three games. The March schedule is heavily skewed to home games. Unfortunately, it's also skewed to contenders.

Old
02-14-2010, 05:37 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
The dive sequence at :55

oh man, he leaps at it and barely gets it anyway.

Also, this is all I need to know about Pavelec:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
He's 22.

The guy has probably just started to drink. He's young and still has some growing into.

Old
02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
en_fuego

I think Kari's start spoiled us a little. I think that's the case for me, at least. Kari came in and started out with 4 wins in 03-04. When he came back from injury in 05-06, he won the majority of his games - the only exception being the team's standard January losing streak. Kari had a lower GAA that year than Pavelec does now, even though he had the benefit of a stronger offense. And we all know Kari was gold in the shootout. Combine that with some other rookie goalies who've recently done really well in their first year, and Pavelec's weaknesses really stick out.

Pavelec can be disappointing and frustrating, but he's clearly talented, and it'd be a bad idea to give up on him before he even plays a full season. I know some people have expressed concern about Weekes' competence as a goalie coach - I don't know if that has any effect. The good thing is that Pavelec's been improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
The guy has probably just started to drink. He's young and still has some growing into.
Drinking alcohol? Who waits until they're 21 to start drinking? Nevermind the fact that he's European and an athlete. He certainly has some room to mature, but I doubt drinking is anything new to him.

Old
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_fuego View Post
I think Kari's start spoiled us a little. I think that's the case for me, at least. Kari came in and started out with 4 wins in 03-04. When he came back from injury in 05-06, he won the majority of his games - the only exception being the team's standard January losing streak. Kari had a lower GAA that year than Pavelec does now, even though he had the benefit of a stronger offense. And we all know Kari was gold in the shootout. Combine that with some other rookie goalies who've recently done really well in their first year, and Pavelec's weaknesses really stick out.

Pavelec can be disappointing and frustrating, but he's clearly talented, and it'd be a bad idea to give up on him before he even plays a full season. I know some people have expressed concern about Weekes' competence as a goalie coach - I don't know if that has any effect. The good thing is that Pavelec's been improving.
certainly pavelec doesn't have the sheer talent that a lot of young goalies like lehtonen possess so it's more of a learning curve. still if we are counting on him like we were lehtonen to carry us to the playoffs we're toast. i doubt hedberg will be as good next season as he has been this season. can pavelec grow up fast enough with the team or do we need to explore trading for a proven starter for a year?

Closed Thread