HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We also should go after one of the top dmen at the draft.

Old
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
We also should go after one of the top dmen at the draft.

I have been doing some reading on this year's draft. I am hoping that we finish 30th that way the worse we can draft is 2nd and still have one of Hall or Seguin. Looking at our dmen prospects, our best one seems to be Petry. I really think that we could use one of the top 3 dmen prospects in this years draft.

Fowler
Gudbranson
Gormley

They are all pretty big kids and sound like they will be a top 2 dman.
What would we have to give up to get any of the three?
Out of the three which one would you rather have?
Has anyone seen these kids play? How did they look?

I think that if we can get one of the fowards and one of these dmen it will really help our rebuild a lot quicker. I know it will take a bit for them to develop but for the long run it would be worth it.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:31 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

from what I have read all 3 d-men you mentioned are predicted to be gone by the end of the first round

but I agree that we need to consider adding another good D prospect

What I would not mind seeing is packaging say our second and either Omark or Cogliano to get another first round pick

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Semper Fidelis

Don't need a another first round pick for a dman.

Just draft well. Last years draft class looks really good. I hope they can make this years even better.

Semper Fidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgagner View Post
Don't need a another first round pick for a dman.

Just draft well. Last years draft class looks really good. I hope they can make this years even better.
Yes, but when you have 3 top dmen like this that could be with you for 10 years or longer doesnt it make sense to go after one.

Old
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
from what I have read all 3 d-men you mentioned are predicted to be gone by the end of the first round

but I agree that we need to consider adding another good D prospect

What I would not mind seeing is packaging say our second and either Omark or Cogliano to get another first round pick
From what I read all three should be gone in the top 10. I think for the future of our team and the rebuild we should really go after one of these 3.

Old
02-13-2010, 04:46 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
How about Adam Larsson next year instead?

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Was just about to mention Larsson. He's most likely going to go top 3 so it'd take back to back bottom 5 finishes...

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Forsburger

If we can somehow muster enough assets to get another first round pick and most likely a top 15 pick then I'd be all over it, however I'm not going to mortgage to much of the future for it

Forsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Mentioned it in your other thread. Deal one of Penner or Hemsky to New York for their first rounder.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Roof Daddy

Fowler would be the guy most worth a move up, but the cost is just too high, and thats IF teams are looking to move out of a top 5 pick. In recent years, what moves suggest the likelihood of that?

I hope Tambo gets off his ass and does something of significance that gains us an additional 1st rder (I, along with a number of Sabres fans like the idea of Vis for Stafford + pick - 1st or 2nd rder), but if an additional 1st is not acquired, I think at 31 we still get a shot at 1 of Tinordi, Mcilrath, Merrill or Petrovic. My personal fave of the bunch would be Mcilrath, but I'd be happy with any of them.

I would also like it if (in later rounds) the Oil went after that crazy Slovak kid from the WJC who McGuire kept comparing to Kasparaitus. Hrushka or something? The dude levelled Eberle, along with a dozen other people in the tourney. IMO it would serve the Oil much better to get tougher on the back end by taking BPA than to package multiple picks and players (think our 2nd this year and 1st next year + maybe Cogs for a shot at 3-5. Even thats debatable).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
Was just about to mention Larsson. He's most likely going to go top 3 so it'd take back to back bottom 5 finishes...
Depending on what the roster looks like, the burden of current contracts, and the lack of action from the GM, that's a distinct possibility.

I don't mean that negatively (well, maybe the GM part) as the team is finally officially rebuilding. As long as the team is giving the young players lots of opportunity and they make a solid effort of it every night then I'm down with it.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Roof Daddy

Petr Hrasko, that was the crazy Slovaks name. 4th/5th rder maybe?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Forsburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Petr Hrasko, that was the crazy Slovaks name. 4th/5th rder maybe?
GORD, HE WAS A MONSTER! WHAAAAMO! HE'S SUCH A BIG BODY PRESENCE WHO USES TIME AND SPACE, HE MAKES OTHERS AROUND HIM SUCK DIRTY POND WATER!

Old
02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsburger View Post
GORD, HE WAS A MONSTER! WHAAAAMO! HE'S SUCH A BIG BODY PRESENCE WHO USES TIME AND SPACE, HE MAKES OTHERS AROUND HIM SUCK DIRTY POND WATER!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=406336770555

greatest game ever invented

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Forsburger

Quote:
Ya man I've printed out the rules and got em posted right in front of me, makes university weeknights on campus much more fun

Old
02-13-2010, 07:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
This. The teams that end up with the top 3 picks are very likely going to hold onto them. And Fowler is really the only D this year with good number 1 potential. I'd far prefer to go for Larsson next year as I see him as better then Fowler anyways. And Musil is looking solid for another 2011 D as well.

Quote:
Or get TO's 2011 1st out of Boston in a deadline trade for a D and maybe a winger and hope TO wins the lottery next year.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Just as an aside... the obvious best time to go after 1st round draft picks of other teams is years in advance when they aren't as imminently valuable. When you are in the actual draft year and the optics are so much better teams overvalue their draft picks too much and you end up giving up equal or more than they are worth.

Teams final standings results forecast into the future are essentially random... which means you don't know where a team will finish 1, 2 or 3 seasons down the road so anytime you can grab a future 1st round pick from ANY team you have a potential lottery pick and a shot at a #1 overall pick which is like gold in this league.

Case in point the TO picks to Boston. In addition to their own picks they could essentially get 2 top 3 picks this year and next (and with some great luck they could actually get a #1 pick each year with lottery wins.)

Trying to get a high round draft pick this year from a lottery team is going to take a superb prospect or a solid veteran as all those teams have a shot at drafting a potential franchise player with their pick if they retain it. The risk/reward tradeoff is skewed too much to the teams holding the picks and against those trying to acquire them.

We need to be more like Boston... not a team trying to buy picks away from teams overcharging for them.

If we are going to shed veterans like Souray/Penner/Visnovsky/Hemsky and any other assets we feel are tradable for 1st round picks of other clubs they should be for 2011/2012/2013 picks so that we constantly have a stream of potentially solid draft picks which can be used to either draft more solid prospects or to trade away to teams that overvalue them and will overpay for them.

We've got to sell assets when we are being paid fair value or are overpaid for them (in the case of draft picks) and become constant acquirers of undervalued assets from others (future 1st and 2nd round draft picks).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I have been doing some reading on this year's draft. I am hoping that we finish 30th that way the worse we can draft is 2nd and still have one of Hall or Seguin. Looking at our dmen prospects, our best one seems to be Petry. I really think that we could use one of the top 3 dmen prospects in this years draft.

Fowler
Gudbranson
Gormley

They are all pretty big kids and sound like they will be a top 2 dman.
What would we have to give up to get any of the three?
Out of the three which one would you rather have?
Has anyone seen these kids play? How did they look?

I think that if we can get one of the fowards and one of these dmen it will really help our rebuild a lot quicker. I know it will take a bit for them to develop but for the long run it would be worth it.
Unless we get another top 10 pick via a trade we will NOT land one of them. There is no way we draft a dman with a top 2 pick. Tambi should be fired instantly if he does. Hall and Seguin are franchise forwards. If we don't get Hall or Seguin then it has to be Kabanov.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:05 AM
MAGICMAN1963

From an outsiders prespective,,the future looks good for you guys.
Hall or Seguin,,,,,MPS,,Eberle,,Ganger,,,thats not bad at all.Cheers

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:14 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Just as an aside... the obvious best time to go after 1st round draft picks of other teams is years in advance when they aren't as imminently valuable. When you are in the actual draft year and the optics are so much better teams overvalue their draft picks too much and you end up giving up equal or more than they are worth.

Teams final standings results forecast into the future are essentially random... which means you don't know where a team will finish 1, 2 or 3 seasons down the road so anytime you can grab a future 1st round pick from ANY team you have a potential lottery pick and a shot at a #1 overall pick which is like gold in this league.

Case in point the TO picks to Boston. In addition to their own picks they could essentially get 2 top 3 picks this year and next (and with some great luck they could actually get a #1 pick each year with lottery wins.)

Trying to get a high round draft pick this year from a lottery team is going to take a superb prospect or a solid veteran as all those teams have a shot at drafting a potential franchise player with their pick if they retain it. The risk/reward tradeoff is skewed too much to the teams holding the picks and against those trying to acquire them.

We need to be more like Boston... not a team trying to buy picks away from teams overcharging for them.

If we are going to shed veterans like Souray/Penner/Visnovsky/Hemsky and any other assets we feel are tradable for 1st round picks of other clubs they should be for 2011/2012/2013 picks so that we constantly have a stream of potentially solid draft picks which can be used to either draft more solid prospects or to trade away to teams that overvalue them and will overpay for them.

We've got to sell assets when we are being paid fair value or are overpaid for them (in the case of draft picks) and become constant acquirers of undervalued assets from others (future 1st and 2nd round draft picks).
I agree. I think the ship has sailed on the top picks this year. This draft class is looking not too bad, at least the top 10. You will need to overpay for this year's high picks. We should be looking at acquiring 1st rounders for next year, or the year after, even. We could possibly look at getting next year's 1st pick (TOR) from Boston, as they will be buyers at the trade deadline, and would still have their own pick.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Fiddie

Stephen Johns
Height 6.03 -- Weight 220
Johns is another one of the impressive defenders from the US Under 18 Team this year. He has very good all around skills and could be the most NHL ready defenseman out of the group of NTDP blue-liners this season. Johns plays a solid defensive game and uses his size to aid his physical game, but his offensive potential is probably pretty limited at the next level. Johns recently committed to the University of Notre Dame, but it will be interesting to see if he actually lands there as his OHL rights are held by the Windsor Spitfires, who are no strangers to plucking NCAA talent. If Johns does wind up in South Bend, he should be a very effective defenseman as a true freshman as he continues to work on his overall game.

Dylan McIlrath
Height 6.05 -- Weight 215
Itís often rare to find a defenseman who plays with such a nasty edge to their game, but also can play a solid all around game as well. Dylan McIlrath is a perfect example of this, and his value could come at a premium as a result. Regarded as one of the most physical players in the WHL and arguably the top fighter in the league, even as a 17 year old, McIlrath is also a very steady defenseman who logs heavy minutes with the Warriors. With Travis Hamonic being dealt to the Brandon Wheat Kings, McIlrath will have even more of an opportunity to play in all situations heading down the stretch

One of which should be available with the 31st pick.

Fiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:24 AM
DousedInOil

If were looking to draft a defenceman with our 2nd round pick I wouldn't mind looking at Troy Rutowski. He is a local kid and has had a very impressive year in the WHL.

Another guy that might be worth a look is Geoffrey Schemitsch. He has some solid stats for a rookie this year.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 02-15-2010 at 03:33 AM.
DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Game 8

Quote:
Very good idea!!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
Stephen Johns
Height 6.03 -- Weight 220
Johns is another one of the impressive defenders from the US Under 18 Team this year. He has very good all around skills and could be the most NHL ready defenseman out of the group of NTDP blue-liners this season. Johns plays a solid defensive game and uses his size to aid his physical game, but his offensive potential is probably pretty limited at the next level. Johns recently committed to the University of Notre Dame, but it will be interesting to see if he actually lands there as his OHL rights are held by the Windsor Spitfires, who are no strangers to plucking NCAA talent. If Johns does wind up in South Bend, he should be a very effective defenseman as a true freshman as he continues to work on his overall game.

Dylan McIlrath
Height 6.05 -- Weight 215
Itís often rare to find a defenseman who plays with such a nasty edge to their game, but also can play a solid all around game as well. Dylan McIlrath is a perfect example of this, and his value could come at a premium as a result. Regarded as one of the most physical players in the WHL and arguably the top fighter in the league, even as a 17 year old, McIlrath is also a very steady defenseman who logs heavy minutes with the Warriors. With Travis Hamonic being dealt to the Brandon Wheat Kings, McIlrath will have even more of an opportunity to play in all situations heading down the stretch

One of which should be available with the 31st pick.
Option #2 would look like a win!!! We may need another low first rounder to make sure though...

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
i have a feeling .. oilking pysyk will be around in 2nd round.. i dont see a team selectinng him in the 1st round..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote