HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I got a new Triggerman:Easton S19

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
  #1
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
I got a new Triggerman:Easton S19

I just bought it, really like the look/feel of the stick. I'll be testing her out in an about 2 hours.


Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
  #2
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Congratulations on the purchase! What flex and curve did you get?

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
  #3
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
How much you drop for that twig?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:39 AM
  #4
McMonster
Registered User
 
McMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
just ordered one too... paid $245...

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:54 AM
  #5
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
God, I hate marketing hype. It's not going to outshoot the x-60 or have better puck feel than U+CL, 10k etc. It's also far heavier than it's competitors and who knows if durability will really be much better than the s17. I'm just tired of Easton's overpricing and under-delivering.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:42 AM
  #6
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
God, I hate marketing hype. It's not going to outshoot the x-60 or have better puck feel than U+CL, 10k etc. It's also far heavier than it's competitors and who knows if durability will really be much better than the s17. I'm just tired of Easton's overpricing and under-delivering.
Funny you say that, because Easton is still the most popular stick in the NHL, and one of the least hyped. You're jsut buying into Bauer and CCM's hype.

The 10k is virtually unused in the NHL- most of the pro stocks are something else. CL breaks like crazy. I'll give the X:60 credit though, Bauer has been challenging easton for top dog in sticks lately.

Heavy? Perhaps. Easton has been emphasizing balance over weight with the S19 and SE16. They added weight from the S17, and it's now much more durable according to most reports.

All the companies hype their sticks. They're big sellers. The X:60 has had more hype then any other stick I can think of recently, I can't understand while you're singling out easton.

And LaserShot- Canadian or US dollars?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:10 AM
  #7
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Funny you say that, because Easton is still the most popular stick in the NHL, and one of the least hyped. You're jsut buying into Bauer and CCM's hype.

The 10k is virtually unused in the NHL- most of the pro stocks are something else. CL breaks like crazy. I'll give the X:60 credit though, Bauer has been challenging easton for top dog in sticks lately.

Heavy? Perhaps. Easton has been emphasizing balance over weight with the S19 and SE16. They added weight from the S17, and it's now much more durable according to most reports.

All the companies hype their sticks. They're big sellers. The X:60 has had more hype then any other stick I can think of recently, I can't understand while you're singling out easton.

And LaserShot- Canadian or US dollars?
I understand what you're saying and I'd like to agree but I've yet to see any NHL'ers using anything remotely resembling a retail s19. 90% of them are SE16s or ST's repainted. A few are completely custom stealths. Easton's only real durable stick is the ST. What about the ST? It's almost the same now as when it came out 7 years ago, really heavy and heavier sticks are more durable, not a revelation. The one95 is still pretty darn popular at the NHL level, and while the x-60 came out too early and has had problems up the wazoo, Bauer has still made big strides.

Warrior has gained a lot of traction with players. The RBK pro stock 10k and 808 models are moderately popular as well. I totally agree on one thing though, the CL is not durable at all.


Last edited by BadHammy*: 02-14-2010 at 07:58 AM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:41 AM
  #8
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
I have never been happy with a bauer stick other then the XXX and XXX Lite. The SE16 and S17 are sticks I would take over any Bauer stick except for maybe that lite. I got the X60 and liked it for two days. Then I realized it was garbage. When all my SE16's brake, I'm going to tryout a 10k because I heard the puck feel and balance is amazing.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:27 AM
  #9
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
God, I hate marketing hype. It's not going to outshoot the x-60 or have better puck feel than U+CL, 10k etc. It's also far heavier than it's competitors and who knows if durability will really be much better than the s17. I'm just tired of Easton's overpricing and under-delivering.
I'd beg to differ, several NHLers do not like the X:60-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1459476/

Kessel went from a Bauer X:60 stick to one made by Easton, believed to be an S19, for the game Jan. 29 against the Devils, and has scored five goals and eight points in his past four games.

I personally haven't bought many $240 sticks lately (more of a shinny player) but Philadelphia-area hockey writer Dustin Leed says he's an equipment nut and offered his thoughts on why so many players, like Kessel, are moving over.

"Bauer sticks just break too easily. Easton's are just better," Leed said in an email. "Lighter and a lot more durable.

Oh yeah, and FWIW I've own three Easton Sticks now. My previous primary stick was/still is a Easton S9. Had it for 3 years, it's gone through a lot of abuse and hasn't snapped yet. I also had a Easton Z-Flex two-piece, that I had for almost 7 years, it only broke when an opposing player fell on it.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
  #10
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Congratulations on the purchase! What flex and curve did you get?
The Lie is a 5.5 and the Flex is a Sakic 65. I did some reading around people suggested going with the looser flex because of the torsional stiffness by the bladed portion of the stick.

FWIW, I love the stick. I considered the Reebok 10k, never really considered the X:60 or U+ stick. Heard different things about them.

As for playing with the stick, I am definitely getting more torque on my shots and passing seems more accurate. The feedback I am getting on from the puck onto my blade is excellent also.

Also, I don't consider the stick to be heavy at all. Personally I'd rather have a well-balanced, durable stick than just purely a light one.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:34 AM
  #11
Tojo
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
I bought a stafford prostock S19 for ~$90 about 3 months ago and it is the best stick I have ever used. I picked up a buddy's x60 and it was comparable but i definitely prefer the s19's feel.

Tojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
  #12
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Funny you say that, because Easton is still the most popular stick in the NHL, and one of the least hyped. You're jsut buying into Bauer and CCM's hype.

The 10k is virtually unused in the NHL- most of the pro stocks are something else. CL breaks like crazy. I'll give the X:60 credit though, Bauer has been challenging easton for top dog in sticks lately.

Heavy? Perhaps. Easton has been emphasizing balance over weight with the S19 and SE16. They added weight from the S17, and it's now much more durable according to most reports.

All the companies hype their sticks. They're big sellers. The X:60 has had more hype then any other stick I can think of recently, I can't understand while you're singling out easton.

And LaserShot- Canadian or US dollars?
Lets hope that's Canadian. That's insane money for a hockey stick.

I've always liked Easton sticks but never used anything other than their shafts because of durability issues with the blade. I had pretty good luck with limited number of Bauer sticks I've used...just don't have a pattern I really like.

I really wish these companies would make a stick for the common folk, like something that tops out at a $139 US. Something with a good combination of balance, feel, and durability. I'm surprised Easton doesn't do this see how good they are at offering this sort of thing in other areas.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:56 AM
  #13
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Whoever wrote for that article doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. The x-60 was rushed out, just like the s17 was two years ago, and durability problems are the result. However the one95 is a great mix of performance and durability. So about 50% if NHL players are using Easton huh? That number was 65% 2 seasons ago. I've had a ridiculous number of pro stocks, and nobody is using anything close to a retail model on any of the recent sticks except for the one95 and some of the Warriors.

Easton can sell their elliptical taper all they want, but nobody in the pros is using it. The reason Eastons sticks are suddenly "durable" is because so many of them are ST repaints. But again, we shouldn't confuse pro stock with retail, some of them are completely different from the inside out. Is the s19 going to be nice for you? Sure, but there's simply no way it's going to blow away my 10k on wrist shots, one95 on slap shots or my CNT in puck-feel and durability.


Last edited by BadHammy*: 02-14-2010 at 11:02 AM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:01 AM
  #14
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
quite a few guys in the NHL are using the S19 with the elliptical taper. Also, most pro stock sticks are going to be different than retail.

I used it and I'm a fan. True, not crazy durable, but it performs very well. Much better then the U+ CL, 10k, and 8.0.8.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:07 AM
  #15
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Whoever wrote for that article doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. The x-60 was rushed out, just like the s17 was two years ago, and durability problems are the result. However the one95 is a great mix of performance and durability. So about 50% if NHL players are using Easton huh? That number was 65% 2 seasons ago. I've had a ridiculous number of pro stocks, and nobody is using anything close to a retail model on any of the recent sticks except for the one95 and some of the Warriors.

Easton can sell their elliptical taper all they want, but nobody in the pros is using it. The reason Eastons sticks are suddenly "durable" is because so many of them are ST repaints. But again, we shouldn't confuse pro stock with retail, some of them are completely different from the inside out. Is the s19 going to be nice for you? Sure, but there's simply no way it's going to blow away my 10k on wrist shots, one95 on slap shots or my CNT in puck-feel and durability.

Looking at the amount of Bauer sticks you see watching a game one has to think the writer was misinformed. Plus, I doubt Bauer has to pay any more just to use their sticks.

Easton and Bauer look to be 1a and 1b right now. I'm not in the rooms so I'm going by what I see on the tube.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:27 AM
  #16
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Whoever wrote for that article doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. The x-60 was rushed out, just like the s17 was two years ago, and durability problems are the result. However the one95 is a great mix of performance and durability. So about 50% if NHL players are using Easton huh? That number was 65% 2 seasons ago. I've had a ridiculous number of pro stocks, and nobody is using anything close to a retail model on any of the recent sticks except for the one95 and some of the Warriors.

Easton can sell their elliptical taper all they want, but nobody in the pros is using it. The reason Eastons sticks are suddenly "durable" is because so many of them are ST repaints. But again, we shouldn't confuse pro stock with retail, some of them are completely different from the inside out. Is the s19 going to be nice for you? Sure, but there's simply no way it's going to blow away my 10k on wrist shots, one95 on slap shots or my CNT in puck-feel and durability.
What curve are you using on your 10k? The only retail curve I like on it is Spezza's so I'm most likely gonig to go with a pro stock.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
  #17
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
What curve are you using on your 10k? The only retail curve I like on it is Spezza's so I'm most likely gonig to go with a pro stock.
The retail and pro stock are MILES apart. Get the retail!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:41 AM
  #18
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
When I say pro stock, I don't necessarily meen a Spezza pro stock lol.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:59 AM
  #19
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Whoever wrote for that article doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. The x-60 was rushed out, just like the s17 was two years ago, and durability problems are the result. However the one95 is a great mix of performance and durability. So about 50% if NHL players are using Easton huh? That number was 65% 2 seasons ago. I've had a ridiculous number of pro stocks, and nobody is using anything close to a retail model on any of the recent sticks except for the one95 and some of the Warriors.

Easton can sell their elliptical taper all they want, but nobody in the pros is using it. The reason Eastons sticks are suddenly "durable" is because so many of them are ST repaints. But again, we shouldn't confuse pro stock with retail, some of them are completely different from the inside out. Is the s19 going to be nice for you? Sure, but there's simply no way it's going to blow away my 10k on wrist shots, one95 on slap shots or my CNT in puck-feel and durability.
You've got to be kidding right? A repainted Easton ST? LOL. Not even close to the same thing in looks, how it's put together or anything much else except by other than who makes it.

Not even close to the same weight: 510 grams for the ST and 473 for the S19.

So you don't like Easton sticks. We get that. The Bauer sticks have not been liked by many NHL players.

I personally think you should do some playing around with the Easton S19 before you go bashing it.

For comparisons sake:




If you want to compare sticks, the S17 is a closer fit to the S19 than the ST is.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
  #20
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Anyone who says that pros don't like Bauer sticks clearly don't watch much hockey.

One95 perhaps?

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:58 PM
  #21
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
For the record, the CNT was one of my favorite sticks ever. And, Brent, you have no idea, so I'm not going to waste my time telling you things I'm not supposed to anyway The only thing I will say is that few, if any, pro ST sticks are above 490-ish grams. Easton just tells people what they want them to believe. They've stopped driving the innovation market and are now playing catch up in regards to durability, it's clear they've lost a step. CCM/RBK has really taken it up a notch in the last 2 years and Bauer has as well. In another 2 years, I figure Easton will be down to 40% in the NHL. From 65 to 40 in 4 years is a pretty damn major fall. They need to get back to creating good, new ideas instead of charging more and more for marginal sticks.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:59 PM
  #22
Webernaut
 
Webernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Figured I would chime in a bit here. Friend of mine is back room guy for the Lightning and he gave me some insight on this. The stick most used by Lightning players is a pro stock One95. Can't remember the exact number in my head but it's over half of the team. Two or three guys use pro stock X60s. The biggest surprise to me is the stick that St. Louis uses which is an old custom Easton Synergy hence the bright yellow color. Also, Foster (canon slap shot) uses a custom Sherwood and switches to an Easton SE16 sometimes.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:44 PM
  #23
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
For the record, the CNT was one of my favorite sticks ever. And, Brent, you have no idea, so I'm not going to waste my time telling you things I'm not supposed to anyway The only thing I will say is that few, if any, pro ST sticks are above 490-ish grams. Easton just tells people what they want them to believe. They've stopped driving the innovation market and are now playing catch up in regards to durability, it's clear they've lost a step. CCM/RBK has really taken it up a notch in the last 2 years and Bauer has as well. In another 2 years, I figure Easton will be down to 40% in the NHL. From 65 to 40 in 4 years is a pretty damn major fall. They need to get back to creating good, new ideas instead of charging more and more for marginal sticks.
The reviewer from Hockeyus said that the non-grip version weighed in at 460 grams. The grip model was 465 grams. And, he weighs them himself before reviewing.

Highly believable. It's not a heavy stick by any means.

I don't quite get where you're coming off with the anti-S19 attitude. Or the implication that Easton is behind the curve(no pun intended), or lies about it's products but so far I don't believe much of what you're saying.

You can FF the clip to 4:06-4:17 and see what he says about his weighed results:

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
  #24
Lososaurus
Registered User
 
Lososaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Whoever wrote for that article doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. The x-60 was rushed out, just like the s17 was two years ago, and durability problems are the result. However the one95 is a great mix of performance and durability. So about 50% if NHL players are using Easton huh? That number was 65% 2 seasons ago. I've had a ridiculous number of pro stocks, and nobody is using anything close to a retail model on any of the recent sticks except for the one95 and some of the Warriors.

Easton can sell their elliptical taper all they want, but nobody in the pros is using it. The reason Eastons sticks are suddenly "durable" is because so many of them are ST repaints. But again, we shouldn't confuse pro stock with retail, some of them are completely different from the inside out. Is the s19 going to be nice for you? Sure, but there's simply no way it's going to blow away my 10k on wrist shots, one95 on slap shots or my CNT in puck-feel and durability.
What's wrong with the ST?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:01 PM
  #25
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
What's wrong with the ST?
Nothing's wrong with it, but it's about 7 years old now and still their only really durable stick that isn't filled with fiberglass. C'mon Easton, get with it! Where are the days of the CNT Stealth, Green ST and Silver Synergy when they lead the industry? They're charging enough $$$ for these sticks to at least put new tech into them or the NHL level technology that is supposedly better than their retail...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.