HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Entitlement Issue: Andrew Cogliano

Old
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
GSC

vCash: 500
The Entitlement Issue: Andrew Cogliano

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...544/story.html

I'm sure this article was mentioned somewhere, but I feel that it merits full discussion because it's one of the Oilers' biggest problems right now.

Cogs seems hell-bent on the idea that he is a scorer at this level, that he is top-6 material. That's fine, because maybe he is. But when Matheson asked him if he would change his game to become more of a Todd Marchant type in order to prolong his NHL career, this is what Andrew had to say: "Maybe when I'm older, if my career doesn't take the path I want it to take." Does that make anyone else's blood absolutely boil? That's the same attitude that Rob Schremp has, and everyone hated it.

What I see here is not an isolated issue, however. I see this as an epidemic amongst hockey players in my generation. I've seen it since high school. I've played with too many players to name at several levels, and the attitudes and sense of entitlement have gotten worse and worse every year.

The best example I can offer: I came back to my hometown for Christmas and spent about 4 weeks helping out at practises with my old high school team. If I mentioned ANYTHING about being a good defensive player or a solid checker to a player with some skill, their attitude immediately became defensive and they made excuses for their play rather than displaying a willingness to be complete.

I saw it as a player in recent years with guys in their late teens and early 20's...guys like Andrew Cogliano who think that their past performance entitles them to a spot on the 1st line or that their past success should translate to the next level. It's a tired ass excuse, and I have no idea where this generation of players got it from. It's a total unwillingness to learn as a player, to grow and to do what is necessary to be complete.

I don't know for sure, but I do think that a lot of it has to do with the ogling over superstars who seemingly do it all on skill alone without fundamentals (which is hardly the case), and these kids coming to see that as the way to play hockey. I learned from good coaches that without mastering the basis, you were jacksh*t as a player and jacksh*t as a teammate. Not to mention, I realized my limitations as a player and learned to excel at other aspects to make myself the best player possible. It got me pretty damned far. Players now a days don't seem to want to do that, to swallow their pride.

I guess I'm just an old school 24 year old...

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Pucklington

A 2 time 18 goal scorer having a tough season. I like the fact he is still confident that he can be a goal scorer. Hopefully we retain him after this season, and he can bounce back.

Pucklington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
A 2 time 18 goal scorer having a tough season. I like the fact he is still confident that he can be a goal scorer. Hopefully we retain him after this season, and he can bounce back.
Confident? I call it being stubborn and having a false sense of entitlement, thinking that nothing is wrong with his game when clearly it is...otherwise he wouldn't be seeing so much of the bench.

Old
02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Confident? I call it being stubborn and having a false sense of entitlement, thinking that nothing is wrong with his game when clearly it is...otherwise he wouldn't be seeing so much of the bench.
False sense of entitlement? Thinking you can be good enough to play on the top lines is different is different than thinking you deserve to.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
False sense of entitlement? Thinking you can be good enough to play on the top lines is different is different than thinking you deserve to.
That's just it, I think he feels that he deserves to.

Again, just my opinion and it's taken in light of what I've seen and heard from the last few years. Take it with a grain of salt if you must

Old
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Hopefully they don't retain him, and he will be gone for something in return they could REALLY use.

Least favourite player on the hockey team, and if the Oilers want any shot at turning this trainwreck around, Cogs is one of those guys that will have to go. The team and organization has only themselves to blame for this predicament as well, because he is infact a halfway decent player with more potential to fulfill, but he has no business being in this team's future.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

I don't see any "entitlement" in that article from Cogs, more a heavy handed piece from JM essentially stating "you'll never been a scorer, accept your fate" with Cogs stating he feels he can still develop into an offensive threat in the NHL despite his struggles.

At no point does he say he deserves a top six role in the NHL or that he is above a checking role in the NHL, just that his goal is to become an impact player if he can.

Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
"Everybody knew their role. It wasn't like, 'Tonight, we'll put that guy on the power play.' It never happened. Two power-play units pushed each other and two penalty-killing units did the same."
Anyone else think that could be a small dig at Mact and his system of PP reward time?

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...544/story.html

I'm sure this article was mentioned somewhere, but I feel that it merits full discussion because it's one of the Oilers' biggest problems right now.

Cogs seems hell-bent on the idea that he is a scorer at this level, that he is top-6 material. That's fine, because maybe he is. But when Matheson asked him if he would change his game to become more of a Todd Marchant type in order to prolong his NHL career, this is what Andrew had to say: "Maybe when I'm older, if my career doesn't take the path I want it to take." Does that make anyone else's blood absolutely boil? That's the same attitude that Rob Schremp has, and everyone hated it.
Maybe we just take it differently. But I do not see him saying that he will not try to improve defensively and excel at that part of the game. He likely just means that he does not feel ready to do ONLY that role this early in his career. He has shown signs of being a guy that can put up points at this level. I mean if he had been JFJ and went 0 points for 50 or 60 games then I could see more of what you are getting at.

I think he is afraid of being pigeon holed so early in his career as only a defensive guy. Not to mention I am sure he realizes he has a ways to go in that area. I mean I did not see where he said I refuse to play in on the 3rd line or in the bottom six. Because quite frankly the last two seasons that is where he has probably spent the lions share of his time.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Cogs is also the only one of the three that had been involved in the failed Heatley trade that's actually been struggling this season.

02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
OilerNut*

People on here are always looking for a reason to hate Cogliano, I don't really understand why.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Put Cogs on a line with MPS and Byfuglien(via trade) and he will shine.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Maybe we just take it differently. But I do not see him saying that he will not try to improve defensively and excel at that part of the game. He likely just means that he does not feel ready to do ONLY that role this early in his career. He has shown signs of being a guy that can put up points at this level. I mean if he had been JFJ and went 0 points for 50 or 60 games then I could see more of what you are getting at.

I think he is afraid of being pigeon holed so early in his career as only a defensive guy. Not to mention I am sure he realizes he has a ways to go in that area. I mean I did not see where he said I refuse to play in on the 3rd line or in the bottom six. Because quite frankly the last two seasons that is where he has probably spent the lions share of his time.
All valid points, and maybe that is the case...we'll see what happens.

Old
02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
Put Cogs on a line with MPS and Byfuglien(via trade) and he will shine.
not sure how you arrived at Byfuglien being the perfect compliment to the two speedsters, but I agree with you on waiting to see MPS and Cogs paired together. Perhaps with (and I know people will laugh at the suggestion, but we're stuck with him anyway) Horcoff. If he can re-configure his game over the summer, he's one of the few who could keep up with the other two in terms of skating.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

My brief synopsis:

Cogliano doesn't have a clue.

The following quote is revealing:

Quote:
"I almost scored 20 goals my first two years where I didn't have a major role." said Cogliano. "I've always put up numbers. And if I hadn't put up any in my first year, then maybe I'd be really worried. Maybe I'd switch my game ... for me, it's a matter of sticking with the mindset I can be a top-six player."
This is the talk of a player who thinks he's a whole lot better than he is. The above reads more like he figures he's had a string of bad luck and he's still a 20 goal scorer even though the player on the ice is rarely dangerous and not creating offense.

What is Cogliano entirely missing in the above quote?

That when he broke into the league he wasn't receiving any significant marking. A lot of rookies can make some noise early on. It means virtually nothing putting it up against air. But when you start to get noted and covered and you can't produce....

Well you can't produce.

Cogs should be flattered to be compared to a useful bright player like Marchant that can play a solid all round game.

Cogs doesn't have the head for it.

This guy is the dullest pencil on the club and thats saying a lot.

One of the worst things that happened to Cogs is having the degree of success he had early as a pretty ordinary player. When you get that without having to persevere and work hard for it there can be some significant interference in the growth of the player and his skillsets.

This even happened to Ryan Smyth who scored 39 goals as a 19 yr old then spent some time making adjustments because he needed to. He had to find different ways to be a threat.

The mark of a top 6 player is how he responds to marking.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-13-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
When I think of entitlement and the Oilers, Cogliano's name is way down the list. The guy has played with donkeys for two years now. No complaining as far as I know. The guy is young and putting in his time on the scrub lines while he waits for his chance at the top two lines.

Just because a reporter tries to stereotype him as a career plugger doesnt mean he should have to agree with a stupid assessment of him.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My brief synopsis:

Cogliano doesn't have a clue.

The following quote is revealing:

This is the talk of a player who thinks he's a whole lot better than he is. The above reads more like he figures he's had a string of bad luck and he's still a 20 goal scorer even though the player on the ice is rarely dangerous and not creating offense.

What is Cogliano entirely missing in the above quote?

That when he broke into the league he wasn't receiving any significant marking. A lot of rookies can make some noise early on. It means virtually nothing putting it up against air. But when you start to get noted and covered and you can't produce....

Well you can't produce.

Cogs should be flattered to be compared to a useful bright player like Marchant that can play a solid all round game.

Cogs doesn't have the head for it.

This guy is the dullest pencil on the club and thats saying a lot.

One of the worst things that happened to Cogs is having the degree of success he had early as a pretty ordinary player. When you get that without having to persevere and work hard for it there can be some significant interference in the growth of the player and his skillsets.

This even happened to Ryan Smyth who scored 39 goals as a 19 yr old then spent some time making adjustments because he needed to. He had to find different ways to be a threat.

The mark of a top 6 player is how he responds to marking.
I agree with this 100%. I couldn't have said it any better.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Beerfish

LOL....entitlement. People can talk about Cogs and his entitlement after the cycle through the 5 or 6 crap vets that have had entitlement handed to them for years.

Horcoff and Moreau who are as close to garbage this year as you can get and they are still trotted out each and every game. In horcoffs case the guy has had entitle minutes for the last 3 years or so.

Cogliano produces with almost no pp time, stuck on the 3rd line with dregs like Moreau and thinks he could be a top 6 guy. I tend to agree with the player.

I swear the mindset of oiler fans finding a year lighting rod and thinking the player can do no right when we have the likes of Horcoff wasting ice time, pp time and most of the last two year 1st line minutes.

Last year it was Penner, this year Cogliano. We want to run a 22 year old player that can skate like the wind has scored in the past and is a 3 year pro out of town.

Mindboggling.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
PrinceEdwardOiler

If it had of been a coach instead of a reporter asking him to change his role, then I could see a problem with that.

PrinceEdwardOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
not sure how you arrived at Byfuglien being the perfect compliment to the two speedsters, but I agree with you on waiting to see MPS and Cogs paired together. Perhaps with (and I know people will laugh at the suggestion, but we're stuck with him anyway) Horcoff. If he can re-configure his game over the summer, he's one of the few who could keep up with the other two in terms of skating.
I put Byfuglien because he is a big body, can hit, and has a big shot. Plus we could use another power forward on our top six.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Stoneman89

When I saw the title of this thread, i thought it was about Horcoff, Staois or Moreau. Shocked to think Cogliano is entitled to anything. I don't see any foolish expectations on his part. If you can't shoot for the moon and try to be the very best you can, why bother playing at this level. I see nothing wrong with him, never heard him complain once, at least in public, and always works his arse off. Maybe not getting the results he and all of us would like, but I like the way he competes and tries to improve.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Philly85
Raps'

He may be a good player, but he's a career 2nd liner at best, I don't understand why people want to keep this kid around when he's clearly prime tradebait who can get the Oilers something else they need, whether its in a package for something bigger, or for a valuable component for their bottom 6, or even a defenseman.

With Eberle and MPS coming up through the ranks, and a guy like Brule already on the team, there is no point for Cogliano to be here long term. Truth.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:41 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
He may be a good player, but he's a career 2nd liner at best, I don't understand why people want to keep this kid around when he's clearly prime tradebait who can get the Oilers something else they need, either in a package for something bigger, or a valuable component for their bottom 6, or even a defenseman.

With Eberle and MPS coming up through the ranks, and a guy like Brule already on the team, there is no point for Cogliano to be here long term. Truth.
This. When you can package something you don't need for something you do need, you do it 10 times out of 10.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
He may be a good player, but he's a career 2nd liner at best, I don't understand why people want to keep this kid around when he's clearly prime tradebait who can get the Oilers something else they need, whether its in a package for something bigger, or for a valuable component for their bottom 6, or even a defenseman.

Agreed and no need for Nilsson either.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
OILW30

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
This. When you can package something you don't need for something you do need, you do it 10 times out of 10.
100% of the time, it works every time.

OILW30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:00 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Dont see the upside of getting rid of Cogliano. Unless we want to trade him and watch him take off ala Shremp. He is young, talented, and cheap. At best you trade him and hope for a return that somehow is equal to what you are giving up. Its just a really bad idea.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote