HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Entitlement Issue: Andrew Cogliano

Old
02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm amazed how much people on the board are going solely on +/-.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Replacement but i gotta call you out on this....Didn't you make a mention earlier in this thread that Cogliano was a -2 the other night (Post #112), just sayin....
Well its not saying much.

Commenting on one specific game sample and 8mins is not demonstrative or statistically viable in the first place due to it being an extremely limited sample size.

Statistically I kind of thought that was a given, that commenting on one game data sets is more comment than analysis..

Therefore the comment.

On the other hand if people are evaluating the entire season play of a player they should be using better and more exhaustive data than +/-.
i.e. when evaluating larger data sets that are statistically viable maybe use data that is.

Hopefully people understand the distinction.

ps even given the above coaches do tend to evaluate on such parameters as who's out on the ice for GA repeatedly in limited minutes even if it is unscientific. Its something that gets noticed. When a player thats been struggling all season offensively is having GA then as a coach you wonder why the player might be out there at all.
Which is what fed my comment about the unlikelihood that a coach would award more minutes in that situation.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well its not saying much.

Commenting on one specific game sample and 8mins is not demonstrative or statistically viable in the first place due to it being an extremely limited sample size.

Statistically I kind of thought that was a given, that commenting on one game data sets is more comment than analysis..

Therefore the comment.

On the other hand if people are evaluating the entire season play of a player they should be using better and more exhaustive data than +/-.
i.e. when evaluating larger data sets that are statistically viable maybe use data that is.

Hopefully people understand the distinction.

Granted but honestly, if O'Sullivan was a -2 in that game, would you have pointed out that that's the reason why he didn't get more icetime?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Granted but honestly, if O'Sullivan was a -2 in that game, would you have pointed out that that's the reason why he didn't get more icetime?
Better question.

Statistically its improbable that I would point it out.

Although in a perfect world I should be expected to.

Yes I have biases. I admit it.

j/k aside I think Sully has much more upside as an all round player and I feel he thinks the game better than Cogs.

Unfortunately in hockey available data sets and analysis are more limited than I would need them to be to really evaluate a statement like the above.

But given that the stats are lacking compared to the complexity of hockey i do what most do without realizing and honestly acknowledging and I pick favorites.

We all do it, even subconsciously.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Better question.

Statistically its improbable that I would point it out.

Although in a perfect world I should be expected to.

Yes I have biases. I admit it.

j/k aside I think Sully has much more upside as an all round player and I feel he thinks the game better than Cogs.
Unfortunately in hockey available data sets and analysis are more limited than I would need them to be to really evaluate a statement like the above.

But given that the stats are lacking compared to the complexity of hockey i do what most do without realizing and honestly acknowledging and I pick favorites.

This i agree with, O'Sullivan definitely has better playmaking skills and sees the ice a whole lot better than Cogliano does but keep in mind that Cogs is 2 years younger than Sully and he could develop a better feel for the game as he matures.
Cogliano's speed is just breathtaking, it would be a shame if he doesn't pan out for us, i know that he's a whole lot better than this.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Master Lok

Quote:

Careful Replacement - you're treading the line for the anti-bloggers and corsi-haters.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote