HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 7 "Legitimate" Excuses Why We Are Down

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 05:35 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
We're losing because we're playing badly, and that's that. No excuses, we're getting beaten fair and square. If the boys would stop making costly errors and played with more intensity like the Boston series, then we would have a good chance of winning. Theodore obviously did his job tonight but the rest of the team didn't.
We were losing because we weren't attacking their D. When we did that in the second period, they were helpless. We can beat this team. If not us, someone else will. They are not that good... Khabibulin is though...

Old
04-26-2004, 11:32 AM
jcpenny

We are playing bad, no question but Tampa is one heck of a team.

Old
04-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Guy!

7) Similar Styles-- I don't see it at all. Tampa plays an open, flowing style of play (see - flying Frenchman of the 70's) and the Habs employ a version of the trap (see - New Jersey of the 90's). The fact that the Habs have some speed and can counter is nice, and the fact that Tampa has the ability to drop into a trap to maintain a lead is well and good, but the standard styles applied by both teams are as far apart as you can get in hockey.

6) The Refs-- Bad calls, missed calls, and non-calls go both ways in the playoffs. There's plenty of reason for Tampa to be thinking it got gipped a few times as well. There's no excuse worse than this one, and if you keep this up, I'll have to label you a closet Leaf fan, since this is the excuse they use continually.

5) The Florida Curse--True. And yet, this is the playoffs and teams are supposed to rise above situations like this. Perhaps the players are awed by all the lack of snow down there, but when it comes around to playoff time, that should mean about as much as buying a ticket for a lottery means. Pretty much butkas.

4) Tampa Bay fans--Isn't this the same thing that was said about Boston fans? Who cares about the fans? The only thing I can say about them is that there are a few more classless ones who have frequented the boards than we saw in the Boston series. Other than that, the ones we see are as knowledgeable as any hockey fans elsewhere. That some of those who go to the games might not know hockey to the same depth as the 65-year old Montreal fan who hasn't missed a game in 45 years is nigh on irrelevant.

Now, as for those ridiculous banging things, I agree, I hate 'em. But as has been pointed out, they're just about everywhere. And quite honestly they're infinitely better than the foghorn painfulness of the CFL horns. Those things should be illegal.

3) Reliance on Theodore-- While you could say that at other times of the year or in years gone by, the word 'hardly' comes to mind. He played one good game of the two, was so-so in the Boston series, and hasn't been nearly as good as he was two years ago. The reliance, I think, is being put on the first line to produce. The second line has given nothing these playoffs, and if the first is countered, as it has thus far by the Taylor line, then someone else has to put the biscuit in the basket. There's far too much pressure on that first line and no one else showing up offensively save perhaps Ryder.

Where's that young Ribeiro chap who led the Habs during the season? He, like that cheap tent that folds, has pulled a collective no-show for the playoffs. Remember Mike8's thread about how well Ribs would do as the season progressed and into the playoffs? We're seeing an answer that probably many didn't expect and most dreaded.

2) The Ice-- No matter how many times a Tampa fan tries to tell you that they were rated top-five in the league, feel free to giggle. Even their coach does. On the other hand, with the Habs playing a more skilled team, the crap ice *should* actually benefit the Habs more. It's an equalization factor that we completely failed to take advantage of. Their skilled players have far less chance of making the skilled plays that a flat sheet of ice offers.

There was a rumour early this season that, when highly skilled opposing teams came to Montreal to play, Gainey would go to the ice makers to ensure the ice was crap. Whether that's a true rumour or not doesn't really make a difference, the thing that matter is that the rumour exsisted at all - it's proof positive that pundits believe crap ice is an evening-up factor.

To the original point: the ice in Tampa was atrocious. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't looking.

1) Tampa Bay's style-- I absolutely love Tampa's style of play and I can pretty much guarantee you that so does Gainey and Montreal will be working their way towards it. The fans want to see firewagon hockey and Tampa plays it. I applaud that club for ditching the trap crap and going with a flowing style of play - at least this series is enjoyable for that; not like watching Montreal and New Jersey where calling it a snoozefest is being kind.

As for comments that Tampa has "one or two gifted kids", well perhaps that's loosely true. St.Louis and Lecavalier are gifted. But they also have another group of highly skilled players - much better than average. And I've yet to see a cherry-picking play. You can look at the Lecavalier goal and say he must have been except Rivet was ostensibly behind him nine times out of ten. That Rivet pinched quickly was more a function of the time left in the period than anything else.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, Franchise, I'm just pointing out that there's a fair amount of 'sour grapes' going on when in reality it's Montreal that's screwing the pooch out there. You do make some good points, and in some respects, arguments can be made for each of the once stated which could be considered reality. However, I think if you take emotion out of it, take a step back from the playoffs and look at it as a neutral observer, you'd see that no amount of excuse-making makes those two games any different.

Now, there's been comments, equally naive, by some Tampa fans that have disturbed me somewhat. Someone had the nerve to say that Montreal failed to adapt to the Tampa style of game. Perhaps that poster neglected to watch the second period of game two when Tampa barely made it out of their own end for long stretches. I submit to you that Montreal did make the adaptations, it was a lack of execution on the ice that failed the Habs. One has to wonder what that third would have been like had the sails not been burned at the stake by Souray's bo-bo at the end of the second.

I'm not saying Montreal's goign to roar back and win this series, all I'm saying is that watching blindly and making blanket statements like "they failed to adapt" is whimsical and incorrect. When Montreal plays to potential as they did in the second - and with a game plan that's obviously effective - they can at least give the Bolts a good run for their money.

A Concerned Fan

Old
04-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
1) Tampa Bay's style-- I absolutely love Tampa's style of play and I can pretty much guarantee you that so does Gainey and Montreal will be working their way towards it. The fans want to see firewagon hockey and Tampa plays it. I applaud that club for ditching the trap crap and going with a flowing style of play - at least this series is enjoyable for that; not like watching Montreal and New Jersey where calling it a snoozefest is being kind.
On the other hand... that Philly-Toronto game was awesomely exciting and high-tempo last night too. I can see Gainey dreaming that he could put together a team more like Philadelphia than the firewagon Bolts. But since our player pool seems to be best-suited to the TB style...

Anyway, I'm on that firewagon bandwagon with ya.

Quote:
And I've yet to see a cherry-picking play. You can look at the Lecavalier goal and say he must have been except Rivet was ostensibly behind him nine times out of ten. That Rivet pinched quickly was more a function of the time left in the period than anything else.
Moreso in Game 1 than in Game 2, I will have to say that St.Louis actually was cherry-picking a few times. Not that it's a big deal, since the Bolts were ready to run it up on our sleepy team, and it could only have made our defense even more scared. But he was doing big loops to sneak behind our D at times when the puck was in the TB half of the ice and they didn't have it. Technically, that's "cherry-picking". It seems to have some kind of derogatory connotation. But to heck with that, if I had a firewagon team and I was pretty confident my guys could get the puck and turn it around fast in their own zone, I'd have my Art Ross speedy scorer making some threatening feints behind their D too. Since when is trying to spring a guy for a breakaway a bad thing? See how far we've sunk in these days of defense-first hockey?

But you didn't see him doing it in Game 2 when the Bolts went into a "safer" mode of play. In short, the team just knows when and where to employ certain tactics, and more power to them for it. If we weren't so overwhelmed in our own zone most times, maybe we could do some "cherry-picking" from the back of our firewagon too.

Old
04-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Darz

Bottom line is the habs are down two games to none.

Game 1, we would of lost if the ref's were Bob Gainey and George Gilette and we were playing on the smoothest, best ice ever created with only hab fans in attendance against the worst team in the Germany woman's pro league.

WE SUCKED!! We came out flat footed and played the game with very little intensity. The Lightning came out of the gate a little lame themselves, but unlike the habs they got their s*&t together during the game where we didn't. After the first period, I thoigh that neither team deserved the win.

Game 2, was a different story. The habs came flying out of the gate looking like they had something to prove. It reminded me of how the Bruns came out of the gate in game 7. The biggest problem (similiar to the Bruins) was a lack of disipline cost them early, and when it looked like they had recovered from the early game mistakes, a missed puck cost them HUGE!!! Allowing a goal with just seconds left to put yourself down by two can usually fold up a team, but give the habs credit they continued to battle.

I really hope game 3, the guys can comwe out and play a smart, intense 60 minutes of hockey, becuase if they do, I beleive we have a good chance of cutting the deficit in half.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

Old
04-26-2004, 02:21 PM
jcpenny

We've shot ourselves in the foot by starting the game 5 on 3 with usesless penalties. We can beat tampa but to do so we need to be on them for 60 mins. Markov has to start on the powerplay, souray is simply not doing the job. We need to forecheck their defense cuz we simply cant wait for them to attack us everytime.

Old
04-26-2004, 02:27 PM
mcphee

I thought the Habs biggest problem in the first 2 games was the Lightning. We played a poor first game and I thought a good second game. They were better. We can try diifferent things and maybe we can be better than them next game. To think that the outcome is solely determined by the Montreal Canadiens is pretty shortsighted. I've had no problem with the officiating as far as one team getting the nod over the other. The TB crowd seemed enthusiastic and seemed to be having fun. I think the B's fans criticized Mtl. fans for chanting Raycroft or singing soccer songs, I don't see a problem. BTW, those annoying thundersticks were given to me at 3 Montreal sports events in the last couple of years. Call TB's style what you want, if it produces more goals than the opposition, it's a good style.

As far as ice goes, shortly after moving to the then Molson Centre, its' ice was considered amogst the worst in the league. Steps were taken to improve it and it's no longer the case. TB"s ice will be discussed to death now.

I agree with Darz and RTL, we have to pressure their D, they can be beaten low. They are susceptible to the type of behind the net passes that they excel at it. to do that we have to get the puck in their zone with forecheckers moving their feet. We do have to give credit to TB for idntifying how to beat the Habs and executing it.

My only complaint withe Bolt fans is that aren't enough of them, it's hard to discuss the game alone. Their board isn't that busy. I expect that to change though.

Old
04-26-2004, 02:48 PM
jcpenny

Why are we talking about the ice? TB was the better team period. I tought after the first game and the first period yesterday that they were simply too strong for us but the second period showed us that we can compete with this team. Let's hope that Ward we'll be ready to go tomorrow to give us a more balanced line up and that our crowd helps us during our two games.

Closed Thread