vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Slava Kozlov

what's the deal with him? Is he done?

Old
02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
flerd_trandle

He played poorly all season, so he's not been dressed. I'm not sure if he has a future with this franchise considering the new direction.

Old
02-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i think he's finally lost it. he had a nice rebound last season but it's over for him. just doesn't have the speed, at least not with this team. i hope he doesn't latch on somewhere next season, i'd like for him to go out with us.

Old
02-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Robotic

No future with the Thrash. UFA after this season, and since he's in JA's doghouse + playing terrible his trade value is next to nothing. Very sad to see him end like this since he's been good with this team for so long and really wanted to be here.

KHL looks to be his future.

Old
02-14-2010, 01:10 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
No future with the Thrash. UFA after this season, and since he's in JA's doghouse + playing terrible his trade value is next to nothing. Very sad to see him end like this since he's been good with this team for so long and really wanted to be here.

KHL looks to be his future.
He would be too proud for that, plus the Russian national team has snubbed him since the mid-90s for no reason... I doubt he is too eager to return for extended periods. I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that he had gotten most of his family to move to Florida over the years. It's a terrible, inappropriate end to an amazing career for one of my 3 favorite players of all time.

Hopefully he can sign on somewhere else next season, a la Bondra

Old
02-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Juneemoon

I would like to see him retire after this season and stay on with the Thrashers in some kind of player development role. He's always been a good influence on the young guys, teaching them how to be professional athletes.

Old
02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Hockey Biltong

Kozzies years have been even, odd, even, odd in terms of productivity. It appears his speed and stick finesse have dropped considerably. He has always been in fantastic shape, but his powerplay efforts have beenless than desirable at this juncture. I would like to see him go out on a high note, and perhaps there is a place for him on the coachingside of the bench. I feel the same about Hedburg.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:14 AM
GetPucksDeep

He's about to turn 38. He should retire with his dignity intact. He has a lot to be proud of in an extraordinary career.

Old
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
He would be too proud for that, plus the Russian national team has snubbed him since the mid-90s for no reason... I doubt he is too eager to return for extended periods. I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that he had gotten most of his family to move to Florida over the years. It's a terrible, inappropriate end to an amazing career for one of my 3 favorite players of all time.

Hopefully he can sign on somewhere else next season, a la Bondra
He's been snubbed because he has been utterly uncoachable everywhere he's been. Even Detroit.

Even when the guy has played extremely well, he's doing everything his own way.

Good r i d d a n c e.

Old
02-15-2010, 06:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'm thinking discussion is going on over the break about waiving his clause and where he'd like to finish his career. He's going to have to weigh his love for Atlanta with sitting as a scratch to finish the career. At this point, I'd trade him for that future considerations guy.

Old
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Magnus Fulgur

I'll never forgive him for playing hurt for a whole season and not letting on about it - the result was having a dreadful year which let the team down and fouled up the lines and team chemistry.

But it's all about you, Mr. Professor!

Old
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
brownvm

Kozlov and 2nd Rounder for Turco?

Dallas owner is in a place where he needs to pinch pennies. Few teams are going to be willing and able to fit Turco under the cap without sending an even amount of money back in the trade.

Does he improve our goalie situation? Assuming Kozlov waives his NMC, is this a feasible offer for both sides? Given the small pool of teams that will be bidding on Turco, would this land him?

Old
02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownvm View Post
Kozlov and 2nd Rounder for Turco?

Dallas owner is in a place where he needs to pinch pennies. Few teams are going to be willing and able to fit Turco under the cap without sending an even amount of money back in the trade.

Does he improve our goalie situation? Assuming Kozlov waives his NMC, is this a feasible offer for both sides? Given the small pool of teams that will be bidding on Turco, would this land him?
No thanks, Turco takes "Cuckoo for Coco puffs" to a whole 'nother level.

Old
02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
KevFist
is best pony

See, I'd disagree. Turco's not a bad goalie. I think a change of scenery would do him wonders.

Old
02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
brownvm

His stats, even in a down year, are, basically, equal to Hedberg's...

After a forgettable January, he's allowed 7 goals in 6 games so far in February.

That said, given his recent great play, will a 2nd rounder alone even get him?

Last edited by brownvm: 02-15-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old
02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
See, I'd disagree. Turco's not a bad goalie. I think a change of scenery would do him wonders.
True, sometimes a change of scenery can help a lot......but I wouldn't mind going Brion instead maybe. A little cheaper, and I think he could put up similar stats. Plus I think he is a little more level headed. The team just moved a goalie who had his own "quirks." I am not so sure they are going to rush right out to get another one.

With all that said, I have had Turco in fantasy leagues several times and had mixed results, more good than bad...yes. I wouldn't be upset if the team went in that direction, but I would rather they didn't

Old
02-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownvm View Post
His stats, even in a down year, are, basically, equal to Hedberg's...

After a forgettable January, he's allowed 7 goals in 6 games so far in January.

That said, given his recent great play, will a 2nd rounder alone even get him?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think you made a slight mistake there.

Old
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
brownvm

Ha, thanks. Fixed.

Old
02-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
I'll never forgive him for playing hurt for a whole season and not letting on about it - the result was having a dreadful year which let the team down and fouled up the lines and team chemistry.

But it's all about you, Mr. Professor!
You hate everything about the Thrashers. Every little thing, I have yet to see you post something positive. Regardless of his injury season, He's been very good for us.

I hope he gets a chance at a cup this year, And finishes strong.

Old
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Magnus Fulgur

True, I have posted mostly negative things, because I've been posting about Kovalchuk and Kozlov. I don't like either of those guys, and think they've been a crippling influence on the character of the team - on the ability of the team to compete and win on a regular basis. I'm done with that. I think the team is done with that too, thankfully. So on with positive posts about the teams future with Enstrom, Pevs, Kane et. al. I just needed to rant about Kozlov one more time. I truly think the guy is a sullen and miserable and I'm sorry that I'm sounding that way in turn for my dislike of him.

I've written recently that I'm excited to see this post-Kovalchuk team for the playoff run and beyond, and I'm fine with it if we don't make the playoffs.

The only guys on the team I'm not crazy about right now are White and Afinogenov. Everyone else I like or I'm a big fan of. I'm even finally coming around to liking Anderson now that I've seen that he simply couldn't coach a team with Kozlov and Kovalchuk. Now he can coach.

I got roasted as a "fan boy" apologist of the team on the Official Board. Sorry I went too far the other way here.

Old
02-16-2010, 05:13 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I'm sure you are a nice enough person, so here's a debate rebuttal, not an attack.

Afinogenov is now our leading scorer and works his butt off during his shifts. He may lack the size to knock people off the puck in the defensive end, but at least you can see him down below the circles.

I have no problem with him and I will take a moment to defend Slava Kozlov. I've got no idea what is really behind Slava, but the fact that you claimed to blame him for playing hurt doesn't say to me that the team "didn't know it" and they quite possibly did try to patch him together and get him out there because of the lack of talent elsewhere.

Remember: Savard came back early from ankle surgery, Stefan constantly played with concussions and abdominal muscle injury. Kari (and other goalies), Kovy, Hainsey, Rucchin, Sutton, Bogosian all played with injuries at one time or another and weren't productive during the stretches. No way the team "didn't know" about all of them.

Slava has always had positive or neutral comments about what was going on. I've never seen or heard him say anything negative since he came here. And, no Russians are "bubbly" except Ovechkin in the media, so I really can't expect him to be a cheerleader. Remember, he took it upon himself to quietly try to help Heatley and he didn't want anyone to know it.

Slava was not part of the locker room problems of the past. Look at Heatley, Ferarro, Savard, Mellanby, Holik, Havelid, Lehtonen, Hossa, Williams, and even Exelby for that. Slava stayed through it all. He could have walked to a successful Dallas team, or could have been cut loose.....just like all the rest of the locker room plagues and politicians.

Ya, the team never jelled with Kovalchuk and I have no problem moving him. This team needs an identity more than a star right now. Maybe some day he returns when the time is right, who knows. But to blame Slava????? That's just way off base.

Slava's problem on the surface is that he is slower than he once was. Both hands and feet. Not anything else. It happens. Athletes hit a wall. You should not be smearing him on the boards because you have no proof and you have no reason except personal opinion.

In your opinion, you don't like his play, I agree that his play is not matching the system and he is not shooting on the PP, or even looking to shoot, but to get into "off the ice" accusations, please don't.

Slava's will be the first jersey raised to the rafters here IMO.

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 02-16-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old
02-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
I have no problem with him and I will take a moment to defend Slava Kozlov. I've got no idea what is really behind Slava, but the fact that you claimed to blame him for playing hurt doesn't say to me that the team "didn't know it" and they quite possibly did try to patch him together and get him out there because of the lack of talent elsewhere.

Remember: Savard came back early from ankle surgery, Stefan constantly played with concussions and abdominal muscle injury. Kari (and other goalies), Kovy, Hainsey, Rucchin, Sutton, Bogosian all played with injuries at one time or another and weren't productive during the stretches. No way the team "didn't know" about all of them.

Slava has always had positive or neutral comments about what was going on. I've never seen or heard him say anything negative since he came here. And, no Russians are "bubbly" except Ovechkin in the media, so I really can't expect him to be a cheerleader. Remember, he took it upon himself to quietly try to help Heatley and he didn't want anyone to know it.

Slava was not part of the locker room problems of the past. Look at Heatley, Ferarro, Savard, Mellanby, Holik, Havelid, Lehtonen, Hossa, Williams, and even Exelby for that. Slava stayed through it all. He could have walked to a successful Dallas team, or could have been cut loose.....just like all the rest of the locker room plagues and politicians.

Ya, the team never jelled with Kovalchuk and I have no problem moving him. This team needs an identity more than a star right now. Maybe some day he returns when the time is right, who knows. But to blame Slava????? That's just way off base.

Slava's problem on the surface is that he is slower than he once was. Both hands and feet. Not anything else. It happens. Athletes hit a wall. You should not be smearing him on the boards because you have no proof and you have no reason except personal opinion.

In your opinion, you don't like his play, I agree that his play is not matching the system and he is not shooting on the PP, or even looking to shoot, but to get into "off the ice" accusations, please don't.

Agree with all of the above, except for the last comment. Kozzy was a good contributor but certainly hasn't done that much to the organisation to have his jersey retired.

I am a big believer that you need to be a very good player and have a long tenure (10 years?) at the club to have your jersey retired.

At the moment Kovalchuk is probably the player closest to having his jersey retired down the track despite just falling short of 8 years with the Thrashers. But given he was a geniuine superstar (which Kozlov isn't) I would make an exception if Kovalchuk never plays a game for Atlanta again.

Old
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
I'm sure you are a nice enough person, so here's a debate rebuttal, not an attack.

Afinogenov is now our leading scorer and works his butt off during his shifts. He may lack the size to knock people off the puck in the defensive end, but at least you can see him down below the circles.

Good points.
I like Afinogenov - his effort, his hustle, and he plays with some toughness...I'm not crazy about him because of all of his panicky no look passes. There's no point in him breaking into the zone and then just throwing it away.

As for Slava's shoulder injury, I agree that this organization has always let guys play hurt or come back early to either save a buck or just negligence. I'll throw in the goalie debacle of 2005-6 on top of the list that you've correctly compiled. Still, there was an element of this injury that was completely different. Nobody had any idea, and I think Slava just hid it. Perhaps he's been hurt this year too. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However, he has played a few great spirited games here and there this season (while White has not) so what's the deal???

I'm not expecting guys to be bubbly...I'm looking at things like in the past watching Hartley trying out Hossa/Holik/Kozlov as a line in practice and Kozlov just not talking to anybody. Not working with anybody. Hossa and Holik yapping to each other and trying to engage Kozlov and Kozlov not even looking at them. Just doing his own thing, and if he doesn't like it, he drags his heels. He's always been like that for us and elsewhere. He's the most miserable guy I've ever seen on the ice. Even Zinoviev when he was briefly in Boston and Providence and hating it was engaging with his teammates on the ice.

Kozlov's probably a great guy even to his team mates off the ice (and there is plenty of evidence of that)...but it's the way he acts on the ice that I really dislike.

Old
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Good points.
Nobody had any idea, and I think Slava just hid it. Perhaps he's been hurt this year too. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However, he has played a few great spirited games here and there this season (while White has not) so what's the deal???

I'm not expecting guys to be bubbly...I'm looking at things like in the past watching Hartley trying out Hossa/Holik/Kozlov as a line in practice and Kozlov just not talking to anybody. Not working with anybody. Hossa and Holik yapping to each other and trying to engage Kozlov and Kozlov not even looking at them. Just doing his own thing, and if he doesn't like it, he drags his heels. He's always been like that for us and elsewhere. He's the most miserable guy I've ever seen on the ice. Even Zinoviev when he was briefly in Boston and Providence and hating it was engaging with his teammates.

1) This is the way to communicate on the board and I'm glad it's driven on opinion and not immature name calling! Well done!

2) The team trainers, doctors and coaches are much more able to tell what's up with players than any fans. Teams "hide" info on injuries all the time. We all know that. There is NO WAY he hid an injury from the trainers. Ingar would find it immediately and by contract would have to report it, I'm sure.

And, if you are going to be pissed at Slava (maybe the team felt he had to play because wasn't that the same season that Rucchin went down and really messed us up from Colorado on?) I guess you must REALLY hate Bogo for playing a month with a bad wrist and watching our record plummet during that time? Was it him? or was it the organization??? Can a 19 yr. old kid really hide an injury from a professional training staff or did the team hide it?

I'm angry at the coaches and GM for allowing anyone to play more than one game if they look like garbage due to injury.

3) Slava has actually always been one of the more animated guys in Atlanta during practice. He has been the goodhearted butt of jokes (silly string antics at start of this year) and he is always playing games with the goalies and defensemen in practice. He has only played for Detroit, Buffalo and Atlanta. Buffalo was during the Ted Nolan years and since Slava wasn't in the mold of a Hanson Brother, he was moved in the trade that brought him here. Obviously, Buffalo got sick of Nolan's game as has the entire NHL.

Just because he wasn't "yukking it up" with 2 older veterans that didn't help pull the team together, well...sometimes it's best to just shut up and play. Maybe he thought the other 2 were acting like little girls? No one meshed with those guys and you sure didn't want to waste Bryan Little with them did you? Slava has been a good foot soldier and always has done what he's told to the best of his talent. His age has caught him. He won't be traded because no one has come calling. He was shrewd enough to grab an extra year out of Waddell. His agent did his job. He needs to retire with dignity at the end of the season.

I think a little back step and reassessment is due here. I know Waddell values the "atmosphere and character" in the room almost to a fault. It's telling in who is offered contracts and who has been moved out or hasn't been chased. Kovalchuk is the first guy Waddell really "lost." He never expected to keep Hossa or Savard or Brunette or Staios or Ferraro. And none of those guys ever said anything nice about Atlanta afterwards. We were all excited when Kozlov picked another 2 years here instead of DAllas. Yes, we all were, lol.

Also, the only reason I think Kozzy's jersey will go up is that he's been here 7 years and will retire before Kovalchuk and the franchise needs to establish a "ring of honor" if you will. He's it until Kovy retires.

OOPS! last comment...I may have goofed....I'd retire Kozzy and MOOOOOOOSE at the same time to begin the "Ring of Honor"

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 02-16-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: After further review....
Old
02-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Magnus Fulgur

There were plenty of rumblings that Bogosian was playing hurt, and Eliot said that the team knew about it and tried to keep it quiet so that nobody would target the injured wrist.

We were scratching Salmela while Bogosian was hurt. Kulda was doing great in Chicago while Bogosian was hurt.

I don't trust how coaching and management use the information they are given by the trainers. The trainers may be the best in the league, but that's not being translated into the product on the ice.

Closed Thread