HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs will be buyer at trade deadline and will finish 9th...

Old
02-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
So, what you're saying is that it's guaranteed they'll win their games in hand ?
They don't have to. All they need is more points. And unfortunately, there are a few teams with higher points percentage and it's not just one that we're chasing.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
They don't have to. All they need is more points. And unfortunately, there are a few teams with higher points percentage and it's not just one that we're chasing.
Yup, most of the ones ahead of us have a better win% and/or a better pts %...

below ?
TB : they'll have to rely on keeping the same pace as far as OT loss goes cause they're really not winning much...
NYR : they're about the same as us as far as pts % goes - and we all know Gaborik is playing the Olympics injured... (like he'll have an injury free season right?)
ATL : anyone wants to bet they'll keep the same pace now that Kovalchuk is gone ?

and none of theses three teams will have the equivalent of a full offensive line (Cam. Pouliot, AK) coming back before the end of the season...

anyway, anyone with half a brain knows theses % means nothing... none of the teams listed are good enough for us to predict they'll do better/worse or keep their pace...

so yeah, we're done!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Yup, most of the ones ahead of us have a better win% and/or a better pts %...
Most? All of them do.
Quote:
below ?
TB : they'll have to rely on keeping the same pace as far as OT loss goes cause they're really not winning much...
NYR : they're about the same as us as far as pts % goes - and we all know Gaborik is playing the Olympics injured... (like he'll have an injury free season right?)
ATL : anyone wants to bet they'll keep the same pace now that Kovalchuk is gone ?
That's fine. They're still ahead of us in Pts %.
Quote:
and none of theses three teams will have the equivalent of a full offensive line (Cam. Pouliot, AK) coming back before the end of the season...

anyway, anyone with half a brain knows theses % means nothing... none of the teams listed are good enough for us to predict they'll do better/worse or keep their pace...

so yeah, we're done!
Nobody said we were done, you need to learn to read. We've said that we're currently on the outside looking in, that's it. And it's true.

You've come back with crap like: "If the season ends today we'd be in" without factoring in the games played. That's just flat out silly and it's why you're getting laughed at.

We're on the bubble and we'll have to have a good record to make it in. I don't think .500 hockey the rest of the way will cut it. We need to make up ground on those three teams, not the other way around.

Old
02-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs are at a disadvantage after having been swept by the Flyers but they aren't in a hopeless position (yet). Day by day their injured players are improving, and the Habs can't lose any further ground during the Olympics unless more of their players get hurt while playing for their national teams. On the other hand, players on the other NHL teams also risk injuries.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

In the past month Montreal has gone from a 50% chance of getting into the playoffs (8 teams battling for 4 playoff spots) to a 25% chance (4 teams battling for 1 playoff spot).

That makes it a lot harder because only one of the teams has to upgrade their team at the deadline (who is to say that Frolov won't go to Atlanta or NY Rangers) or put in a decent winning streak.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:50 PM
bigbaddbruins

i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
You know what...

I'd RATHER finish 9th than 10th. I'd rather finish 10th than 11th.

It's a sport and the goal of a sport is to win. Draft picks are not an excuse. Good teams find good talent picking 25th-30th every year and if the Habs want to improve, they'll learn to do the same.

Yes, we could go tank and accumulate a bunch of top 5 picks, but for every Pittsburgh and Washington there's an Edmonton (count the first rounders in that line-up). It's no more a guarantee of success than picking 14th.
i agree, but top picks do help out alot especially when edmonton is getting hall on top of there young talent they already have. brule,penner,gagner,hemsky,o'sullivan taylor hall are all still young and will only get better. they are also way better than there record shows. if hemsky and kabibulin,souray played healthy all season, they would not be where they are now. now just add next year a top goaltender and taylor hall to the mix, they will be in the position, where the kings are now.
if the bruins pick hall, then they'll have senguin, either or they are players who will make a team better.

bigbaddbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:55 PM
bigbaddbruins

hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post
I think that without the injuries, the Habs look like the second/third best offense in the league. (After Washington and maybe Pittsburgh.) We're definitely buyers. Advising a team to tank is silly and will be ignored. On the other hand, saving our assets is a bright way to think, but we definitely needed a bit of an extra push with all of these injuries, and I think that's what Gauthier was thinking.

That said, it'd be nice if he hired a good goalie coach to work with Price and got a good DFD for one of our prospects.
2nd,3rdin scoring
i think your over doing it a bit, there are alot of teams who can put the puck in the net. unfortunatly not us bruins, seguin may help next year. but the thing is these teams may score alot, but they still let in more than they put the puck in the net.

bigbaddbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaddbruins View Post
i agree, but top picks do help out alot especially when edmonton is getting hall on top of there young talent they already have. brule,penner,gagner,hemsky,o'sullivan taylor hall are all still young and will only get better. they are also way better than there record shows. if hemsky and kabibulin,souray played healthy all season, they would not be where they are now. now just add next year a top goaltender and taylor hall to the mix, they will be in the position, where the kings are now.
if the bruins pick hall, then they'll have senguin, either or they are players who will make a team better.
But if Khabibulin gets healthy and we send you Price will you be able to keep the liquor bill below $20,000 ?

Old
02-20-2010, 02:06 AM
coolasprICE

So, I wrote down the remaining games for Montreal, Tampa, NYR, and Atlanta...

I've bolded weaker teams, that "should" be beat...

Notice that Tampa plays Washington 3 times!

Looking forward to the annual drive of perpetual mediocrity

Montreal:

Home: TB, EDM, Bos, Ott, Fla, NJ, Car, Buf, Tor
Road: Bos, SJ, LA, ANH, NYR, TO, Buf, Phi, NYI, Car

Tampa:

Home: Phi, ATL, PITS, PHO, BUF, WAS, CAR, NYR, Car, Ott, Fla
Road: Was, Mon, Tor, Was, Fla, Bos, Buf, Cls, Pit, Fla

NY Rangers:

Home: Pit, Buf, Phi, Mon, STL, NYI, Tor, Phi
Road: Ott, Was, NJ, ATL, Bos, NJ, Tor, NYI, TB, FLa, Buf, Phi

Atlanta:

Home: Fla, Nyi, Car, Nsh, NYR, Pho, Buf, Ott, PHi, Bos, Tor, Car, NJ, Pit
Road: TB, CLS, Phi, Tor, Car, Tor, Was, Pit, Was

Initially at first glance, looks like Atlanta has easiest schedule (most homes games, most weak opponents)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:19 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Most? All of them do.

That's fine. They're still ahead of us in Pts %.

Nobody said we were done, you need to learn to read. We've said that we're currently on the outside looking in, that's it. And it's true.

You've come back with crap like: "If the season ends today we'd be in" without factoring in the games played. That's just flat out silly and it's why you're getting laughed at.

We're on the bubble and we'll have to have a good record to make it in. I don't think .500 hockey the rest of the way will cut it. We need to make up ground on those three teams, not the other way around.
We're currently 8th, and it's true.

You got to be kidding... whenever you use your pts% BS argument you seems to conveniently forget that teams "ahead" of us are at most at 0.02 pts per game more than us...

they lose their next game (OT loss included) and we're all even (more or less), so yeah, keep talking about thoses great team with their awesome pts % like it means something

Old
02-20-2010, 04:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
In the past month Montreal has gone from a 50% chance of getting into the playoffs (8 teams battling for 4 playoff spots) to a 25% chance (4 teams battling for 1 playoff spot).

That makes it a lot harder because only one of the teams has to upgrade their team at the deadline (who is to say that Frolov won't go to Atlanta or NY Rangers) or put in a decent winning streak.

and we dont even have to (upgrade), we'll get equivalent of a full offensive (AK, Pouliot, Cam) line back in a few weeks...

Old
02-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
So, I wrote down the remaining games for Montreal, Tampa, NYR, and Atlanta...

I've bolded weaker teams, that "should" be beat...

Notice that Tampa plays Washington 3 times!

Looking forward to the annual drive of perpetual mediocrity
Aren't we all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Montreal:

Home: TB, EDM, Bos, Ott, Fla, NJ, Car, Buf, Tor
Road: Bos, SJ, LA, ANH, NYR, TO, Buf, Phi, NYI, Car

Tampa:

Home: Phi, ATL, PITS, PHO, BUF, WAS, CAR, NYR, Car, Ott, Fla
Road: Was, Mon, Tor, Was, Fla, Bos, Buf, Cls, Pit, Fla

NY Rangers:

Home: Pit, Buf, Phi, Mon, STL, NYI, Tor, Phi
Road: Ott, Was, NJ, ATL, Bos, NJ, Tor, NYI, TB, FLa, Buf, Phi

Atlanta:

Home: Fla, Nyi, Car, Nsh, NYR, Pho, Buf, Ott, PHi, Bos, Tor, Car, NJ, Pit
Road: TB, CLS, Phi, Tor, Car, Tor, Was, Pit, Was

Initially at first glance, looks like Atlanta has easiest schedule (most homes games, most weak opponents)
Interesting. Atlanta just lost Kovaluchuk so that probably balances some of this out. Tampa playing Washington is a big plus for our 8th place hopes (dare to dream). The Rangers actually have a decent schedule too but their roster pretty much sucks. This has to be the worst the Eastern Conference has looked in over a decade. I can't remember the last time it's been this bad. 85 points is actually the pace set for the last playoff spot this year. That's absolutely pathetic.

The one thing that actually could put us in is that we have the most wins and I believe that is the first tie breaker so I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) those teams would have to have at least one more point if we end the season with more wins.
Quote:
It's also true that we've played more games... hence, your point is irrelevant.
Quote:
You got to be kidding... whenever you use your pts% BS argument you seems to conveniently forget that teams "ahead" of us are at most at 0.02 pts per game more than us...
Again, you need to learn to read. Nobody is saying it's insurmountable. The fact is though that those teams are ahead of us. Don't blame us for this.
Quote:
they lose their next game (OT loss included) and we're all even (more or less), so yeah, keep talking about thoses great team with their awesome pts % like it means something
Or they win and they're ahead... dude, bottom line is that they are ahead of us at this point when you factor in games played. Nobody is saying that it's not close. Now go away.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-20-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:

Every stats site out there says we won't make it.

And with the team performance in Florida and against the Flyers, you have to be pretty optimistic to think we will make it.

Let's hope the break will help them GO HABS GO

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 02:17 PM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Quote:
and we dont even have to (upgrade), we'll get equivalent of a full offensive (AK, Pouliot, Cam) line back in a few weeks...
You are right...when those guy come back we will have a better chance for sure...but you have to understand that the average fans are just interested in trades because it provides them with the excitement of something new...its like making love to a women for the first time you get all excited by the anticipation once you did it...oups here then you just start looking at the next one you could score...and I'm sure they are a lot of Ovenchkin here if you know what I mean.

ymorin007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Every stats site out there says we won't make it.

And with the team performance in Florida and against the Flyers, you have to be pretty optimistic to think we will make it.

Let's hope the break will help them GO HABS GO
If you look at it on a game by game basis you can say that about every team between 6th and 12th...

Old
02-21-2010, 07:54 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Aren't we all?

Interesting. Atlanta just lost Kovaluchuk so that probably balances some of this out. Tampa playing Washington is a big plus for our 8th place hopes (dare to dream). The Rangers actually have a decent schedule too but their roster pretty much sucks. This has to be the worst the Eastern Conference has looked in over a decade. I can't remember the last time it's been this bad. 85 points is actually the pace set for the last playoff spot this year. That's absolutely pathetic.

The one thing that actually could put us in is that we have the most wins and I believe that is the first tie breaker so I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) those teams would have to have at least one more point if we end the season with more wins.
It's also true that we've played more games... hence, your point is irrelevant.

Again, you need to learn to read. Nobody is saying it's insurmountable. The fact is though that those teams are ahead of us. Don't blame us for this.

Or they win and they're ahead... dude, bottom line is that they are ahead of us at this point when you factor in games played. Nobody is saying that it's not close. Now go away.
you're finally getting it... took you a while.

Thanks for the offer but I'll stay where I am right now, dont like it ? use the ignore function.

Old
02-21-2010, 11:05 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
you're finally getting it... took you a while.

Thanks for the offer but I'll stay where I am right now, dont like it ? use the ignore function.
I think he understands very well that a likely scenario is 8th...

BTW, I know this great store where you can buy discount cheerleader uniforms, and the dollar store near my house sells pom poms... PM me for details

edit: mods, it's a joke, I"m not trying to solicit business

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:12 AM
BLONG7

We will finish 7th....end thread...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
We will finish 7th....end thread...
10th ....

Old
02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
10th ....
I think we'll sink to 12th.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I think we'll sink to 12th.
Hey, if that happened, all those blow-the-team-up-ers would get the best of both worlds: a fantastic draft pick, and a ready-made supporting cast for next year (assuming the draft pick makes the team next year which is far from a given).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote