HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky on the block (Garrioch)

Old
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If there's a guy on this team who can play center or wing and he's not creating offensive for those around him and he disappears for games on end, then yes, we should trade Drury.

With AA showing signs of being able to develop into at least a solid #2 pivot and Stepan's play at the WJC, I could see the organization using Dubinsky to fill another need outside of center and I wouldn't be against it. However, anything other then some top line talent, doesn't help this team and makes no sense.

I'm absolutely okay with keeping Dubinsky if he never gets any better then what he is, because already he competes every game, he's versatile and he's cheap.

The organizational depth charge has changed.

...then, the team only had Drury, Dubinsky and an unknown Anisomov for centers. Now Prospal has filled a hole better then those three and Christensen has too. AA has shown he can play in the NHL and could develop into a fine center. Prospal and Christensen may not be here next year, but Stepan just lead the WJC in scoring and lead team USA to gold. Although, IMO, Stepan could use a year in the minors to mature physically and get used to being a professional athlete, I can't help but think about something Ken Holland said in an interview during the early portion of the WJCs. It went something like "The talent in this tournament is so high, that if a player can excel in it, he's ready for the NHL". Stepan wasn't just #1 on his team, it was for all teams and that's a really big statement.
I am nowhere near entrusting Anisimov with the #2 center spot. Im even further from even thinking about what Stepan can bring to the Rangers being hes playing college hockey right now.

The picture will be much clearer this time next year, but right now it makes little sense to deal Dubinsky.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
1) Because he's not improved to the point where the organization hoped he would.
?

The guy has the same number of goals and 10 less assists as last year's entire season and he's only played 49 games. Statistically speaking, he has improved as his PPG is over 25% higher than it was last season. I also think that, while his consistency is a still little iffy, his play overall has improved this year.

He's 24 in a couple of months, which means that in the arc of most NHLers careers, especially those without elite talent, he's not yet in his prime. What do you think the organization expected out of him this year, 60 assists?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:44 AM
GarretJoseph*

some of you guys are really beating this to death. lets get the games back on!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Crap comment.

Savard threw up 50+ points in nis 2nd season. 60+ points in year 3

It's insulting to mention Dubinsky's name in the same sentance as Savard. Marc is / was and always be a MUCH better offensive player than Brandon.

With Savard there was a clear progression, not so much with Brandon (even with his somewhat increased points per game average this year)

Additionally, the Rangers brass at that time didn't want to deal with the attitude that Marc had, which followed him to Calgary and was part of the reason they also dealt him.

Lets not revise history here. It's not like he was dealt for some veteran that we thought could do a a better job. He was traded in a youth for youth deal that didn't work out for either team really. We got 2 respectable seasons out of Hlavac and Calgary got two respectable seasons from Savard.

Bottom line is that as nice a player that Brandon may be, he's never going to be more thna a decent 2nd line center. That's not bad. It's really not, but he plays a roll on this team that we need more from him.

uh, what? I was responding to someone's comment comparing Weiss to Savard which I found insulting. Yes, Dubi cannot hold Savard's jock-strap. The guy was a 130+ point scorer in juniors and I thought had a great rookie season. That 53 pt season you spoke of unfortunately was with the Flames.

Mentioning Savard and Marleau (I clearly say they aren't in the same class) I was merely pointing out some players, even ones with successful junior careers, take longer to put it all together. In Savard and Marleau's cases, putting it all together being becoming elite players. In Dubi's case he will not be elite. I think in 5 years time of development he can reach his full potential which is a 2A center. He might get thrust into the 1B position and have a few good seasons playing with some good players but I don't foresee him being a legitimate 1st liner either.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

In other news, Eklund says he hears that the Rangers have
Quote:
two deals that may go down at midnight [tomorrow night]. One with the LA Kings and one with Florida.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
In other news, Eklund says he hears that the Rangers have
Kopitar to the Rangers
Booth to the Rangers

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Kopitar to the Rangers for Redden and Lisin
Booth to the Rangers for Rosival and Voros

fixed it. While we're fantasizing might as well not hold back...

Old
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Kopitar to the Rangers
Booth to the Rangers

with Hank going to LA and Gabby to Florida

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:19 PM
gravytrain6t

watch. the Rangers get rid of Dubinsky (a few other young guys as well) and a big contract for Vinny who's contract expires in 10 years!!!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The PAnthers have sent a list of 8 players to teams asking for their best offers on them. the next 3 days can be a lot of fun. Horton in Ranger Blue would look awesome to me
Booth
Horton
Tarnasky
Weiss
Clemmenson
Jordan Leopold
Bryan Allen
Campbell
Dennis Seidenberg
are the one's I am told are on the list

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The PAnthers have sent a list of 8 players to teams asking for their best offers on them. the next 3 days can be a lot of fun. Horton in Ranger Blue would look awesome to me
Booth
Horton

Tarnasky
Weiss
Clemmenson
Jordan Leopold
Bryan Allen
Campbell
Dennis Seidenberg

Wow. There are a handful of players on that list that are very interesting for a lot of teams.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Last edited by NYR Viper: 02-27-2010 at 09:32 PM.
NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:24 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Booth
Horton
Tarnasky
Weiss
Clemmenson
Jordan Leopold
Bryan Allen
Campbell
Dennis Seidenberg
Not that its a big deal but thats 9 players

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Booth
Horton
Tarnasky
Weiss
Clemmenson
Jordan Leopold
Bryan Allen
Campbell
Dennis Seidenberg
Can someone explain to me why Florida would want to trade Weiss, Booth, and Horton? These are the players they drafted in thier last rebuild effort and they are still young. Do they rebuild every 3 years down there? I find this hard to believe from a franchise that missed the playoffs by a small margin last season. Not trading Jaybo last year was a big blunder though.

So they are going to trade these young players for even younger players and draft picks? Man sounds very Islanderish to me and we all know how that worked out. The Cats are in one of the weakest divisions and look to have all the core pieces in place to atleast give Washington some headaches.....I call BS on this one.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Can someone explain to me why Florida would want to trade Weiss, Booth, and Horton? These are the players they drafted in thier last rebuild effort and they are still young. Do they rebuild every 3 years down there? I find this hard to believe from a franchise that missed the playoffs by a small margin last season. Not trading Jaybo last year was a big blunder though.

So they are going to trade these young players for even younger players and draft picks? Man sounds very Islanderish to me and we all know how that worked out. The Cats are in one of the weakest divisions and look to have all the core pieces in place to atleast give Washington some headaches.....I call BS on this one.
No one said they are trading everyone on the list. It says they are listening to offers for these players. Call B.S. all you want but there are a bunch of people reporting the same news. The PAnthers are looking for a shake up and seeing who is willing to pay for it.

Korpi your right it is nine. One of the Players listed told me he was on the block and I added him but he isn't on the fax sent out. He is a friend and told me he was offered around. my bad for adding him

Old
02-27-2010, 09:57 PM
gravytrain6t

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,2655784.story

This about covers it. Draft picks I'll take but that's about it. Unless of course they want Redden or Roszival which I highly doubt. Other than that they're looking to get rid of their own garbage (that hasn't gotten the Panthers anywhere in past years) and pick up some picks and prospects of their own. I'll pass on Horton and Weiss.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:34 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Can someone explain to me why Florida would want to trade Weiss, Booth, and Horton? These are the players they drafted in thier last rebuild effort and they are still young. Do they rebuild every 3 years down there?
Well said. Exactly what I want to avoid in New York.

I really think Sather wants to add to the Rangers young core, not just swap pieces. I think he would like to get any one of a few guys on this list if he could do so without touching his own young core. That means picks, non NHL players (Sanguinetti), maybe Girardi and possibly a salary going the other way. His track record is that he doesn't squander young assets at the trade deadline. I don't expect anything different this year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 04:58 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Well said. Exactly what I want to avoid in New York.

I really think Sather wants to add to the Rangers young core, not just swap pieces. I think he would like to get any one of a few guys on this list if he could do so without touching his own young core. That means picks, non NHL players (Sanguinetti), maybe Girardi and possibly a salary going the other way. His track record is that he doesn't squander young assets at the trade deadline. I don't expect anything different this year.
Check out the article (and responses for that matter) directly above your post.

Quote:
"Make no mistake there will be no fire sale," Sexton said.
They just want to hear the best offers from other GMs and trade some of them

Old
02-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
No one said they are trading everyone on the list. It says they are listening to offers for these players. Call B.S. all you want but there are a bunch of people reporting the same news. The PAnthers are looking for a shake up and seeing who is willing to pay for it.

Korpi your right it is nine. One of the Players listed told me he was on the block and I added him but he isn't on the fax sent out. He is a friend and told me he was offered around. my bad for adding him
Hey dragoon I wasn't saying ur BS I realize it's being reported elsewhere. Sry if you took it that way it's not how I meant it.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Dagoon44

No worries at all I am just sitting here screaming the name Hugh Jessiman!!!!!!!!!!!!! why on Gods green earth did we draft Hugh mother F'ing Jessiman

Old
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
No worries at all I am just sitting here screaming the name Hugh Jessiman!!!!!!!!!!!!! why on Gods green earth did we draft Hugh mother F'ing Jessiman
the same reason we drafted Lee Falardeau? and Bruce Graham? sucks to have to live with this for 10 more years before it will starts fading.

Old
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Fletch

drafting those guys is about being lazy. It's like many of us in here who cannot see most of these players outside the Rangers every night. You look at stats and size. All three had stats and size and the Rangers were looking for size. The scouts were lazy. Jessiman hurts the most. You watch Devils games and you appreciate Parise. You watch the Olympics and as an American you fall in love with Parise. To think he should've been a Ranger is criminal. Sather should be fired solely based on that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
drafting those guys is about being lazy. It's like many of us in here who cannot see most of these players outside the Rangers every night. You look at stats and size. All three had stats and size and the Rangers were looking for size. The scouts were lazy. Jessiman hurts the most. You watch Devils games and you appreciate Parise. You watch the Olympics and as an American you fall in love with Parise. To think he should've been a Ranger is criminal. Sather should be fired solely based on that.
The thing is, I actually think the lazy pick would have been Parise that year. The kid was easily the best player on the previous USA WJC team and had just put up 61 pts. as an 18yo freshman at North Dakota. I will never forget watching the draft specials that year and the videos of all of his USA teammates (particularly Ryan Suter, who really had a coming our party at these Olympics huh?) simply drooling about how awesome Parise is/was.

The Rangers staff simply put way too much thought into that pick. I wish they really would have been lazy and just went with the tide of opinions in that draft instead of trying to hit some crazy home run. Even if you were hell bent on taking an American forward with your 1st that year, I just can't believe more than a handful of teams would have thought of Jessiman ahead of Parise and Brown, and probably even Kesler. This one mistake has set this organization back immeasurably in my opinion and I will never be able to forgive Sather for it.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
The Amity Affliction
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The thing is, I actually think the lazy pick would have been Parise that year. The kid was easily the best player on the previous USA WJC team and had just put up 61 pts. as an 18yo freshman at North Dakota. I will never forget watching the draft specials that year and the videos of all of his USA teammates (particularly Ryan Suter, who really had a coming our party at these Olympics huh?) simply drooling about how awesome Parise is/was.

The Rangers staff simply put way too much thought into that pick. I wish they really would have been lazy and just went with the tide of opinions in that draft instead of trying to hit some crazy home run. Even if you were hell bent on taking an American forward with your 1st that year, I just can't believe more than a handful of teams would have thought of Jessiman ahead of Parise and Brown, and probably even Kesler. This one mistake has set this organization back immeasurably in my opinion and I will never be able to forgive Sather for it.
As someone who tries his hardest to follow North Dakota, as they're my favorite college hockey team, I wanted Parise back then, and especially after reading about JP Parise's heroics in the 75 Rangers/Isles series, I thought Parise would have been a great fit on the Rangers. I didn't like seeing Jessiman's stats, in the ECAC, which is the worst of all of the conference in college hockey, in my opinion, compared to Parise's in the WCHA, which is the best conference in college hockey, or Getzlaf's stats in the CHL.

The biggest reason as to why that's set this organization back as much as it has is that it was the worst time for Sather to swing for the fences... Our prospect pool was barren, and that was arguably the deepest draft in the history of the NHL. There's less than a handful of players that aren't NHL regulars, and there's 20 or so that are impact NHL'ers.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
As someone who tries his hardest to follow North Dakota, as they're my favorite college hockey team, I wanted Parise back then, and especially after reading about JP Parise's heroics in the 75 Rangers/Isles series, I thought Parise would have been a great fit on the Rangers. I didn't like seeing Jessiman's stats, in the ECAC, which is the worst of all of the conference in college hockey, in my opinion, compared to Parise's in the WCHA, which is the best conference in college hockey, or Getzlaf's stats in the CHL.

The biggest reason as to why that's set this organization back as much as it has is that it was the worst time for Sather to swing for the fences... Our prospect pool was barren, and that was arguably the deepest draft in the history of the NHL. There's less than a handful of players that aren't NHL regulars, and there's 20 or so that are impact NHL'ers.
Exactly. It's one thing to miss in an ordinary draft, but everyone knew that 2003 was special before it happened. Everyone. I've mentioned this before, and perhaps it's a non-starter because you don't know how the chips would have fallen subsequently, but if you take Parise off of NJ's roster and put him on ours imagine how different the standings would look.

That said, Lou the magician probably would still figure out a way to scrap together a winner even without Parise.

It's really bad how much I let an early summer day from 7 years ago haunt my life. Goooooooood! I hate the fact that he plays in Newark! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Dagoon44

I was at the draft party the day we drafted this stiff. It was most remembered for being the day Roger Nelson passed away. JD and Sam were hosting and when R0ger passed no one cared about the Rangers pick which was 2 picks away. I remember lots of people chanting Zack and screaming his name and then Sather picked Hugh. When the pick was booed and people walked out I was like ouuch . The Rangers have a history of looking for size and passing on the sure pick