HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stephen Weiss to Toronto

Old
02-14-2010, 10:05 AM
chef223

vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss to Toronto

Bruce Garrioch of the Toronto Sun in his weekly write up , has the Leafs making a push for Weiss . What would Weiss cost the Leafs?, personally I think that Horton would make more sense on the Leafs.

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
avengedsevenfold

If this is true, I'm very confused on what Burke is trying to do with this team. Getting Weiss would cost them future assets on a rebuilding team. Florida is also rebiulding therefore wouldn't be interested in the Leafs collection of pending UFA's.

avengedsevenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

This is coming from Bruce Garrioch, which is not always the best source in breaking deals.

If this were to happen, than a player like Mikhail Grabovski could be considered with more being added on, or even Tomas Kaberle (if he waves) to go back with his pal Bryan McCabe in Florida. Anything is possible, as Sexton has said he wants to retool the team. I doubt the Leafs get Weiss, but don't put it past Sexton to actually trade Weiss in his bid to retool the team.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
panthersfan751

As a starting point, I'd want Kadri and Schenn both in the deal. We don't need Kaberle if we're rebuilding.

Weiss is that valuable to us and is locked up at a great salary. Were he ever traded, it would be for overpayment, so the Leafs are not getting him without giving up significant value.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Traktor*

Toronto has nothing to offer/28 other clubs could offer more.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
Bruce Garrioch of the Toronto Sun in his weekly write up , has the Leafs making a push for Weiss . What would Weiss cost the Leafs?, personally I think that Horton would make more sense on the Leafs.
Toronto needs a center, how does Horton make more sense?

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Florida could also move C Stephen Weiss to the Leafs ...
This is the line from his article. Doesn't sound like much to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Dion Phaneuf

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Andrew Mack

While I certainly don't see it happening, it would be nice if we could work something out. However, there is no way that Schenn or Kadri are being moved so I am pretty confused as to how this gets done.

Pretty obvious Weiss is on the verge of breaking out in my mind, so I'll be interested to see how Burke would accomplish this. Unless Sexton is just desperate to blow it up no matter what.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Dion Phaneuf
Phaneuf + what?

Old
02-14-2010, 10:43 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
This is the line from his article. Doesn't sound like much to me.

Dion Phaneuf
We don't need Phaneuf or his salary.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:48 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
lol

I wasn't suggesting the Leafs would trade Phaneuf for Weiss, because there's no way in hell they would do that. I was using him as an example to counter the "28 other teams could offer more" theory.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:02 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Yeah, I don't know what the Maple Leafs could offer really. They won't be adding Kadri or Schenn as far as I can imagine. Schenn is turning the corner after a rough first half and doing the things he was doing in his first season, Kadri is Kadri.. young raw and ton of talent. Kaberle doesn't make much sense if their going into a total rebuild.

Other than that.. Not sure what the Leafs could offer that would be appealing to Florida. Nikolai Kulemin I think could be had depending on what kind of contract he's asking for vs. what Burke and co. want to give him. John Mitchell has fallen out of favour this year, though he's only in his second NHL season and could still develop into a 3rd line player. He was great last year for Toronto, seems to be a in a sophmore slump this year.

Doesn't make sense to me though if Florida is rebuilding that they'd really move Weiss. He's young still, and I think someone they'd want to keep around if anything. Love to have him on Toronto, but just doesn't seem like the Leafs could offer what Florida would want.

02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
As a starting point, I'd want Kadri and Schenn both in the deal. We don't need Kaberle if we're rebuilding.

Weiss is that valuable to us and is locked up at a great salary. Were he ever traded, it would be for overpayment, so the Leafs are not getting him without giving up significant value.
I understand Weiss is a good player, but he is no Ilya Kovalchuk or any other top ten player in the NHL to garner both Kadri and Schenn.

Weiss has played seven full NHL seasons and has 61 points as his highest production season, with the rest averaging anywhere between 21 and 48 point seasons. His breakout year is this year and he is still on pace for a 66 point season at this time. I understand on pace means nothing, but looking at his historical production it just shows he is not an upper echelon player at this time, just another top six forward.

If Pantherstan751 is asking for both Kadri and Schenn for Weiss, then what would Leafs fans want for a UFA to be Alexei Ponikarovsky? Both Weiss and Ponikarovsky are 20 goal and 60 point type players.

I don't think that would happen, so don't expect a kings ransom for a player that has not proven to be an upper echelon player in the NHL as of yet.

Maybe this is one reason the Panthers ownership and management have decided to look at trading any player from the Panthers roster? It just looks like the Panthers players are not getting it done, and the management team now wants to retool the whole roster.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Weiss is big Maple Leafs fan, i remember .

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Traktor*

Quote:
lol

I wasn't suggesting the Leafs would trade Phaneuf for Weiss, because there's no way in hell they would do that. I was using him as an example to counter the "28 other teams could offer more" theory.
Common sense tells us Burke doesn't move Phaneuf.

Looking at things realistically Toronto has nothing to offer, you know that as well as I do.

That said, an 6.5 million dollar struggling defender for a 3.1 million 1st line center would be beyond horrible for Florida.

If they deal Weiss it will be for blue chip prospects on entry level deals not an overpaid Dion.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Weiss is turning 27 in a couple months, is in his 7th NHL season, and is on pace for a career high 64 points. He's pretty much hit his ceiling, especially given that he's only 5'11 and doesn't need to grow into his body. That is a second-line centre, and we just traded one of those away.

Kadri and Schenn? I don't even know why someone would think that's an option.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:17 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Yeah we always hear that on this board yet they ended up with Dion Phaneuf.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:18 AM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:

I really like Weiss, but don't kid yourself.

That said, I agree it's going to take an overpayment, but a team like the Leafs would never give up two future building blocks to our franchise for a player like Weiss, who's likely topped out as a perennial 50-60 point scorer.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Common sense tells us Burke doesn't move Phaneuf.

Looking at things realistically Toronto has nothing to offer, you know that as well as I do.

That said, an 6.5 million dollar struggling defender for a 3.1 million 1st line center would be beyond horrible for Florida.

If they deal Weiss it will be for blue chip prospects on entry level deals not an overpaid Dion.
Florida won't get "Blue Chip Prospects" for Weiss. He's not that good.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:22 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
This is insane. You want Kadri and Schenn as a starting point for a guy who's gone over the 50 point total once in his career? Since when is Weiss a superstar? If you're expecting a package like that from any team you'll be very dissapointed.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:23 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
You won't get Phaneuf for Weiss.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedsevenfold View Post
If this is true, I'm very confused on what Burke is trying to do with this team. Getting Weiss would cost them future assets on a rebuilding team. Florida is also rebiulding therefore wouldn't be interested in the Leafs collection of pending UFA's.
They already traded future assets in the Kessel trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
You won't get Phaneuf for Weiss.
Don't know if the Panthers would be too interested in Phaneuf. Weiss has a great contract. Phaneuf is overpayed.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
They already traded future assets in the Kessel trade.
Yeah but they got a 21 year-old Kessel in the deal who's much better than Weiss.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Florida won't get "Blue Chip Prospects" for Weiss. He's not that good.
He's definitely too good to let him go for less.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:41 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
What happened with Dion Phaneuf then, were the other 28 teams asleep at the switch?

Edit: Whoops I see this has already been addressed by Leaf Nation.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote