HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taping the whole blade

Old
02-14-2010, 12:27 PM
DarrenBanks56

vCash: 500
Taping the whole blade

Is there an easy way to do this? I see guys like Savard tape the whole blade of their stick. When I try to do this I screw it up to no end. So, can anyone tell me the easy way to tape a blade from just behind the heel of the stick all the way to the toe. I have a round end toe by the way, which makes it really hard to do.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Ani simov mal

Kind of hard to explain over text, but when you get to the top you basically go past the toe so that you can press the tape thats sticking out together. Then you cut it off. I think you'd be better of finding it on youtube. Their are thousands of videos on how to do it.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Sometimes, I start by taping the toe with one little strip, and then go back and start on the heel and do a full job.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:14 PM
bigsick

This is very simple, you just tape your stick from heel to toe, when you get to then end pretend the blade wasnt round but square. You will have the sticky sides of the tape touching eachother and your stick will look like it has a square toe. THen you just grab some scissors and cut out your rounded blade.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
blueberrydanish

Pretty much what some of the above posters are sayin about the toe.

I made a quick pic cause I was bored enough, my blade is a righty so imagine this is the backhand side of the blade. The red obviously represents the tape style I have and you can see how I continue the pattern even past the round edges. Just pinch down around the edge of it with your fingers after and cutoff the excess like others have said. Hopefully this simplifies it enough for ya

Last edited by blueberrydanish: 02-14-2010 at 06:31 PM.
blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
DarrenBanks56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
This is very simple, you just tape your stick from heel to toe, when you get to then end pretend the blade wasnt round but square. You will have the sticky sides of the tape touching eachother and your stick will look like it has a square toe. THen you just grab some scissors and cut out your rounded blade.
thanks buddy, this worked out great.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:26 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post

I made a quick pic cause I was bored enough, my blade is a righty so imagine this is the backhand side of the blade. The red obviously represents the tape style I have and you can see how I continue the pattern even past the round edges. Just pinch down around the edge of it with your fingers after and cutoff the excess like others have said. Hopefully this simplifies it enough for ya
Love the effort! I'm going to try this, I usually just do the standard tape job.

If you want to see an interesting way to tape your stick check out Eric Cole

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:45 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Love the effort! I'm going to try this, I usually just do the standard tape job.

If you want to see an interesting way to tape your stick check out Eric Cole
Thats great for Eric Cole, but unless you're a pro and get free sticks, I personally wouldn't recommend this. Not taping the bottom edge of the stick will most likely wear down the blade faster.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I couldn't get any spin on the puck with the Cole method, and the tape kept falling off because I didn't want to put the glue on and not be able to re-tape (my sticks last 6 months and longer, his probably last a game).

Taping over the toe helps with toe drags, that's why I do it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post

You hazz mad paint skillz yo.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:40 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
You hazz mad paint skillz yo.
fear my paintbrush

Old
02-15-2010, 12:20 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Thats great for Eric Cole, but unless you're a pro and get free sticks, I personally wouldn't recommend this. Not taping the bottom edge of the stick will most likely wear down the blade faster.
It really doesn't make that much of a difference for me in wear. I use this method for my roller hockey sticks because if there's tape on the bottom it drags on the floor much more than it does the ice.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
It really doesn't make that much of a difference for me in wear. I use this method for my roller hockey sticks because if there's tape on the bottom it drags on the floor much more than it does the ice.
Well I can tell ya atleast on ice, it most definitely will reduce the lifetime of a blade.

Old
02-17-2010, 01:07 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I couldn't get any spin on the puck with the Cole method, and the tape kept falling off because I didn't want to put the glue on and not be able to re-tape (my sticks last 6 months and longer, his probably last a game).

Taping over the toe helps with toe drags, that's why I do it.
Aha...good point. He probably goes through 1 stick per game. I just thought it was weird. The method of taping your stick that others suggested is much better, just thought I would share.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:35 AM
CanadaBacon

I dont tape the bottom, my stick has lasted since Dec '09 (thats actually surprising, i usually go 3-5 months with a stick). I pull the tape off after every game though.

Just to clarify, i tape the whole blade, i just dont put that extra strip down the bottom of the blade

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:10 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I dont tape the bottom, my stick has lasted since Dec '09 (thats actually surprising, i usually go 3-5 months with a stick). I pull the tape off after every game though.

Just to clarify, i tape the whole blade, i just dont put that extra strip down the bottom of the blade
Same here. Doing that creates some odd drag for me.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote