HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taping the whole blade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2010, 12:27 PM
  #1
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Taping the whole blade

Is there an easy way to do this? I see guys like Savard tape the whole blade of their stick. When I try to do this I screw it up to no end. So, can anyone tell me the easy way to tape a blade from just behind the heel of the stick all the way to the toe. I have a round end toe by the way, which makes it really hard to do.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
  #2
Ani simov mal
Registered User
 
Ani simov mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Kind of hard to explain over text, but when you get to the top you basically go past the toe so that you can press the tape thats sticking out together. Then you cut it off. I think you'd be better of finding it on youtube. Their are thousands of videos on how to do it.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
  #3
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Sometimes, I start by taping the toe with one little strip, and then go back and start on the heel and do a full job.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:14 PM
  #4
bigsick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: yk
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
This is very simple, you just tape your stick from heel to toe, when you get to then end pretend the blade wasnt round but square. You will have the sticky sides of the tape touching eachother and your stick will look like it has a square toe. THen you just grab some scissors and cut out your rounded blade.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
  #5
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Pretty much what some of the above posters are sayin about the toe.

I made a quick pic cause I was bored enough, my blade is a righty so imagine this is the backhand side of the blade. The red obviously represents the tape style I have and you can see how I continue the pattern even past the round edges. Just pinch down around the edge of it with your fingers after and cutoff the excess like others have said. Hopefully this simplifies it enough for ya


Last edited by blueberrydanish: 02-14-2010 at 06:31 PM.
blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
  #6
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
This is very simple, you just tape your stick from heel to toe, when you get to then end pretend the blade wasnt round but square. You will have the sticky sides of the tape touching eachother and your stick will look like it has a square toe. THen you just grab some scissors and cut out your rounded blade.
thanks buddy, this worked out great.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:26 PM
  #7
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Pretty much what some of the above posters are sayin about the toe.

I made a quick pic cause I was bored enough, my blade is a righty so imagine this is the backhand side of the blade. The red obviously represents the tape style I have and you can see how I continue the pattern even past the round edges. Just pinch down around the edge of it with your fingers after and cutoff the excess like others have said. Hopefully this simplifies it enough for ya
Love the effort! I'm going to try this, I usually just do the standard tape job.

If you want to see an interesting way to tape your stick check out Eric Cole

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:45 PM
  #8
wondeROY
Registered User
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Love the effort! I'm going to try this, I usually just do the standard tape job.

If you want to see an interesting way to tape your stick check out Eric Cole
Thats great for Eric Cole, but unless you're a pro and get free sticks, I personally wouldn't recommend this. Not taping the bottom edge of the stick will most likely wear down the blade faster.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:29 AM
  #9
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,438
vCash: 500
I couldn't get any spin on the puck with the Cole method, and the tape kept falling off because I didn't want to put the glue on and not be able to re-tape (my sticks last 6 months and longer, his probably last a game).

Taping over the toe helps with toe drags, that's why I do it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:45 AM
  #10
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Pretty much what some of the above posters are sayin about the toe.

I made a quick pic cause I was bored enough, my blade is a righty so imagine this is the backhand side of the blade. The red obviously represents the tape style I have and you can see how I continue the pattern even past the round edges. Just pinch down around the edge of it with your fingers after and cutoff the excess like others have said. Hopefully this simplifies it enough for ya
You hazz mad paint skillz yo.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:40 AM
  #11
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
You hazz mad paint skillz yo.
fear my paintbrush

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:20 PM
  #12
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Thats great for Eric Cole, but unless you're a pro and get free sticks, I personally wouldn't recommend this. Not taping the bottom edge of the stick will most likely wear down the blade faster.
It really doesn't make that much of a difference for me in wear. I use this method for my roller hockey sticks because if there's tape on the bottom it drags on the floor much more than it does the ice.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
  #13
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
It really doesn't make that much of a difference for me in wear. I use this method for my roller hockey sticks because if there's tape on the bottom it drags on the floor much more than it does the ice.
Well I can tell ya atleast on ice, it most definitely will reduce the lifetime of a blade.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:07 AM
  #14
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I couldn't get any spin on the puck with the Cole method, and the tape kept falling off because I didn't want to put the glue on and not be able to re-tape (my sticks last 6 months and longer, his probably last a game).

Taping over the toe helps with toe drags, that's why I do it.
Aha...good point. He probably goes through 1 stick per game. I just thought it was weird. The method of taping your stick that others suggested is much better, just thought I would share.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:35 AM
  #15
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
I dont tape the bottom, my stick has lasted since Dec '09 (thats actually surprising, i usually go 3-5 months with a stick). I pull the tape off after every game though.

Just to clarify, i tape the whole blade, i just dont put that extra strip down the bottom of the blade

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:10 AM
  #16
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I dont tape the bottom, my stick has lasted since Dec '09 (thats actually surprising, i usually go 3-5 months with a stick). I pull the tape off after every game though.

Just to clarify, i tape the whole blade, i just dont put that extra strip down the bottom of the blade
Same here. Doing that creates some odd drag for me.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.