HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens vs. Preds Plus/Minus

Old
02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

vCash: 500
doesn't guerin's cap hit stay regardless of where he goes.

he's over 35 years old. right?

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Jer Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt401 View Post
Fedetenko has 3 more points that Brooks Orpik in 6 more games.
He also has a -16 rating, the worst on the team, while playing with Malkin. Simply horrendous.

Jer Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

I'm concerned about the lack of net front presence on the PP. Big bodies != good in front of the net as evidenced by the fact that Kunitz is probably the best net front presence on the wing for this team. We need a good PP vet with size who can play in front of the net and in the top 6 with Malkin. I'm looking at a guy like Nolan. I doubt he'd be as expensive as Poni et al at the deadline.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Jer Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

He's 39, I believe.

Jer Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:55 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

We can still get his cap off the books by trading him.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

As much as it would be awesome to be able to trade Guerin and Feds and get their salary off the books to use elsewhere, let's face it...who the **** would want them? They're both playing so poorly that we'd literally give them away, and this team has the worst wingers in the NHL. That should tell you something about their trade value.

We're going to have to bite the bullet and live with them for the rest of their contracts, even if it will probably mean we'll fare poorly in the playoffs.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

yeah,

i was responding to the "person who said to waive him, or send to the minors

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:03 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I thought Shea Weber was a lot of fun to watch today. One of my favorite defenders in the game and he's pretty damn good.

I like Nashville's team. They don't have much that sticks out, but they work as a unit and play very hard.
They have a very good supporting cast but no superstars up front. Always competitive but not nearly good enough to win it all outside of a Cinderella run.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
We can still get his cap off the books by trading him.
You don't want to set the precedent of cutting vet players who want to play for a Cup and give you a discount in the first place. If we are going to maintain depth down the middle while having a goalie like Fleury and defenders like Orpik/Gonchar/Letang, you need top 6 wingers at a very minimal price. Potential free agents will steer clear from Pittsburgh if we do that.

Look, when it comes to hating Guerin's lethargic play, I'm at the front of the pack. I absolutely can't stand him at this point. He's worthless and I'm surprised he breaks a sweat on the ice. You just don't want vets avoiding Pittsburgh if you are Ray Shero. We need these type of hit/miss players signing cheap to fill top 6 spots during the offseason.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
As much as it would be awesome to be able to trade Guerin and Feds and get their salary off the books to use elsewhere, let's face it...who the **** would want them? They're both playing so poorly that we'd literally give them away, and this team has the worst wingers in the NHL. That should tell you something about their trade value.

We're going to have to bite the bullet and live with them for the rest of their contracts, even if it will probably mean we'll fare poorly in the playoffs.
Edit-we have the worst TOP wingers in the league. Kennedy and Cooke are excellent in their positions, and I believe Feds, Dupuis, and Guerin would be better placed their as well.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

As a Malkin fan, I would like to thank the poster that said its time to trade Malkin. After that game, I came to this thread expecting to read a bunch of posts about how horrible he was today. However, your post turned the attention from Malkin's horrible game, to your horrible post....and made people defend Geno.

Thanks again!

Riggs

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
Edit-we have the worst TOP wingers in the league. Kennedy and Cooke are excellent in their positions, and I believe Feds, Dupuis, and Guerin would be better placed their as well.
Well, of course I meant top-6 wingers, but really... Feds and Guerin would be awful bottom-6 wingers at their prices, and I just don't see either of them filling the roles required as bottom-6 guys. Dupuis is great, and it's not his fault he was signed to a $1.4mil/yr deal.

Either way, our wingers suck , and it won't get any better for at least a year (Tangradi has a chance to make the team out of camp, but he'll probably need more time in the AHL) unless Shero decides to make a big splash going after a young, legit winger this summer who will be signed to a long-term deal.

Old
02-14-2010, 07:16 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
You don't want to set the precedent of cutting vet players who want to play for a Cup and give you a discount in the first place. If we are going to maintain depth down the middle while having a goalie like Fleury and defenders like Orpik/Gonchar/Letang, you need top 6 wingers at a very minimal price. Potential free agents will steer clear from Pittsburgh if we do that.

Look, when it comes to hating Guerin's lethargic play, I'm at the front of the pack. I absolutely can't stand him at this point. He's worthless and I'm surprised he breaks a sweat on the ice. You just don't want vets avoiding Pittsburgh if you are Ray Shero. We need these type of hit/miss players signing cheap to fill top 6 spots during the offseason.
I wasn't suggesting we trade him or anything else, just saying his cap hit goes away in a trade.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Taste View Post
I'm concerned about the lack of net front presence on the PP. Big bodies != good in front of the net as evidenced by the fact that Kunitz is probably the best net front presence on the wing for this team. We need a good PP vet with size who can play in front of the net and in the top 6 with Malkin. I'm looking at a guy like Nolan. I doubt he'd be as expensive as Poni et al at the deadline.
I like Nolan. I only fear that he'd become next season's Guerin. They're very similar players of similar ages. Can anyone make a statement regarding Nolan's play? Does he still have anything in the tank?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:00 PM
River Man

Quote:
I thought Shea Weber was a lot of fun to watch today. One of my favorite defenders in the game and he's pretty damn good.

I like Nashville's team. They don't have much that sticks out, but they work as a unit and play very hard.
I agree. It was great to watch a real defenseman for a change.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:42 PM
cadow

hamhuis would be soo awsome to get for our team.... he played great besides getting drilled by adams

cadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:55 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadow View Post
hamhuis would be soo awsome to get for our team.... he played great besides getting drilled by adams
true...but it all comes down to the cost.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:59 PM
jdpitt05

I assume they'd want some immediate help along with a pick/prospect since they currently are 7th in the West. If I were a fan of the Preds, I'd probably just want to keep the guy. Replacing defensemen isn't easy this time of year in a playoff race.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:17 PM
PrivatePoni*

Well, after the lackluster performance today, I seriously hope that Shero makes an important move or two. Yet another uninspired performance all around.

Very little offensive zone pressure. D zone and neutral zone play were bad once again. MAF didn't look good. IMO, all three Preds goals were softies by Fleury. Add that to the fact that he looked really bad in the SO.

Pens were lucky to even get a point, that shot by Orpik never should have went in. Team is just not gelling right now.

Feds and Dupuis, while I like their hustle, are worthless. My grandmother can stick handle better than those two.

Adams is just meh. He is a 4th liner but even at that he leaves alot to be desired.

The whole defensive unit is soft save Orpik. Very little physical play from them. The zone D really hurts their ability to be physical, but even at that they are soft.

Guerin is becoming a liability as far as I'm concerned. He turns the puck over constantly, misses wide open nets and continues to make bad decisions by holding the puck too long.

Kunitz is our only truly physical forward right now. He lays the lumber but for the most part contributes little offensively.

Sid and Geno are looking like they are getting more jump in their step recently but they can't carry the team single handedly.

Fleury continues to let in softies. Sure he can make a sprawling save on a 2 on 1 that will make your jaw drop, but then he turns around and allows a wrister from the blue line bloop over his shoulder. The zone D is partly to blame here. The defenders just keep backing up and allow the puck carrier to skate freely into the zone and unleash a shot.

The team needs a spark. They need something to make them come together and play like every game is game 7 of the Finals. I'm not sure what it is but I sure hop Shero does.

PrivatePoni* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:37 PM
AK

I agree that Adams was excellent. He is becoming truly reliable as a penalty killing shot blocker. I don't care if he can't score any goals.

The team effort was just frustrating. The winger deficiencies are just too terrible to ignore. Kunitz, Cooke, Dupuis, and Kennedy are the only top nine wingers I have any desire to see on the Penguins much longer, and none of them are great goal scorers. They can all put the puck in the net, but the Penguins need just one or two actual finishers to compliment Crosby and/or Malkin.

Luca Caputi should get another shot, and I don't mean a three game tryout before being scratched.

On the powerplay in OT, it looked like they wanted to score the fanciest goal possible and not worry about just driving the puck in behind Ellis.

I hope the break does them some good. The Penguins need Fleury to be better, and I hope that the Olympics help him relax (since he won't play) and learn from the best in Brodeur. Guerin and Goligoski also really need the chance to recharge their batteries.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:05 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadow View Post
Many Preds fans actually can't wait to get rid of him and it seems to be the writing on the wall that he won't be in Nashville next year, maybe not even next month after the trade deadline. However it is looking like Poile (our GM) might be looking to keep him after all. Either way, it's not impossible, he may be on the market soon.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Jag68Sid87

Guerin doesn't fall under the 35+ rule because he signed only a one-year contract. It's only when a 35+ player signs for more than 1 year that you can't lose the cap hit if you waive him.

That said, I doubt we'd waive Guerin. And I doubt we'll trade him. We would actually miss Guerin's production if we moved him, as opposed to Fedotenko.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I was watching the game with a friend who doesn't follow hockey, and we were laughing at how bad Guerin was. When I told her about how some people say he's still valuable for his locker room presence, she said "Why doesn't he stay in the locker room, then?"
Stole this from the Guerin thread.

That is an awesome line from your friend, lol. You keep good company. Great stuff.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Stole this from the Guerin thread.

That is an awesome line from your friend, lol. You keep good company. Great stuff.

Yeah, a few friends of mine who don't watch hockey and I basically had the same exact conversation numerous times during the Cup run last year about Gill.

Old
02-14-2010, 11:12 PM
cadow

if hamhuis comes with a decent price like dupuis and ryan bayda or strait that be awsome doubt it... but it would help... use mckee as our 7th defense men and ta-da hopefully... anywho i hope the next game we come out with a lil more bang
i was listening to the game and wanted to punch my radio... but o well...

cadow is offline   Reply With Quote