HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Christensen

Old
02-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

vCash: 500
I rather have Christensen over Lisin any day.

Lisin is fast as hell -- that's it (he also works really hard but...). He isn't smart, he makes stupid decisions and plays, and doesn't really ever hit the net and he's small. He's not the greatest defensively either.

Christensen is smart (you can tell by his interviews he's intelligent, unlike most athletes), has good hockey IQ (intelligence helps), good hands, and knows where to be positionally to make a good pass or to take a shot. Defensively he's okay - can't say I've seen him directly responsible many goals unlike some people on this team.

The kicker is consistency which seems like it is the problem for every Ranger. Christ can easily be a 3rd line center for us.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

that's what's so frustrating about lisin, he has all these golden opportunities, but either doesnt shoot, goes the wrong way, or fans on the shot

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:12 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
that's what's so frustrating about lisin, he has all these golden opportunities, but either doesnt shoot, goes the wrong way, or fans on the shot
the thing with lisin is....he just isnt that good. not very good hands, not very aware on the ice. not a particularly good shot. he does have a lot of speed and can hustle, but thats about it.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:17 PM
bjthehockeykid

Christensen>lisin but remember when the rangers had adam hall he had 1 good game a 2 goal game and did nothing else so dont go thinking he will be the rich peverley of the nyr but for under a million keep him he seems like he could net 10 or 15 with that shot

bjthehockeykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Is it my TV or is the feed messed up on MSG? Also, EC had a good game tonight he looked really confident out there. He just seems like a depressed guy that sort of gives up on himself. Also wanted to say I LOVE Maloney as an analyst..he's so much better then Michaletti..is it permanent?

I'm a Devils fan yes, but first and foremost I'm a hockey fan if anyone wants to know why I care.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
“Management has been working with me,” said Christensen, with his fourth team in five NHL seasons. “It’s kind of more between my ears. I’m a more confident player. I’m a more confident person. Slats [Rangers general manager Glen Sather] told me he wants me to get an ego.”
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...at_Garden.html

Is that what Slats tells the players?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
Is it my TV or is the feed messed up on MSG? Also, EC had a good game tonight he looked really confident out there. He just seems like a depressed guy that sort of gives up on himself. Also wanted to say I LOVE Maloney as an analyst..he's so much better then Michaletti..is it permanent?

I'm a Devils fan yes, but first and foremost I'm a hockey fan if anyone wants to know why I care.
Micheletti was in Vancouver for the Olympics. He will be analyzing some of the hockey games for the various NBC networks.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:

I enjoyed Maloney as well. I don't mind Micheletti too much, but Maloney is the man. The only guy who tells it like it is - in fact he swore (said damn) during the broadcast and probably got in trouble for being too blunt haha.

But yeah, he's got great hockey knowledge and despite being a huge Rangers homer, also admits penalties when the Rangers are at fault or when other teams make great plays.

Old
02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Quote:
“Management has been working with me,” said Christensen, with his fourth team in five NHL seasons. “It’s kind of more between my ears. I’m a more confident player. I’m a more confident person. Slats [Rangers general manager Glen Sather] told me he wants me to get an ego.”

That's exactly what EC needs. Whether he'll get it or not is another story.

He was a huge tease on the Pens because he obviously has the skills, he's money in shootouts, and he has that amazing wrist shot that he can get off if he has tons of time. But he's inconsistent at both ends and pretty soft for a 3rd line center, and that's the problem.

He's more than talented enough to be a top 6er when he's on, but those times are sporadic, and he doesn't have a checking player's skillset or mentality.

I hope he does well for the NYR because he seems like a good guy, but don't get your hopes too high. He's a heartbreaker.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
beastly115

EC is a strange player that I haven't quite figured out. Guy can play on the top-6 and be productive, yet put him in the bottom 6 and he disappears. I've never seen a player's production/effectiveness be so reliant on a top-6 role. Cheechoo maybe?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
EC is a strange player that I haven't quite figured out. Guy can play on the top-6 and be productive, yet put him in the bottom 6 and he disappears. I've never seen a player's production/effectiveness be so reliant on a top-6 role. Cheechoo maybe?
It's simple math...

More ice time = More chances to make something happen when you're out there.

I feel like Anisimov is the same way. When he's on the top lines you see him making great plays. When he's on the 3rd line, he's pretty invisible.

Christ also probably tries harder when he's given top-line duty because the coach is expecting it from him. The guy seems like he has confidence issues and is very depressed/sad so getting 3 points tonight probably helped him a lot.

Old
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

He was a huge tease on the Pens because he obviously has the skills, he's money in shootouts, and he has that amazing wrist shot that he can get off if he has tons of time. But he's inconsistent at both ends and pretty soft for a 3rd line center, and that's the problem.

He's more than talented enough to be a top 6er when he's on, but those times are sporadic, and he doesn't have a checking player's skillset or mentality.

I hope he does well for the NYR because he seems like a good guy, but don't get your hopes too high. He's a heartbreaker.
This pretty much summarizes my above post. The guy can only fit in when he's a top 6 guy. Sucks because it sort of fast tracks his way out of the NHL if he stops being productive. A guy like Cheechoo gradually fell down to the 3rd and 4th lines before being put on waivers. For EC it's top 6 or bust.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:08 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Playing for 4 teams in 5 years is gonna get to anyone, no matter how good or experienced he is. The fact that he's dreading water ATM in a place as tough to play in as NY, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As the song goes, if he can make it here, he can make it anywhere .... !

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

Honestly, now that I've seen him in a number of interviews, watched his demeanor on the bench, etc., I think he actually may suffer from depression - as in the actual mental illness. Given that depending on whom you talk to, something like 5-10% of the population suffers from this affliction to varying degrees, it's entirely possible. If that's the case and he's actually getting treatment for it since he came to NY, you could finally see him pull those flashes together into a solid career.

Pure, unadulterated speculation on my part - but reading between the lines and watching his body language, I have to admit that it's the first thing that popped into my head.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:50 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Christensen definitely has a lot more swagger to his game than he did the first 9 or so games he played with us and didn't have a point.

It's all about confidence with a fringe player like Christensen who's been passed around like that through the league so far.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Pakeha

I have been watching this guy since junior so have seen him a lot. He is just a quiet guy; incredibly intense about hockey and I think Sather gets it with Erik- he needs to assert himself and blow his own trumpet a bit more - get out of his shell a bit. He is definitely not clinically depressed.

Erik has to score goals or make plays to be a top 6 guy, simple as that. Torts nailed it when he said that only Christensen and Gaborik have the skill on the team to score the second Christensen goal against Tampa Bay. The skill is there. BTW, as much as I like Theo Fleury I am not sure he could comment about "toolboxes"

The big knock on Erik has always been consistency - that is why he never went in the first round. However, he has shown in his career that he can get very hot and for extended periods. While he has yet to do that in the NHL I still believe that this player will get better and better with age (its a maturity thing).

I think playing with Gaborik and Prospal has given him a lot of confidence. I like the way he has been playing for a while now. The Tampa game was a bit of a coming out points-wise, esp with Gaborik not being on the line.

Lets see if he can keep it going - Rangers have a tough schedule to complete he season.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
the thing with lisin is....he just isnt that good. not very good hands, not very aware on the ice. not a particularly good shot. he does have a lot of speed and can hustle, but thats about it.
I don't understand why we're not seeing improvement though. His problems should be coachable -- the lack of awareness, and improving his shot. His speed is something that can't be gotten regardless of coaching. Improving bad/dumb play should be fixable.

His shot % this season for the rangers isn't horrible -- 7.3%, which actually isn't too bad on this team, although that's not counting the countless opportunities he didn't take a shot when it was a golden chance, or the shots he fanned on.

If his hockey IQ is improved he should be at least a 20 goal / season guy. He has the ability to create breakaways...

One of the big problems on this team is the lack of moderate scoring guys. We have 20 goal / season guys, but they're ALL underperforming.

You'd think that we'd be a much better team then last year because of gaborik (last year's team looked a lot like this one except with gomez instead of gabby), but it seems like the rest of the players dropped their production by about the amount gaborik adds...

Avery's on track for for about 8 goals less then average, drury about 15 goals less, higgins about 10 less, kotalik maybe 7 less. That right there is 40 goals short of "expected" production from 4 players. So we're basically blowing all of gaborik's goals into making up for underproduction by the rest of the team.

Last edited by Hockey Team: 02-14-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old
02-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, now that I've seen him in a number of interviews, watched his demeanor on the bench, etc., I think he actually may suffer from depression - as in the actual mental illness. Given that depending on whom you talk to, something like 5-10% of the population suffers from this affliction to varying degrees, it's entirely possible. If that's the case and he's actually getting treatment for it since he came to NY, you could finally see him pull those flashes together into a solid career.

Pure, unadulterated speculation on my part - but reading between the lines and watching his body language, I have to admit that it's the first thing that popped into my head.
It's something I've noticed as well, I just don't know how seriously people would've taken it.

Rarely smiles, shoulders slumped usually, quiet demeanor, etc. I personally think you're onto something.

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

I prefer Maloney's analysis to Micheletti's but Maloney just has some verbal ticks that get annoying after awhile.

And Maloney has a more apparent bias,and dislike of certain players. He critiqued Dubinsky to the max today.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Christensen is useless as a 3rd liner unless on an exceptionally deep team. When he's not surrounded by offensive talent, he's invisible. He needs to prove he's really top 6 or I don't want him next year.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

That may actually be very well possible.

Think about how you'd feel if you were essentially fired 3 times in 3 years. 2 trades and a waiving.. the waiving was probably the hardest on him since it's basically saying "you're a terrible player, nobody wants you". I doubt I'd be clinically depressed over it, but I seriously doubt I'd be playing my best game all the time.

Treatment for depression is crap anyway. What EC needs is to feel like he's a good, valuable player, not someone who's going to be passed around the league to fill some temporary holes on some team's roster.

I personally can see where he's coming from. Last year at my job, there were some organizational changes that screwed me over. Basically I went from doing meaningful 1st rate work to just doing 3rd rate grunt work that nobody else wants to do. So I quit bothering to show up on time, started taking a lot of sick days, and basically am trying to do as little work as possible until I find a new job. It's not that I wasn't capable of doing the work, it just completely crushed any motivation I had.

If you haven't been in this situation.. you have no idea how hard it is to drag yourself out of bed to go to a dead end up job where you'll get no appreciation for anything. I'm sure hockey players have some similar problems with their motivation when they're constantly worried about getting traded/dumped to the minors.

Old
02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
NYR Viper

I actually like the way he plays and would love for the Rangers to bring him back. He is one of the very few players on this team who can make a play and set up a teammate. I understand he might not be the "prototypical" 3rd liner but has anyone else seen that EC has changed his stride a little bit since he has gotten here? It looks much closer to Gaborik's.

The guy has chemistry with the best player on this team, there is nothing wrong with letting them continue to play together so as to spend some money on some other depth. Not every 1st liner has to be a superstar, he is smart and has the tools to be a solid top-6 guy, he just needs the confidence and I think Torts and Slats like him. He is a keeper, at least for another season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
1 year for 1 million. Lock him up.
I don't see why a player who was almost put back on waivers in January needs to get such a significant raise. Yes, Christansen made the most of his time here, but to me, a 10% raise is more than enough. This organization has to stop overpaying for potential as much as it needs to stop overpaying for veterans

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
XLJ

Christensen has done a nice job it was a nice pickup by Sather. He has probably earned himself another contract with a nhl team next year, good for him he seems like a nice guy. But so far in his career he has only showed he can be an effective player playing with a superstar. So if they dont plan on Christensen playing with Gaborik next year I would not resign him.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Fataldogg

Definitely need to keep him. Solid all around play, great skater, creative passer, good puck handler, strong at face offs, has a lot of offensive upside and plays well defensively. He also plays well with Gaborik. On just about any team in the NHL he would be a solid 3rd line center. On this team, with his offensive upside, he can handle playing in the top-6. If he and Gaborik continue to grow, I'd sign him for a MAX of $1.1 - $1.2 million but I'd prefer to have him at under $1 million.

I don't know why a player who his talent set is fearful of not being able to play in the NHL. A lot of teams can use a player like him. I know he has been bounced around. Anyone care to explain?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote