HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Christensen

Old
02-15-2010, 01:47 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I guess it like the old adage goes " You can't teach goal scoring."
Good thing he knows how to already.

54-54-108 in 67 games his junior year in the juniors.

18-15-33 in 61 games his 2nd year with the Penguins - 11:38 TOI

He was one of the big pieces in the Marian Hossa trade. Had he stayed with the Pens, he would have developed quite nicely but getting thrown into that mess in Atlanta... that not working out and bouncing to Anaheim (where he manages 2-7-9 in 17 games) but somehow doesn't make the team starting this year... I don't get this notion that he's not an NHL calibre player or that he's just some fringe scrub. His confidence took a hit not making Anaheim's starting roster (Hmm... I wonder if the Saku Koivu signing had anything to do with that. Anaheim has a checking line and he's not someone you exactly stick on your 4th line) and now he's finding his confidence. His development is getting back on track. I give him 1 yr at 750k + minimum ~10% raise. If he can bring in the noise and/or funk, extend him appropriately.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
Is it my TV or is the feed messed up on MSG? Also, EC had a good game tonight he looked really confident out there. He just seems like a depressed guy that sort of gives up on himself. Also wanted to say I LOVE Maloney as an analyst..he's so much better then Michaletti..is it permanent?

I'm a Devils fan yes, but first and foremost I'm a hockey fan if anyone wants to know why I care.
Yup. Watched the game with my father today and he said that he wished Maloney did every game instead of Micheletti who repeats himself so painfully much.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

maloney is a better analyst, but he is stuttering, stumbling, bumbling and inarticulate. I like what he has to say, i HATE the way he says it. he has the worst segways EVER...if he was the regular analyst i might have to mute the broadcast.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I prefer Maloney's analysis to Micheletti's but Maloney just has some verbal ticks that get annoying after awhile.

And Maloney has a more apparent bias,and dislike of certain players. He critiqued Dubinsky to the max today.
I think Maloney is just much more honest. Micheletti is too politically correct for my liking. Everybody is "a really great guy too!! just a great, great guy!"

Maloney isn't afraid to call a player out for a dumb play, call a ref out for a bad call, etc.

He isn't perfect. He said "involved" about 12 times today, but for me, he's worlds ahead of Micheletti in terms of knowledge of today's game as well as keeping me entertained. With Micheletti, I seriously get ANNOYED to the point where for a while one of my MSG channels (theres multiples on FIOS) had no announcer sound and I preferred watching without announcers at all because of him.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:36 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Christensen is useless as a 3rd liner unless on an exceptionally deep team. When he's not surrounded by offensive talent, he's invisible. He needs to prove he's really top 6 or I don't want him next year.
Yeah, because we have so many players that have already proven they are top 6 talent. Or let's just sign another UFA to top 6 money, that must make him a top 6 player, huh?

Of course Christensen isn't the greatest player, but given our available talent, I really can't see how anyone wouldn't want him for cheap next season over a Kotalik like UFA signing.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:13 AM
AJRanger

I'd definitely like him back next year at anything around his current salary - in fact, assuming Prospal's not dealt for a pick, i'd like both back playing together.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Yeah, because we have so many players that have already proven they are top 6 talent. Or let's just sign another UFA to top 6 money, that must make him a top 6 player, huh?

Of course Christensen isn't the greatest player, but given our available talent, I really can't see how anyone wouldn't want him for cheap next season over a Kotalik like UFA signing.
Yeah, pretty much this. Right now the Rangers are playing a bunch of third liners (or at least 2nd line/3rd line tweeners) in their top six. It's not like they truly have no room in their lineup for someone like Christensen if he comes cheap (just make him sign his qualifying offer). If he doesn't work out, no worries, it's easy enough to get rid of him. If he does work out, then great!

I'm not really expecting him to suddenly become a legit top six player, though. I just think it's worth the risk on a team that probably isn't going to be able to stack itself full of legitimate top six players in the next offseason.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I'm in the minority here. I don't care how little he makes, he's not NHL talent. If it weren't for the Rangers center ice situation being so pathetic he would be AHL fodder.

I mind of agree with you. He knows this is his last shot in the NHL. I do think he has played well enough that someone will trade for him or we will re-sign him.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
OK, so is he better than Dubinsky?

I'm just asking...
Different, obviously, but I did ask myself asking the same question from the standpoint of offensive production alone. Since 1/1/10, 4-7-11 for EC vs. 6-8-14 for Dubinsky.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
nanook of new jersey

Send a message via AIM to nanook of new jersey
i think its interesting that no one is talking about him getting shopped at the deadline. i like him for this team, but i can see him getting shopped.

nanook of new jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I dont think the return for him would be that much. I'd rather roll the dice and keep him, being that he's a RFA.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook of new jersey View Post
i think its interesting that no one is talking about him getting shopped at the deadline. i like him for this team, but i can see him getting shopped.
Probably no team did, but if some other team tried to claim him, we can't trade him this season before he is offered to those clubs

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

He's really in no situation to refuse whatever we want to give him (salary wise if we want to keep him).

I would like him to stay for cheap... if that happens... great.

But he knows this is his last chance... minor raise is all it should take.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:42 AM
KRM

Really like Christensen, liked him when he was with the Pens, and said it was a good pickup as soon as we got him. I want to see him resign, and if he doesn't get a contract in the NHL I hope Frölunda offers him a good contract.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
I enjoyed Maloney as well. I don't mind Micheletti too much, but Maloney is the man. The only guy who tells it like it is - in fact he swore (said damn) during the broadcast and probably got in trouble for being too blunt haha.

But yeah, he's got great hockey knowledge and despite being a huge Rangers homer, also admits penalties when the Rangers are at fault or when other teams make great plays.
i dont mind joe either, but love maloney.

also, outside of usa in other english speak countries - damn is like a super light curse word that most people dont even think is one. don's candianness probably coming thru

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I'd definitely like him back next year at anything around his current salary - in fact, assuming Prospal's not dealt for a pick, i'd like both back playing together.
Even if we deal Prospal, I won't be surprised at all to see him re-sign here in the off-season.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
EC is a strange player that I haven't quite figured out. Guy can play on the top-6 and be productive, yet put him in the bottom 6 and he disappears. I've never seen a player's production/effectiveness be so reliant on a top-6 role. Cheechoo maybe?
No, Cheechoo's game is reliant on Thornton.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:55 PM
ThirdEye

Ok, Christensen has impressed me lately, but right now I am going to be forever wary of players that have never really put it together in their careers who go on hot-streaks. 99% of the time they come crashing back to earth all too soon

I like him better than Voros and Lisin at this point though. Unlike those two he actually seems to have a measurable hockey IQ

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Reportedly it was more that he had some injury problems and surgery and was never the same after that

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
OverTheCap

The problem with Christensen is that he needs to be in the top 6 to be successful.

And if your team has Christensen in it's top 6, then that team isn't very good.

The Rangers should seek to improve next year, not stay the same. Re-signing Christensen should not be a priority.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Ok, Christensen has impressed me lately, but right now I am going to be forever wary of players that have never really put it together in their careers who go on hot-streaks. 99% of the time they come crashing back to earth all too soon

I like him better than Voros and Lisin at this point though. Unlike those two he actually seems to have a measurable hockey IQ
I think this is a myth. Christensen had a great career ahead of him until he got traded to Atlanta. An Atlanta team that was a bottom 5 team. It's not like they played Christensen with Kovalchuk like he is playing with Gaborik now. In Pittsburgh, he was a 3rd line player on a good team. In Atlanta, he was a 3rd line player on a bad team (they had their top two line fillers). Most likely he was playing on lines with serious NHL fringe players. I call that a road-bump.

Rich Peverley could be said to be a fringe player in Nashville but given the opportunity to play with Kovalchuk has surprisingly become a legitimate NHL player.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ec has talent. i like his overall game. hes very smart with the puck and hes a strong skater.

he needs to be kept around as he is a good value for this team. hes cheap and hes talented.

hes one of the few young guys we have who has honest offensive abilities and who can play as a 1c or 2c now. today.

keep him.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think this is a myth. Christensen had a great career ahead of him until he got traded to Atlanta. An Atlanta team that was a bottom 5 team. It's not like they played Christensen with Kovalchuk like he is playing with Gaborik now. In Pittsburgh, he was a 3rd line player on a good team. In Atlanta, he was a 3rd line player on a bad team (they had their top two line fillers). Most likely he was playing on lines with serious NHL fringe players. I call that a road-bump.

Rich Peverley could be said to be a fringe player in Nashville but given the opportunity to play with Kovalchuk has surprisingly become a legitimate NHL player.
Christensen has said it a number of times that when he first went to ATL, he WAS indeed put with Kovalchuk. In his own words, he "wasn't ready" for that type of opportunity.

Either way, he's only 26. That may seem old consider we've got kids like DZ and AA playing their butts off, but 26-27 is when most NHLers really seem to figure it out and get their game truly together. Not everyone can be a wunderkind at 18/19, even though we've been spoiled as hockey fans with the likes of OV, Sid, Malkin, Toews, Kane, etc. etc. I think it's lead to far too much pressure on younger players, especially those that were high picks. Look at Rob Schremp. Everyone thought he would NEVER cut it as an NHLer, and the Oilers felt the same way. At the age of 23. He's been doing just fine with the Islanders.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Cheechoo was actually very good in San Jose before Thorton. He just decided to suck for no reason.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I gather looking at his career stats and being shuffled around that his problem is not that he is a difficult player or problem player because he is quite articulate and brite. But that he lacks the drive to compete nightly and live up to his obvious potential, therefore teams are giving up on him.
I don't really think that's why he has bounced around. He was traded from Pitt to ATL because ATL wanted a good young player coming back for Hossa, which they deemed Christensen could be. Then ATL shipped him off to ANA to try to get younger with prospect Eric O'Dell.

Obviously he didn't do too well in ANA so they waived him. But, since Christensen was young, and had talent, but wasn't a superstar, he made prime trade bait in a big deal, which he was used for (at least in the Pittsburgh deal). For the ANA deal, the Ducks were a team looking to make a push, and O'Dell didn't fit their plans as much as Christensen could help in the immediate, so again the trade "made sense" rather than just a change of scenery dump, especially considering ATL wasn't going anywhere fast, and was hoping to bring back a decent prospect for the future. Don't forget, O'Dell was an early 2nd round pick, so he has some talent, even though HF has him ranked as ATL's 5th best prospect at 6.5C.

Anyway, I feel like EC fits the mold of a "traceable" more so than a guy lacking in the heart/drive department. He has been great since coming to NY. Don't forget, if it wasn't for an amazing play by Robidas (I think), he'd have another goal to his credit, and he's come awfully close a number of other times. The same can be said for anyone of course, but my point being that he has done a good job creating offense, rather than just mooching off of Gaborik.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote