HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Christensen

Old
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan in PGH View Post
Cheechoo was actually very good in San Jose before Thorton. He just decided to suck for no reason.
There was a reason. He had several injuries and surgeries and just never completely recovered. He had sports hernia surgery and never regained his agility.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, now that I've seen him in a number of interviews, watched his demeanor on the bench, etc., I think he actually may suffer from depression - as in the actual mental illness. Given that depending on whom you talk to, something like 5-10% of the population suffers from this affliction to varying degrees, it's entirely possible. If that's the case and he's actually getting treatment for it since he came to NY, you could finally see him pull those flashes together into a solid career.

Pure, unadulterated speculation on my part - but reading between the lines and watching his body language, I have to admit that it's the first thing that popped into my head.
I'm no psychologist, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Christensen has said it a number of times that when he first went to ATL, he WAS indeed put with Kovalchuk. In his own words, he "wasn't ready" for that type of opportunity.

Either way, he's only 26. That may seem old consider we've got kids like DZ and AA playing their butts off, but 26-27 is when most NHLers really seem to figure it out and get their game truly together. Not everyone can be a wunderkind at 18/19, even though we've been spoiled as hockey fans with the likes of OV, Sid, Malkin, Toews, Kane, etc. etc. I think it's lead to far too much pressure on younger players, especially those that were high picks. Look at Rob Schremp. Everyone thought he would NEVER cut it as an NHLer, and the Oilers felt the same way. At the age of 23. He's been doing just fine with the Islanders.
I would never deny they didn't try but how many games or even shifts do you think Atlanta's coaching staff wait before they gave him the hook. I can't say myself but I imagine he only got a few games with Kovy before being banished to play with the likes of Brett Sterling and Brad Larsen. yeah, uh huh. And if he wasn't ready, did they work on HIS game? Atlanta is a very short sighted franchise IMO and playing with fringe players didn't help develop his abilities or the abilities of their young players either.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Block More Shots

He needs to be resigned. If he doesn't find a place on our 2nd line, he'll be a solid fit for the 3rd line center.

I cannot complain with what he brings. He's one of the few Ranger players with pure goal-scoring/playmaking abilities. It's very evident in the way he plays.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
ec has talent. i like his overall game. hes very smart with the puck and hes a strong skater.

he needs to be kept around as he is a good value for this team. hes cheap and hes talented.

hes one of the few young guys we have who has honest offensive abilities and who can play as a 1c or 2c now. today.

keep him.
This. And at an estimated cap hit of $800 - $850k, he's exactly the kind of guy to keep around, rather than 1.4mm Brashear type cap hits.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
He needs to be resigned. If he doesn't find a place on our 2nd line, he'll be a solid fit for the 3rd line center.

I cannot complain with what he brings. He's one of the few Ranger players with pure goal-scoring/playmaking abilities. It's very evident in the way he plays.
I don't know if he would excel in that role.....

Than Ur making Dury your full time 4th line center?

The problem with our center postion is that we have on legit point producing guy in Jokienen, Prospal splits his time at wind & Center, Anmisnov is learning & I have no issues with him, Dube is up & down. None of these guys I just mentioned is a legit number 1 center. We have a bunch of 2's and 3's.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

that wrist shot (his 2nd goal vs. tampa) was really a thing of beauty, and reminded me a lot of a one Mr. Petr Nedved when he was at his best.

I think EC obviously has skills, it's just a matter of him keeping his confidence high. I like the kid from what I've seen so far this season. Let's keep him here...maybe we can find a diamond in the rough and he'll develop into a solid 2nd line center.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

When Christensen is playing with confidence, he actually looks like Gaborik (similar build, similar skating stride, similar quick release)

Definitely want him re-signed because it won't cost much at all and he's really got the tools to be a good fit on this team.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 06:58 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
When Christensen is playing with confidence, he actually looks like Gaborik (similar build, similar skating stride, similar quick release)
Woah! Slow down there. He's nothing like Gaborik. He's not as good a skater. He's not as smart. He doesn't have a nose for the net like Gaborik. He doesn't even have Gaborik's physicality and competitiveness. And he's shot doesn't compare to Gaborik's (release included).

You are right that he could be a solid, inexpensive addition next year if he shows he's found a niche here.

02-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Woah! Slow down there. He's nothing like Gaborik. He's not as good a skater. He's not as smart. He doesn't have a nose for the net like Gaborik. He doesn't even have Gaborik's physicality and competitiveness. And he's shot doesn't compare to Gaborik's (release included).

You are right that he could be a solid, inexpensive addition next year if he shows he's found a niche here.
I suppose we can call him a poor poor mans Marian Gaborik haha!

But still, my opininon is the same of him. A skilled player with low confidence. Can he play wing? If so it'd be easier to get him in the top six.

Personally I'd like them to resign him perhaps 2 yrs at 650k-750k?

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post

But still, my opininon is the same of him. A skilled player with low confidence. Can he play wing? If so it'd be easier to get him in the top six.

There's definitely talent and ability. Let's hope it's just a matter of confidence.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Woah wait, what!?

Old
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post

How many centers can we convert to wing?

It's a numbers game someone is going to have to go evantually.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I like Christensen. I wouldn't mind keeping him around. He could be a nice third line guy if he keeps working hard and gains confidence.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Relax. Nobody said he's the next Gaborik or even close to the same level. I said he LOOKS like Gaborik out there when he's going.

You're telling me that Christensen's 2nd goal against Tampa didn't look like a textbook Gaborik play? He took the puck, sped up the ice past a defender, and with a backchecking Stamkos right on his ass, he got off a very quick release and made the goalie look bad. His release DOES compare to Gaborik's. When he's on his game, he's skating and making things happen with the puck. Nobody is saying EC is elite. I didn't say his shot or release was on the same level at all. But it is certainly COMPARABLE. You act like we're talking about Gaborik's shot versus Avery's or Voros'. Those aren't "comparable." EC's absolutely is.

The word similar doesn't mean "the same." Don't know what you got so bothered by.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Relax. Nobody said he's the next Gaborik or even close to the same level. I said he LOOKS like Gaborik out there when he's going.

You're telling me that Christensen's 2nd goal against Tampa didn't look like a textbook Gaborik play? He took the puck, sped up the ice past a defender, and with a backchecking Stamkos right on his ass, he got off a very quick release and made the goalie look bad. His release DOES compare to Gaborik's. When he's on his game, he's skating and making things happen with the puck. Nobody is saying EC is elite. I didn't say his shot or release was on the same level at all. But it is certainly COMPARABLE. You act like we're talking about Gaborik's shot versus Avery's or Voros'. Those aren't "comparable." EC's absolutely is.

The word similar doesn't mean "the same." Don't know what you got so bothered by.
Was he similar on one goal? Sure, OK.

That doesn't make him similar as a player.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Furthermore, if we can somehow get a legit 1st line center, I think Christensen could fit as a very good 2nd line center with perhaps Dubi and Grachev on his wings. With Gaborik, Prospal (I'd bring him back for 2 years. He's a real leader on this team and brings so much passion. He's great for the youth of this team) and whoever we can get as 1C on the top line.

Maybe we trade Anisimov in a small package for Richards which leaves Avery, Dru, Cally for the 3rd line and Prust, Boyle, Shelley? on the 4th. Seems that everyone is in their right spots rather than the current team where Cally is often asked to be a 2nd liner and Dubi sometimes a 1st liner.

This is wishful thinking but... (for next year)

Anisimov, Gilroy/Girardi, 3rd for Richards (with the hope that we re-sign him to a more reasonable cap-hit contract before he hits UFA again)

REDDEN TO HARTFORD / HELL

Prospal Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Christensen Grachev (switch Dubi and Grachev if you like)
Avery Drury Callahan
Prust Boyle Shelley

Staal DZ
Girardi/Gilroy Rozsival
Jurcina / Wallin / UFA / Sanguinetti

Now of course, I don't know if Grachev will be ready for the NHL, let alone 2nd line duty, but he was very close to making the team out of camp this year, and although he hasn't exactly LIT UP the AHL, I think a year of the pro-game will make him that much more ready to impress in camp next year. A man can hope.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 02-15-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Was he similar on one goal? Sure, OK.

That doesn't make him similar as a player.
I also didn't say that he was similar as a player.

I said he looks like Gaborik when he is on his game and really going and making things happen with the puck.

Aside from Gaborik having a superior skillset, he's also a very consistent player. We know that Christensen's biggest flaw is consistency. But when he's really moving his feet and letting his skills show, excuse me, but he looks (visually on the ice) similar to Gaborik (because of the speed Christensen is CAPABLE of, and the quick release he is CAPABLE of added to the fact that they do have a similar body build, at least in a jersey.)

Old
02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
For Christensen to be as good a third line center as everyone's touting him as, he needs to work on his foot speed, forecheck, hitting, and defensive zone coverage. His defensive zone coverage seems to have gotten better as time has gone by with us, the other aspects could use work though.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I like him.

Absolutely have to keep him and see if he can continue the production and play.

The only thing is, I worry if he needs to be with top line guys.

Not that it really matters, because if he can play like this consistently, you can keep him in the top 6.

I look at his talent, and there is no reason at all he can't be a 20 goal, 40 point scorer on a consistent basis.

Maybe its confidence that held/holds him back.

But he has undeniable talent.

Maybe he's like Stephen Weiss, and it took him this long till he finally started to put it together?

I'd give him every opportunity to be a 20 goal guy next year.

He won't hurt you defensively.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
For Christensen to be as good a third line center as everyone's touting him as, he needs to work on his foot speed, forecheck, hitting, and defensive zone coverage. His defensive zone coverage seems to have gotten better as time has gone by with us, the other aspects could use work though.
Like some have mentioned, he seems to be the type of player who thrives when you put him with better players and more ice time. I don't think he's an ideal 3rd line center. I like a 3rd line center to be a more defense-first, solid all around center. Ideally, Jordan Staal. More realistically for us in the short-term, Chris Drury. I think if he can gain some consistent confidence, he's got an opportunity to be a very solid 2nd line center. He's not going to really elevate the game of his linemates, but if you put him with talented players, he's capable of holding up his end of the playmaking and scoring.

Old
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would never deny they didn't try but how many games or even shifts do you think Atlanta's coaching staff wait before they gave him the hook. I can't say myself but I imagine he only got a few games with Kovy before being banished to play with the likes of Brett Sterling and Brad Larsen. yeah, uh huh. And if he wasn't ready, did they work on HIS game? Atlanta is a very short sighted franchise IMO and playing with fringe players didn't help develop his abilities or the abilities of their young players either.
You are right - iI dont think he played more than 3-4 games with Kovy in a stretch. He was bounced around every line. The real issue with him in Atlanta was that he got injured just being traded by Pittsburgh, then he did his shoulder in and he played all the following season with a shoulder that impacted his ability to handle and shoot the puck. He had surgery finally at the end of last season and I think is only now coming back to the point where he was when he played in Pittsburgh with a real blistering shot.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
ohbaby

I like EC and the skills he has. He is good fit on the first line, but lets not kid ourselves. If he were playing with 3rd line wingers, and 3rd line minutes,... he would disappear. AA is a perfect example. He's still a kid, but has been invisible and been losing alot of battles in the corners. Hell of a forechecker though, pressing the puck carriers. But seems to have lost all confidence in his scoring ability.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I'm not as high on EC as some of you guys here.

I do like the skill he has, but the only reason why it stands out is because of the team he's playing on. It really shows us how much talent we lack.

I'm all for keeping him, since he can produce at a bargain. But I don't think 1C is where he belongs. Not even 2C.

He's a band-aid.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
bscharf

ec

easy to complement him after that game against tampa. for the price hes a good deal. im indifferent whether he stays or goes.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote