HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blade Pattern Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
AintLifeGrand

vCash: 500
Blade Pattern Thread

Discuss all blade related things here.

Question:

Could someone lay out the pros and cons of Curved vs more straight blades- For Instance, while looking at the Easton Blade pattern spread sheet I saw that Derek Roy has an intense curve on his stick. I just purcahsed an Easton Stealth with the Iginla Curve and much to my dismary the curve is a bit more subdued.

What is the advantage of having a more flat, not as sharply curved blade like the Iginla Pattern- Better Slap Shots, Backhands. I guess I'll be sacrificing puck handling?

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:48 AM
AIREAYE

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1050635

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Discuss all blade related things here.

Question:

Could someone lay out the pros and cons of Curved vs more straight blades- For Instance, while looking at the Easton Blade pattern spread sheet I saw that Derek Roy has an intense curve on his stick. I just purcahsed an Easton Stealth with the Iginla Curve and much to my dismary the curve is a bit more subdued.

What is the advantage of having a more flat, not as sharply curved blade like the Iginla Pattern- Better Slap Shots, Backhands. I guess I'll be sacrificing puck handling?
The names you see on retail curves are there purely for marketing purposes, they have nothing to do with the curves that the players actually use. For example, Crosby's actual curve is a short blade with almost no curve, and almost no loft:

But the retail "Crosby" curve in the Reebok line is just a Sakic/Hall clone, an semi-deep, open mid curve with a touch of toe.

If you want an actual idea of what curves various pro players use, you can check out this website:
http://patterndb.org/main.php?g2_itemId=14

As for the advantages of a deep vs shallow curve, a deeper curve can be nice for general puck control on the forehand, and traditional wrist shots, while a flatter curve is good for general puck control on the backhand, backhand shots, and passing accuracy. What works best for slap and snap shots depends on your technique. You've also got to consider the face of the blade, whether it has a lot of loft or little-to-no loft, in general more loft will help you get the puck up quickly in tight, and helps for saucer passes, but some people have trouble shooting low, stick handling, and receiving passes with very open blades. Also important is the rocker on the bottom of the blade (more rocker means you can use the blade well at a wider variety of distances from your body, but some people prefer to have more blade on the ice with a flatter rocker), the shape of the toe (total personal preference, most people prefer round toes though), and the length of the blade (personal preference). For more detailed info, AIREAYE provided a link to a really detailed post by Jarick that should tell you all you need to know.

If you have no idea what curve to get, a Sakic/Hall curve (or one of its clones, like the Bauer P92, Warrior Kopitar, Rbk Crosby, etc.) is a good place to start, it's the most popular curve on the market, most people find it easy to use for shooting, puck handling and passing.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm considering unsticky-ing those threads because nobody reads them anyways.

FOR ME, more curve = easier to stickhandle and maybe a hair more spin on the puck, less curve = easier to make passes and backhands.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
AIREAYE

LOL DON'T, it makes it easier for others to link them. Keep them up please!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

FOR ME, more curve = easier to stickhandle and maybe a hair more spin on the puck, less curve = easier to make passes and backhands.
They're well written and contain lots of good info, leave em up I say.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

more curve tendency to shoot high

less curve mroe tendency to shoot low

more bigger curves are open face and the lesser curves are closed

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
more curve tendency to shoot high

less curve mroe tendency to shoot low

more bigger curves are open face and the lesser curves are closed
The Drury is about as flat as it gets (kinks at the heel, but not much curve to speak of), and is also pretty much the most open retail curve you'll find (other than the curves based on Ovi's pro pattern). Curves like the Iginla, P88, Datsyuk, etc. are fairly deep, and pretty closed.

I don't really agree with any of this. I don't think curve depth is related to loft, and I don't find I shoot higher in general with deeper curves, only with more open curves (and even still, it's pretty easy to adjust for moderate amounts of loft).

Old
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm probably going to review the billion stickies up top. Would like no more than about five.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Drury is about as flat as it gets (kinks at the heel, but not much curve to speak of), and is also pretty much the most open retail curve you'll find (other than the curves based on Ovi's pro pattern). Curves like the Iginla, P88, Datsyuk, etc. are fairly deep, and pretty closed.

I don't really agree with any of this. I don't think curve depth is related to loft, and I don't find I shoot higher in general with deeper curves, only with more open curves (and even still, it's pretty easy to adjust for moderate amounts of loft).
see i consider a big curve, drury sakic ext

i see small curves are the PM9, iginla, zetterburg such

Old
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Old
01-26-2012, 11:16 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post

Fair enough. For me a big curve is anything where the blade really curves, regardless of the loft, and a small curve is one where the blade is fairly straight, regardless of the loft. Just semantics I suppose.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
nightfighter

Sorryto highjack the thread a bit... I'm actually trying to decide between the P88 Kane and P92 Backstrom curves right now while looking for new sticks. They have similar curves but I'm worried the more open face on the Backstrom will mean I shoot high all the time. Has anyone had experience with the two blades and how do they compare?

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:40 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Sorryto highjack the thread a bit... I'm actually trying to decide between the P88 Kane and P92 Backstrom curves right now while looking for new sticks. They have similar curves but I'm worried the more open face on the Backstrom will mean I shoot high all the time. Has anyone had experience with the two blades and how do they compare?
I've used a P88 before and have a P92 now. I would say they are pretty similar. The P92 for me seems to elevate a little more in close, but I have a tougher time getting the backhand up and it is really tough to saucer with it. I think you'll be fine with either but I'd recommend the P88 for a more all around curve.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For sure. I'm a P92 guy (right now at least, and for the last about year). Used P88 extensively earlier in my "career".

I like the open face of the P92 because I feel open faces give me significantly harder snap shots, which are 99% of what I take in a game. With an open face, you cup the puck more early in the shot, which lets you load the stick a bit more, getting power into the shot. If you try to cup the puck with a neutral or closed blade and then take a snap shot, it's either going to top the puck like a shanked shot or else it's going to lay on the ice. Otherwise you have to shoot more from the toe of the blade, which will have significantly less power on the shot.

If you don't cup the puck, it's going to have little power and sail straight up into the air. Which is actually a great way to clear pucks, another benefit of the P92.

Yes, yes I know you can take any shot high or low from any curve, but the open face just plain gives harder snap shots in my experience. Drury > Sakic > P88. I stick with the Sakic because the neutral heel portion is easier for passing and the mid curve makes protecting the puck and toe drags easier for me.

Also the rockered heel gives a lower apparent lie when stickhandling with the puck further away from the body, while the higher lie near the toe means you can shoot closer to the body. It's a little more complicated and won't work well for someone who's used to a P88 or PM9 and wants to both carry and shoot the puck further away from the body. But if you can adjust, you can get the puck in tight and really lean in to the shot, getting additional power. Plus the toe drag snap shot throws off the goalie's angle.

I can't pass worth a crap so I don't care about that Also my backhander is equally mediocre with all curves. Get good power on the shot but always miss the net for some reason. I can go bar down with power in warmups just fine but get a goalie in the net and my backhander is guaranteed to go into the chest or wide.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
vapor11

I have always used the Sakic curve for aslong as I can remember but my last stick was a vapor x20 with a P88..great liked it but when I purchased 2 x40's recently I decided to go back to the P92 and I somewhat regret it..The reason I switched is I found it easier to toe drag with P92 but everything else is easier with the P88..I feel more in control of the puck..the P92 has been good to me but I find the curve is a little too much now..I have accidentally flinged the puck 20ft in the air a couple times trying to get alot of power into my wrister....I still use the x20 for outdoors..When I purchase another stick down the line I will probobly go back to P88

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
nightfighter

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm leaning towards the P88 for now and maybe in the future I'll pick up a P92 to just play around with.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:13 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
having used both the p88 and the p92, i honestly prefer the PM9, its a much better all around curve. i found the p92 was good for stickhandling and saucer passing, but as a dman i had a hard time keeping my shots low. for the P88, i found that shooting quick was weird and the curve jsut didnt appeal to me

the PM9 is fantastic curve for my all around game, passing is great, shooting i can put the puck anywhere i want, easy to keep low and stickhandling took a little to get used to but i am much more comfortable with it than i was the P92 or P88

my two cents

Old
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
OpenIceHit42

I had been using the Sakic curve for quite some time and wanted to tinker with using the Getzlaf. I sold the Getzlaf blade I bought just as quick as I bought it. I couldn't shoot/pass worth a damn with that thing.

I now use the Kopitar/Draper in Warrior.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote