HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is this a penalty

Old
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Semin

vCash: 500
Is this a penalty

So my team was playing and the guy on their team was skating with the puck behind the net, he had his head down. And one of my players on my team went to go hit him and the kid turtled and took out his knees. I couldn't believe it. I have never seen in my life some kid just drop down and take out someones knees. And the funny thing, he did the exact same thing later in the game to the same player on my team.

I've never seen that happen in my life while playing. Should that have been a penalty?

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:09 PM
wondeROY

In the NHL that is indeed called "Clipping", you dont see it called very often. You should notify your local officials of the rule, its possible they are not aware of it. But the official rule is:

45.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player or goalkeeper may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player or goalkeeper may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
So my team was playing and the guy on their team was skating with the puck behind the net, he had his head down. And one of my players on my team went to go hit him and the kid turtled and took out his knees. I couldn't believe it. I have never seen in my life some kid just drop down and take out someones knees. And the funny thing, he did the exact same thing later in the game to the same player on my team.

I've never seen that happen in my life while playing. Should that have been a penalty?
It is a penalty and is called clipping as the above poster mentioned.

... it is something that coward Steve Ott who plays for the Dallas Stars gets called for sometimes and was suspended for earlier this year if I remember right.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Semin

Thanks for the answer guys. I couldn't believe that it wasn't a penalty. It was pathetic because the ref was standing right there and did nothing.

Old
02-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
Thanks for the answer guys. I couldn't believe that it wasn't a penalty. It was pathetic because the ref was standing right there and did nothing.
Well that certainly would not be the first time a ref does that

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Stripes

Hockey Canada's rulebook does not have the Clipping rule, however we are more than able to apply the Tripping rule to that chicken **** crap.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Hockey Canada's rulebook does not have the Clipping rule, however we are more than able to apply the Tripping rule to that chicken **** crap.
It is still used in the CHL so I don't see how it wouldn't apply to other leagues in Canada.

02-15-2010, 08:13 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Regarding a different tactic, but also not sure if a penalty: picking off an opponent.

Meaning, like in the NBA where you set a "pick" to free up a teammate to dribble toward the basket, can you do the same in hockey?

An instance such as you are criss-crossing with a teammate, and you drop a pass directly behind yourself and then start pushing the d-man backward; I know a WR cannot do this in the NFL, and in basketball you can set a pick - but cannot move when doing so - is this legit in hockey, at any level?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:36 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Regarding a different tactic, but also not sure if a penalty: picking off an opponent.

Meaning, like in the NBA where you set a "pick" to free up a teammate to dribble toward the basket, can you do the same in hockey?

An instance such as you are criss-crossing with a teammate, and you drop a pass directly behind yourself and then start pushing the d-man backward; I know a WR cannot do this in the NFL, and in basketball you can set a pick - but cannot move when doing so - is this legit in hockey, at any level?
Borderline interference depending on the situation, perhaps. Can't really say without seeing exactly how you go about it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

you definitely cannot set picks in hockey. if you are standing still and someone runs into on their way to trying to get to the puck i dont think they will call it. its really up to the refs discretion for that one

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Hrad

If you're setting a pick in hockey you have to pass it off as accidental, if you can get away with it it's seriously useful

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
you definitely cannot set picks in hockey. if you are standing still and someone runs into on their way to trying to get to the puck i dont think they will call it. its really up to the refs discretion for that one
In most non check leagues that's explicitly permitted. They refer to it as "angling" I believe.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
In the NHL that is indeed called "Clipping", you dont see it called very often. You should notify your local officials of the rule, its possible they are not aware of it. But the official rule is:

45.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player or goalkeeper may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player or goalkeeper may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.
But didn't MK7117 say that the guy receiving the check got lower and not the guy delivering the check. I think I've heard that lowering your body to avoid a check is a penalty, but I just wanted to point out the subtle difference.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
But didn't MK7117 say that the guy receiving the check got lower and not the guy delivering the check. I think I've heard that lowering your body to avoid a check is a penalty, but I just wanted to point out the subtle difference.
Yes, the guy who was going to get hit turtled and dropped down and took out the knees of the guy on my team who was going to hit him. If I didn't explain that good enough then I'm sorry guys, I typed that when I was still kind of frustrated about that situation.

Old
02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
doobie604

it's a hitting league? i don't think it's called because your teammate went to hit him instead of your teammate carrying the puck and getting tripped up.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
It is still used in the CHL so I don't see how it wouldn't apply to other leagues in Canada.
The WHL, OHL and LHJMQ all have their own rulebooks, which are basically the NHL rulebook with some minor differences. Amateur hockey in Canada from Jr.A and below uses the Hockey Canada rulebook, which does not have the Clipping rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
In most non check leagues that's explicitly permitted. They refer to it as "angling" I believe.
Angling is rubbing an opponent out along the boards without throwing a bodycheck. Setting up a pick a-la-basketball is textbook interference.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post

This is one of the types of "offensive interference" that specifically addressed in the USA hockey rule book. As you describe it, it's a penalty.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote