HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Martin Frk - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2012 Draft)

Old
03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
ginopuck

vCash: 500
He should fit in nicely on the Red Wings' top line next season.

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:41 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopuck View Post
Yeah because we know that Red Wings doesnt take their time with prospect and that he will go straight to the NHL without time in the AHL...

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Jurky
I heart Tats

Quote:
Not sure if serious....

Marty will spend 2-3 years in the AHL to round out his game before seeing the NHL, that's the Detroit way. I don't always agree with it but in this case I think it's probably the best course of action.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
TheTechNoir

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Not sure if serious....

Marty will spend 2-3 years in the AHL to round out his game before seeing the NHL, that's the Detroit way. I don't always agree with it but in this case I think it's probably the best course of action.
No question. Look no further than fellow moosehead alumni Marchand for a player who needed AHL badly before NHL. Frk may have shown signs of growing up already but when comparing their skill set and personality Frk needs it even more (and will receive more due to wings development system). And lol at him being on their first line in his rookie season. I guess it's not impossible but odd thing to look forward to for that fella unless he's joking.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:32 PM
RomersWorld

Quote:
lol give me a break.

Justin Abdelkader is the top line winger and no way will he be replaced. Look...Frk and his 8 point game in the QMJHL is nice and all but we are talking about Justin Abdelkader who just scored 3 goals and had 4 points against the #2 team in the entire NHL. Abdelkader is clearly a stud who will be on the top line in Detroit a long time.

Now maybe they will switch Frk's position to get him on the top line next year...but he won't replace Justin freaking Abdelkader...come on now. MAYBE they will buy out Pavel Datsyuk and move Martin Frk to Center so that he can bring his 8 point per game potential on the top line NEXT TO JUSTIN ABDELKADER....how could they be stopped? I honestly have no idea. Wow... definitely feels good to be a Wings fan for sure.

RomersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
lol give me a break.

Justin Abdelkader is the top line winger and no way will he be replaced. Look...Frk and his 8 point game in the QMJHL is nice and all but we are talking about Justin Abdelkader who just scored 3 goals and had 4 points against the #2 team in the entire NHL. Abdelkader is clearly a stud who will be on the top line in Detroit a long time.

Now maybe they will switch Frk's position to get him on the top line next year...but he won't replace Justin freaking Abdelkader...come on now. MAYBE they will buy out Pavel Datsyuk and move Martin Frk to Center so that he can bring his 8 point per game potential on the top line NEXT TO JUSTIN ABDELKADER....how could they be stopped? I honestly have no idea. Wow... definitely feels good to be a Wings fan for sure.
I don't get it? Is this sarcasm? Anger?

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
lol give me a break.

LOL, clearly missed the

Anyway, Datsyuk is dragging that line up and down the ice, it is the only reason u see Abdelkader on that line. IMO, the wings fans got screwed with how Holland dealt with the Franzen-Hossa situation, should of taken Hossa 10/10, yet didn't want to pay the dough, so what evs.

Can't wait to see the Leafs smash this Abdelkader scrub next season.

Anyways, Frk looks offensively ready to play with the big club, and can clearly play with skill players, I'm pretty sure Datsyuk can carry him the way he does Franzen defensively and could benefit from learning a few things from the magic man himself.

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
XO

Feels good to be a Red Wings fan! The future is bright!

XO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:17 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Definitely an offensive upgrade to Abdelkader. He's not a very quick skater though, even at the junior level.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:32 PM
wingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Definitely an offensive upgrade to Abdelkader. He's not a very quick skater though, even at the junior level.
Frk vs a healthy Marek Tvrdon. Who has more upside and raw skill?

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Holland is Amazing

Quote:
Dan Cleary probably has about 4-5 years left in him. Then and only then will Frk get his chance. Your's truely, Babcock

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Realistically Marty should probably season his game at the AHL level. There are still elements of his game that aren't quite pro ready. His shot, puck handling and size are ready for the pro game. But he needs to mature a bit between the ears I think, and probably continue to improve his skating (who doesn't).

If he can put it together, he's going to be sniping at the NHL level for a lonnnng time.

Cut and Dry Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
Frk vs a healthy Marek Tvrdon. Who has more upside and raw skill?
I go with Tvrdon, but I am probably his biggest fan of the Wings fans around this board.

Frk does have an elite shot though, his shot probably makes 90% of the NHL guys jealous.

Tvrdon can really skate for a man of his size, Grand Rapids is going to be absolutely loaded next year. Even with Nyquist gone and Tatar likely up, they have just an absolute ton of talent coming over

Jarnkrok (might actually just make the Wings out of camp)
Frk
Tvrdon
Pulkkinen
Sproul
Ouellet
Quine

Maybe Jensen and Marchenko too. That is sick especially with Sheahan, Ferraro and Jurco as likely hold overs from this years team.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut and Dry Sports View Post
Realistically Marty should probably season his game at the AHL level. There are still elements of his game that aren't quite pro ready. His shot, puck handling and size are ready for the pro game. But he needs to mature a bit between the ears I think, and probably continue to improve his skating (who doesn't).
Yup. Also, he could use some time getting used to the speed of the game in incremental stages. In the Q he's still able to use skill/speed/strength to make up for some of the times he's a bit slow reading and reacting to what opponents are doing around him when he's without the puck, and that will be exposed, imo, without transition steps between here and the NHL. It helps to have guys like MacKinnon and Drouin as in-house "role models" on the team, because they are excellent examples of top notch offense without appreciable sacrifice to the defensive side of the puck. Skating isn't bad at all, but could definitely use some explosiveness in the first steps if he's going to battle successfully in the corners at the next level(s).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Do people really think that Abdelkader is going to be a top line winger on a long-term basis?

I'd certainly hope Babcock isn't that stupid...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:53 PM
ginopuck

He's been great at the Memorial Cup so far.

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Garyboy

Marty "The One Man Party" Frk will be fun to watch in Grand Rapids next season.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:15 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Marty "The One Man Party" Frk will be fun to watch in Grand Rapids next season.
Yep. I think with a year or two of seasoning this guy could be a real surprise. He's came along ways this season and improved in many areas of his game. He's been great in the Mem Cup as well.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Btw, I'm a habs fan and I have to say, you people in Detroit know how to draft. Ryan Sproul: defenseman of the year in the CHL. Xavier Ouellet that has progressed so well in the Q after his draft. Martin Frk has become a top scorer in the Q... Hate you.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:42 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Detroit does a good job drafting low in first rounds, seems like they take the guy who was highly hyped who fell in the draft and it seems to be working out for them....Frk is going to need a year or two in the minors for sure, his skating needs work, his hands and shot are elite and his passing is good, he is strong on not scared to play physical, he has all the attributes to be a good player on the top 2 lines in the NHL, he just needs to work on his skating and a few years minor should allow him to do that without killing his confidence, me personally, I am a fan of not rushing players to the NHL, this is your future investment why rush it, players like James Sheppard, Piere Marc Bouchard are two guys who come to mind who were rushed wayyyyy to fast to the NHL and neither have turned out like they should, so I like to see Frk go play in the AHL, his skills are there.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:55 PM
mapleleaf979

He might have the hardest shot in the CHL. His one-timer in the final tonight was NHL level skill. Detroit once again gets incredible value from the second round. Frk has an NHL build,NHL shot, has hands and can skate. He doesnt look too far off from the NHL. Id imagine 1 year in the AHL. Detroit loves to groom prospects though. A future Top 6 for the Red Wings.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:55 PM
RJQuack

He was one of the most hyped players to put on the Moose sweater in 2010, because of all the drama with the Czech team and his scouting report from there too... His concussion ruined one of his three years here, but I have enjoyed watching him develop and turn into a player who looks like he could have a great top-6 career in the NHL. Tonight was probably the last time we see him in a Moose uniform. I'll remember him for his shot, never seen anything like that live in junior... Hardest shot in the CHL, next sopt the AHL.

**** Detroit, lol.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Will always remember his 1st year at the WJCs U20 when he was a underager with a full cage on. Played like a train for the Czech team and his best moment was when he speared big Erik Gudbranson of team Canada hahaha

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
He might have the hardest shot in the CHL. His one-timer in the final tonight was NHL level skill. Detroit once again gets incredible value from the second round.
People talk about the late rounds, but Detroit is soon going to be known for the second round. Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk, Tatar, Sproul, Ouellet. What's scary is none of those guys have slowed down yet. They're all getting better every year.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Btw, I'm a habs fan and I have to say, you people in Detroit know how to draft. Ryan Sproul: defenseman of the year in the CHL. Xavier Ouellet that has progressed so well in the Q after his draft. Martin Frk has become a top scorer in the Q... Hate you.
Just coming to that realization...

Wink, wink from Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote