HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I buy shoulder pads for beer league/beginner level?

Old
02-16-2010, 12:42 AM
densetsu

vCash: 500
As has been said several times before... proper equipment is necessary in lower-level leagues. In higher-level leagues you can get away with skipping on a few pieces of gear because the guys around you know what they're doing. Not so when most of the guys around you are fumbling around on the ice.

e.g. an opponent makes a sharp turn and doesn't see you in his new path until the last second. A beginner may freeze up or otherwise not have the skating skills to avoid you, and a collision ensues. A veteran would be able to get out of your way.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
No way. If it's not a checking league then shoulder pads are not needed. If you feel you must though, get small, thin ones.
just because it's a non-check league doesn't mean someone won't check him. not to mention that if he falls and goes hard into the boards sometimes shoulder pads mean the difference between a sore shoulder and a dislocated shoulder.
get some shoulder pads. you don't need top of the line but you should have something there to absorb some of the impact.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Shoulder pads make falling not hurt as much . Just because you're in a non-checking league doesn't mean you won't get hit every now and then. There are times where I get plowed over by some big dudes.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:06 AM
IniNew

I no longer wear shoulder pads in beer league. I started out wearing them and just find it much more comfortable to play without. I have even tried using the Sherwood pads everyone talks about and end up taking them off after warm-ups.

So far out of 2 years in beer league hockey the worst "injury" I've had was a bruise on my shoulder from a guys cage. He skated into my path and when I tried to cut he cut the same way... he planted his head into my shoulder, and got a penalty after it.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Do what you want, but be prepared for the consequences.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
just because it's a non-check league doesn't mean someone won't check him. not to mention that if he falls and goes hard into the boards sometimes shoulder pads mean the difference between a sore shoulder and a dislocated shoulder.
get some shoulder pads. you don't need top of the line but you should have something there to absorb some of the impact.
Shoulder pads do nothing to prevent dislocated shoulders. I am living proof of that, lol.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
...if he falls and goes hard into the boards sometimes shoulder pads mean the difference between a sore shoulder and a dislocated shoulder...
Shoulder pads will not prevent from a dislocated shoulder from going into the boards.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Badger36

Get the pads. Its better to be safe than sorry. As the others have said, when playing with beginners you are even more likely to have contact because they arent going to be as good at skating or stick handing as more advanced players.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
SouthpawTRK

I would recommend getting shoulder pads especially if you are getting into a beginner league/beer league. Even if you are the best skater on the ice, you cannot control others that are less skilled on the ice. My local rink requires full pads in their recreational league, as well as their stick/puck sessions.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:50 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Shoulder pads do nothing to prevent dislocated shoulders. I am living proof of that, lol.
I'm not saying it won't still happen if you go in hard enough. some injuries can't be prevented no matter how much padding you have on but if you go in not as hard the pads can absorb some of the impact and maybe, just maybe you'll just be sore as opposed to having something dislocated or worse, broken.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
I no longer wear shoulder pads in beer league. ....

Just my thoughts on the subject. Do what you want, but be prepared for the consequences.

This is not a personal attack, just a comment on some players's thoughts on equipment.

I never understood guys who played without shoulder pads, full shields, elbow pads etc. From the comments I read here, it is as if some guys think that they are so good, they can avoid deflected shots, getting tripped, having any contact at all etc.

As you said above, be prepared for the consequences. In a perfect world, it would be nice if that would be real, but I know that there are some guys who would choose to go without pads and when they get hurt, they will point the finger at someone else, and maybe go even further.

...and I think a players personal comfort is way over hyped. Maybe because my equipment fits, but once the puck drops, I am focussed on the game, and my equipment seems to be the farthest from my thoughts except my blades on the ice and my stick in my hands.

To the OP... my 2 cents, just get the pads and think about hockey, not equipment.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
This is not a personal attack, just a comment on some players's thoughts on equipment.

I never understood guys who played without shoulder pads, full shields, elbow pads etc. From the comments I read here, it is as if some guys think that they are so good, they can avoid deflected shots, getting tripped, having any contact at all etc.

As you said above, be prepared for the consequences. In a perfect world, it would be nice if that would be real, but I know that there are some guys who would choose to go without pads and when they get hurt, they will point the finger at someone else, and maybe go even further.

...and I think a players personal comfort is way over hyped. Maybe because my equipment fits, but once the puck drops, I am focussed on the game, and my equipment seems to be the farthest from my thoughts except my blades on the ice and my stick in my hands.

To the OP... my 2 cents, just get the pads and think about hockey, not equipment.
I think a lot of comes from what people see the pros wearing. They think hey if the pros can wear flimsy shoulders and play full contact I should be able to get away without anything in my beer league. Key thing they are missing is these guys are pros and devote their lives to playing hockey.

Joe you are bang on when it comes to comfort. Gear is designed to play hockey in. I find it hard to believe these things are designed in a way that would inhibit someone from playing the sport it's designed for.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I personally don't see the difference in mobility that some people claim. I have pretty light shoulder pads, although they have plenty of protection. I never even feel them while I play.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
FloPoErich

In the same token, when playing in a beginner or beer league, should one wear a visor or a full cage?

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you've got teeth, I'd recommend a cage.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:33 PM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloPoErich View Post
In the same token, when playing in a beginner or beer league, should one wear a visor or a full cage?
oh hell yes! if Steve Yzerman can't get out of the way of the puck what makes you think you (not you personally) can?

Old
02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you've got teeth, I'd recommend a cage.
I'll second that. If there are guys who don't keep their sticks on the ice (and there always are) you'll see plenty of sticks face level high.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Joe Cole

If you are not getting paid to play, and have full medical coverage in case of crushing your jaw, teeth, losing your eyesight.... you have to really question your priorities if you do not wear full face protection.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah but think how much cooler you'll look in beginner league rocking your visor.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
FloPoErich

Quote:
Yeah but think how much cooler you'll look in beginner league rocking your visor.
Sarcasm?

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Elshupacabra

I would if I were you. I play mid level, non-checking beer league and I've been smoked right in the chest a few times with shoulders, elbows, sticks, definitely glad I had the shoulders on.

Cage too, I took a puck off the cage in my first game of the season and have taken several sticks to the cage since then.

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Gino 14

Start with the full line of gear, cage and shoulder pads, everything. It's a lot nicer to decide after you've played for a while that you have too much protection rather than finding out too soon that you cheaped out and don't have what you could have.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshupacabra View Post
I would if I were you. I play mid level, non-checking beer league and I've been smoked right in the chest a few times with shoulders, elbows, sticks, definitely glad I had the shoulders on.

Cage too, I took a puck off the cage in my first game of the season and have taken several sticks to the cage since then.
yup, i've taken two pucks off my cage just sitting on the bench this season!

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Start with the full line of gear, cage and shoulder pads, everything. It's a lot nicer to decide after you've played for a while that you have too much protection rather than finding out too soon that you cheaped out and don't have what you could have.
This kind of summed it up for me. I'm not rich by any means, but to not spend ~ $40 on shoulder pads when they could have stopped a slapshot that hits me in the chest instead of the goalie would be nothing short of lunacy.

Though I have to admit of all the gear I've bought in the last 2 weeks - which is everything - the shoulder pads were the lowest line of any of the items. It just got stuck in my head that so many highly experienced players I asked at the local rink said that shoulder pads were the least important piece of gear. Cannot figure out for the life of me why, because without it, how can someone stand in front of the goal waiting for a rebound off of a slapshot and be certain that the D-man at the point isn't going to nail them in the gut with the puck?

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 02-18-2010 at 09:14 AM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Probably because the old school guys wore tiny shoulders and most of the coaches taught to shoot low.

Old
02-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Probably because the old school guys wore tiny shoulders and most of the coaches taught to shoot low.
And those aren't the guys he'll be playing against.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote