HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring back Jagr?

Old
02-23-2010, 05:17 PM
tjs252

vCash: 500
The problem is, Jagr's strongest tie to the Rangers (Renney) is now gone.

I want it to happen, I just don't think it's likely.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
The problem is, Jagr's strongest tie to the Rangers (Renney) is now gone.

I want it to happen, I just don't think it's likely.
Thats really the most important thing.

Why would Jagr come back to the NHL just to play for a total ******* like Torts?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats really the most important thing.

Why would Jagr come back to the NHL just to play for a total ******* like Torts?
Why did Prospal?

In Jag's case; Money, and the city of NY.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Why did Prospal?

In Jag's case; Money, and the city of NY.
To be brutally honest, Prospal couldnt get another NHL job.

We dont have any cap space, so what money?

But lets pretend for a minute the Rangers have cap space and Vinny Prospal signed with us for 1.1 million out of the goodness of his heart. Ive always said that for every player Tortorella gets through to, he loses two players. Maybe Prospal responds to outlandish behavior from his coach.

Do you think Jagr is the same way?

If you do, you havent been paying attention, especially during his stint in Washington.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
My point is that if we offered Jagr more cash than any other team, he would come here regardless of Tortorella. not advocating it, just sayin

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
My point is that if we offered Jagr more cash than any other team, he would come here regardless of Tortorella. not advocating it, just sayin
You're wrong - just sayin'. Players of Jarg's statute are the league of their own. They dictate the terms up until they able to contribute. In NY that contribution could be just presence (see Mark Messier).

I disagree, however, that Totrs is an uncontrollable a-hall. He could hold his horses depending what player he is dealing with (or what reporter, as a matter of fact). He uses his temperament as an excuse , but it is a poor one, as most know. Should Torts treat Prospal the way he've done to MDZ, there would be no relations they are both so proud of. Torts can behave as prescribed (see Avery, for instance), in other words. Thus, Torts can handle Jagr the way Jagr wants. Having said that, I still think that Jagr's return is far fetched.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

So after getting flattened by Ovechkin on Sunday, Jagr left last night's game with an upper body injury and did not return.

Is this someone we should be attempt bringing back at 38 years old?

Old
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
So after getting flattened by Ovechkin on Sunday, Jagr left last night's game with an upper body injury and did not return.

Is this someone we should be attempt bringing back at 38 years old?
because 38 year olds are the only players Ovechkin has ever flattened or who have suffered injuries.

comon dude. Jagr still looked very much like a 25-30 goal scorer out there, putting up 55-60 points...we desperately need that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
because 38 year olds are the only players Ovechkin has ever flattened or who have suffered injuries.

comon dude. Jagr still looked very much like a 25-30 goal scorer out there, putting up 55-60 points...we desperately need that.
We do. Id be much more interested in trying to avoid a nostalgia act in trying to acquire secondary scoring.

I wanted Jagr back in 2008, but his demands were ridiculous. I find it hard to believe it wont be the same type of situation this time around.

Old
02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
We do. Id be much more interested in trying to avoid a nostalgia act in trying to acquire secondary scoring.

I wanted Jagr back in 2008, but his demands were ridiculous. I find it hard to believe it wont be the same type of situation this time around.
This is one of the biggest reasons for me why I don't want him back.

Messiers return was a mess. Countless aging big name veterans came in here and failed during the playoff drought. A nostalgia act it would be, regardless of his role. Surprised people want to go down that road once again, even IF he looks ok to play at that age and even IF he comes cheap.

It has nothing to do with his skills, paycheck or role on the team. I simply dont want him here again, because it IS AGAIN.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

if its a 1-2 year deal in the 4-5 million dollar range (per year), I have no problem doing it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This is one of the biggest reasons for me why I don't want him back.

Messiers return was a mess. Countless aging big name veterans came in here and failed during the playoff drought. A nostalgia act it would be, regardless of his role. Surprised people want to go down that road once again, even IF he looks ok to play at that age and even IF he comes cheap.

It has nothing to do with his skills, paycheck or role on the team. I simply dont want him here again, because it IS AGAIN.
so if sather for some reason traded henrik, you wouldn't want him back on the team because it would be his second stint?

unless we get kovalchuk and volchankov there will be no improvement next year, why not give jagr a 1-2 year deal. jagr coming back here has nothing to do with all the free agents we brought in during the drought, totally different situation.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

did anyone see the sadness and look on jagr when finland scored the second goal? He shook his head like this was it for his international career.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
did anyone see the sadness and look on jagr when finland scored the second goal? He shook his head like this was it for his international career.
It basically way. That team was good enough to compete for gold, no way they should've been shutout in the quarters. Kipper just really showed up, and it was a sad ending for Jags as an Olympian.

Hopefully, he can come back here and show everyone in the NHL that he can still put up 25/25.

I think slapping an A on his chest and giving him Anisimov could be two of the best things that could happen to this team.

He'd add levity to the locker room, something it seems this team doesn't have, leadership on ice, and he'd be a great role model for AA. They both play sort of similarly, have similar body types (though Jag's figured out how to put on weight, AA hasn't as of yet), and Jagr has shown that he is very good with youth when necessary.

Combine all that with the ability to give us a legitimate secondary scoring threat, and better balance our lines, I'd take him in a SECOND. 2 to 4 million a year, two year deal... yes please.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Kostik

Jagr's performance was half after Ovechkin's hit.
It's reported he has neck, head and groin issues.
Ovy got him good.
Jagr can be nice 2nd liner for next one or two years.
Problem might be, that he never played lesser role(well except this Olympics). Question is, how he can handle he is no go-to-guy anymore. In several interviews he said he has no problem with that, but who knows..
And i don't think he is worth more than 4M$ per year...and nor i think Jagr will demand significantly more.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Jagr's performance was half after Ovechkin's hit.
It's reported he has neck, head and groin issues.
Ovy got him good.
Jagr can be nice 2nd liner for next one or two years.
Problem might be, that he never played lesser role(well except this Olympics). Question is, how he can handle he is no go-to-guy anymore. In several interviews he said he has no problem with that, but who knows..
And i don't think he is worth more than 4M$ per year...and nor i think Jagr will demand significantly more.
He needs to go to chiropractor while in Vancouver. I was told there is no such a treatment in Russia.

38 is not old, wingers do not skates as much as Cs. He will not come to NY, however, IMO.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

According to this Russian Source, Jagr is done with his KHL team:

Quote:
Life.ru
Czech star Jaromir Jagr will not renew the contract with Omsk Avangard. After the defeat of his incompetent team in the 1 / 8 Cup Gagarin, 38-year-old striker has decided to leave Siberia.

- Jagr is very upset with his team out of the playoffs - a source told Life Sports. - After that he finally decided to leave the "Avangard". Jaromir wants to play a year or two in the NHL, yet he has many offers from there.
Of course any Russian source should be taken with a grain of salt.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
According to this Russian Source, Jagr is done with his KHL team:

Of course any Russian source should be taken with a grain of salt.
Why? Sport is quite open as opposed to business or politics out there from what I heard.

The recipe is simple: 1) Fire Torts, 2) Get Renney back or hire MacT; 3) Sign Jagr and Jokinen. That may work.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why? Sport is quite open as opposed to business or politics out there from what I heard.

The recipe is simple: 1) Fire Torts, 2) Get Renney back or hire MacT; 3) Sign Jagr and Jokinen. That may work.
Because so many of the rumors that come from Russian print sources--"legitimate" or not--turn out to be absolute crap the vast majority of the time. It's nothing anti-Russian, they just seem to be less reliable than North American sources when it comes to reporting hockey (which is saying something, since our sources suck too).

Anyway, no to Jagr. Unless we magically find ourselves with a Cup-caliber roster prior to the start of next season, he'd just be a band aid. And an old, scabby band aid at that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Because so many of the rumors that come from Russian print sources--"legitimate" or not--turn out to be absolute crap the vast majority of the time. It's nothing anti-Russian, they just seem to be less reliable than North American sources when it comes to reporting hockey (which is saying something, since our sources suck too).
There's no reliability anywhere in this business. Russian sport journalists are not inferior to western colleagues the way their political counterparts are. That was the point.

Quote:
Anyway, no to Jagr. Unless we magically find ourselves with a Cup-caliber roster prior to the start of next season, he'd just be a band aid. And an old, scabby band aid at that.
We're not winning anything any time soon. We need Jagr to provide a secondary scoring to Gbaorik from 2nd line in order to get through the season without a regular pain. I am okay with losing in 2nd round. Getting to "next level" was a mistake that would be hard to correct.

Old
03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
NYR Viper

I would be open to bringing Jags back if it was a reasonable contract demand just for the simple fact that Dubinsky could use a year or two to continue learning from him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

imo we will be the same team next year and the year after (unless of course sather gets fired and contracts come off the books). so why no to jagr? i think at the least he would make the games more exciting. and if it is the same team jagr could only help.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

yeah, those are two terrible ideas

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:44 PM
dedalus

Recycled Jagr.

Whoo boy! Color me enthusiastic! At his age and a year removed from NHL game play, the sky's the limit. He might get us all the way to game seven of the first round.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
There's no reliability anywhere in this business. Russian sport journalists are not inferior to western colleagues the way their political counterparts are. That was the point.

We're not winning anything any time soon. We need Jagr to provide a secondary scoring to Gbaorik from 2nd line in order to get through the season without a regular pain. I am okay with losing in 2nd round. Getting to "next level" was a mistake that would be hard to correct.
I didn't say they were inferior, I just said the sources were less reliable. And honestly, it's true. Probably due to the fact that the majority of the posters at HF are unfamiliar with Russian media, being North American and all. That being the case, people find one report from some random, somewhat reputable looking site, run it through Google Translate, and post it. And of course, it ends up being garbage.

I'm not saying there aren't reliable sources in the Russian sports media. I'm sure there are. But most posters at HF have no idea what is legit and what isn't, hence Jumbo saying that we ought to "take it with a grain of salt."

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote