HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: who are you pulling for in the olympics

Old
02-16-2010, 01:06 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
YES! we need more people with a misplaced sense of patriotism who wave the flag behind their keyboards!

aww man that's not a misplaced sense of patriotism. rooting for your nation's kids, does not equal rooting for the jingoism of a national culture.

but when it all comes down to it, those kids on USA, have grown up in hockey leagues just like we did, grew up on the same cartoons as we did, played hard and well to break into a sport dominated by people of other nationalities, and are now proudly and selflessly going to put their heart and soul (and skill) on display as what a bunch of american kids can do when given the opportunity to come together in a short period, put their own needs second, and embrace the self sacrifice required to bring the highest award back home for their people to see with pride.

that's what all the good of sports is all about. not the goofy sweater on their backs, or the crest on their sweaters, but the heart and soul of a man willing to go hard 60 mins night after night against the world's elite, to be a part of something much larger than himself.

Jingoism or as you call it: misplaced patriotism, is the beliefe that only your culture is true and just. This kids are not there to prove which nation's ideas of hockey is better than anothers. Their there to engage those other nations shift after shift, to prove that the heart of the athlete can supercede the talent of an athlete. And that kids much like us, how've grown up and live much like ourselves, have the reolve and the commitment to overcome the "big dogs" and bring glory to us as a nation, and immortal glory to themselves for being good enough and skilled enough and fighting hard enough to get it done.

I root USA because I've played on the same rinks as some of those guys. I had a mom driving my ass to practice at 5am and my dad and sisters sacrificed their time so i could play this sport. Much like those headed into a war of a tourny. This isn't the stanley cup. There's no contracts on the line, no money. Just our best, taking on the world's best, to show the doubters, that YES, American hockey, is filled with heart and passion. And we will make you earn your ice, and we will make you pay for your mistakes.

everything that is good and just about nationalistic pride is in the heart and minds of those american kids lacing up and intent on completing the job that they set out to do.

My dad was born in italy, and grew up from his late teens to mid 20's in montreal. And on the day he got his USA citizenship, he cracked the biggest smile i'd ever seen from him. If you ever met my dad, you'd know smiles are not part of the repetoir. Tonight I asked him who he was rooting for and he said: c'mmmmmmon, let our boys go make us proud.

And for that reason my house, with as much love as we have for Lundy, Jags, and any else who wear the broadway blue, in this house, the USA jersey will be on, and we will root our boys to victory.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:26 AM
levski87

I'm pulling for USA and Russia.

I bet Ovechkin and co. are already hitting up the vodka shots. Getting that pregame fuel

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:50 AM
RichterLundqvist

I'm loving everyone jumping down other's throats because they choose to not root for the US.

It's not the old days, these aren't your amateur kids running around out there. A bunch of highly paid mercenaries grouped solely by where they were born, and in some cases they twist the rules for that.

That said, I will be rooting for the USA but don't see them going much of anywhere. Will pull for Sweden, and then anyone not from Canada (I love Canada, but the thought of Crosby and the umpteen bajillion commercials with him going lolol i won a gold medal lolol makes me want to vomit)

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:00 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I can't believe I will probably be happy when Crosby scores or Brodeur gets a shutout.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
If Lundqvist wins the gold do the Rangers win something?
If Team USA wins the Gold,do the Rangers get something?

These are professional hockey players. If they were amateurs,USA all the way. Rooting for Ron Wilson and some of the players on the team USA is too much. Sorry.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
I have to admit that you completely won me over with this arguement. I am officially pulling for a hank gold and a drury 20 goal olympics(for trade value of course).
Maybe Ron Wilson and Brian Burke will convince Drury the Leafs are the perfect team for him.

Old
02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The ESPN guys have Sweden winning the Silver

Quote:
Scott Burnside
Gold: Canada. Playing at home will be a blessing not a curse, and the team's depth and youth will bring home gold and erase the stain of a seventh-place finish four years ago in Torino.

Silver: Sweden. Henrik Lundqvist gets his mojo back and the Swedes, as deep down the middle as any team in the tournament, will come close to repeating as gold-medal champs. Close, but not close enough.

Bronze: United States. When it gets down to one-and-done time, we like the Americans and their youthful grit and speed to outlast more talented competition like the Russians and Czechs for the bronze.

Pierre LeBrun
Gold: Canada. The pressure will be enormous, no question; but Martin Brodeur in goal and Scott Niedermayer on the blue line will give the host team the kind of calming influence Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman provided in 2002.

Silver: Sweden. Henrik Sedin, Nicklas Backstrom and Henrik Zetterberg are the top three centers. Henrik Lundqvist is in goal. These are the defending Olympic champions.

Bronze: Russia. This isn't the medal they came to Vancouver for, but somehow I think the KHL politics in naming this roster may come back to bite them.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/blog/_/n...n-say-o-canada

Old
02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Does any one know where I can catch the game? I live in Jerz, and according to FIOS the game is on MSNBC at 12:00pm. Witch it can't be because it's on at 12:00 PST. I cant find any other listings in the guide for team US................

Staals Eye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 07:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Leave politics and personal criticisms out of this, please. Everyone can root for whoever they want, and this isn't the place to questions anyone's motivations or allegiances. So stop. You want to tell us why you are/aren't rooting for the USA? Great, but leave the aforementioned elements out of it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Durbo20vT

I'll be rooting for team USA obviously, and anyone playing against canada...

For some reason, I'm also really excited to watch the Czech vs Slovakia game tomorrow...

Durbo20vT is offline   Reply With Quote