HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the team Yzerman GM's...

Old
02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Will the team Yzerman GM's...

... immediately become your second-favorite team?

Depending on how it goes for Team Canada, I think it's almost a slam-dunk that Steve Yzerman is going to be getting a ton of calls this offseason to take over some teams.

So, if he's running a team, are you cheering for them?

I am. Unless it's the Ducks or something like that.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Helmer

What if he is GM-ing for the Wings? Holland, I believe, mentioned that he would be retiring when Lidstrom does. That leaves the Wings without a GM in the near future.

Thats the best possible scenario I believe. But if Stevie does GM for another team, they would probably very quickly become my second favorite team. I'll hope he won't be with the Ducks or Dallas.

Helmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:50 AM
sparr0w

I think Stevie will be very selective. I think he's mentioned that any team he moves to, should he leave the Wings, he wants it to be his last stop. IMO, he'll hold out for a Canadian franchise or stick it out with us until Kenny takes Devellano's spot.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

I'm cheering for USA. Don't know why.

I believe hockey can use a boost in the USA and them winning gold would be huge

Edit: that wasn't the question HD asked. Uhm, I just hope that Steve will take over Holland job. But where does that leave Jim Nill?

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:36 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I would want Steve to have some kind of role for the franchise. One of the greatest players to every play for the Red Wings, so if it is not GM, then some kind of ambassadorial role or something would be nice.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
sarcastro

Only way Stevie gets to be GM for the Wings is if Holland gets promoted, and even then he'd have to win the job over Jim Nill, who has put in the time and would make a great GM himself.

If he really wants to be a GM he's going to have to do it somewhere else. I hope it's a team like Boston, as it would be good to see him with an Original Six team that we won't have to root against. Seeing him in Colorado or Anaheim would be devastating.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
tmf2204

Hasn't he talked about not wanting to uproot his kids just yet? And isn't he under contract until the end of the 10-11 season, when Babcock's and Holland's contracts (and maybe Nill's too) are up? I would be surprised to see him leave this summer.

To answer the question: definitely not the Avs or Ducks, and probably not any other Western conference team.

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
guinness
those were the days

I could see Stevie winding up in Ottawa, but I just can't root for the Sens or any other team in that division.

Besides, I already have a second team (the Sharks - **** LA and **** Anaheim). The Sharks remind me of the early-mid 90's Wings, plus I like some of their players.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

I think there's a good chance we lose Steve... I was holding out hope he'd go to the Sens if we lost him, but looks like they're set.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect him to wait indefinitely for Holland to leave his job. One of them will leave eventually, as will Nill. Depressingly.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Would his team become my second favorite? Nah, not really. I wouldn't wish failure on the guy but the idea of a "second favorite" is something I've never been able to get behind with much enthusiasm.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Would his team become my second favorite? Nah, not really. I wouldn't wish failure on the guy but the idea of a "second favorite" is something I've never been able to get behind with much enthusiasm.
Me either... but I think it'd be sort of nice to have a second team to follow, especially if it's in the East. Having Stevie running it would be fun.

Old
02-15-2010, 05:12 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Me either... but I think it'd be sort of nice to have a second team to follow, especially if it's in the East. Having Stevie running it would be fun.
Atlanta Thrashers? Don Waddel is a complete moron and should be fired!

Old
02-15-2010, 06:04 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
Atlanta Thrashers? Don Waddel is a complete moron and should be fired!
I wouldn't wish the Thrashers on Claude Lemieux.

I'm thinking... the Rangers? Sather's got to be on his way out.

Old
02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
I wouldn't wish the Thrashers on Claude Lemieux.

I'm thinking... the Rangers? Sather's got to be on his way out.
I wouldn't wish that on Yzerman. Even he can't ditch the contracts of Redden, Rozival, Drury, Avery, etc.

That team is a complete mess.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:07 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
I wouldn't wish that on Yzerman. Even he can't ditch the contracts of Redden, Rozival, Drury, Avery, etc.

That team is a complete mess.
The nice thing is, the Rags have the money to just put Redden, Rozsival, Drury and Avery in the minors and still spend to the cap, and Yzerman coming in as the GM would give the ownership the cover it needs to do that.

Drury, Avery and Roszival are 'only' under contract through 2012, so they wouldn't have to hide them forever.

That Redden deal is a disaster, though. Wow.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Harnessed in Slums

How about Montreal? I know Gainey just stepped down but I don't know if his replacement is viewed as a long-term answer. The Wings and Habs had an incredible rivalry way back before my time. But they never play each other any more so it would be kind of cool if Yzerman was running the Habs. he'd be a guy running the most successful franchise period who played for and learned the ropes from the most successful U.S. franchise.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:37 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
How about Montreal? I know Gainey just stepped down but I don't know if his replacement is viewed as a long-term answer.
Well, the new idiot in charge there just traded a 2nd rounder to rent Dominic Moore for two months, so he's not exactly proclaiming his savvy for all to see right out of the gate.

Quote:
The Wings and Habs had an incredible rivalry way back before my time. But they never play each other any more so it would be kind of cool if Yzerman was running the Habs. he'd be a guy running the most successful franchise period who played for and learned the ropes from the most successful U.S. franchise.
You know another team that might be jettisoning their management? The Oilers. That one would sting a little, I gotta admit.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
How about Montreal? I know Gainey just stepped down but I don't know if his replacement is viewed as a long-term answer. The Wings and Habs had an incredible rivalry way back before my time. But they never play each other any more so it would be kind of cool if Yzerman was running the Habs. he'd be a guy running the most successful franchise period who played for and learned the ropes from the most successful U.S. franchise.
Montreal would be the biggest probability, IMO.

I guess I would develop a sweet spot for MTL if Stevie Y was the GM; I'm pretty indifferent toward them now and I would love to see what Yzerman could do as an NHL GM.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

You know another team that might be jettisoning their management? The Oilers. That one would sting a little, I gotta admit.
I thought of the Oilers but no one wants to play there. I just couldn't see Yzerman taking up that very difficult task. At least in Montreal he'd be in the same boat as Detroit: players want to play there, there's a rich history, and they have loads and loads of money. I'm not sure about drafting/player development but Yzerman's learned from one of the best in Jim Nill.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
jacK

i wouldn't really give a crap about the team he went to.
if he's a true follower of the Red Wings way, he should bide his time. i wouldn't blame him or hold anything against him if he wanted to skip a few steps and take the reigns somewhere, but i wouldn't give two ***** how he did once he was gone.
he's riding the gravy train here, and we're paying for his education/development into a front-office type. if he waits for Kenny to step into more of a brain-trust roll (Devellano-style), and maybe wait behind Nill if he wants the job for a while, i'm sure the plan is for it to be his team in a matter of time. there's no shame [as Nill has proven] in being a great (see: the best) Assistant GM until that time comes.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:10 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
I thought of the Oilers but no one wants to play there.
Moderately close to where he grew up, though. Unless he got the Cancuks gig, which I don't think would come open (although mayyyyyybe it would) Edmonton is about as close to home as he can get.

Quote:
I just couldn't see Yzerman taking up that very difficult task.
I think the Oilers being in effective disarray would make the position more appealing rather than less so. Greater challenge and whatnot.

The Horcoff contract is beyond stupid, and that deal for Khabi may come back to bite them in the butt, but other than that the Oilers are in pretty good shape cap wise. There's the potential to turn that team around pretty quick with a couple shrewd moves.

Bring Wayne back as a 'special consultant' to the team, land a solid 1b guy to play behind Khabi, get a coach who has a hard-nosed style and stick to it (like, say, Ken Hitchcock) and that team could be a playoff lock really quickly with a few simple roster changes.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Unless he speaks french, I highly doubt we'll see Yzerman as a GM in Montreal..

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
if he waits for Kenny to step into more of a brain-trust roll (Devellano-style), and maybe wait behind Nill if he wants the job for a while, i'm sure the plan is for it to be his team in a matter of time. there's no shame [as Nill has proven] in being a great (see: the best) Assistant GM until that time comes.
Yeah, that would be ideal. I know plenty of franchises have wanted to talk with Jim Nill about becoming their GM but he hasn't interviewed at all. He's stayed in Detroit. We'd probably all be thrilled if the same thing happened with Yzerman passing up those opportunities. I am not expecting that to happen though and hope that I'll end up being pleasantly surprised. I'd be thrilled to see Steve Yzerman eventually become general manager of the Red Wings.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

I think the Oilers being in effective disarray would make the position more appealing rather than less so. Greater challenge and whatnot.

The Horcoff contract is beyond stupid, and that deal for Khabi may come back to bite them in the butt, but other than that the Oilers are in pretty good shape cap wise. There's the potential to turn that team around pretty quick with a couple shrewd moves.

Bring Wayne back as a 'special consultant' to the team, land a solid 1b guy to play behind Khabi, get a coach who has a hard-nosed style and stick to it (like, say, Ken Hitchcock) and that team could be a playoff lock really quickly with a few simple roster changes.
The big concern is signing free agents. I think the Souray and Khabi contracts are a perfect example of how you have to overpay to get a FA to sign there. Then there's the Dustin Penner contract when he was an RFA in Anaheim. He'll crack 30 goals for the first time in his career but he's being paid $4.25mm and the Oil had to give up a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round pick for the honor.

$13.5mm for those three guys who were not Edmonton players. That is a steep price to pay to get guys to sign on the dotted line. Maybe Yzerman would have better luck but there's reason to be skeptical.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
The big concern is signing free agents.

Maybe Yzerman would have better luck but there's reason to be skeptical.
You definitely would have to have a different philosophy there, no question.

Get a tough, hard nosed, blue collar team and a coach like Hitchcock, a couple good goalies, and you don't really have to have a many high profile forwards. Maybe sprinkle a Tanguay or Stempniak in there with a Fedotenko and play a solid defensive system.

I don't think trying to land 5-star UFAs is ever going to be a strategy that will serve Edmonton well.