HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Will the team Yzerman GM's...

Old
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Yeah, that's possible. I just think heading to the Habs who have none of those shortcomings and who play in the East is probably more appealing. I'd prefer to see him stay in Detroit but the timing with the Olympics and Montreal potentially having an opening it was one of the first places that jumped to mind. If it was the 50s or 60s it would be disgusting (I'm guessin), but 50+ years later it probably isn't that big of a deal. Ted Lindsay might rough him up a bit though if that were to happen.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
CC Chiefs*

I just can't see Steve going anywhere. He's a Wing for life.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Birko19

I personally don't think Stevie is ready for a GM job, when Holland get's a promotion, it's better to make Nill a GM and make Stevie an Assistant GM, that way he does not learn the hard way.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:14 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
You definitely would have to have a different philosophy there, no question.

Get a tough, hard nosed, blue collar team and a coach like Hitchcock, a couple good goalies, and you don't really have to have a many high profile forwards. Maybe sprinkle a Tanguay or Stempniak in there with a Fedotenko and play a solid defensive system.

I don't think trying to land 5-star UFAs is ever going to be a strategy that will serve Edmonton well.
I don't think Cap'n Kangaroo is that great of a coach. He didn't work any wonders in Columbus despite the talent level increasing there in recent years.

His next stop is going to be somewhere even worse than Columbus, which will take some effort. Atlanta? Florida? I guess Edmonton qualifies right now but why they would want Hitch I don't know.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Why would anyone want Yzerman as a GM? Being GM for Canada is easy, a six year old could name the roster.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:44 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Why would anyone want Yzerman as a GM? Being GM for Canada is easy, a six year old could name the roster.
Didn't look so easy in 2006.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Didn't look so easy in 2006.
well, Wayne is in a special category.

What I mean is that if random guy from hfboards put together Team Canada, would it be weaker than the one Yzerman picked?
I just do not think that putting together team Canada is enough to get you a GM job in the NHL.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:11 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I don't think Cap'n Kangaroo is that great of a coach. He didn't work any wonders in Columbus despite the talent level increasing there in recent years.
That's largely due to Mason having an amazing year followed by an atrocious year.

I don't think Hitchcock is a great coach either, I just think he has a specific style that would be most effective on a team that struggles to draw high-profile UFAs.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:49 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Something tells me Yzerman would be a terrible fit in Montreal. He's not French and he has no history with their organization. His leash would be so short he could smell the breath of the French tabloid writers.

I wouldn't hold a grudge against him if he went elsewhere to be a GM, in fact it'd be nice if we saw if he's any good at it at another team.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
I wouldn't wish the Thrashers on Claude Lemieux.
I WOULD!!!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
HockeyinHD

Resuscitating this thread due to timeliness.

And yes, if he takes over the Lightning they would be my new 'second favorite team'.

Old
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
CorbeauNoir

I think I'd be pretty devastated if Y packed up and moved anywhere, given how long he's been affiliated with Detroit. The idea of him piecing together a team that opposes us leaves a real pit in my stomach.

I understand that if god forbid he ever did move it wouldn't be out of spite or anything like that, but still...

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:20 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I think I'd be pretty devastated if Y packed up and moved anywhere, given how long he's been affiliated with Detroit. The idea of him piecing together a team that opposes us leaves a pit in my stomach.
That's why if he goes anywhere, I hope it's in the East.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Jussha

we can't be mad at Stevie if he goes to Tampa. You can tell when you look at him that he wants to GM a team, and of course he'd love to GM Detroit, but he knows Holland ain't going anywhere, so he has no choice but to go somewhere else. As fans of the wings and of Stevie for so long, we have to respect his decision if he leaves. I for one will follow Tampa a lot more closely if he does become their GM. Maybe he trades us Stamkos for a 7th rounder lol

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:55 PM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

Don't really have an opinion about Tampa Bay. I like Stamkos and St. Louis. I don't like the idea of Stevie Y leaving, it's nice to have him around the organization, but I guess he wants to move on with his career. Maybe he will be our future GM and is working on it somewhere else.

Hey Stevie, how about hooking us up with Stamkos!

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
Yes. It would be my 2nd favorite team.

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
i wouldn't really give a crap about the team he went to.
if he's a true follower of the Red Wings way, he should bide his time. i wouldn't blame him or hold anything against him if he wanted to skip a few steps and take the reigns somewhere, but i wouldn't give two ***** how he did once he was gone.
he's riding the gravy train here, and we're paying for his education/development into a front-office type. if he waits for Kenny to step into more of a brain-trust roll (Devellano-style), and maybe wait behind Nill if he wants the job for a while, i'm sure the plan is for it to be his team in a matter of time. there's no shame [as Nill has proven] in being a great (see: the best) Assistant GM until that time comes.
still applies.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I don't know that I'd root for an Yzerman team. Depends on who is on the team and what jersey they are wearing.
But I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Stevie raise the cup again!

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:32 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Teams that would become my second favorite team with Yzerman as GM:
Montreal (probably already second favorite)
Columbus (love their arena and arena district, and their jerseys).
Calgary (was once my second favorite team)
Vancouver (Love the city of Vancouver)
Ottawa (hate the jersey, love the town)
Minnesota (the hockey hotbed of America)
Washington (never happen, but I like these guys anyway)
Islanders (wouldn't mind seeing the rebirth of a team that dominated when I was a kid)

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
JackSlater

I would hope that Stevie's team drafts very well, wins every trade it makes and then loses in the playoffs to the Red Wings every year... until he replaces Holland as GM.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:16 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
still applies.
Here's the thing, Holland may GM for another 5-10 years. You'd expect Yzerman to not get his first GM gig until he's 50?

Just think, maybe he'll be the Kyle Quincey of GMs.

Old
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
jacK

Quote:
Here's the thing, Holland may GM for another 5-10 years. You'd expect Yzerman to not get his first GM gig until he's 50?

Just think, maybe he'll be the Kyle Quincey of GMs.
this could be why the Wings aren't getting in TB's way to speak to him after baller-blocking Minny, Toronto, and probably many others from talking to Nill [and Holland] before.
if the Wings want him to stay, Kenny probably knows he's gonna have to step aside before that 5-10 year mark. he can still be executive VP, but let Stevie wear the big boy pants at the negotiating table or when GMs call wanting a 4th round pick for Cory Cross. not that he owes it to this team/town to stick around, but he kinda does. if there's not a realistic chance for him to get his shot as boss-man in the near future, i can't fault him for taking it somewhere else. if so, like i said, good for him but i won't care if he's the next Holland or the next Millbury. he's still somebody else's blessing/curse from day 1, and i don't care which.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Well tough call: Yzerman without the Wings wouldn't be the same otherwise he wants to GM bad so we should be happy for him if he's getting the opportunity.

Personally I hope they pick Nonis don't wanna see the Iceman leaving our Wings.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
this could be why the Wings aren't getting in TB's way to speak to him after baller-blocking Minny, Toronto, and probably many others from talking to Nill [and Holland] before.
The other reasons are Nill could be a) better at what he does than Yzerman and b) content where he is.

Quote:
if the Wings want him to stay, Kenny probably knows he's gonna have to step aside before that 5-10 year mark. he can still be executive VP, but let Stevie wear the big boy pants at the negotiating table or when GMs call wanting a 4th round pick for Cory Cross. not that he owes it to this team/town to stick around, but he kinda does. if there's not a realistic chance for him to get his shot as boss-man in the near future, i can't fault him for taking it somewhere else. if so, like i said, good for him but i won't care if he's the next Holland or the next Millbury. he's still somebody else's blessing/curse from day 1, and i don't care which.
Yeah, I partially feel that way, but I also feel like I want him to be successful. What I absolutely don't want to see is for Yzerman to be a hapless post-playing career failure like, say, Wayne Gretzky. That would make me sad.

So, I want Yzerman to do a good job for his new team, especially if it's in the East... just not too good of a job.

Old
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I don't think this will be an issue since I expect Tampa to hire Nonis, but I'd be pretty bummed if he left. He's a part of the fabric of this area, losing him would be depressing.

I'd rather see Holland made president while letting Stevie wear the big boy pants than lose him.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote