HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Will the team Yzerman GM's...

Old
04-29-2010, 07:39 PM
dtones520

vCash: 500
I'm not sold on the fact that Yzerman wants to leave Detroit. He has been here for nearly 30 years now. His kids are at an age where uplifting them becomes quite a head ache with leaving their friends and what not. He seems like a family guy, so if his family want to stay up here...I'm thinking he just may.

Unless Holland doesn't have any plans of giving up the big chair anytime soon.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

I'm not sure when Lidstrom is planning on retiring, though his abstaining from playing in the Olympics is a strong signifier that he intends to retire in the immediate future; he is such an ardent nationalist, he would never turn down playing for team Sweden unless he was thinking of calling it a career, so in my humble opinion I think that this is his last year. That being said, there is also no certainty that Holland will decide to stick to his plan and retire along with Lidstrom, it may have been something he was kicking around at the time.

IF Holland and Lidstrom retired, Nill would still be in the way of Yzerman becoming GM of this team, and though I am sure that Nill would gladly accept a post as GM of another team if it was asked of him, What would Yzerman be like as GM, and for that matter who would he have as assistant GM?

IF this team can't pen him in as GM in the near future, Yzerman will leave, and if Yzerman leaves this organization I can only hope that he serves for a team with a rich history like Montreal. That team deserves a revival, after the dynasty days of the past and their relative silence of late, it would be good to see the longest serving team meeting with success once more. I think I would die inside if Yzerman went to an expansion team.

Here's an idea that I wanted to post on the boards and see what kind of response it got; what if Burke never took the job in Toronto, and Yzerman did instead?

Last edited by TheFirebird: 04-30-2010 at 10:02 AM.
TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
Here's an idea that I wanted to post on the boards and see what kind of response it got; what if Burke never took the job in Toronto, and Yzerman did instead?
My God... that'd be a rough one. As much as non Leafs and Wings fans view Leafs and Wings fans as borderline insufferable, can you imagine saying you root for both teams to a third party?

Ouch. It'd be like saying 'Yeah, I root for the Lakers and the Celtics' to a room of Pistons fans. Get ready to throw down.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
... immediately become your second-favorite team?

Depending on how it goes for Team Canada, I think it's almost a slam-dunk that Steve Yzerman is going to be getting a ton of calls this offseason to take over some teams.

So, if he's running a team, are you cheering for them?

I am. Unless it's the Ducks or something like that.
LOL. I have to agree about the last part.
If he GM's any other team I will instantly have them as my 2nd favorite team. But never Anaheim.

That's why I hope he gets the TB job (if he has to go). Stamkos is a real treat to watch. And they're in the E.C. so I won't be too conflicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
I'm not sold on the fact that Yzerman wants to leave Detroit. He has been here for nearly 30 years now. His kids are at an age where uplifting them becomes quite a head ache with leaving their friends and what not. He seems like a family guy, so if his family want to stay up here...I'm thinking he just may.

Unless Holland doesn't have any plans of giving up the big chair anytime soon.
I used to think that way too. But more and more rumors float around saying that Stevie wants his own ship.
And I bet it's a team-by-team basis. I have a hard time believing his family wouldn't love living in Florida.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
HockeyinHD

http://detnews.com/article/20100502/...erman-in-limbo

"Yzerman recently discussed his future with ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.
"I'm very lucky and happy to have a position with Red Wings," he said. "I would love to run a team one day and realize I will have to leave here to do that. But the situation has to be right, for me and my family. Believe it or not, being a part of this organization and living in Detroit is something I cherish.
"If the right opportunity presents itself, I would definitely consider it."

Well.

That pretty much settles that, I think.

Please go to the East, Stevie. For my sake.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

There's still time for us to be proactive. We all know the Wings are run by a committee, so let's rearrange the decks and give Steve the GM title and Kenny the long vacant president's chair.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Even though Stevie did a bang-up job with Team Canada (and that job is not as easy as some would think), I think he still needs more of an apprentiship for a GM role in the NHL. If Holland were to move up/move on, I think a Nill GM and Yzerman Asst. GM combo makes more sense. If Holland stays put, maybe give Stevie the Griffins to run?

Detrot stars that go on to run other teams don't have a great track record (see Thomas, Isaiah).

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
chances14

i dont blame yzerman for wanting to leave detroit for a better position elsewhere. i wish him good luck to wherever he ends up

chances14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

this is asenine, I can't believe that this organization is willing to let him go; this man is the face of Detroit hockey, THE person behind the resurgance of hockey in Detroit, and Ilitch and friends are just going to wave and smile as he leaves. Unbelievable. For those people who legitimize his departure as training for the Wings organization later on, what's to say he will ever return here if he leaves? He may get into a life-time deal with an organization. This is just so very stupid, I can't believe that Holland and Nill take precedence over Steve Yzerman. I'm not sure that I want to root for a team that throws away their heart and soul like that. That being said, I sure as **** don't want to root for the Tampa Bay Lightning, if indeed that is where he is going.

Old
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
Even though Stevie did a bang-up job with Team Canada (and that job is not as easy as some would think), I think he still needs more of an apprentiship for a GM role in the NHL. If Holland were to move up/move on, I think a Nill GM and Yzerman Asst. GM combo makes more sense. If Holland stays put, maybe give Stevie the Griffins to run?

Detrot stars that go on to run other teams don't have a great track record (see Thomas, Isaiah).
Yzerman needs more apprenticeship? How much apprenticeship did our Lord and Saviour Ken Holland get before his term as GM began? The majority of Ken Holland's time spent "apprenticing" was with him holding the position of scouting director, and that doesn't hold much pertinance. He was then immediately granted the position of assistant GM, but that's impossible here because Holland would rather keep the position than move up in the organization. Yzerman has had a great deal of time working with the big boys, and this is a man that knows hockey that we are talking about here, not some no-name goaltender that decided to get into management and ended up doing very well for himself. Yzerman is one of the most stable and rational leaders the NHL has ever bore witness to, aside from Igor Larionov THIS is the one man I could see being an ideal fit at whatever position of guidance or leadership he is placed in.

Old
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
this is asenine, I can't believe that this organization is willing to let him go; this man is the face of Detroit hockey, THE person behind the resurgance of hockey in Detroit, and Ilitch and friends are just going to wave and smile as he leaves. Unbelievable. For those people who legitimize his departure as training for the Wings organization later on, what's to say he will ever return here if he leaves? He may get into a life-time deal with an organization. This is just so very stupid, I can't believe that Holland and Nill take precedence over Steve Yzerman. I'm not sure that I want to root for a team that throws away their heart and soul like that. That being said, I sure as **** don't want to root for the Tampa Bay Lightning, if indeed that is where he is going.
I agree. This is terrible. I dont understand the folks claiming he will come back either. Good chance he never comes back if he is successful.

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote