HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury's olympic selection. A bone throw?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
  #1
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Drury's olympic selection. A bone throw?

Ok, so we were all scratching our heads when we heard Drury was selected to the USA Olympic team.

This is purely just a speculative theory here, but do you think it could have been a "Good ol'boys network" bone throwing on Burke's part for Sather? Reason being, giving Drury a chance to show case what he can do outside of the Rangers team and gamble on this being an opportunity to raise his trade value, if at all possible. I'm sure his "skill set" was debated ferosiously by this forum when the selection was made, which tells me the brains behind this opperation couldnt have spent too much time themselves debbating over who would make it.

Anyone else think this could be a possablility? Or am I over thinking this?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:38 AM
  #2
Ice Hockey
Registered User
 
Ice Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
oh i hope to god he gets a hat trick in every game and this ups his trade value.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:42 AM
  #3
gravy121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
No, he is a valuable player, and especially in a situation where salary/cap-hit is not a consideration he will prove his worth on that roster.

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:45 AM
  #4
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Yeah what gravy said.

We judge drury by his contract, not by what he brings to the team unfortunately and that's the world we live in with a salary cap. You are judged by your paycheck.

Drury is a good defensive player whos lost some of his offensive prowess that he once had (though he can still score). He gives up the body to block shots and is responsible in his own zone. Plus he has leadership experience. Don't think Burke was throwing anyone bones here.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
  #5
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
oh i hope to god he gets a hat trick in every game and this ups his trade value.
He has a NTC.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  #6
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He has a NTC.
You know, I keep forgeting that for some reason.

But...do you think he really would want to rot here for another 2 yrs if he could somehow fit into a contenders cap/team given his age?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
  #7
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
You know, I keep forgeting that for some reason.

But...do you think he really would want to rot here for another 2 yrs if he could somehow fit into a contenders cap/team given his age?
He has already won a cup in Colorado, and he grew up as a Rangers fan.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
  #8
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
his contract sucks....but are there any other team captains making less than he is?...anyone know?

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:15 PM
  #9
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,955
vCash: 500
He's a valuable player.

/

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
  #10
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
The only evidence of the good ol' boys network is hooking up Tortorella's player instead of someone like Bufyglien(sp). And I wouldn't say that evidence is conclusive.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
  #11
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy121 View Post
No, he is a valuable player, and especially in a situation where salary/cap-hit is not a consideration he will prove his worth on that roster.
This, and the fact that he's probably the best choice for 4th line center on team USA. You can argue Dubinsky's a better player than him 'til you're blue in the face, but Drury fits the spot on Team USA much better than Dubi does.

I also think part of it is just that Burke is partial to certain players. I mean, Komisarek originally chosen for the team???

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
  #12
Nick00
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Probably because he's a hard working player and still has a reputation for making an impact in big games.

The Olympics are not the NHL either. There is no $8 million shadowing his every move.
Who knows how he performs without the weight of his contract, the media, NYC and anything else that may be distracting him back here?

I'm not a big Drury fan by any means, but the guy had already established himself a solid reputation years before coming to the Rangers.
I think he deserves another shot.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
  #13
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
I assume his age might have a little to do with it too. This will probably be, no... it WILL be, his last Olympics. He hasn't been great this season, but his reputation is based on more than just one good season, so you can't really leave him off because he's having a down year. Throughout his career he has been an valuable asset for much longer than he has not is what I'm saying.

There is probably also the expectation that he will break out because all of the pressure he is facing here won't transfer over to the Olympics. And his linemates will most likely be better than what he has had here

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Drury won't make or break the team. Actually, he could make it if he shows up, but he definitely won't break it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
  #14
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,933
vCash: 500
hes living off his name and reputation only. hes lost more than a step and he was never fast to start.

heck, hes a 4th liner on this team.

there are any number of guys who can do what hes good at now, faceoffs and kill penalties, yet they are alot younger and faster and have better offensive skills.

hes on the 0lympic roster because its not always about the best players, its about the players that "deserve" the spot.

hes done. his loss of skills has been alarming. hes clearly this years brendon shannahan. and hes not gonna get any better the next few years were stuck with him

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  #15
wereback
Registered User
 
wereback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
He's a great fit for the fourth line and PK....i don't understand you guys cant see this. For his role, give me a better player that can PK and fourth line center?

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
  #16
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes living off his name and reputation only. hes lost more than a step and he was never fast to start.

heck, hes a 4th liner on this team.

there are any number of guys who can do what hes good at now, faceoffs and kill penalties, yet they are alot younger and faster and have better offensive skills.

hes on the 0lympic roster because its not always about the best players, its about the players that "deserve" the spot.

hes done. his loss of skills has been alarming. hes clearly this years brendon shannahan. and hes not gonna get any better the next few years were stuck with him
I'd bet he still take a bullet if it meant winning a cup as captain of NYR.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
  #17
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Ok, so we were all scratching our heads when we heard Drury was selected to the USA Olympic team.

This is purely just a speculative theory here, but do you think it could have been a "Good ol'boys network" bone throwing on Burke's part for Sather? Reason being, giving Drury a chance to show case what he can do outside of the Rangers team and gamble on this being an opportunity to raise his trade value, if at all possible. I'm sure his "skill set" was debated ferosiously by this forum when the selection was made, which tells me the brains behind this opperation couldnt have spent too much time themselves debbating over who would make it.

Anyone else think this could be a possablility? Or am I over thinking this?
NO.

Drury would have been a LOCK on my US national team too.

Don't take this the wrong way -- but you guys have zero experience of international tournaments. No matter what, the US will not be able to compete with Russia and Canada in terms of talent. And no matter what, you don't even remotely build a team by just stacking talent on it. I mean Pittsburgh wouldn't trade Jordan Staal for Veersteeg, its the same thing.

The last time, Finland made the finals of the Olympic Games. Their top scorer was Mikko Koivu. Behind him, they had 3 bigger names, Saku, Sellane and Jokinen. The two first of those 3 were what like 60 pts player at the time.

You can loose a game against Russia/Canada/Sweden very easily. All you need to do is commit a couple of mistakes. But, its hockey we are talking about. Its not easy at all for like Canada to beat the US. All it takes is like Miller putting in a Lundqvist of last night type of performance -- and all the US need to do inorder to send them packing is putting in two rebounds or something like that.

So in the end you want like 4-5 really really good forwards, and then 7-8 forwards who can support those 4-5.

I think Burke have commited several mega blunders when picking the US team. He have taken way too many unexperienced talented players -- that needs a lot of room -- over experienced players. Like Pavelski over Scott Gomez. Like selecting Bobby Ryan. Not taking Chris Drury would have been even worse.

Why? You can stick Drury on a 4th line and he will play the 10 minutes exactly like they should be played. Safe defensively, not trying anything difficult et c.

What if you stick a young and up coming 24 y/o, who is leading his NHL team in scoring and playing 22 minutes per night, on a 4th line LW? What type of play will you get? That kid will try to show why he made the team. He will look to score the tournament deciding goal. He wil challenge D's 1 on 1. And, he will be cold when doing it since he only is getting 10 minutes per game -- and for that reason he will fail and make mistakes.


Last edited by Ola: 02-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
  #18
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,100
vCash: 500
One of the best defensive forwards in the game, and has international experience as well. Yeah, clearly Burke is trying to raise his trade value for Sather.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:27 PM
  #19
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,531
vCash: 500
When Sweden won in 2006, our 4th line center was Jörgen Jönsson. Anyone remember him? He played a few games for the Islanders like 10 years ago.

He made the team over Michael Nylander and Markus Näslund. Both were PPG players, and were 3rd and 4th among Swedes in scoring in the NHL, and "prorated" would have been 3rd and 4th in scoring for the US this year.

That gives you a sense of a how successful nationalteams often are built.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
  #20
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
his contract sucks....but are there any other team captains making less than he is?...anyone know?
More than half make less than him I would guess.

Edit: after doing quick research Drury would have the highest cap hit on 18 of the 29 other teams in the league [entire roster, not drury vs captain]. He would also bring the most intangibles to 29 out of 29 other teams. Thank god hes ours right. Right?


Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 02-15-2010 at 01:39 PM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:44 PM
  #21
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
oh i hope to god he gets a hat trick in every game and this ups his trade value.
I hope he gets a hat trick every game and brings that magic back with him from Vancouver. He has a NTC so as long as we are stuck with him, I want him to - however magically - remember what is was to play like his Buffalo years.

In 06, he was
17-25-42 in 55 games pre-Olympics
13-12-25 in 26 games post Olympics

his current 10-12-22 in 57 isn't much compared to back then but if can catch fire...
here's to wishful thinking

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:51 PM
  #22
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
We don't know anything about international competition?

How's that?

We Americans are just ignorant, right?

USA won't and can't compete?

How's that?

USA just won Gold at the WJC.

And people are REALLY underestimating this Olympic USA squad.

Don't think for one second they aren't there to win Gold.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
  #23
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Not happy about having Drury represent my country at the Olympics. There were better players to choose from. Don't really buy the whole "perfect for a 4th center role" logic...you dont see Canada taking Blair Betts. (yes, that would be even more extreme)

Don't see Drury helping the team at all.

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
  #24
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Not happy about having Drury represent my country at the Olympics. There were better players to choose from. Don't really buy the whole "perfect for a 4th center role" logic...you dont see Canada taking Blair Betts. (yes, that would be even more extreme)

Don't see Drury helping the team at all
.
You say the same about him helping the NYR's though. And he actually does help his team, its been pretty evident the last few games. Olympic are a short tourney, anything could happen.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:17 PM
  #25
morffin
Registered User
 
morffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
More than half make less than him I would guess.

Edit: after doing quick research Drury would have the highest cap hit on 18 of the 29 other teams in the league [entire roster, not drury vs captain]. He would also bring the most intangibles to 29 out of 29 other teams. Thank god hes ours right. Right?
great research ... I would have thought most captains would be making Drury bucks...I wont let it ruin my night.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.