HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Crosby have a shot at MVP?

Old
02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
frkjr

vCash: 500
Does Crosby have a shot at MVP?

All homerism aside. Surely Ovechkin is the favorite and if he wins it is completley understandable and deserving. However, the mvp being the most valuable to your team, where would the Pens be without him? He has double the amount of goals as Malkin who is second and it is hard not to say he is single handly carriyng this team on his back with the exception of maybe Staal. The Caps would be worse off without Ovechkin for sure but I think they would still be a great team. Seems as though people have already handed it too Ovechkin.

frkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM
WVP

Depends on the last 20 games. Right now I'd say Ovechkin and Crosby are 1 and 2 but it's definitely close.

Hard to say how people actually vote on this though....

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

I think he has a pretty good shot at it. if he keeps his numbers up it will be a very tough call between Sid and Ovie

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
wej20

I could see it happening but I think OV is the favourite. I'd love Sid to win the rocket but I know that wont happen.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
NewFang

I think if Sid winds the Rocket trophy he will also take the MVP.

Ovie is playing on one of the most offensively stacked teams and systems, ever. That has to factor in.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd love Sid to win the rocket but I know that wont happen.
Why not?

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
kmillzy5

Ovechkin has the personality the hockey writers are in love with.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
nTsplnk*

How about we wait and find out after the season instead of speculate?

They're both even in my opinion. Both are integral parts of their team. I still think Washingtons offense revolves completely around Ovechkin regardless of how many assists he earns.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Basically, should Crosby finish top three in scoring in goals/points playing on a winger deficient team with a lot of injuries, I think he trumps Alex and his fairly stacked front loaded team. Remove Alex from the mix, and that team still finishes top 5, I can't say that if Crosby is removed from the mix for the Pens this year.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:37 PM
vecens24

Crosby would need a lights out finish to the end of the season I think. Also, this may sound kind of ridiculous, but I think that if Crosby brings home the Gold Medal in the Olympics in his home country, that would go a long way towards helping his cause with some Canadian writers who have votes...

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:37 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Why not?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Basically, should Crosby finish top three in scoring in goals/points playing on a winger deficient team with a lot of injuries, I think he trumps Alex and his fairly stacked front loaded team. Remove Alex from the mix, and that team still finishes top 5, I can't say that if Crosby is removed from the mix for the Pens this year.
How can you say that? Ovechkin has 89 points. That means he was responsible or a part of almost 100 of their goals. Their team can't put up numbers to replace that.

Old
02-15-2010, 03:39 PM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
Sid is a bit more deserving in my opinion right now and I do believe he should get it so long as he keeps a single-digit difference between him and Ovechkin. Washington's top six is ridiculous right now, and minus Malkin Pittsburgh's is pretty laughable. Then there's that old horse to beat on, Ovechkin has Backstrom, Crosby has no one. Not like our power play is stellar and padding anybody's stats. You'll recall also when Ovechkin was out earlier this year, Washington did not stop winning. I can't imagine how bad we'd be during a stretch without Crosby.

PJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:39 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Crosby would need a lights out finish to the end of the season I think. Also, this may sound kind of ridiculous, but I think that if Crosby brings home the Gold Medal in the Olympics in his home country, that would go a long way towards helping his cause with some Canadian writers who have votes...
I think you're bang on.

Also, I think it hinges on whether or not he wins the Rocket. If he wins the Rocket and leads the Pens to the division title, then he has a good shot. If not, then it's likely Ovechkin's.

I do think Crosby's been more crucial to his team's success than Ovechkin, though. Crosby has hauled us through a ton of games that we otherwise had no chance in winning and he's kept us in a bunch of games that we had no business being in. Ovechkin, while obviously a huge part of his teams' success, has more or less been piling on with the rest of his team rather than leading a one-man crusade like Crosby has done many times this season.

FDBluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

I don't think Sid has a shot unless he at least gets one statistical edge - like the Richard.

We all know that the scoring environment for each is like night and day, and Sid is the superior all-around player, but hard stats usually win out over intangibles and hypotheticals when it comes to MVP voting.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:41 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
How can you say that? Ovechkin has 89 points. That means he was responsible or a part of almost 100 of their goals. Their team can't put up numbers to replace that.
I think in that sentence, almost should be italicized and 100 should be changed to 90

I do think it is AO's as of right now. However, I think if Crosby pots 55+ and the Pens finish strong, he has a chance, though if AO continues at his current scoring pace, I'd still probably call it 60/40 for AO over Crosby.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno1271 View Post
Ovechkin has the personality the hockey writers are in love with.
I think that plays a part in it, but Sid is also very media-friendly and always seems to be giving interviews. I imagine some Canadian voters would be more inclined to choose Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
I think if Sid winds the Rocket trophy he will also take the MVP.

Ovie is playing on one of the most offensively stacked teams and systems, ever. That has to factor in.
This is my thought too, if Sid can get within 5 points or so and take the Rocket trophy that may be enough.

I don't really care one way or the other and I think Ovy winds up with a sweep of all the major trophies (Rocket/Art Ross/Pearson/Hart) ultimately. One thing I do hope though is that the voters keep in mind that when Geno and Ovy have been finalists the last 2 years, Geno was penalized for having a superior supporting cast - namely, Crosby. The opposite is true this year, a number of players on that WSH team are having career years and Sid is compiling points with pylons and a slumping Malkin.

Duncan Keith and Ryan Miller should also be in the discussion and I'm curious to see how the Olympics factor into the equation.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
A player may not replace Alex's points in all, but to think another player at roughly 40 to 50 points replacing him is putting them still in the top 5 in the standings, and I should state top 3 because of the super weak division they are in.(division leader)

Drop Crosby off the Pens, where do you see a player doing the same to make up enough of the slack to even keep them in the playoff hunt?

The Capitals are a stacked team up front, its OK to admit it, it won't kill you, I promise.
Capitals won by big margins a lot this season, well above what was needed to win.
Capitals kept winning even with out him in the line up. Pens are finding it hard to win with Crosby in the line up, see the difference.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Yeah, he definitely has a shot. It's looking like a two-horse race again. Some of the goalies have tapered off, and Hank Sedin has gone into a funk as well.

The Rocket Richard winner might come out on top, provided Sid remains reasonably close to Ovie in assists (which I gotta assume will happen, since I don't think Sid could have had a worse assists season so far).

Should be fun.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
If we get Whitney to finish Sid perfect passes, he could catch up Ovechkin in the scoring race therefore maximizing his chances of winning the MVP. Ovechkin has a very strong supporting cast, Sid has a day dreaming Malkin.

Anyway, I don't really care if Sid wins the Hart or not, as long as he does well in the playoffs and help us win another cup.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Only way Sid wins the Hart is if the voters put a lot of weight in the fact Ovechkin has quality players to play with, and Crosby's basically had to carry the Pens' offense on his own.

Ironically enough, I think Malkin's sub par season (by his standards) actually helps Crosby's chances, since voters might look at that and say Crosby didn't even have Malkin's help much this year.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Media loves Ovechkin guys, sorry. Unless Sid eclipses him in total points AND goals, Ovechkin gets MVP.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaroth View Post
Media loves Ovechkin guys, sorry. Unless Sid eclipses him in total points AND goals, Ovechkin gets MVP.
It's funny. Pens fans say "media loves Ovechkin." Meanwhile, Caps fans say "The NHL loves Crosby."

Truth is, they are both beloved and get plenty of attention.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I think in that sentence, almost should be italicized and 100 should be changed to 90

I do think it is AO's as of right now. However, I think if Crosby pots 55+ and the Pens finish strong, he has a chance, though if AO continues at his current scoring pace, I'd still probably call it 60/40 for AO over Crosby.
Rounding isn't limited to the nearest 10. At least, not in mathematics. Considering the MVP is based off of the whole season, it should be at least 100.

Rethink your post and try again

Old
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's funny. Pens fans say "media loves Ovechkin." Meanwhile, Caps fans say "The NHL loves Crosby."

Truth is, they are both beloved and get plenty of attention.
I really want to say "The NHL loving Crosby doesn't get him awards" ... just so some Caps or Flyers fan will come screaming in and shout "STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!".

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote