HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gregor said Pittsburgh has interest in an Oiler forward

Old
02-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
O'Sullivan or Cogliano most likely.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
surshot*

Penner + for Staal is what I would like to see. Staal needs a bigger more offensive role that he is not going to get in Pitsburgh. I would be more then happy to have Staal, Gagner, Horcoff, be our center's for next year.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I think they'd be looking at O'Sullivan, Pisani and Penner.

Sully would probably be a great fit. Maybe even a Pouliot or Cogliano could go there.

Either way I hope Tambellini manages to make a trade.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Rafters

Maybe Nilsson as well....skilled enough to play with crosby or Malkin

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:13 PM
MePutPuckInNet

I don't really see why they'd be too interested in Cogliano, to be honest. Pittsburgh needs a winger - Cogliano doesn't "do" the wing.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Maybe Nilsson as well....skilled enough to play with crosby or Malkin
yeah, maybe Nilsson, but still, the Oilers would have to take back some salary

Old
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
*M*J*D*

Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
I would have to think Potulny isn't the first in line of players being shown the door. He plays hard, won't get a huge raise, and provides depth. I can't imagine he bring back something a whole lot better than the player he already is in a trade so why do it? Then again, if he is the sweetener to get rid of Horcoff

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
O'Sullivan or Cogliano most likely.
POS would make more sense for their need, Let's hope

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
yeah, maybe Nilsson, but still, the Oilers would have to take back some salary
not really....at the deadline his salary would only be around 500k or less and Pitts has about 650k cap space....

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Penner + for Staal is what I would like to see. Staal needs a bigger more offensive role that he is not going to get in Pitsburgh. I would be more then happy to have Staal, Gagner, Horcoff, be our center's for next year.
Penner for Staal is probably a good frameowrk for a deal, but I don't see Pens dealing Staal now. In the off-season maybe.
They probably can replace Staal quite easily with Malhotra type in free agency.The cap space will come from Fedotenko's contract coming off the books.

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Penner-Malkin-Whoever

Is a very nice top 6.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M*J*D* View Post
I would have to think Potulny isn't the first in line of players being shown the door. He plays hard, won't get a huge raise, and provides depth. I can't imagine he bring back something a whole lot better than the player he already is in a trade so why do it? Then again, if he is the sweetener to get rid of Horcoff
Yeah, I don't think Potulny is a guy that needs to go either - but, it's the OILERS. When was the last time a good sound decision was made involving a trade?

Old
02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M*J*D* View Post
Potulny might end being this year's Glenncross. 14 goals already and has not played a bunch of games early in the year. The problem is, just like Glenncross 2 years ago, he's unproven. They can't afford another potential overpay, so I can see them playing it safe and letting him go.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think Potulny is a guy that needs to go either - but, it's the OILERS. When was the last time a good sound decision was made involving a trade?
.... The last time they made a trade?

Cole (pending UFA) for O'Sullivan.

And the time before...

Garon (pending UFA) for Stone.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Penner for Staal is probably a good frameowrk for a deal, but I don't see Pens dealing Staal now. In the off-season maybe.
They probably can replace Staal quite easily with Malhotra type in free agency.The cap space will come from Fedotenko's contract coming off the books.

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Penner-Malkin-Whoever

Is a very nice top 6.
I agree its far fetched but its a carrot that Tambo needs to pull in order to fill our biggest need, center help with experience. WE can spend the next few years watching Gagner and Staal fight for number one center with Hemsky, Paajarvi, Eberle, Omark and Hall/Seguin battling it out on the wings.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Hemsky4PM

I don't see the Pens being interested in Penner.

My guess is a forward with a bit of offense. O'Sullivan, Comrie or Nilsson make some sense.

I could also see Pisani fitting with the Pens.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I'd love to see Staal here, and normally I don't make proposals, but heck here we go:

To EDM: Staal
To Pit: Penner, and maybe Cogs?

I add Cogs because I have a feeling Pitts wouldn't be thrilled with moving Staal. I'm not sure if they are high on trading prospects either.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
I am not singling you out on this as you are not the first and will not be the last to suggest something like this.

It is just that the thing I do not get it when we see one of these rumours at trade deadline time. Why is the playoff team in the trade scenario sending away one of the key components of their success shortly before playoffs?

They likely want something to put them over the top or try and strengthen a weak area. Which in a cap world usually means sending a pick or prospect or both for a moderately sized contract that is not too long in length.

Quote:
I don't really see why they'd be too interested in Cogliano, to be honest. Pittsburgh needs a winger - Cogliano doesn't "do" the wing.
Cogs has said on a couple occasions that he will play wing and has no problem with it. He said it a couple times this past training camp.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Potulny might end being this year's Glenncross. 14 goals already and has not played a bunch of games early in the year. The problem is, just like Glenncross 2 years ago, he's unproven. They can't afford another potential overpay, so I can see them playing it safe and letting him go.
The difference is that Glencross was a UFA and Potulny is an RFA.

02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

My guess is a forward with a bit of offense. O'Sullivan, Comrie or Nilsson make some sense.

Forward with a bit of offense... but Penner is better offensively than all three of those guys.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The difference is that Glencross was a UFA and Potulny is an RFA.
OK. I assumed Potulnmy was an UFA too. I guess it makes him Brodziak then. Deal him at the draft if you have no intention of re-signing him.

Old
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Oiler Lover

Quote:
I was thinking maybe they'd be interested in Potulny? He can play on the wing and he's got a decent shot - he'd also be dirt cheap.
The rebuild needs to happen around Penner and the kids.

Oiler Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

Except none of these guys are all that great offensively--marginal 2nd liners who are not good in their own end either.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
IMO I don't see mureau and pisani a fit in pitt
maybe POS?

ideas
Pittsburg already stated that they will not give up their 1st round or any of their top prospects. My guess would be Pisani. They are also very hesitant to give up their 2nd rounder knowing that they do not have much depth in prospects. I am guessing Moreau or Pisani. With Moreau still having another year on his contract that would leave Pisani for like a 3rd would be my guess.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Except none of these guys are all that great offensively--marginal 2nd liners who are not good in their own end either.
I think you're making a judgement based only on what you've seen this season....on a crapass team with no goal tending, no centers worth a damn, and a brand new coaching staff.

I just don't know how everyone thinks they can evaluate the ability of these guys. How do you know what they can and can't do? None of them have had any kind of stability or leadership. They've been operating in utter chaos. It's so easy for someone to sit on the couch and believe they have a clue about who does or does not have talent. But even guys with talent need a measure of support in order to be effective. No one has had that this season on this team, so I'm just not sure how some of you can be so "certain" about things.

Old
02-15-2010, 08:16 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I think you're making a judgement based only on what you've seen this season....on a crapass team with no goal tending, no centers worth a damn, and a brand new coaching staff.

I just don't know how everyone thinks they can evaluate the ability of these guys. How do you know what they can and can't do? None of them have had any kind of stability or leadership. They've been operating in utter chaos. It's so easy for someone to sit on the couch and believe they have a clue about who does or does not have talent. But even guys with talent need a measure of support in order to be effective. No one has had that this season on this team, so I'm just not sure how some of you can be so "certain" about things.
I don't pretend to be a master at evaluating players. Jusy going by the track record of these guys.

Comrie was a good 2nd liner back in the day who was always weak defensively.
His offensive production has been slipping for a number of years.

O'Sullivan had ONE season in LA where he put up 50+ points. Has got by the worst +/- rating of all forwards except Horcoff.

Nilsson is very similar to O'Sullivan.

i mean it is possible they will do well elsewhere, but if you are a GM of a club like Pitts, would you take a gamble on POS with his 3M cap hit?