HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gregor said Pittsburgh has interest in an Oiler forward

Old
02-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Eirhead*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
he had 1 good playoff, hard to call it tremendous track record
Although I agree with this, I think his brief but stellar performance is enough to get a return for Pisani from a team looking for depth in the playoffs. Whether or not he actually does well is the question.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Come on, the Staal speculation is just silly. Try to think like the other team for a moment. There is no reason why PIT would want to make a huge change this late in the season for a team that, for the most part, is having a good year. Moreau or Pisani makes the most sense.
Dont' get me wrong; I don't think Pittsburgh will trade Staal. From their account, he's having a pretty good year. I just think that Staal could be the most attractive option.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:59 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I really wish people would stop suggesting the Penguins are trying to get Pouliot because he played with Crosby in junior. It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe they want Reddox. He played with Staal in Peterborough, afterall. Hey, is Sebastian Bisaillon still in the system? I bet they'd love to get Kris Letang's Val d'Or defense partner for the big playoff push.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Lt Screwloose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher For Selke View Post
Penner+Vish+ for Staal+Letang. maybe have to throw in a pick/prospect
I hope there is a missing...wow

Lt Screwloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:15 AM
John Hancock

I would think they would only want expiring UFAs. That means Pisani or Comrie, or both. Those 2 together could be worth a pick or two, or maybe a prospect that Pitsburgh doesn't have a ton of faith in. They might even have some interest in a guy like Strudwick, depending on what kind of cap trouble they expect to be in.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
OilerBoy888*

Pisani and Moreau for a first round pick.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:36 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Edm trades (Penner + Oilers 2nd round 2010 pick) to Pitt for (Staal)

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:39 AM
mikemc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
bahahaha. what?

mikemc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Edm trades (Penner + Oilers 2nd round 2010 pick) to Pitt for (Staal)
Makes no sense cap wise.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:20 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Makes no sense cap wise.
I think it made perfect sense cap-wise, but not so much skill-wise. I think Penner needs to prove that he is a more consistent player, before he can be traded for a guy like Staal without adding more pieces to the deal. Let's not forget Staal is only 21, and a center, which both increase his value over Penner.

I'd probably keep Penner anyway (as much as I love Staal), simply because we'd likely have to overpay for Staal. He has way too much potential for Pittsburgh to let him go for anything less than overpayment, especially seeing how he's locked up with a decent contract for the next few years. They could be forced to move Malkin (not this year, but perhaps down the road) in order to keep fielding a winning team. In that case, they'd want to hang onto Staal, to keep depth at center.

I still think they want Comrie or Pisani (most likely Comrie) and are offering mid picks in return, as high as their 2nd, maybe.

-JH.

Old
02-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Rolanson was a conditional trade.

Pisani's 14 Playoff goals was the 2nd best total since the lockout.

Oh and the one year we play him on the PP he is top 25 in PP goal scoring rate.

Hmmm! What team could use a Playoff scorer, who is top 40 Pk guy and can score on the PP.

Pittsburgh maybe!
Pisani is far far far removed from the player he was for the Oilers in the playoffs.

He's got 2 points in 22 games and is a -11 in that span. I don't see what value there is in a player who is 4 years removed from his impressive playoff run, and who has been plagued with illness and injury since that point.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:08 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher For Selke View Post
Penner+Vish+ for Staal+Letang. maybe have to throw in a pick/prospect
Me likes!! We should follow his up.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:29 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
If the league expanded to 90 teams and the Penguins just won the Stanley Cup, sure.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:02 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
If the league expanded to 90 teams and the Penguins just won the Stanley Cup, sure.
Aww... that's kinda harsh, don't you think?

I think Moreau and Pisani together are worth a second round pick, considering Pittsburgh's 2nd rounder is almost a 3rd. Personally, I think Pittsburgh is looking for top 6 players, not bottom 6. They need some secondary scoring on their second line, IMO. Right now, their 4-5-6 offensive players aren't producing any better than ours, on a much better team. POS or Comrie are more likely candidates to see shipped out, if the team in question is the Penquins.

-JH.

Old
02-16-2010, 05:31 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

You guys need to think about what Pitt needs to beat the Caps juggernaut in the Eastern conference playoffs.

NJ went out and got Kovalchuk because they know they have to compete or be steamrolled by Ovie & Co. Playoffs are all about tight, hard hitting defensive hockey... but when the Caps have the best offensive team in the last decade and a half... that WILL make a difference in the playoffs.

Moreau and Pisani are going to do next to nothing to help that Pitt team put some offense on the wings beside Malkin/Crosby. They have 3 great centres on Pitt and essentially fodder for wingers. Yes they have some talent on the wings that's got plenty of Stanley Cup experience but their best playoff winger is basically a 39 year old Bill Guerin.

The top teams in the East (NJ,WASH) have improved and Pitt is standing still. I think they know they are a step behind this year (Especially with Malkin playing only "very good" and not great this season) and it's going to take Crosby standing on his head every game to beat NJ/WASH in the playoffs.

That's why I'm saying they need a big scoring winger like Penner... not checking 3rd/4th liners with distant playoff experience. The team is piled high with playoff hardened players who have just come off playing in back to back Stanley Cup Finals.. they don't need more old gritty filler players who need a searchlight to find the net... they need wingers who can finish and put the puck in the net.

I'm not saying we won't trade Pisani or Moreau to somewhere but I just don't see them as a decent fit in Pittsburgh... they just don't need those types of players in my opinion.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Fourier

Pittsburgh does need wingers who can score. Outside of Crosby, Malkin and Staal, Bill Guerrin is the only forward who seems to be producing. Kunitz has been injured for about half the year. Fedotenko has not done much, and there really is no one else up front with much offensive skill. Of course, with Crosby, Malkin and Staal you would think they would be ok, but they know that to come out of the East they likely have to beat Washington. Right now, they probably are in tough to match the Caps offensively.

I am sure they would love to get Penner, but that cannot happen unless Kunitz or Staal are moved. They only have $15.7M to fill 9 spots next year and they still have to deal with Letang and Gonchar. So for Penner, Gonchar and Letang you would be looking at $10-13M leaving them very little room to fill out the roster.

I don't see a Penner/Staal deal at this time of year. Penner/Kunitz should not be attractive from the Oilers' perspective. So I am happy to say, it would really surprise me if the final deal involved Penner.

So my guess is that despite the need for someone like Penner, any deal between Pittsburgh and the Oilers right now would be pretty minor in nature.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Pittsburgh does need wingers who can score. Outside of Crosby, Malkin and Staal, Bill Guerrin is the only forward who seems to be producing. Kunitz has been injured for about half the year. Fedotenko has not done much, and there really is no one else up front with much offensive skill. Of course, with Crosby, Malkin and Staal you would think they would be ok, but they know that to come out of the East they likely have to beat Washington. Right now, they probably are in tough to match the Caps offensively.

I am sure they would love to get Penner, but that cannot happen unless Kunitz or Staal are moved. They only have $15.7M to fill 9 spots next year and they still have to deal with Letang and Gonchar. So for Penner, Gonchar and Letang you would be looking at $10-13M leaving them very little room to fill out the roster.

I don't see a Penner/Staal deal at this time of year. Penner/Kunitz should not be attractive from the Oilers' perspective. So I am happy to say, it would really surprise me if the final deal involved Penner.

So my guess is that despite the need for someone like Penner, any deal between Pittsburgh and the Oilers right now would be pretty minor in nature.
I agree completely. If there is a deal, it will be an extremely small one, no Staal, no Penner, no POS, it will more than likely be Pisani for a pick.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Hemsky4PM

You know what...maybe the Oilers can turn Potulny into a 2nd round pick+

He's got a hot hand and is cheap as dirt. Does he really fit into the Oilers long term plans?

Comrie could work in Pittsburgh too. So could Nilsson or POS.

I actually see the Oilers selling more than people think at the deadline.

If they can, they will move one of Nilsson or POS.

Pisani and Moreau are 100% gone.

Staios is 75% gone.

Souray stays unless you get actual "healthy" Souray value back.

Comrie is 50-50. If we can move POS/Nilsson maybe we sign Comrie for another season. Otherwise, you need some players to finish the season so you may as well keep him.

If anyone would take Horcoff he'd be gone. I think it's still best to keep him and hope he can turn it around. 2-3 seasons from now he could be a very attractive player for a cap floor team like the Isles or Preds.

Penner is going nowhere.
Visnovsky is going nowhere.
Cogliano is going nowhere.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:53 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Pisani would be a great fit there.
nah. redundant with Pascal Dupuis. plus Pisani is toast. if he even gets a job in the NHL next year it'll be a minor miracle (or a huge favor from some home town bozo management)

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
nah. redundant with Pascal Dupuis. plus Pisani is toast. if he even gets a job in the NHL next year it'll be a minor miracle (or a huge favor from some home town bozo management)
Id support that as long as the deal is for under $1M per. Anything more than that, Pisani is being paid for the 2006 run.

All this Staal talk is ridiculous. What Cup trades one of its best players and building blocks for a guy that has played 40 good games in the past 3 years?

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Pens fan here uninvited, so I apologize for crashing the party, but like JustinCider (lol) I agree with everything that Fourier has said here. I really like Penner, he just looked like a beast in the game that we played against you guys this year. But we just can't make that happen this year as we don't have the moveable assets and cap space to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Comrie could work in Pittsburgh too. So could Nilsson or POS.
From what I've seen from his stats it looks like Comrie's been hit with the injury bug, what's happened to him lately?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post

I would be surprised if Pisani plays next year. Chances are he will miss half a season and even for the league minimum this is the risk most GMs would not be willing to take.

Having said that, there is a good chance he will get moved at the deadline to a young team with a lot of cap space (Phoenex, Colorado etc).
The return likely will not be great (4th or 5th round pick maybe), but I think Pisani is very moveable.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Beerfish

Pisani would be a great player for playoff teams to go after if he comes cheap enough. A bit of a risk health wise but the oilers won't be asking for much and Pisani is one of the few guys that really does have a two way game.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Pens fan here uninvited, so I apologize for crashing the party, but like JustinCider (lol) I agree with everything that Fourier has said here. I really like Penner, he just looked like a beast in the game that we played against you guys this year. But we just can't make that happen this year as we don't have the moveable assets and cap space to make it happen.

From what I've seen from his stats it looks like Comrie's been hit with the injury bug, what's happened to him lately?
Comrie had mono and missed a significant amount of time.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Comrie had mono and missed a significant amount of time.
Oh! Tyler Kennedy missed time because of mono last year. Thanks for the info!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote