HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gregor said Pittsburgh has interest in an Oiler forward

Old
02-16-2010, 10:35 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
[QUOTE=SK13;23931134].... The last time they made a trade?

Cole (pending UFA) for O'Sullivan.

And the time before...

Garon (pending UFA) for Stone.[/QUOTE

Don't forget the Brodziak trade...although that wasn't sound

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
nah. redundant with Pascal Dupuis. plus Pisani is toast. if he even gets a job in the NHL next year it'll be a minor miracle (or a huge favor from some home town bozo management)
So a team only needs one vetran player who plays a simple game and take care of his own end? Pisani has been fine. His only problem has been injuries, and any team trading for him is only trading for a couple months of his services, so the injury thing is much less of a risk.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
JustinCider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
So a team only needs one vetran player who plays a simple game and take care of his own end? Pisani has been fine. His only problem has been injuries, and any team trading for him is only trading for a couple months of his services, so the injury thing is much less of a risk.
yes. that is correct.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

A proposal I thought made sense for both teams but was shot down on the main trade boards was O'Sullivan for Fedetenko & Despres. Thoughts?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
A proposal I thought made sense for both teams but was shot down on the main trade boards was O'Sullivan for Fedetenko & Despres. Thoughts?
No way is O'Sullivan worth the Pens first rounder from last year, even if he was picked 30th overall.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
You know what...maybe the Oilers can turn Potulny into a 2nd round pick+

He's got a hot hand and is cheap as dirt. Does he really fit into the Oilers long term plans?

Comrie could work in Pittsburgh too. So could Nilsson or POS.

I actually see the Oilers selling more than people think at the deadline.

If they can, they will move one of Nilsson or POS.

Pisani and Moreau are 100% gone.

Staios is 75% gone.

Souray stays unless you get actual "healthy" Souray value back.

Comrie is 50-50. If we can move POS/Nilsson maybe we sign Comrie for another season. Otherwise, you need some players to finish the season so you may as well keep him.

If anyone would take Horcoff he'd be gone. I think it's still best to keep him and hope he can turn it around. 2-3 seasons from now he could be a very attractive player for a cap floor team like the Isles or Preds.

Penner is going nowhere.
Visnovsky is going nowhere.
Cogliano is going nowhere.
Interesting comment about Potulny. For me the plus needs to be defined. Here is why I say that...

HF in general significantly overvalues draft choices. Particularly, 2nd rounders. If you look at the period from say 1998-2004 you will find very few 2nd round choices that get any more than a cup of coffey in the NHL. At best the number is 1 in 3. some years it is more like 1 in 4 or 5. Of course there are some pretty decent players who were second round draft choices, but to get a top 3 dman or a top 6 forward your odds drop to about 10-15 to 1 at best.

Potulny is no star. But he has proved this year that he can play in a variety of situations and produce with a whole spectrum of linemates. He is fine defensively, has deccent size and importantly will be cheap to resign. So at 25 years old he is a bit of a late bloomer, but what more does a rebuilding team want from a guy like this. If you trade him away for a pick and a longshot prospect the chances that you lose out on the deal are definitely better than 50% in my mind.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Girth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Interesting comment about Potulny. For me the plus needs to be defined. Here is why I say that...

HF in general significantly overvalues draft choices. Particularly, 2nd rounders. If you look at the period from say 1998-2004 you will find very few 2nd round choices that get any more than a cup of coffey in the NHL. At best the number is 1 in 3. some years it is more like 1 in 4 or 5. Of course there are some pretty decent players who were second round draft choices, but to get a top 3 dman or a top 6 forward your odds drop to about 10-15 to 1 at best.

Potulny is no star. But he has proved this year that he can play in a variety of situations and produce with a whole spectrum of linemates. He is fine defensively, has deccent size and importantly will be cheap to resign. So at 25 years old he is a bit of a late bloomer, but what more does a rebuilding team want from a guy like this. If you trade him away for a pick and a longshot prospect the chances that you lose out on the deal are definitely better than 50% in my mind.
This is especially true when looking at getting a 2nd rounder from a top 10 team. Pittsburgh's pick is currently #49 or #50. If the player you send them improves the team, that pick moves to #50 to #56. That isn't a huge carrot when you look back at how many of those picks are successful.

One thing it would do is give Tambo some flexibility to move up at the draft. Our #31 + Pits #50-56 = #25-29???

Or make it conditional on winning the cup.... the second (50-56) turns into #30.

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
wazy08

Malkin for Sam Gagner, Tom Gilbert, Linus Omark, 2011 First Rounder, and 2012 2nd Rounder.

wazy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGARV View Post
Unfortunately, no Oiler is worth it to the Pens
I wouldn't say that. Hemsky would look good with either Crosby or Malkin. Staal/Penner would look great here. (assuming MPS/Eberle/Omark could offset the loss of Hemsky)

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
No way is O'Sullivan worth the Pens first rounder from last year, even if he was picked 30th overall.
O'Sullivan+Cogliano for Fedotenko and 1st round pick this year.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:25 PM
reginaoil

Just remembered from the Pens games I've watched this year the big theme has been their PP woes. You wouldn't think it, but they suck on the PP. The PP is huge in the playoffs with the tight checking 5 on 5.

So who here can help them out, that could possibly move?

Penner?
O'Sullivan?
Nillson?
Comrie?

No one that really stands out actually, though all these guys could overachieve if they found some chemistry with malkin or Crosby since they seem to get the most out of the talents their linemates posses, no matter what flaws.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Id support that as long as the deal is for under $1M per. Anything more than that, Pisani is being paid for the 2006 run.

All this Staal talk is ridiculous. What Cup trades one of its best players and building blocks for a guy that has played 40 good games in the past 3 years?
A team that has 18 million tied up in 2 other players that are better than him at that position. Not so much a building block, more like, sweet sweet depth.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
A team that has 18 million tied up in 2 other players that are better than him at that position. Not so much a building block, more like, sweet sweet depth.
I'm fairly sure you said that you were done with the board.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
Just remembered from the Pens games I've watched this year the big theme has been their PP woes. You wouldn't think it, but they suck on the PP. The PP is huge in the playoffs with the tight checking 5 on 5.

So who here can help them out, that could possibly move?

Penner?
O'Sullivan?
Nillson?
Comrie?

No one that really stands out actually, though all these guys could overachieve if they found some chemistry with malkin or Crosby since they seem to get the most out of the talents their linemates posses, no matter what flaws.
The Pens have actually been pretty bad every time Gonchar has been out of the lineup, and I think that especially hurts them on the powerplay. I think a good offensive defenseman would be better for their powerplay than any of those guys you listed except maybe Penner.

For those interested in aquiring Staal, I think the best chance we have would be in the offseason at the expense of a guy like Visnovsky if Gonchar walks.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I'm fairly sure you said that you were done with the board.
Just a momentary lapse of reason.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Just a momentary lapse of reason.
Which way - leaving or coming back?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazy08 View Post
Malkin for Sam Gagner, Tom Gilbert, Linus Omark, 2011 First Rounder, and 2012 2nd Rounder.
Are you serious? The Pens won't do it and neither do the Oilers. I've seen stupid proposals on here but this one takes the cake. Neither team will do it.

02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Are you serious? The Pens won't do it and neither do the Oilers. I've seen stupid proposals on here but this one takes the cake. Neither team will do it.
Pens won't do it.
But is there one good reason why Oilers would not do it?

Gagner will never be the player Malkin already is. Gilbert is overpaid at 4M and Oilers have a similar d-man in Grebeshkov. Omark may never lace them up in the NHL. And picks are just picks--they could be good, but they could also turn into another Pouliot.

Penner-Malkin-Hemsky
MPS-Seguin-Eberle
X-Horcoff-X
JFJ-Potulny-Stortini

Visnovsky-Souray
Grebeshkov-Smid
X-X

That's a damn fine top 6. Give a couple of defensive wingers to Horcoff and I believe the Oilers should be able to make play-offs without much problem.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Pens won't do it.
But is there one good reason why Oilers would not do it?

Gagner will never be the player Malkin already is. Gilbert is overpaid at 4M and Oilers have a similar d-man in Grebeshkov. Omark may never lace them up in the NHL. And picks are just picks--they could be good, but they could also turn into another Pouliot.

Penner-Malkin-Hemsky
MPS-Seguin-Eberle
X-Horcoff-X
JFJ-Potulny-Stortini

Visnovsky-Souray
Grebeshkov-Smid
X-X

That's a damn fine top 6. Give a couple of defensive wingers to Horcoff and I believe the Oilers should be able to make play-offs without much problem.
I don't care how good Malkin is, he's not worth 3 players plus the draft picks. There is not a single player in the NHL that's worth 3 players plus 2 draft picks. The Oilers need to build their team through the draft not blowing it by giving up 3 players plus 2 draft picks. If I'm GM, I don't do that trade.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Forsburger

Congratulations Gregor you've shown yourself to be an a**hat once again. I can't believe this clown still has a job.

Forsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I fear the Pens are after Lubo. He'd help their PP immensely. I really hope he doesn't move, or thee return is super high. I really like Lubo, he's just a fantastic hockey player.

I hope we don't get Staal to be honest. I don''t see him as a top line C. Just a very good 2nd line one, with his trade cost through the roof.

And if we are fantasizing about Malkin in a deal, we would have to draft Hall. Hall - Malkin - Hemsky? Are you kidding me? No way we could pass up that line.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsburger View Post
Congratulations Gregor you've shown yourself to be an a**hat once again. I can't believe this clown still has a job.
What did he do now to show that or are you just looking for excuse to rip on him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I fear the Pens are after Lubo. He'd help their PP immensely. I really hope he doesn't move, or thee return is super high. I really like Lubo, he's just a fantastic hockey player.
I really hope we do not trade Lubo away at all. It would have to be a fairly interesting deal (with the salary and what not coming back) though for them to fit Lubo into their plans.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-16-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:

Maybe a 3rd rd pick and Lubo for Staal and their two top prospects,Simon Despres and Eric Tangradi.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Its definetly possible considering Gonchar's a UFA and sounds like hes not going to be re-signing

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No. It's a forward that Gregor said the Pens are after. Last I checked Lubo was a defenseman.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote