HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strudwick

Old
02-16-2010, 04:38 AM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
Strudwick

Pat Quinn must love this guy cause he's playing him like he's the most reliable option out there . He's the defender of choice in a five on three PK .

So I was curious to see what kind of icetime he has been getting . Going through the games since the new year it sure looks like Quinn wants Strudwick out there on the PK . I won't bother listing all the games since anyone can just look them up if they are interested but a few recent games stand out .

Feb 11 vs Kings 21:40 TOI 6:12 SH
Feb 10 vs Ducks 18:09 TOI 8:13 SH

Just scanning the TOI charts for the last twenty five games it looks like a rare night that Strudwick is not among the top two or three skaters in shorthanded TOI . This is a guy who was supposed to play about half the games and probably ideally never play more than about ten or twelve minutes .

Obviously the injuries have forced more minutes onto Strudwick , and at minus fifteen it probably isn't too hard to construct an argument that he's playing over his head . Still .... I have to respect the way he battles for his team mates out there .

He's turning thirty five this summer so I doubt that he'll be back for another season in Edmonton but I wanted to post a thread to recognize a guy who is earning peanuts and playing a ton .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:41 AM
RStar*

Strudsy is what he is. A reliable 5-6 who won't wow you, but you know he'll do his job.

I'd like to see him back next season, but if not, I wish him well where ever he goes.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Strudsy is what he is. A reliable 5-6 who won't wow you, but you know he'll do his job.

I'd like to see him back next season, but if not, I wish him well where ever he goes.
Even though Calgary has 19 d-men, it wouldn't surprise me the least if he ended down the road.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:52 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post

Same. I'd like to see him around as a reliable vet to help the youth out. He's got that "ya know what, I been there, here's what ya need to know" quality to him.

And he knows how to drop the mitts, which never hurts.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:58 AM
John Hancock

Whew, I thought this was going to be a bash Strudwick type of thread.

I agree, for a guy that's obviously over his head in the top 2 pairings, on a 30th placed team that traditionally can't clear the puck out of their own zone to save their life, -15 isn't all that bad. Strudwick is showing he can still be a workhorse for any team that wants him.

At 35, it's clear he's on his way out of the league sooner rather than later, but I can see him having a bit of trade value to a team looking for depth in the playoffs. He's a guy who doesn't mind playing any position you want, even forward, and he'll even sit in the press box. He's the perfect 7th d-man for a team that is just looking for depth at the position, in case injuries strike in the playoffs. I do wish we keep him, though, as he seems to have some wisdom to impart to our younger players, and is a great leader by example.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Wait a minute... this is an Oilers thread with way too much positivity in it... trade him for a bag o' pucks and a Starbucks.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Fourier

The major thing that will see Strudwicks tenure with the Oilers end will be when the young prospects start to become waiver eligible.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Renney runs the defense and decides who goes out in what situation, not Quinn. That being said Strudwick is one of the available defencemen that can actuall move bodies. I would much rather have him out there on the pk than Grebs, Gilbert or even Visnovsky.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
tiger_80

I can see some team trading for Strudwick. 5th-6th round pick is my guess.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Even though Calgary has 19 d-men, it wouldn't surprise me the least if he ended down the road.
Assuming Sutter is still GM, I agree. As we've seen time and time again, Daryl has a "thing" for pursuing players that are either from EDM or are ex-Oilers. Strudwick being both makes him doubly attractive.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The comments I've seen here are only looking at +/- and a brief toi sample.

I see nothing here on actual performance.

Fact is one of the last guys you'd want to throw out on the PK is Struds. All of Grebs, Gibs, Vis, and even Chorney have done better in the capacity although Quinn, in his wisdom pretty much refuses to use his best D, Vis, on the PK.

Instead he uses Staios, Souray, Struds, Gilbert, a lot on the pk. From the numbers this year the only one that makes sense and is performing statistically well on the pk, i.e., a lower GA, is Gilbert.

I'm not even sure what would give Quinn the notion that struds would do well on the pk, he hasn't and has a high GA there and on 5 on 5 play.
The worst 5on 5 performers this year have been Staios, Souray, and Struds, in that order. The exact same guys that are not treading water 5 on 5 are the ones that Quinn throws out on the pk presumably with a life jacket.

Go figure.

Really whats going on here is Souray, Staios, and Struds, are Quinn type lads who hit and play physical. Which says nothing about their actual efficacy.
It needs to be said that this is a coach who's only recently figured out that Vis, Smid, and Gilbert have been his best D. Even though Vis and Gilbert play nothing like Quinn would.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
They probably just want him out there because he's big and strong. With Souray gone, we don't have a lot of guys who can clear the big bodied forwards from the crease when they plant themselves in front of the net.

I'm not saying it's a smart move because clearly he's not a great penalty killer, but it would follow along the same line of reasoning that had Jacques on the top line because he wanted every line to have some size.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Fact is one of the last guys you'd want to throw out on the PK is Struds. All of Grebs, Gibs, Vis, and even Chorney have done better in the capacity although Quinn, in his wisdom pretty much refuses to use his best D, Vis, on the PK.

Instead he uses Staios, Souray, Struds, Gilbert, a lot on the pk. From the numbers this year the only one that makes sense and is performing statistically well on the pk, i.e., a lower GA, is Gilbert.

I'm not even sure what would give Quinn the notion that struds would do well on the pk, he hasn't and has a high GA there and on 5 on 5 play.
The worst 5on 5 performers this year have been Staios, Souray, and Struds, in that order. The exact same guys that are not treading water 5 on 5 are the ones that Quinn throws out on the pk presumably with a life jacket.

Go figure.

Really whats going on here is Souray, Staios, and Struds, are Quinn type lads who hit and play physical. Which says nothing about their actual efficacy.
It needs to be said that this is a coach who's only recently figured out that Vis, Smid, and Gilbert have been his best D. Even though Vis and Gilbert play nothing like Quinn would.
Maybe you missed the memo. Renney controls the defense. Sorry to pop the anti-Quinn balloon.

Old
02-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe you missed the memo. Renney controls the defense. Sorry to pop the anti-Quinn balloon.
Well we all know you'd give credit to Quinn for the brand of bubble gum he chews..

But I see your formula. If its something positive its all about Quinn. If its something you don't wanna look at it must be somebody else.

Quinn is the headcoach, its been his team and he's been primarily running things on ice. Renney may well run the practices and D but I would say Quinn is making the on ice line *matching* decisions.

Like a head coach does.

Old
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Well we all know you'd give credit to Quinn for the brand of bubble gum he chews..

But I see your formula. If its something positive its all about Quinn. If its something you don't wanna look at it must be somebody else.

Quinn is the headcoach, its been his team and he's been primarily running things on ice. Renney may well run the practices and D but I would say Quinn is making the on ice line *matching* decisions.

Like a head coach does.
Then you would be wrong. During the last ppv Renney was being interviewed during the game and had to cut it short saying "I have to figure out who I am putting out on defense for the powerplay". They were on a tv timeout and the Ducks had just taken a penalty. Sorry to piss in your hateQuinnflakes.

Old
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Then you would be wrong. During the last ppv Renney was being interviewed during the game and had to cut it short saying "I have to figure out who I am putting out on defense for the powerplay". They were on a tv timeout and the Ducks had just taken a penalty. Sorry to piss in your hateQuinnflakes.
I'll give you this one. Even though I thought we were talking about the pk.

God forbid I didn't see the ppv you could say they said anything

In the last month I'm noting that Renney is stepping up more and I think being groomed for more role all round. For instance interviews, scrums, and more front centre since around Xmas.

I'm thinking maybe this is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
joestevens29

Strudwick is about the only Oiler that goes out and knows what he can do and keeps his game within his limits. He rarely over thinks or over tries, something that the rest of the team should think about doing. For a #7 d-man he fits the role perfectly.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Who controls Renney, or Bucky for that matter? Does Renney have full and complete control of the D? And if so which end of the bench does Bucky control? Does he have full and complete control of the PP, as some have mentioned? I really do want to know what they are responsible for.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
misfit

Quote:

Go figure.

Quinn/Renney/Bucky/whoever uses players more in terms of game situations than he does in regard to who the opposition has on the ice. Staios' pair (with Strudwick mostly, but Grebs early on and Smid/Strudwick last year) is the first to go when the puck is in the defensive zone, or when killing penalties. Souray's pair (with Gilbert) is the 2nd option in that role. Visnovsky is the first guy they want on the ice in offensive situations, such as offensive zone starts and on the powerplay (which makes sense, he's our best offensive defenseman). Smid was the beneficiary of that role this year, but it was Grebs last year. Souray and Gilbert are again the 2nd option there. Quinn seems to stick with that farily religuosly, whether it works or not.

Personally, I think game situation has a greater affect on a player's stats, especially +/- than even the quality of competition, so it makes sense that Souray, Staios, and Strudwick lead the team in GA. Especially since we're also the league's worst faceoff team, and our forwards do very little to help them out defensively. I think that if you put Smid, Visnovsky, and Chorney in that role, their GF/GA would look about the same (or worse).

I'm not disagreeing with you on Strudwick. He'd look bad in any role. He's just not a very good player. I just wanted to share my opinion as to why those guys seem to be put in the position they are despite having the worst GA numbers on the team (are they put in that role despite their stats, or are those stats the result of their role?).

Old
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
mactforcoach

I've actually mentioned a few times this year, how I like Strudwick. For the money he's making, he's a bargain. Great mentor for the young players, gives everything he has, and supposed to be a great guy in the dressing room. I also think he feels privileged to be here.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
joestevens29

Seems pretty stupid to me that Renney picks which d-men go out for the PP. I could see him maybe making the decision of PK d-man and forwards, but how stupid is it that the head coach puts out who he wants but then could get stuck without the proper d pairing?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Who the hell buys Oilers PPV anymore?

I thought you weren't supporting them financially either?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
I've actually mentioned a few times this year, how I like Strudwick. For the money he's making, he's a bargain. Great mentor for the young players, gives everything he has, and supposed to be a great guy in the dressing room. I also think he feels privileged to be here.
I don't mind him as a 7th defenseman for the same reasons you mentinoed (great in the room, a competator, cheap), but he's basically been an every day defender for us this year, and he's just not up to the task.

Old
02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Graybag

Bottom Line:

If you see Strudwick playing more then 6 minutes a night next year, they oilers will be in the same spot in the standings. Brutal five years ahead everyone, find a secondary team to cheer for. If they don't do some price adjustments at the arena they will be very suprised at how empty that building will be.

Graybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Joey Moss

Wait, so most of you think he's reliable? He's awful, he's nothing but a 7th defenseman who can play 10-20 games a season, he gives the puck away way too often and he makes dumb defensive decisions. Did anyone see him cough the puck up to Getzlaf I think it was the other night in front of his own net?

I thought he was much better last season as a 7th defenseman kind of guy, he's being played way too much this season IMO.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote