HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strudwick

Old
02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
Who controls Renney, or Bucky for that matter? Does Renney have full and complete control of the D? And if so which end of the bench does Bucky control? Does he have full and complete control of the PP, as some have mentioned? I really do want to know what they are responsible for.
It would appear that Renney does have control of the d. It has been said before that Bucky is in charge of the pp. We have seen him drawing up plays for end of the game goalie out situations.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
MerryJ99

vCash: 500
43 was on the ice for 2 of the 3 PP goals against Anaheim and on for a total of 5 goals the last game.

43 was also on the ice for the PP goal scored by ANA on Feb 10th, as well as the Flames only PP goal against us Jan 30th, once again against Chicago on Jan 26th the only PP goal they scored was when 43 was on the ice, then against Dallas on the 22 of Jan he was again on the ice when Dallas scored their only PP goal against us. Against Vancouver on Jan 20th he was on the ice for the GTG on the PK as well as the GWG for Vancouver when the Oilers were on the PK.

Do I have to go on. He is not a bad player but he is Terrible on the PK and why the Oilers keep putting him out there is beyond me.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
I've actually mentioned a few times this year, how I like Strudwick. For the money he's making, he's a bargain. Great mentor for the young players, gives everything he has, and supposed to be a great guy in the dressing room. I also think he feels privileged to be here.
Strudwick is the least of our problems on the back end. He is cheap, experienced and brings toughness that is lacking back there. He doesnt feed cherries in the middle of the ice either, unlike some of the other mentally challenged players masquerading as nhl defensemen. He is lacking in foot speed but he is usually pretty good positionally which helps to compensate.

Old
02-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Who the hell buys Oilers PPV anymore?

I thought you weren't supporting them financially either?
I bought the package before the season started. I am still supporting the Economic Embargo. Are you?

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 02-16-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old
02-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Philly85
Raps'

He's been awful in pretty much every aspect, particularly on the PK (can't emphasize this enough, he's just atrocious on PK haha...), but I do like him, if that's somehow possible. Like the OP has stated, I realize he's in way over his head and injuries have forced him into these situations.

Barely, barely an NHL'er at this point though. See him on the ice for so many goals against I've simply decided to get over it completely.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:44 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It would appear that Renney does have control of the d. It has been said before that Bucky is in charge of the pp. We have seen him drawing up plays for end of the game goalie out situations.
So Renney has the D, Bucky has the forwards during the PP? That leaves Quinn with control of the forwards during 5 on 5, and PK. Correct?

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
So Renney has the D, Bucky has the forwards during the PP? That leaves Quinn with control of the forwards during 5 on 5, and PK. Correct?
Im not really sure. I dont have anything concrete that I can point to so I have to defer.

Old
02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The comments I've seen here are only looking at +/- and a brief toi sample.

I see nothing here on actual performance.

Fact is one of the last guys you'd want to throw out on the PK is Struds. All of Grebs, Gibs, Vis, and even Chorney have done better in the capacity although Quinn, in his wisdom pretty much refuses to use his best D, Vis, on the PK.
Well I thought I did acknowledge that Strudwick was playing way over his head ( and pay grade I might add ) . Doesn't take a genius to see that . I just wanted to compliment a player who has gone above and beyond what anyone on this board expected of him .

Quote:
Really whats going on here is Souray, Staios, and Struds, are Quinn type lads who hit and play physical. Which says nothing about their actual efficacy.
It needs to be said that this is a coach who's only recently figured out that Vis, Smid, and Gilbert have been his best D. Even though Vis and Gilbert play nothing like Quinn would.
Once again your dislike of Quinn bleeds into the conversation - excellent use of the word "lad" though . I like Visnovsky but he is just an extremely physically weak player and he is terrible at handling an opponent in front of his own net .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I bought the package before the season started. I am still supporting the Economic Embargo. Are you?

The "Economic Embargo" was your own idea and conclusion, not mine or any one else's. I bought a 1/4 season ticket pass at the beginning of the season, and have one to go. I probably couldn't give it away right now, but after the trade deadline, dependent on what happens, I'd like to attend just to see what some new players are like. PPV - not for me. I bought some earlier in the year, but their track record when I buy is not very good. Mind you, when you lose 4 out of every 5 games, it's probably a safe bet.
If the team gets better, plays entertaining hockey, shows promise, and some smart moves are made, I'll buy another 1/4 season pass, and may also buy the odd PPV, regardless of who is still at the controls.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Stoneman89

[QUOTE=Philly85;23941804]He's been awful in pretty much every aspect, particularly on the PK (can't emphasize this enough, he's just atrocious on PK haha...), but I do like him, if that's somehow possible. Like the OP has stated, I realize he's in way over his head and injuries have forced him into these situations.

Barely, barely an NHL'er at this point though. See him on the ice for so many goals against I've simply decided to get over it completely.[/QUOTE]

He's helping the cause, man, helping the cause.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
The "Economic Embargo" was your own idea and conclusion, not mine or any one else's. I bought a 1/4 season ticket pass at the beginning of the season, and have one to go. I probably couldn't give it away right now, but after the trade deadline, dependent on what happens, I'd like to attend just to see what some new players are like. PPV - not for me. I bought some earlier in the year, but their track record when I buy is not very good. Mind you, when you lose 4 out of every 5 games, it's probably a safe bet.
If the team gets better, plays entertaining hockey, shows promise, and some smart moves are made, I'll buy another 1/4 season pass, and may also buy the odd PPV, regardless of who is still at the controls.
I think one thing that will get people at the end of the year is Eberle. He can play 9 games once the Pats are eliminated. I'd suspect from a marketing point of view they make sure he plays all the remaining home games during that span.

I went to lots of games towards the end of the season when we sucked over the past 10 years, and it's like watching a pre-season game at the end of the year. You get to see how some of the guys that you saw in pre-season actually developed over the year. Might not be what people paid for, but it is something to watch.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Its never easy when you have to break trail but if the team misses the playoffs for the next couple of years I think you could see the wheels fall off and the economic embargo bandwagon will start to fill up.

Old
02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Struds is a pretty reliable 5-7 guy who's game doesn't change no matter what. I would think Quinn uses him because he knows what he's going to get. Also, he's likely on the move here at the deadline because he's cheap and decent. He'd be a good depth addition for a playoff bound team.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
43 was on the ice for 2 of the 3 PP goals against Anaheim and on for a total of 5 goals the last game.

43 was also on the ice for the PP goal scored by ANA on Feb 10th, as well as the Flames only PP goal against us Jan 30th, once again against Chicago on Jan 26th the only PP goal they scored was when 43 was on the ice, then against Dallas on the 22 of Jan he was again on the ice when Dallas scored their only PP goal against us. Against Vancouver on Jan 20th he was on the ice for the GTG on the PK as well as the GWG for Vancouver when the Oilers were on the PK.

Do I have to go on. He is not a bad player but he is Terrible on the PK and why the Oilers keep putting him out there is beyond me.
Were they his errors? Did he cause turnovers, or fail to clear the puck, or make some sort of mistake that led to the goal? Being on the ice for a goal against isn't the be-all-end-all of how good a player is.

I'm not saying he never makes mistakes, either. He's been solely responsible for many goals that I can remember. But, he's also playing in the top 4, which is above his skill level, and playing twice as many minutes a night as he can handle. He's a workhorse. The point is that he's making an honest effort, at 35 years old, to play in a position he wasn't cut out for in his prime. And that's commendable. He's playing in place of Sheldon Souray, and Strudwick is no Sheldon Souray. It's not his fault the coach tells him to go out in those situations. All he can do is try his best, and he definitely brings a strong work ethic to the table every night.

Well, I guess this turned out to be a bash Strudwick type of thread after all. Are we Oiler fans capable of showing respect for anyone on this team?

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Struds is a pretty reliable 5-7 guy who's game doesn't change no matter what. I would think Quinn uses him because he knows what he's going to get. Also, he's likely on the move here at the deadline because he's cheap and decent. He'd be a good depth addition for a playoff bound team.
Hardly depth. He's an AHL defenseman. These guys can be picked up for absolutely nothing and there are better options than Jason Strudwick who will be available at the deadline. If I was a team looking to acquire some depth on D, and Jason Strudwick was for whatever reason one of my final and only choices to select, I'd be hesitant to give up a 7th round pick. Dude is a pilon out there. But I love it.

Last edited by Philly85: 02-16-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Were they his errors? Did he cause turnovers, or fail to clear the puck, or make some sort of mistake that led to the goal? Being on the ice for a goal against isn't the be-all-end-all of how good a player is.

I'm not saying he never makes mistakes, either. He's been solely responsible for many goals that I can remember. But, he's also playing in the top 4, which is above his skill level, and playing twice as many minutes a night as he can handle. He's a workhorse. The point is that he's making an honest effort, at 35 years old, to play in a position he wasn't cut out for in his prime. And that's commendable. He's playing in place of Sheldon Souray, and Strudwick is no Sheldon Souray. It's not his fault the coach tells him to go out in those situations. All he can do is try his best, and he definitely brings a strong work ethic to the table every night.

Well, I guess this turned out to be a bash Strudwick type of thread after all. Are we Oiler fans capable of showing respect for anyone on this team?

-JH.
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say in the op . Since the Oilers aren't winning anyway - and are giving up goals for free every game - I just wanted to point out the effort we are getting from Strudwick . No matter what the score is Strudwick defends with a kind of urgency that to me seems lacking in some of our other defenders . I guess people here aren't impressed by that at all . Myself when I watch Struwick play more than 15 minutes on the PK over back to back nights I think it deserves some recognition .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say in the op . Since the Oilers aren't winning anyway - and are giving up goals for free every game - I just wanted to point out the effort we are getting from Strudwick . No matter what the score is Strudwick defends with a kind of urgency that to me seems lacking in some of our other defenders . I guess people here aren't impressed by that at all . Myself when I watch Struwick play more than 15 minutes on the PK over back to back nights I think it deserves some recognition .
You arent the only one to notice and appreciate.

Old
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Hardly depth. He's an AHL defenseman. These guys can be picked up for absolutely nothing and there are better options than Jason Strudwick who will be available at the deadline. If I was a team looking to acquire some depth on D, and Jason Strudwick was for whatever reason one of my final and only choices to select, I'd be hesitant to give up a 7th round pick. Dude is a pilon out there. But I love it.
Yeah. I actually like Strudwick, the person, the attitude, the good guy solid influence on kids that will do anything asked of him.

But having said that he's been plain awful. He can't play in this league at this point.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Rafters

Pump and Dump.......

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

I'd love the to see Struds back again next year. Look how he helped Chorney and Plante. Not to mention he doesn't complain about being in the pressbox.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:46 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post

-JH.
I have no idea but what I do know is that if you look at the last games played back to the 20th (I could not get the Coyotes game summary to show) he has been on the ice for every single one of the PP goals scored against the Oilers. That cannot be just a coincidence. I could go back further, I didn't have time but there is a trend here, and not a good one either. If he wasn't on the Oilers PK would it be better?

Just to set the record straight I don't dislike the guy at all and it's not his fault he is played on the PK.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah. I actually like Strudwick, the person, the attitude, the good guy solid influence on kids that will do anything asked of him.

But having said that he's been plain awful. He can't play in this league at this point.
Much like Mr. Staios, except for a fraction of the cost.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Much like Mr. Staios, except for a fraction of the cost.
And a fraction of the ability. It's not even close. Staios is overpaid, and he's not the player he used to be, but compared to Strudwick he's a star.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
I have no idea but what I do know is that if you look at the last games played back to the 20th (I could not get the Coyotes game summary to show) he has been on the ice for every single one of the PP goals scored against the Oilers. That cannot be just a coincidence. I could go back further, I didn't have time but there is a trend here, and not a good one either. If he wasn't on the Oilers PK would it be better?

Just to set the record straight I don't dislike the guy at all and it's not his fault he is played on the PK.
Entirely agree.

Especially with the last point. Take a guy that bleeds goals in any situation and on 5 on 5 and give him big pk minutes..

If this makes any sense I'm not seeing it.

Heres an analogy.

The guy can't swim, so make sure to throw him in the deep end with the sharks so at least the dying is quick..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Care to make a wager on whether or not he gets moved at the deadline? Avatar bet?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote