HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Is The Best Local Hockey Player At Each Position?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2010, 09:45 AM
  #1
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Who Is The Best Local Hockey Player At Each Position?

Vote being held on MSG.com

Kovalchuk winning Forward

Staal winning Defense

and Marty winning Goalie


VOTE PEOPLE!!!!

http://www.msg.com/best/

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
  #2
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Kovalchuk, Paul Martin, Marty.

I find this somewhat ridiculous that Del Zotto has the same numbers as Martin.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 09:53 AM
  #3
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
BEST TODAY.... Marty is no where NEAR Lundqvist

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
  #4
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
keep it up!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
  #5
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,157
vCash: 500
Gaborik
Martin
Lundqvist

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
  #6
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Gaborik
Staal
Lundqvist

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:43 AM
  #7
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,136
vCash: 500
Ranger homers have taken over...Gabby/Lundqvist/Staal all winning by a lot

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
  #8
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
I went with Gaborik, Martin, Lundqvist.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:04 PM
  #9
nyr2417
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
BEST TODAY.... Marty is no where NEAR Lundqvist
Not even saying this as a homer but i believe lundqvist is not only better than marty right now but he is on a different level playing wise right now. With the quality shots he faces, spectacular saves he makes, hank is on another level at this point in time.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
  #10
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
Gaborik, Martin, Lundqvist imo

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
  #11
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
lol at anyone who thinks that Lundqvist is better than Brodeur right now.

Brodeur's rebound control and ability to play the puck alone is enough to make him the best locally.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
  #12
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Brodeur's rebound control and ability to play the puck alone is enough to make him the best locally.
WHAT?!!!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
  #13
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,123
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
lol at anyone who thinks that Lundqvist is better than Brodeur right now.

Brodeur's rebound control and ability to play the puck alone is enough to make him the best locally.
If you compare the statistics and anecdotal performance of the two goalies, taking into account the quality of the team in front of them, I think that you'd come to a different conclusion. Talking just this season.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
  #14
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
WHAT?!!!
my point being is that brodeur is better than lundqvist straight up, and if you think its close, his rebound control and is ability to play the puck easily separates them.


Last edited by otto1219: 02-16-2010 at 12:57 PM.
otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
  #15
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If you compare the statistics and anecdotal performance of the two goalies, taking into account the quality of the team in front of them, I think that you'd come to a different conclusion. Talking just this season.
i understand the argument in terms of this season, but that is what makes Brodeur so good, his angles, rebound control, and ability to play the puck can reduce quality scoring chances so drastically that it cuts back on the quality shots.

Do not get me wrong, the devils are much better than the rangers, but how much better is their defense? Seriously, would salmella be playing on the Rangers? Would Mike Mottau? Marty lets in some weak goals, but so does Lundqvist. This is a matter of opinion, and unfortunately a lot of people are biased to choose their own goalie. Brodeur would be a huge favorite on the Devils board. I think we get enamored with Lundqvist's incredible saves, where Marty just makes everything just look so easy that its hard to tell how hard the saves he makes. Regardless, they are different style goalies, its damn near impossible to compare their styles.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
  #16
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Ranger homers have taken over...Gabby/Lundqvist/Staal all winning by a lot
lol yep

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
  #17
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Brodeur is an old school stand up and kick goaltender.. playing the angles... please

and he doesnt make saves look easy... he makes easy shots look like a great save.

Lundqvist now >>>>> Brodeur now. Not even an arguement IMO

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
  #18
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Brodeur is an old school stand up and kick goaltender.. playing the angles... please

Lundqvist now >>>>> Brodeur now. Not even an arguement IMO
Brodeur's seven shutouts this year disagrees. And he plays hybrid not standup. the dude is gonna finish with 40+ wins, lundqvist will not

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
  #19
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,194
vCash: 500
yeah we took over these polls haha

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
  #20
Abooch68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Whoever thinks that Brodeur is better than Lundqvist needs to think about that. I mean look at Lundqvist's record against Marty, and the team and system that Marty has/had in front of him. All time now that is a different story..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
  #21
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,123
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
i understand the argument in terms of this season, but that is what makes Brodeur so good, his angles, rebound control, and ability to play the puck can reduce quality scoring chances so drastically that it cuts back on the quality shots.

Do not get me wrong, the devils are much better than the rangers, but how much better is their defense? Seriously, would salmella be playing on the Rangers? Would Mike Mottau? Marty lets in some weak goals, but so does Lundqvist. This is a matter of opinion, and unfortunately a lot of people are biased to choose their own goalie. Brodeur would be a huge favorite on the Devils board. I think we get enamored with Lundqvist's incredible saves, where Marty just makes everything just look so easy that its hard to tell how hard the saves he makes. Regardless, they are different style goalies, its damn near impossible to compare their styles.
That all may be so, but I look at their stats this season (again taking into account their teams) and the edge is certainly to Henke. Lundqvist has a .920 SV% to Marty's .910. And yet Lundqvist's GAA is .09 points higher than Marty, indicating to me a significant discrepancy in quality of team in front of each goalie.

I hear what you're saying on Marty's great rebound control and puck handling ability, but I think that edge is mitigated by the superior Devils defense. I think if you put Henrik on NJD this season and Marty on NYR, NJD would be even better and NYR would be even worse.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
  #22
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That all may be so, but I look at their stats this season (again taking into account their teams) and the edge is certainly to Henke. Lundqvist has a .920 SV% to Marty's .910. And yet Lundqvist's GAA is .09 points higher than Marty, indicating to me a significant discrepancy in quality of team in front of each goalie.

I hear what you're saying on Marty's great rebound control and puck handling ability, but I think that edge is mitigated by the superior Devils defense. I think if you put Henrik on NJD this season and Marty on NYR, NJD would be even better and NYR would be even worse.
I see your points and I would probably agree with you if they switched teams that Lundqvists stats would probably be better.

ESPN and Yahoo has Brodeur's save percentage at .915, but hockeydb which im sure you used has it at .910 for some reason. And So the difference isn't that much.

The numbers that stand out to me is

1. The 7 shutouts by Brodeur to Lundqvists 2.
2. The devils ONLY have a +18 goal differential and the Rangers have a -8. Though significant, we are not talking about the capitals and sharks who are well above +50.
3. The Rangers have the 6th best pk to the Devils 18th. I know goaltending has a lot to do with penalty killing, but if people are talking systems.
4. The fact that the devils best defenseman has played only nine games this season.
5. I also dont want to split hairs, but the devils have been atrocious lately so Martys stats took a dive as he was top 5 in save percentage and goals against almost all season. Lundqvist i dont believe has been in the top 5 in any category after November.

I am just saying, i think a lot of people hate Brodeur and love Lundqvist (which is fine) but that is why a lot of people are saying so decisively that Lundqvist is better. Similarly why people are saying are saying the Rangers have the three best in each category for this poll.

My opinion, gun to my head, in a big game this year, i would take Brodeur. Its my opinion. Hopefully we could see them both in action in such a scenario in Vancouver in the next few weeks.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
  #23
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Brodeur's seven shutouts this year disagrees.
its a team game, he didn't do it on his own.

a defensive system has carried this slightly above average goaltender his whole career.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
  #24
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Quote:
but the devils have been atrocious lately so Martys stats took a dive
Not Martys fault of course.

Why is it that every time the devils play bad its not because Marty plays bad... its the people in front of him.

Why is it that every goal that goes in... seems to be a defensemans fault or anyone elses other than the great Marty?

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
  #25
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Not Martys fault of course.

Why is it that every time the devils play bad its not because Marty plays bad... its the people in front of him.

Why is it that every goal that goes in... seems to be a defensemans fault or anyone elses other than the great Marty?
Just like when the Rangers lose eight out of ten its not at all Lundqvist's fault?

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.