HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Is The Best Local Hockey Player At Each Position?

Old
02-17-2010, 12:16 AM
NY Ranger86

vCash: 500
Quote:
my point is in this kind of system even average goalies are made look great.
this.

sorry.

And Dryden, Plante, Roy, Hall, Hasek, Parent... cmon..
Quote:
2nd or 3rd greatest goalie of all time
?? Just my opinion guys.

Not taking away from how long hes played and how consistant... but again IMO.. Put a Richter or a ___fill-in-the-blank___ with the devils through the years and you'd be talking about that same goalie as "greatest ever". The Devils TEAM has always been 2nd to the great Marty and I think that is not fair.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Dgrohl8

Gabby
Staal
Hank

Kovalchuk is a elite talent but Gaborik healthy is the better player. Parise should def be discussed but he just isn't in their league

Hank is better at this point in his career then Marty

Staal isnt even rivaled in this category which is a tad bit weird

Dgrohl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Fletch

it's the system - one that somehow they've kept in place for 16 years, several coaches and numerous defensive and forward personnel. And here I am thinking that one of the successful cogs to the system was the one thing that has been constant throughout that entire period, and that's the goalie.

To be honest, this is always a tough thing to evaluate. When it comes to goaltending, too often people say put Joe Schmo in there and he'll return equal results. Put Lundvist in a better defensive system and he automatically will become better. I don't believe that's always the case. Some goalies stand on their own, some are product of the system. Some goalies have a style that's best suited for certain systems. Perhaps Marty couldn't survive behind the Rangers' swiss cheese. Perhaps he would thrive. Perhaps Lundqvist couldn't get used to the angles and feels more comfortable moving around a bit and maybe he still gives up a soft goal or two. Perhaps he doesn't have as many 5+ goal games, but perhaps he still doesn't get as many shutouts, as to me, shutouts have about as much to do with the goalie's mental attitude as anything else in many cases. Even in a tight defensive system you're going to face a tough shot here and there, and again, you can always give up that third period goal while up 3-0, which, while meaningless, leads to the loss of a shutout.

I'm going to say one more time: both organizations are lucky to have the goaltender they have. Neither would trade either for each other. Both are great. Lundqvist, though, still has a ways to go to be considered in Marty's company. If you want to consider this season, or recent seasons, then you have to consider them to be near equals, with the nod going to Lundqvist for Rangers fans and to Marty for Devils fans.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Richierich262

Send a message via AIM to Richierich262
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Haha yeah all the way up to 2nd or 3rd greatest goalie of all time. Come on now dude, take your Devil-hating glasses off for a second or two.
thats funny because your picture is making fun of sather...so u should get your ranger hating glasses off buddy

marty is one of the best of all time but henrik is playing better now
take marty off the devils and they will still be a contending team as we saw last year...take henrik off the rangers and oh boy...

Richierich262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:15 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richierich262 View Post
thats funny because your picture is making fun of sather...so u should get your ranger hating glasses off buddy

marty is one of the best of all time but henrik is playing better now
take marty off the devils and they will still be a contending team as we saw last year...take henrik off the rangers and oh boy...
amen

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 07:39 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Roloson is having a better year than both Brodeur and the King. Stats wise, not quite as good, but with a non-existent defense, he has amassed a 2.86 ga, .908 sv%. That is nothing short of amazing.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 08:37 AM
mti79

Looks like the Devil fans have chimed in... Parise currently leading the forwards, Gaborik is 2nd and Kovy is 3rd. Andy Greene leading defenseman followed by Marc Staal and Paul Martin. Marty has taken the lead on Lundqvist and the Isles' goalies don't matter...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Roloson is having a better year than both Brodeur and the King. Stats wise, not quite as good, but with a non-existent defense, he has amassed a 2.86 ga, .908 sv%. That is nothing short of amazing.
Stats-wise, not nearly as good. Your point about the Isles defense is valid...but have you seen the RANGERS defense?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
NY Ranger86

Keep Voting!!!!!!!!!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Stats-wise, not nearly as good. Your point about the Isles defense is valid...but have you seen the RANGERS defense?
Good point!

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Personally I say Streit is the best defenseman.

I voted Parise, Streit, and Lundqvist.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
Personally I say Streit is the best defenseman.

I voted Parise, Streit, and Lundqvist.
I went Gaborik, Martin, Lundqvist.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Kovalchuk, Martin, na on the last one. I generally defer on Lundqvist V Marty polls.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote