HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pitkanen Questions

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 12:33 PM
beeker16

vCash: 500
Pitkanen Questions

Hi, just wondering if you guys could clear something up about Pitkanen.

I remember reading Hitch saying he would not start Pitkanen for the playoffs due to something such as he didn't want to see a young player get his confidence crushed or something in the POs.

Well I see Hitch is obviously playing him now.

Is he still getting his normal minutes or is Hitch using him in a limited role?
What else has Hitch said about him?

Thanks.

Old
04-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
As far as I know, Joni has about 15 min of ice time per match, and he contributes regularly on the PP.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

He played almost 16 mins last game, which is up from the Devils series where he averaged about 12.

His ice time has been tailored back a little bit from the regular season, but not by a ton. It's also important to point out that Joni doesn't kill penalties. Pitkanen has been one of the biggest factors in the success of the Flyers powerplay this season.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:17 PM
beeker16

thanks for the feedback guys.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:20 PM
RoDu

Hitch had to revise his plans when Desjardins re-injured his busted arm

Old
04-24-2004, 10:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Hitch had to revise his plans when Desjardins re-injured his busted arm
worked out well, joni had that nice assist to recchi in game 2 i think it was.

Old
04-25-2004, 11:13 AM
slapshotflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
worked out well, joni had that nice assist to recchi in game 2 i think it was.
It was Game 2, nice play between Johnsson and Joni and Recchi finished it off with a one-timer.

Old
04-25-2004, 02:44 PM
stanley

At this point in time, I'd still rather have Desjardins back there.

Old
04-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
At this point in time, I'd still rather have Desjardins back there.
right....but he's hurt

Old
04-26-2004, 05:07 AM
capn89*

Watching the last game (game 2) I'm a bit worried about Joni. I didn't understand, back at the start of the playoffs, why Hitch didn't want to play him... but I'm begginning to see why. He's not ripping the puck like he used to, he's firing weak wristers at the net (on the rar occasion that he does shoot) but the biggest thing I've noticed is that he looks really lost out there. He seems to be getting beat to pucks, and beat on plays where the forward carries it in on him 1 on 1. I don't know if it's nerves, if the game's at a high intensity than anything he's seen before or if he's just lost something. The Flyers as a defensive whole need to tighten up, but I noticed Joni a lot... and that's usually not a good thing for a defenseman.

Old
04-26-2004, 05:12 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
Watching the last game (game 2) I'm a bit worried about Joni. I didn't understand, back at the start of the playoffs, why Hitch didn't want to play him... but I'm begginning to see why. He's not ripping the puck like he used to, he's firing weak wristers at the net (on the rar occasion that he does shoot) but the biggest thing I've noticed is that he looks really lost out there. He seems to be getting beat to pucks, and beat on plays where the forward carries it in on him 1 on 1. I don't know if it's nerves, if the game's at a high intensity than anything he's seen before or if he's just lost something. The Flyers as a defensive whole need to tighten up, but I noticed Joni a lot... and that's usually not a good thing for a defenseman.
You know, Joni might be a bit gun shy after the concussion he suffered earlier in the season. Since he returned from that injury, he hasn't displayed any of the characteristics that made him special that were so prevelant before the concussion. Hopefully if there is a mental block of some kind, he can get through it.

Old
04-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Sun Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
You know, Joni might be a bit gun shy after the concussion he suffered earlier in the season. Since he returned from that injury, he hasn't displayed any of the characteristics that made him special that were so prevelant before the concussion. Hopefully if there is a mental block of some kind, he can get through it.

What I noticed was that when Joni was on the ice, every time the puck was shot into the Philly zone (and not on net) that Esche would go behind the net and get the puck. It was almost like Esche was trying to protect Joni from getting hit behind the net. When the other lines were on Esche didn't do it as much. Maybe Joni is a little timid after the concussion hit.
I don't think he is playing with the same confidence as before but he's doing okay. When you're not getting the same ice time as you were you have a tendency to be afraid of making a mistake and play a little more reserved, which is the opposite of what you should be doing.

Closed Thread